BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > Ceramic coating??

03-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #23
recycledAlva
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLT222 View Post
Of course they will perform for years. But I'm sorry to say you missed the point with your comment slightly.

Sure ceramic coat your rep mobile, but to slap coatings on practically anything that comes through the door is near mindless all because an owner has read the BS online and thinks great... My supercar could do with a ceramic coat is just stupid. The car is just going to sit in a beautiful garage not needing much looking after and that is where a wax comes in.

It's all over hyped I'm afraid, promises made that can't be upheld. You have just said above that is you get marring in the coating have it removed and re-coated, that means you have to take your car to be re-coated regular as they all get marring, so that brings me to the point of 'why bother'? If it's going to need to be re-coated because you have marring, that means a trip to the pro. Instead with a wax you can do it on your driveway, no pro fees.

Like I said, I was around when these were introduced in to the world from the Far East, they are made from chemicals that are hazardous to health so much so some coatings they recommend breathing equipment.

These companies write a book of BS, unfortunately most people read it and think that coatings are the shit.
I get where you're coming from - I had a customer come in with a 67 spotless Chevelle that wanted to have his car ceramic coated. I install Ceramic Pro and we offer 6 month, 2 year, 5 year, and lifetime warranties - he wanted the lifetime. After speaking with him and finding out that he drives the car 2-3 times a year then garages it the other 362 days I convinced him that our 2 year package would be more than sufficient for what he was looking for. No need to offer a lifetime package if the car is going to sit inside all year long and only need the occasional wipe down.

Right, ceramic coatings get marring but as I mentioned, with proper care and maintenance it is easily avoided once the car is coated. Something as simple as an ONR wipedown every 2 weeks will keep the car clean and swirl free for years (if done properly - and i educate all of my clients on proper wash methods when the vehicle is delivered back to them). The only time I have seen marring on one of my coated cars was when a customer's mobile detail guy took a broom to the side of his truck.

I know a lot of Ceramic coating companies spit nonsense. Ceramic Pro has had their fair share of outlandish advertising. But at the end of the day the point of a coating, sealant or wax is preservation and protection. You only have so much clear coat on your car - i'd rather do paint correction once and ceramic coat it once for years of protection than wax and worry about reapplying it every 3-4 weeks.

I'm just trying to be informative and helpful - is wax good? Sure and if you enjoy doing the work yourself then by all means use wax.

Are ceramic coatings good? Yes, but be wary of over the counter products - they might be inexpensive but i've seen too many DIY projects gone wrong and result in thousands more for repairs to recommend installing a coating yourself. A properly installed professional grade ceramic coating will last for years with minimal maintenance.
      03-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #24
recycledAlva
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
      03-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #25
DLT222
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
What a coincidence!?!?

The friend from those videos called me this morning. Swissvax wants to make a new wax application video for on of their waxes and they need a sick car to do so.... now guess what..

Will drop my car of next friday and have it back the tuesday after. They'll make the video for their BMW specific wax and as a little thank you they will fully detail my car with the wax of my choice...

EPIC!

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 06:13 PM   #26
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Swissvax has a "BMW specific" wax? What on earth could that contain? It's not a sealant either is it? Just a carnauba?

Edit, yeah looks like it's just heavier on the carnauba content... Don't know how that really translates to real world application but I trust their judgement on it.

Good lord 200 bucks for 200ml of carnauba seems outrageous to me (a guy that uses the same bottle of $20 collinite 845 for the past 7 years), I use their leather conditioner however and find it's one of the best in the industry.
      03-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #27
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
The guy just called out of nowhere this morning..

The "bmw" specific they want to make the video with is this one: https://www.swissvax.ch/EN/product/b...aints-200.html

That's what i normally use: https://www.swissvax.ch/EN/product/c...s-wax-200.html

And thats going to be my "thank you" wax https://www.swissvax.ch/EN/product/c...glaze-200.html

I'll post the video once available!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 02:08 AM   #28
DLT222
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIGUY1992 View Post
Swissvax has a "BMW specific" wax? What on earth could that contain? It's not a sealant either is it? Just a carnauba?

Edit, yeah looks like it's just heavier on the carnauba content... Don't know how that really translates to real world application but I trust their judgement on it.

Good lord 200 bucks for 200ml of carnauba seems outrageous to me (a guy that uses the same bottle of $20 collinite 845 for the past 7 years), I use their leather conditioner however and find it's one of the best in the industry.
Don't knock it till you have tried it. Would I use anything else.... Nope!

Ive used Swissvax for 20 years. Each 200ml jar gets me 30 applications easy. so by the time you have used and repurchased that Coli over and over, you may as well have bought some Swissvax.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #29
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:

Ive used Swissvax for 20 years. Each 200ml jar gets me 30 applications easy. so by the time you have used and repurchased that Coli over and over, you may as well have bought some Swissvax.
Fair enough, what does the Swissvax wax do differently? Smoother application, easier to buff off? Would you say it lasts significantly longer than a standard carnauba?

And I've had my bottle alone for 7 years with about 1/4 used (more dropped on the floor than used to be honest), I've heard the phrase "buy a bottle of 845 and it'll basically last a lifetime" many times. That stuff lasts forever. I could drink a bottle of collinite daily and still probably stay money ahead- but I am all ears if swissvax does something much better than the basic stuff!

You don't need to convince me to spend a little extra up front for a superior detailing product hah.
      03-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #30
oreA
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Alpine White

Quote:
I’m gonna risk being a douche here; I understand you are happy with the products you use and you clearly get great results, but if you never try anything else how do you know there’s nothing out there any better?

Just being devil’s advocate
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #31
RichyT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C, Focus RS

Got a look at my car today before i receive it on Thursday, as it turns out the supplying dealer is fairly local to me!

The car was just off the transporter and I’ve told the dealer not to wash it during PDI.

I need to confirm with my detailer by tomorrow that I’m going ahead with coating or not.

Having a think about it, and looking through my supplies in my garage. I would be able to spend a day preping the car pretty well myself, and instead of applying a ceramic coating, give a regular wax

I’m thinking the following:

Snow Foam
Wash
Rinse and dry
Iron X
Quick detailer & clay bar
DA Polish full car (Auto finesse Tipple)
Wax ( Autoglym HD)

Last edited by RichyT; 03-08-2019 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1653.00
      03-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #32
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Or for those of you that have a job / life / family (joke) the Gyeon Wet Coat spray is just awesome.

I've never believed in "wonder sprays" but it really is amazing. After basic wash and decontamination, just mist spray on while wet and immediately pressure wash off, gives a SiO2 coating straight off. As good as any half day waxing workout in 5 minutes.

Unreal water repellancy and silky smooth feel to paint work. Use on whole car, paint, glass, plastics, wheels, tyres, the lot.

I use it every other wash as it's so easy, no wax again for me. After 4 months winter nothing has stuck to the paint, clay comes off clean. Bought a 5 litre bottle and 1/4 litre will coat the M2C.

Well maybe a wax once or twice in summer for old times sake.

Last edited by doughboy; 03-08-2019 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #33
DLT222
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreA View Post
Quote:
I’m gonna risk being a douche here; I understand you are happy with the products you use and you clearly get great results, but if you never try anything else how do you know there’s nothing out there any better?

Just being devil’s advocate
I have tried plenty including a few coatings.

In 25 years of detailing clients cars, never has a product out of everything o have used been so stable in terms of results, longevity and quality.

You have to ask what you want from your car care? Is it a daily driver that does 2000 miles a month? If so, sure go ahead and coat it if you simply don't have the time to paper it.

If it a car you love to detail, clean and wax etc or it sits in a garage most of its life in a collection then coating is completely mindless, it gives no benefit whatsoever.

Remember, I'm well versed in all aspects of detailing as I did it long enough. Just don't be fooled with the hype surrounding ceramic coatings! It may cost you in the long run, and we wouldn't want that would we? Unless blowing cash for shits and giggles is your thing.
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1653.00
      03-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #34
DLT222
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyT View Post
Got a look at my car today before i receive it on Thursday, as it turns out the supplying dealer is fairly local to me!

The car was just off the transporter and I've told the dealer not to wash it during PDI.

I need to confirm with my detailer by tomorrow that I'm going ahead with coating or not.

Having a think about it, and looking through my supplies in my garage. I would be able to spend a day preping the car pretty well myself, and instead of applying a ceramic coating, give a regular wax

I'm thinking the following:

Snow Foam
Wash
Rinse and dry
Iron X
Quick detailer & clay bar
DA Polish full car (Auto finesse Tipple)
Wax ( Autoglym HD)
Ok, note on the HD wax. Good wax but lack longevity. Great shine etc but it's full of fillers to cover any minor imperfections.

This is one of the reasons I always use Swissvax. Sure it's expensive, but you will struggle to find a better wax.

It goes on like butter as you only need a tiny amount, and comes off just the same. It won't leave horrific white marks on the plastics either.

If you are using iron-x the clay will be easier, use a soft clay and a decent clay lube.

The DA with right pad combo will give you a great result but remember if there is a slight breeze to wipe down the panel that's about to be polished right before hand. This will stop any particles getting in the pad and giving you a nightmare swirl.

You can also use a fine mist of water to allow the products to go a little further making the job a lot easier and save on product too.

Clean the pad after half a car so it's fresh for the second half.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #35
DLT222
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Or for those of you that have a job / life / family (joke) the Gyeon Wet Coat spray is just awesome.

I've never believed in "wonder sprays" but it really is amazing. After basic wash and decontamination, just mist spray on while wet and immediately pressure wash off, gives a SiO2 coating straight off. As good as any half day waxing workout in 5 minutes.

Unreal water repellancy and silky smooth feel to paint work. Use on whole car, paint, glass, plastics, wheels, tyres, the lot.

I use it every other wash as it's so easy, no wax again for me. After 4 months winter nothing has stuck to the paint, clay comes off clean. Bought a 5 litre bottle and 1/4 litre will coat the M2C.

Well maybe a wax once or twice in summer for old times sake.
Everyone has their tried and tested..

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #36
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
@DLT222, do you see any issues using products like iron X or tar remover on waxed surfaces?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #37
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
@DLT222, do you see any issues using products like iron X or tar remover in waxed surfaces?
Iron X and solvent tar removers will strip wax straight off. You only want to use those as part of your decontamination routine before waxing / sealing.
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1653.00
      03-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #38
RichyT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C, Focus RS

Quote:
Ok, note on the HD wax. Good wax but lack longevity. Great shine etc but it's full of fillers to cover any minor imperfections.

This is one of the reasons I always use Swissvax. Sure it's expensive, but you will struggle to find a better wax.

It goes on like butter as you only need a tiny amount, and comes off just the same. It won't leave horrific white marks on the plastics either.

If you are using iron-x the clay will be easier, use a soft clay and a decent clay lube.

The DA with right pad combo will give you a great result but remember if there is a slight breeze to wipe down the panel that's about to be polished right before hand. This will stop any particles getting in the pad and giving you a nightmare swirl.

You can also use a fine mist of water to allow the products to go a little further making the job a lot easier and save on product too.

Clean the pad after half a car so it's fresh for the second half.
Cheers for the info

I’ll post up some pics once I’m done, hoping for a break in the weather next weekend and I’ll get a good day at it.

Again thanks all posters for the comments and advice, it’s an emotive subject but shows we all care about our cars wax or ceramic related
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #39
DLT222
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Iron X and solvent tar removers will strip wax straight off. You only want to use those as part of your decontamination routine before waxing / sealing.

Correct. This should only need doing every 4-6 months depending on how often you drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #40
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
All good then made the tar removal few days ago and will do the iron remover next. After that the detailing at Swissvax
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #41
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
All good then made the tar removal few days ago and will do the iron remover next. After that the detailing at Swissvax
It's best to do it all in one if you can go or else you leave the car unprotected in between just pick up more contamination (unlesss you have it garaged and covered)

Finding the time to do all it is my biggest problem. Wife has a big list of chores for weekends that never includes cleaning my car for some reason (cleaning hers is often on the list though)...

That's why i'm a big fan of the Gyeon wet coat spray. The M2 is small, so I can do a full wash, detar, ironx & clay in say 3 hours non stop. Inc interior.

Then 10 minutes wet coat spray, rinse, blow dry, towel dry, done. :

...Back to the chores list

Last edited by doughboy; 03-13-2019 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 05:57 AM   #42
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
My car is always garaged meaning at home as well as in the office..

Of course a little protection with wax is applied between the steps. The iron removal will happen just a day or two before the complete detailing at Swissvax!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #43
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
As promissed... Just a little teaser yet... more to come in a few weeks!

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 07:22 AM   #44
bogdiniciu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS

Garage List
2020 M2 Comp  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Here is the only video I found on what happens wind coating need to be removed or replace, which is my biggest concern.

Appreciate 0