BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Buying advice M2 or M2 Comp?

04-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #155
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

The exhaust thing is so interesting to me. Like most people, I agree that the OG sounds better than the comp or CS. And I certainly enjoy a nice sounding vehicle.

But the thought exercise I keep coming back to is this: if you had a car that sounded good, would you want an aftermarket exhaust that makes your car sound worse if it also added 40 hp? Conversely, if your car sounded bad, would you want an exhaust that fixes that problem at the cost of 40 lost HP?
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
MooMooM21812.00
      04-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #156
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
The exhaust thing is so interesting to me. Like most people, I agree that the OG sounds better than the comp or CS. And I certainly enjoy a nice sounding vehicle.

But the thought exercise I keep coming back to is this: if you had a car that sounded good, would you want an aftermarket exhaust that makes your car sound worse if it also added 40 hp? Conversely, if your car sounded bad, would you want an exhaust that fixes that problem at the cost of 40 lost HP?
I love myself a nice sounding car, but whether it's the B55 or S55 - whichever way you turn it the M2 is NOT a nice sounding car. And this is coming from someone with a $5k+ M-performance exhaust.

This is why I don't understand these exhaust arguments. However you turn it, one just sounds less bad than the other but at the end of the day neither is good. The M50i exhaust wipes the floor with a "perforamnce" car, and it's a family hauler. There is no replacement for displacement when it comes to exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 05:36 PM   #157
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
I love myself a nice sounding car, but whether it's the B55 or S55 - whichever way you turn it the M2 is NOT a nice sounding car. And this is coming from someone with a $5k+ M-performance exhaust.

This is why I don't understand these exhaust arguments. However you turn it, one just sounds less bad than the other but at the end of the day neither is good. The M50i exhaust wipes the floor with a "performance" car, and it's a family hauler. There is no replacement for displacement when it comes to exhausts.
Some people actually HATE the sound of the S55. To those people, perhaps the N55 is better because it doesn't constantly annoy them. I could live with the S55 myself, it's fine from the driver's seat, but I know others just can't stand it.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
mtoosexy729.00
      04-09-2021, 06:11 PM   #158
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

This is why I don't understand these exhaust arguments. However you turn it, one just sounds less bad than the other but at the end of the day neither is good. The M50i exhaust wipes the floor with a "performance" car, and it's a family hauler. There is no replacement for displacement when it comes to exhausts.
Some people actually HATE the sound of the S55. To those people, perhaps the N55 is better because it doesn't constantly annoy them. I could live with the S55 myself, it's fine from the driver's seat, but I know others just can't stand it.
Some people like the "music" that this weirdo named Lady Gaga makes. Only thing I can conclude is that what sounds good is entirely subjective.
Appreciate 1
Davil6485.50
      04-09-2021, 07:19 PM   #159
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
That was my point, they all sound bad - one just worse than the other. People are talking as if we're comparing a Ferrari V12 vs a Fiat Uno I'd be the first one to say that I'd pick one because it sounds A LOT BETTER, but the fact of the matter is, they are both "blah."

Again, all of this is objective. Just like some may prefer the S55 over the N55.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 07:22 PM   #160
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Some people like the "music" that this weirdo named Lady Gaga makes. Only thing I can conclude is that what sounds good is entirely subjective.
Agreed, all subjective. And lady gaga actually does have a decent voice, her music is just not up to everyone's taste.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-09-2021, 08:12 PM   #161
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Just back from a nice flog in my S54-equipped Z4MC. The exhaust on these cars is criminally quiet - completely different and far quieter than a stock E46 M3 of the era. But the side benefit is that all you hear is what's going on under the hood, and glorious music it is, especially in the upper ranges as you approach the 8k redline. And explore those ranges you do, because peak power isn't hit till 7900.

Nobody needs to defend or get into pissing matches about their M2 choice - pick the one that's right for you and enjoy it.
      04-10-2021, 12:14 AM   #162
StevenX94
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Good to see this thread back in action!

Was at the dealer yesterday, they unfortunately didn't have an OG M2 for test driving but i test drove the M2C and an M340i.
S55 and B58 back to back.
I know that we are focusing on N55 vs S55 here but I do hear and read about many saying that the B58 is just a much better and newer N55 regarding power delivery and feel.

So firstly I hop into the M2C.
-Sound: The engine is loud but not very good sounding. Almost as expected reading everyones thoughts here.

-Power delivery: The S55 is insane. The first acceleration was pedal to the metal from a stop, got wheel spin because of the immense amount of horsepower. Then I kind of felt how it should be be done so I went a bit easier on it.
The car was kind of quite at the start of an easy acceleration but once you start press that accelerator the engine just transforms into an this angry monster which gives you never ending power across the whole rev range.
The dealership guy said that is the thing with the S55, it just never says "thats my limit im done", it just gives you more and more. This point of comparision was clearly felt after the B58 testdrive.

Comfort: The car was not that harsh as some state here on M2s. Seats were comfy and I did not really feel potholes and bumps. But then again, haven't driven the OG yet so cant compare. I just liked the suspension on this.

The car is aggresive, the turbos were clearly heard sometimes as well as how the DCT was shifting. Very envolving car.

M340i:
Hopped into this car after the M2C.

Sound: Actually slightly better than the M2C. A bit more grunt but absolutly not a decisive difference. Giving M2C sound 5/10
M340i 6/10.

Power deilvery: Very quick at the intial acceleration, maybe even a bit quicker than the M2C at the fist initial seconds of acceleration, due to a fabulous shifting transmission and smoothness of this engine. BUT, as soon as you pick up speed you just feel where the engine will soon be "tired". Most power is only at the start. This engine may beat the S55 in just the take off, but not after that. (Is the N55 like that?)

Comfort: Super comfy as expected. Bigger car, better suspension but much quiter. Feels more of a fast family car. It is actually sad seeing that much power in a quite car. BMW should have made it a tiny bit more aggresive.

My choice was without a doubt M2C. Waiting for the dealer to get one which is just a tad little used as the price of the one they had was of the roof due to extra unneeded specs and it was almost 0 miles new.

Regarding the OG M2, I will look for a dealer neaby which has one for test driving, just for the sake of totally justifiing my choice. Do you guys think I will be shocked over it being almost like the M2C and thus changing my mind to it being a cheaper car? Or is the N55 more of a downgraded B58 thus keeping my choice of an M2C?

Last edited by StevenX94; 04-10-2021 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2021, 03:05 PM   #163
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Just back from a nice flog in my S54-equipped Z4MC. The exhaust on these cars is criminally quiet - completely different and far quieter than a stock E46 M3 of the era. But the side benefit is that all you hear is what's going on under the hood, and glorious music it is, especially in the upper ranges as you approach the 8k redline. And explore those ranges you do, because peak power isn't hit till 7900.

Nobody needs to defend or get into pissing matches about their M2 choice - pick the one that's right for you and enjoy it.
Off topic but if you don't have one you should get a cf plenum for the s54. I'm sure you would love the sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 11:53 PM   #164
stormhammer
Rep
Drives: Java Green M4

Quote:
Again, you should stick to facts. Not sure how you came up to the conclusion that I bought the car new. I actually bought a CPO for less than new with a longer warranty.

If you think your N55 appreciated $4k in 2 years, you need to revisit your numbers.

It sounds like you are new to BMW. If you weren't you would know that the whole platform has switched to front wheel drive. It is very doubtful that BMW would ever put an S58 into a 2 series - but I didn't expect you to know that based on your response.

Lastly, the best way to look at this is - point me to the members who have "upgraded" from an M2C to an M2 vs M2 to M2C. I think that alone clarifies everything. I test drove both and M2C is clearly the better car which is why people are buying it despite the M2 being 30% less expensive. If you were to go to the M2C forums and try to convince people to get the M2, people would probably think it's a joke...

There may be slight differences where some smaller things may be preferrable to some on the OG M2 (which is subjective), but M2C is a clear evolution of the OG M2, no two ways about it. Any other way you put it and you only sound like you are getting buyers remorse.
While doing my research on the F87, I had to login and point this out
Appreciate 1
donkey464.00
      03-02-2024, 12:09 AM   #165
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Aged like milk, that one
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 07:12 AM   #166
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

I stand by my post on 3/19/2021
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 06:43 AM   #167
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
That was my point, they all sound bad - one just worse than the other. People are talking as if we're comparing a Ferrari V12 vs a Fiat Uno I'd be the first one to say that I'd pick one because it sounds A LOT BETTER, but the fact of the matter is, they are both "blah."

Again, all of this is objective. Just like some may prefer the S55 over the N55.
I mean, it's literally the only thing insecure OG owners have going for them. Don't bring logic into this, just let them have it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:59 AM   #168
spavlas77
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87), X4 M40i (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
I mean, it's literally the only thing insecure OG owners have going for them. Don't bring logic into this, just let them have it.
And much more predictable and linear power and torque curve. And cheaper repair bills. And nicer wheels.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 10:40 AM   #169
Philly_sweden
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [9.50]
2017 BMW M2   [7.83]
The OG is the best sounding M2 and the Comp is the worst sounding M2. That’s just facts
      03-07-2024, 03:11 PM   #170
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Guys, just get out the ruler and be done with it 😂
Appreciate 1
Enabled1406.00
      03-07-2024, 08:03 PM   #171
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spavlas77 View Post
And much more predictable and linear power and torque curve. And cheaper repair bills. And nicer wheels.
so does a Honda civic. What's your point?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 07:05 AM   #172
Sled2105
Rep
Drives: 17 AW M2, 16 Miata

The comp has the better motor, the OG has better sound. They look almost identical with minor changes and both are between 360-410 hp. The OG is cheaper to run on the road and track but the comp has better brakes if that is really a dealbreaker for you. That's all anyone really needs to know, they're both great vehicles. Drive both before you buy and have fun! The OG fit in my budget since I wanted to still keep my ND Miata.
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      03-08-2024, 09:01 AM   #173
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled2105 View Post
The comp has the better motor, the OG has better sound. They look almost identical with minor changes and both are between 360-410 hp. The OG is cheaper to run on the road and track but the comp has better brakes if that is really a dealbreaker for you. That's all anyone really needs to know, they're both great vehicles. Drive both before you buy and have fun! The OG fit in my budget since I wanted to still keep my ND Miata.
S55 for track, n55 for everywhere else.
      03-08-2024, 10:35 AM   #174
spavlas77
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87), X4 M40i (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
so does a Honda civic. What's your point?
Nothing precise. I was just pointing out that the OG has more advantages than just the sound as you were saying.

The M2C was only made because N55 did not conform with EU emission limits. It is a car made out of necessity, not because BMW wanted to improve the OG M2. As they undoubtedly did with M2CS.

They both have their quirks and they both have things they are better at than the other. For instance, I would in no way want to exchange my OG for an M2C, even if it was for free as I do not see the M2C as the next step in the car world. I highly value the fact that I always know what my OG will do. I did not feel the same with M2C.
I would love to own the CS though.
Appreciate 3
philth189.50
qnet681.50
      03-08-2024, 11:11 AM   #175
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
But the thought exercise I keep coming back to is this: if you had a car that sounded good, would you want an aftermarket exhaust that makes your car sound worse if it also added 40 hp?
Not at all. Not even if it was 50 lbs lighter. But sound is very important to me.

Quote:
Conversely, if your car sounded bad, would you want an exhaust that fixes that problem at the cost of 40 lost HP?
Hell yes, all day long. You could take 80 hp from the OG and it wouldn't be any less fun IMO. In fact, I absolutely believe that I made the car less fun by going Stage 2. Waste of money IMO.
Appreciate 2
philth189.50
      03-08-2024, 12:13 PM   #176
timchump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 OG -> M2 Comp

How come you think it less was fun going stage 2?
Did the turbo take longer to pick up with a larger intercooler?
Appreciate 0