BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Kimchi and Rice - A Build Saga (M2C) (Schirmer Page 9)

02-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #177
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Chapter 3

Schirmer GT wing + other bits

Thus starts the next chapter of the M2C build.

If you asked me a year ago if I'd ever do aero, I'd say absolutely not - but here we are! I was really looking for something more aggressive to complete the rear of the car but I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want to do M Performance because it's just so small, but the other side of the spectrum wings were too big. When I saw the Schirmer wing in person I thought "if I got a wing, it'd be this one!" But the problem was, they didn't really sell parts outside of Germany. Bummer!

Then all of a sudden they're working on an online store, the tease it mercilessly for like 4 months, then finally it's open!

And shipping is 600 euros.

So I decided to figure out another way to get the wing without paying 600 euros but nothing really worked. I went back and forth for at least 2 or 3 weeks on if it was worth 600 euros in shipping... And then I decided it was, so I hopped on their site, put the wing in the cart, went to check out...

And shipping dropped to like 299 euros.

Taking that as a sign, I immediately bought it and it arrived at my house about a week and a half later.

I wanted to round out the look of the car, so I bought two more things - I got a Turner skid plate (Which you won't see, but I got it because it's less bulky than the Fall Line I had) and a Lightweight front lip. Can't have a wing without a front lip.

So I got everything in order, threw it in the car, then took it to get installed.

Being the terrible photographer that I am, I completely forgot to get a picture of the Turner skid plate installed. I'll get one in a few weeks when the car is back on the lift. But I will say this - direct fit piece, no modifications required, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again!

Now the Lightweight lip... somehow the lip for the M135i made its way into a M2C box so... That didn't get installed and it'll be a few weeks as I sort that one out and get a new one.

Side note: exhaust is coloring in nicely!

On to the main topic!

I was incredibly apprehensive to drill into the trunk. But in the end, with money, you can always go back. So we took the plunge.

So final verdict -

It's a really well made piece. I think it's the perfect size to fit the M2 and is able to display a level of aggressiveness. I just installed it so I haven't had a chance to test out the performance but I'll be at the track next month to test it. I am not a track warrior but I am definitely anticipating a 50% reduction in my lap times by having this piece installed.

Interesting note, the side plates are thicker with this newer version of the wing than the original Schirmer GT wing. There is also an additional hole in the end plates, which either acts as weep hole for the wing or it's for additional adjustment of the end plates... Either way, that's another difference between the original and the current one on sale.

I am happy that the level of aftermarket support and development is this high for the F87 chassis. I think a lot about what my next car will be, as I won't be keeping the M2 forever... But every time I try to think of a replacement, it's with a car that's double or triple in price. So I made a promise to myself that I'm keeping the car for two more years, minimum.

smknjoe234.00
      03-05-2021, 08:28 PM   #178
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
I spent about two years building my S2000

Looks a bit familiar, didn't you use to upload POV videos on YT from your canyon "touge" runs by any chance?
      03-06-2021, 02:42 AM   #179
Stryyker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 LBB M2C

+1 for a clean build
Appreciate 1
warrenw1084.00
      03-07-2021, 12:28 AM   #180
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Looks a bit familiar, didn't you use to upload POV videos on YT from your canyon "touge" runs by any chance?
No. Plus I never lived in the bay area.

That's Andrew, he's still around. He posts over on s2ki every once in awhile.
      03-07-2021, 09:03 PM   #181
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Oh good, maybe you can enlighten me on the "peaches" stickers I keep seeing on people's rear bumpers. Don't really understand this trend. Is it a designer brand? A facebook group? Something else?
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2021, 05:31 PM   #182
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Oh good, maybe you can enlighten me on the "peaches" stickers I keep seeing on people's rear bumpers. Don't really understand this trend. Is it a designer brand? A facebook group? Something else?
Yeah it's a "company" that does a bunch of stuff - big in branding, they have a limited clothing line which is basically shirts and sweatshirts. They also have a strong media arm led by a fairly famous music video producer. They also are big into modding cars and they recently built a shop in Seoul and their mantra is they're going to build cars that are on the cusp of being illegal but are still technically legal. In Korea there are laws about ride height, front lips, bumpers, wings, etc. so they take that to the extreme kind of as a "FU" to the establishment.

Most people myself included support them because they're bringing car culture and awareness to a country where it's heavily suppressed. Every time they sponsor an event they have astronomical turnout. It's refreshing to see.

They recently did a Mercedes AMG GT which isn't for everyone but it definitely shows the passion.
https://hypebeast.com/2020/7/peaches...garage-culture
      06-20-2021, 07:53 PM   #183
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

I recently installed a Lightweight front lip. It's super sturdy and I like it better than the M Performance front lip because it stays flat on the bottom and doesn't curve up the sides. I do like how the MP front lip integrates into the bumper better, but what ultimately sold me on the Lightweight front lip was I don't feel bad about scraping plastic LOL.

Yesterday I washed the car at an indoor car wash and then took some pics. Haven't done anything else to the car recently except track it.

06-28-2021, 10:46 AM   #184
HONGCHUMZI
Slave at the company
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.29]
Looks good ��
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 12:00 AM   #185
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONGCHUMZI View Post
Looks good ��
      09-10-2021, 01:35 AM   #186
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

What's up.

So since my last post I haven't added any modifications but I have gone to the track several times, but stopped for the summer in July because the heat was melting my tires off. I also ate through my brake pads so had to get those replaced, and when I was in there on the pads I realized my discs were not in great shape either, so I ordered new ones and installed those yesterday.

I also replaced my Akrapovic midpipe under warranty. It was making a pretty bad buzzing sound from the mid resonator upon decel. Akrapovic was great to work with!

Track day. It's great because it's free but it's a shorter track (maybe minute laptimes) which is fine but I'd like to try something with higher speed corners.

Back at the garage for new pads and an oil change. I've been using Motul 300V and love it.

During that visit I realized I needed new discs, so I ended up buying new discs, end links, and front and rear hubs and bearings. I was convinced my bearings were going bad because of noise I was getting at the track but after inspection on the lift and diagnosing of the tech the bearings were ruled out so I ended up not installing those (now they get to sit in my closet for awhile I guess).

That turned into also doing a brake fluid flush, new brake lines, and new tires since I had only 30% tread left on my Michelins. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on more Michelins for the track (gonna make those my street tires) so I bought a set of Kumho V720 or whatever they are. I expect to go through these in about 3 track days. After that, I'll be buying a dedicated set of 18" track wheels and I'll swap back and forth between those.

09-10-2021, 01:39 AM   #187
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Next Wednesday I plan to go to Korea International Circuit (KIC) which is at the southwesternmost point of Korea (about 3.5-4 hrs from my house). I'm going with a group of about 10-15 folks and we've rented the entire track for the day. 8am-5pm of as many sessions as we can feasibly do! We're bringing a few M2C's, GT3RS, GT4, a McLaren, etc.

I'll post pics.
      11-29-2021, 12:02 AM   #188
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Kic 27/28 nov

I spent the past weekend at Korea International Circuit in Mokpo. It was a two day event with five sessions each day. It was a lot of seat time! It was also my first time there, so my initial time was a high 1.48-1.50, I quickly brought it down to 1.43 but wasn't able to eek out a 1.40.14 until the very last lap. Next time I go I want to make mid 1.30, like a 1.35 or 1.36. For reference, the Basic Performance track spec M2 is 1.25 and a friend of mine with a lot of experience at this particular track did a personal best at 1.27 in his M3, so I'm definitely slower and I think with enough practice I can eventually hit 1.30. That's my ultimate goal. The GT4 that was there did a PB of 1.23.6.

I'll just go through the pics.

I live about 3.5 hours from the track and had to be there by 8:30 to get my license, so I left my house at 4:30AM to make sure I arrived on time.

By sunrise I had made it all the way to Kunsan, with only about an hour to go.

I arrived to the track about 45 minutes early, and watched the cars unload. Some of my friends utilized a car carrier so they could bring multiple cars and just took the high speed train down. Usually the carrier is privately owned and they get about $400 round trip per car (using Seoul as a starting point), and the drivers will stay overnight and then take the cars back Sunday evening.

Since it was only 14 of us for two full days (two groups of 7), it made no sense to get a bunch of garages so we utilized 2, and the Radical's took 4 garages because they had a whole setup going on.

There was also a S2000 that came, which is very, very rare in Korea.

I couldn't have asked for better weather - low of 2C, high of 10C.

So I attended the license class and exam, which is in two parts, one is a written test and the other is a behind the wheel test where they check your knowledge of the flags.

I didn't know what was said but I could make a guess, I couldn't read the test questions so they let me pass without taking it, and I passed the behind the wheel test and then I was ready to RACE.

I also checked out the Radical setup, they have a whole system. Basically the guys pay a set fee for support for the year, then fixed cost per event, car transport, etc. Expensive hobby.

I did my first 20 minute session, trying to get a feel of the track. There are three high speed corners that I still haven't mastered and brake too much for, but after the safety video during the license class I was afraid to push it because the safety video was 30 minutes of crash footage

After that it was time for lunch.

Then back out on track.

I also rode my friend's GT3RS as taxi passenger - which was beyond fun. And of course much faster than I can drive.

And with that, as suddenly as it began, the day ended and it was time to grab dinner. Since Mokpo is an ocean town (famous for shipbuilding) we went and ate live squid and boiled octopus.

We got back to our hotel just in time to watch the last rays of sun set below the horizon.

The lights are squid boats (they use bright lights to attract the squid, then they net them) with Hyundai Heavy Marine to the side. They're currently building some gas exploration ships.

After break it was time for dinner number two.

And dinner number three.

Bedtime, then time to hit the track again!

We took the first session as a chance to take some photos on track. A friend of ours is a professional photographer, so....

Here are my own unprofessional photos.

Now time to do some sessions. If I wasn't driving, I was riding taxi trying to learn the driving line better. Also i think riding taxi in a GT2RS/GT3RS and a track spec M2 is more fun than say, taxis you find at the Nurburgring because in this instance they are going balls to the wall / hitting the curbs / etc. so it's far more exciting (IMO).

Something that is rarely talked about is at the track you're getting what, 5mpg? 4mpg? I could do about 50 minutes of track time before needing gas so I filled up several times. It's also expensive here (close to $6/gal equivalent)

I have some videos but I don't know how to embed them here, so just use your imagination to think about how awesome they might be. Lol

And with that, day two was over and it was time to go home. In the later part of the day I rode a few laps with a friend with a M3, and he showed me some places I could save some additional time. When it was my turn to go out I did that, and found 3 more seconds. So I can't wait to get back and find even more time out there.

I filled up gas again for the 4th time and drove 4 hours home, as the drive progressed more and more slag flew off my tires making beautiful ping noises as it hits my car...Priceless.

So in the end, I can now say I've gone to a real track. This one was nicer than others I've been to because it's the old F1 track from when F1 was in Korea for ~3 years. It's well designed and well maintained.

After going to the BMW Driving Center multiple times, I don't think I'll go back after trying KIC. BMW DC is more like a kids arena, it's time to go where the actual tracks are. I was contemplating buying a winter pass to KIC or Inje, but might wait until it gets warm again in the spring.

I would be remiss without mentioning that while driving on track is fun, the experience wouldn't have been complete without the people I was there with. What a fun group. Incredibly hospitable, and the environment was very confidence inspiring - people who build you up. I couldn't think of a better group to race with.

Hope you enjoyed.
FIDDIE12.00
      02-27-2022, 08:27 PM   #189
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Trying to get to the next page...
      02-27-2022, 08:28 PM   #190
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

02-27-2022, 08:29 PM   #191
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Korea International Circuit - January / February

Next page --->

Last edited by warrenw; 02-28-2022 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 12:34 AM   #192
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

02-28-2022, 01:15 AM   #193
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep