M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Eibach pro kit

01-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #309
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadVibes View Post
Reviving this thread to ask couple of questions about the Eibach Pro-Kit.

I just purchased a 2020 M2C, which previously belonged to another forum member. The car has Vorshlag camber plates and Swift springs installed. While it looks and handles amazingly well, it's a bit too slammed for me. Currently, there is absolutely no gap between tire and fender in front or rear. I measured the distance from the bottom of the wheel lip to bottom of fender edge and it's at 590mm (front) and 595mm (rear).

I'm looking to raise the car ~10mm, to roughly 600mm (front) and 605mm (rear). If my eyeballs don't deceive me, this should equate to ~1 finger gap in front and 1-2 finger gap in the rear.

From all the pictures I've sen, it appears that this is pretty much exactly what the Eibach Springs will provide.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the measurement from the bottom of your 19" wheel lip to bottom of fender edge, front and rear? Also, would you say you have about a 1 finger gap front and maybe slightly more than 1 finger gap in rear?
BMW suggest 595mm front and 600mm rear with the MPS, measured from the bottom the rim to the bottom of the fender edge, so it sounds like you're close. Maybe look at the shorter bumps tops (described as "Auxiliary shock absorbers" in RealOEM) listed further up the thread. HTH
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 02:32 PM   #310
tailhappy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Eibach Pro springs

Had the springs on two weeks now. Dropped the front one inch but only 3/4" in the rear. Also almost a eighth of an inch difference in ride height for the rear. Ride heights were dead nut the same with the stock spring. I would have thought you could match lengths out of a batch manufactured. I other words group together the same length. I cut off a inch of the bump stops in the rear.
Had already assembled the front so I wasn't going to change the bump stops there just yet. Rides fine. No complaint there. I have a HR front bar, and SPL toe arms in the rear. Going to get a alignment tomorrow. Happy so far.

Cheers, Philip
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 04:53 AM   #311
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Coupé (BSM)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby_416 View Post
so.. after a couple of weeks here's my final thought:

Don't get this or any other spring kit to go over the oem shock absorbers.

Went for a spirited mountain driving and the car is "jumping" over every road bump when turning uphill... the reduced travel of the shock absorber is causing this.

Same goes when on the highway, at high speed the car is really uncomfortable and jumps without any dampening.

In addition to all of this, when turning the wheel I can feel a squeaking noise coming from the front suspension. At first I thought it was the strut nut, but after re-torquing it nothing changed. I suspect is the bump stop which is touching somewhere due to the strut being more compressed than usual (this problem has been encountered between several other users).

The oem shocks are meant to be working at a very specific height and putting this (or other brand) springs just messes all up. It has been reported that the oem shocks start to leak after few months with lowering springs, not my case but I'm not willing to risk it.

Sure the car looks cool but if you're looking for a proper solution to live with a lowered car my suggestion is to go with a full coilover kit rather than only springs.

Going back to stock this week. Money wasted and lesson learned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM View Post
Old thread but I would like to say this anyway regarding the Eibach pro springs because I think some more info is needed before breaking them down.
I also have an Eibach pro kit since a few weeks on my M2 and I have no "jumpy" issues but I understand your problem.
Actually Eibach's engineers are the ones to blame imho opinion cos i can't understand that they seem to ignore the importance of bump stops.

I will try to explain: When the car is on its wheels, the stock gap between bump stop and front damper is about 15mm to 16mm and at the rear 20mm so if the suspension drops 25mm at the front you have the bump stops already pressed in by at least 10 mm and just not/well touching at the rear with a drop of 20mm...and that can never be good, if you think logically!

So what did I do...I shortened the bumpstops by 15mm at the front and 10mm at the rear (Both at the top NOT at the bottom!). That means I have now 5mm bump stop clearance at the front and 10mm at the rear. Less then stock but better a bit less then 10mm negative or zero clearance.
Result: It feels exactly the same as OEM, I really don't notice any difference, so definitely not bumpy or jumpy and maybe even a fraction less stiff then OEM but that can be subjective.

My personal conclusion: I really don't understand Eibach regarding this matter because a 10mm compressed bump stop at rest can never improve the suspension characteristics with the stock dampers... Yes, maybe there could be somewhat improvement at low speeds but that is only a part of the story, because at high speeds it's a totally different story, espacially on poor roads.

In any case my advice to all: Make sure the bump stops have somewhat travel freedom with this Eibach springs otherwise it could be go wrong in some drive situations, especially at high speeds or spirited driving on poorer roads...just my two cents....

Hey super old thread but wanted to give a final opinion on the subject:

In my experience with this product I had some bad results which were due to both spring & installer.

I had the car stock for approx 1 year, put the springs for 3 of months and then back to stock. Still have the car now after almost 5 years. Plenty of relaxed and spirited drives in between.

As it's been mentioned and documented here, installing shorter/stiffer springs on stock shock absorbers is not a great idea. I'm sure this and other lowering springs have their place but I don't think that is on stock cars (unless with other adjustments)

Let's start from the install:

The shop that put these on used an impact wrench to fasten & unfasten all the bolts, maybe not the best method as most of them are supposed to be one-time-use and torqued to a specific value.

I had a lot of creaking noises when the car was turning under load (e.g. hairpin) and going over speed bumps / road imperfections at low speeds.

After returning to stock springs the noise remained and honestly drove me nuts, had to go back to a BMW dealer to get it fixed. It took a long time for them to diagnose it and only after replacing all the suspension bolts with brand new ones the noise disappeared. They had also installed a friction disc between the front brake rotors and wheel hubs but that wasn't the fix for the problem above.

Driving experience:

I was looking for a more planted drive especially during acceleration and turns on track / mountain roads. Unfortunately these springs only made it worse, as the car wasn't as planted as with stock setup during these moments, making it unsettled and destabilising the "exit" from such turns. I am not a race driver or suspension expert, there may have been a way to fix it while keeping the Eibach springs but the easiest solution for me was to go back to stock which is already an amazing setup.

Ride comfort was also compromised as it was noticeably stiffer while driving at highway speeds (130km/h). It was too uncomfortable for me as this is my daily driver. Driving around town & low speeds however was great.

Final thoughts

If you're just after look and you don't care about how the car behaves in the above mentioned scenarios then go for it. Is a cheap solution rather than a coilover kit. You get what you pay for however, there's no free lunch

There might be a way to make these springs work with stock shocks, probably they'll wear faster and you'll have to make other modifications, e.g. shorter bump stops as others did but I don't have experience in this aspect.

Install is critical, make sure the bolts that need to are replaced and use proper torque specs. Suspension components are to be installed under load. This is to avoid creaking noises.

Hope this helps

ofc this is IMHO, WMMV
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 06:36 AM   #312
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby_416 View Post
Hey super old thread but wanted to give a final opinion on the subject:

In my experience with this product I had some bad results which were due to both spring & installer.

I had the car stock for approx 1 year, put the springs for 3 of months and then back to stock. Still have the car now after almost 5 years. Plenty of relaxed and spirited drives in between.

As it's been mentioned and documented here, installing shorter/stiffer springs on stock shock absorbers is not a great idea. I'm sure this and other lowering springs have their place but I don't think that is on stock cars (unless with other adjustments)

Let's start from the install:

The shop that put these on used an impact wrench to fasten & unfasten all the bolts, maybe not the best method as most of them are supposed to be one-time-use and torqued to a specific value.

I had a lot of creaking noises when the car was turning under load (e.g. hairpin) and going over speed bumps / road imperfections at low speeds.

After returning to stock springs the noise remained and honestly drove me nuts, had to go back to a BMW dealer to get it fixed. It took a long time for them to diagnose it and only after replacing all the suspension bolts with brand new ones the noise disappeared. They had also installed a friction disc between the front brake rotors and wheel hubs but that wasn't the fix for the problem above.

Driving experience:

I was looking for a more planted drive especially during acceleration and turns on track / mountain roads. Unfortunately these springs only made [...]
Good update - and I’ll emphasize the part about bolt torque. I’ve installed suspension parts on many different vehicles and did not pay attention to torque values and everything was fine. However, BMWs in particular are very sensitive to bolt torque in the suspension. I had issues with the MP HAS kit on my F80 and also MSS spring kit on my F97 related to proper torquing.

I’ll also mention that BMW factory top hats just aren’t very high quality and it’s easy to get noise from them simply from unloading and reloading the spring tension. The proper torque is very important here.

Finally, if tightening is done with the suspension at full droop, bushings will prematurely wear out, affecting ride quality and handling that could be mistakenly attributed to the springs.

That being said, there are many people running springs on the F platform and it seems like 90% are happy. Strut blows out, buy a new one or upgrade to performance struts or coil overs. How fast that happens depends on the usage of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 02:35 PM   #313
JMM
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

The only thing I can add here is that after driving with these Eibach springs for a little over two years I have zero complaints, still no weird noises (No new bolts used at the time), no jumpy handling.
The difference in driving with the original springs and these eibach springs with shortened bump stops is virtually non-existent.

Maybe I also have some luck with the expertise of my mechanic (Not a BMW employee) .

In any case, shortening the bump stops with this kind of springs is a must in my opinion and the lowering should really not be more than an inch because otherwise I suspect that extra wear on the OEM shock absorbers is inevitable....that's also why I didn't choose H&R,

EX: e92 335d: 350hp@4400rpm and 698NM/521 ft lb@2760 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 02:45 PM   #314
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Have a close look at your secondary spring and are no longer a hard stop you are used to. They are progressive in nature and act like secondary springs to increase the spring rates as the vehicle sets into a corner.

If your lowering/sport spring constantly bottoming out and causing the car to jump, they may be way too softly sprung.

suspension pickup points with spherical bearings don't require them to be loaded when tightening to specs.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 02:55 PM   #315
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I decided to give these springs a try....I'll preface by saying I'm not really a lowering spring guy, haven't used them in 15 years or so when I had a S197 Mustang. But, in this uncertain economy, I couldn't justify the price of the M Performance coilovers as much as I lusted after them. My car is a garage queen so I don't really need them as much as want them.

In any event, the install is very simple on this car and I had no noises, clunks, vibrations or anything like that. I am rubbing slightly in the front though, which I thought was curious.

My personal opinion...the ride is about 30% stiffer than the already stiff Comp suspension when you're on very rough pavement. But the overall characteristics are very similar to OEM and I don't mind it at all. We will see after I get out of the "honeymoon phase."

Installed with 10mm spacers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 03:29 PM   #316
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

We have very good feedback with the M4 Swift Spec-R springs on the M2/M2C. Linear rate and no bottoming issues associated with softer progressive rate lowering springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 07:16 AM   #317
GilM2Comp
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanky84 View Post
I will respectfully correct the information provided above
Sadly those part numbers are not what the M2 DINAN HAS kit uses. I will be installing the eibach Pro Kit with "DINAN" specified shorter bump stops on my M2C soon (when wife, kid, work and time allows ). If you download DINAN's installation instruction from their website you will find the Front bump stop part number right there (it is really a BMW OEM bump stop, just shorter). For the Rear bump stop the installation instruction doesn't gives the part number, but tells you the last 6 numbers of it so you don't get them mixed up. Long story short, I was able to get a picture of the rear bump stop and got the correct part number from there. Here they are, and hopefully it will benefit someone else.

Front: 33-53-6-784-122
Rear: 31-33-6-776-144

**Disclaimer: I know that eibach claims that shorter bumpstops are not needed for their kit but... Im just using available products to make my own setup and have fun
For anyone that has also changed their Bump Stop with the Eibach set up. Was there any negative side effects? Wouldn't modifying it to be shorter and giving it more range to travel cause a higher chance of rubbing over uneven roads / pot holes?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 08:09 AM   #318
JMM
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilM2Comp View Post
For anyone that has also changed their Bump Stop with the Eibach set up. Was there any negative side effects? Wouldn't modifying it to be shorter and giving it more range to travel cause a higher chance of rubbing over uneven roads / pot holes?
Read my installation method and my experiences afterwards on the previous page and my experiences after two years on this page and draw your conclusions from that.

Especially don't skip over my unintended test experience after installing the springs on the previous page.

EX: e92 335d: 350hp@4400rpm and 698NM/521 ft lb@2760 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 09:14 AM   #319
krystiangorecki12345
Rep
Drives: m3e92 f21140i m2comp

Hello guys,
Yesterday I installed my eibach pro kit.
Fitpic:
Before - after

Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
JMM125.50
      07-08-2023, 02:30 PM   #320
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystiangorecki12345 View Post
Hello guys,
Yesterday I installed my eibach pro kit.
Fitpic:
Before - after

Cheers
Looks great. What would you estimate the drop to be?