BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > UHP All Season tyres in the UK?

02-07-2021, 04:38 AM   #1
GregM2C
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Competition 6MT

UHP All Season tyres in the UK?

I’m getting some 763M wheels with Cup 2s fitted at my running in service next month, which got me to thinking I’d put some UHP all season tyres on the stock wheels for next winter. However, there don’t seem to be any available in the right sizes (245/35/R19, 265/35/R19).

Michelin Pilot Sport AS (any variety) don’t seem to be available in the UK. Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season are available but only with much higher profile sidewalls (45+). Vredestein Quatro Pro seem to be the closest match (e.g. 255/40 rears) but still not quite there.

I’m guessing this is because people in the UK don’t tend to bother with A/S tyres so maybe nobody bothers bringing a variety them here.

What do you folks do? Just leave it on summers all year? Or am I completely missing something?

PS: Apologies if this is already answered. I searched but couldn’t find anything UK specific where availability of tyres seems much more limited than elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:32 AM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregM2C View Post
I'm getting some 763M wheels with Cup 2s fitted at my running in service next month, which got me to thinking I'd put some UHP all season tyres on the stock wheels for next winter. However, there don't seem to be any available in the right sizes (245/35/R19, 265/35/R19).

Michelin Pilot Sport AS (any variety) don't seem to be available in the UK. Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season are available but only with much higher profile sidewalls (45+). Vredestein Quatro Pro seem to be the closest match (e.g. 255/40 rears) but still not quite there.

I'm guessing this is because people in the UK don't tend to bother with A/S tyres so maybe nobody bothers bringing a variety them here.

What do you folks do? Just leave it on summers all year? Or am I completely missing something?

PS: Apologies if this is already answered. I searched but couldn't find anything UK specific where availability of tyres seems much more limited than elsewhere.
I'm actually running Michelin cross climate+ at a 255/35/19 all round.

10mm narrower than standard rear tyre and 10mm wider on the front.

Seem to work ok, but alloy protection is minimal on the rears and there is very slight rubbing full lock on the fronts; but that's likely down to my arch guards on the front.

They've served me well in the frequent snow we've had in Scotland so far this winter.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

I ran PS2's on the M4 I daily drove for the three years that I lived in the UK. They did great. Even on the mucky Suffolk B roads in winter. I'll be moving back in September and plan on selling my current tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s) that I'm running here in Colorado for either some PS2'S or the newer Pilot Sport 4S's.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Isn't ultra high performance and all season mutually exclusive?

Thought UHP usually pertains to summer tyres.

Do you just mean a good quality all season or is there a category I'm unaware of?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
GregM2C
United Kingdom
Rep

It’s a category I’d never heard of until recently. I suspect it’s a fairly new thing.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...-Tire-Test.htm

There’s a link but very few of the reviewed tyres seem to be available in the U.K., and the couple that are have only very limited sizes.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregM2C View Post
It’s a category I’d never heard of until recently. I suspect it’s a fairly new thing.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...-Tire-Test.htm

There’s a link but very few of the reviewed tyres seem to be available in the U.K., and the couple that are have only very limited sizes.
I think they mean UHP within the all season tyre category, dodgy advertising terms.

IMO if you have two sets of wheels then go for UHP summers and full winters, why compromise?

I have Michelin Cross Climate + on my 3.2 tonne van, they are great on err a 3.2 tonne van.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2021, 01:19 AM   #7
Bl4ckD0g
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C DCT HS MY2021

That is what I would do, and will do when I find some winter wheels I like

I wouldn't compromise if you have a set a winter wheels by then putting all season tyres on them. Just put winter tyres on them.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 01:30 PM   #8
GregM2C
United Kingdom
Rep

Full winters looks like it might be a better option. I thought the U.K. didn’t really get cold enough for them but it seems average temp below 7 is enough which is most of Nov through to Feb.

Seems the Continental TS 860 S and Michelin Alpin 4 are available in the right sizes. Not cheap though...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Alpine 4 for sure.

If you need to use the car in bad weather and enjoy it on greasy cold wet icy or snowy roads then winters are key.

I just don't use it then. Got a DSG 4 motion VW van with winters on
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #10
Bl4ckD0g
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C DCT HS MY2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Alpine 4 for sure.

If you need to use the car in bad weather and enjoy it on greasy cold wet icy or snowy roads then winters are key.

I just don't use it then. Got a DSG 4 motion VW van with winters on
LOL Yes I know the feeling, my car is a Range Rover 5.0 Super Charged. It is the designated vehicle for those truly wintery days. But ahem as it is a Range Rover I've got some Winter Wheels/Tyres from Germany on their way for the M2 as the stupid thing is in the work shop again, and last week wouldn't open the door after defrosting the car. Yes you read that right, after defrosting the car...The cable for the door lock froze up again. The M2 with winters may be more reliable
Appreciate 0