BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Sigh - What are folk doing about the Front License plate?

06-20-2019, 09:56 PM   #111
jdubm2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Feeling pretty "zero good options" on this topic. Not running a plate absolutely does not work in my area (police reasons). I don't want to drill, I don't want to cover the intercooler, and I don't like the off-center tow hook mounts (but that's probably the least terrible of the options).

What are you folk doing and what did you buy?
I live across the river from you, and I am just going to chance it for now. I don't like any of the mounts either, so it just sits in the glove box, and we'll see what happens. My truck's front plate is completely covered by a brush guard, and I've yet to be stopped over the five years it's been like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:40 AM   #112
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubm2c View Post
I live across the river from you, and I am just going to chance it for now. I don't like any of the mounts either, so it just sits in the glove box, and we'll see what happens. My truck's front plate is completely covered by a brush guard, and I've yet to be stopped over the five years it's been like that.
From what I've heard, the Vancouver, WA area LEO's aren't rabid about it. Your biggest issue might be going into downtown Portland. Pop it onto the dash if you park on the street.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 03:58 PM   #113
neurostrokemd
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C 2020 6MT

Garage List
Question on the Carbonio mount: is there any coated material on the metal arms that are in direct contact with the grill? My concern is that if it gets slightly loosened up than it will start scratching the grill while on bumpy roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #114
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I used the Lakin bracket on mine

https://www.lakinplates.com.au/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #115
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurostrokemd View Post
Question on the Carbonio mount: is there any coated material on the metal arms that are in direct contact with the grill? My concern is that if it gets slightly loosened up than it will start scratching the grill while on bumpy roads.
It's metal on paint if it makes contact with your bumper you will be saying bye bye with the paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 06:45 AM   #116
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it is possible but the thumb screw is long and it's not likely to scratch the plastic grill. If either rubber bump-stop fell off, it could damage your bumper. I haven't had a problem with either in 10 months, but I check it regularly.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #117
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

The way I look at it is I'm going to be living in a state with mandatory front license plates for the foreseeable future and it only cost $300 to repaint my bumper.

I rather two concealed screws on the front plate, than keep risking unnecessary tickets.

It's not like you're going to store the vehicle in a hermetically-sealed container and preserve it for generations; it's a bumper, it's going to encounter battle-scars such as stone etches and paint chips anyways..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #118
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The way I look at it is I'm going to be living in a state with mandatory front license plates for the foreseeable future and it only cost $300 to repaint my bumper.

I rather two concealed screws on the front plate, than keep risking unnecessary tickets.

It's not like you're going to store the vehicle in a hermetically-sealed container and preserve it for generations; it's a bumper, it's going to encounter battle-scars such as stone etches and paint chips anyways..
I don't disagree. I bought the mount to see if it would work out (the off-center tow-hook mounts make my brain itch from the asymmetry). In the last week, three folk at work have gotten front-plate tickets on the way to or leaving work. I would have drilled the bumper if I'd had to, but I'm pretty happy with the way this mount has worked out.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:13 PM   #119
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:

May not bother you, but most everyone here is OCD and does not like the idea of holes in their bumper. Good thing is there are a number of options that let you run a front plate without drilling holes. IMO the best one is STO N SHO, because it's centered and how easy it is to snap on/off your front plate, literally in a few seconds without any tools or drama.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #120
neurostrokemd
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C 2020 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
May not bother you, but most everyone here is OCD and does not like the idea of holes in their bumper. Good thing is there are a number of options that let you run a front plate without drilling holes. IMO the best one is STO N SHO, because it's centered and how easy it is to snap on/off your front plate, literally in a few seconds without any tools or drama.
I pulled the trigger for the Carbionio mount. The lower grill is plastic and looks easier to replace even if someone backs into the license bracket and crushes the grill.

I had paint protection film on the bumper and didn't want to stick another 3M adhesive on it with STO N SHO.

Others here have tried different tow mounts but kept triggering the park sensors.

I have had previous bumper damaged by hit n run, and though it does not cost much to repaint it, the color matching is never 100%.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #121
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMTTR View Post
I appreciate the feedback guys. Seems a bit more cumbersome than I was hoping. Might just opt for the STO N SHO instead.
My M2 is a 2018 and I realize BMW changed the front bumper a bit for 2019, but it sounds like Carbonio must've completely redesigned the no-drill front plate bracket, as my Carbonio front plate mount is super quick release - once assembled, you just loosen a single finger-spun screw and the entire thing pops right off (in about 15 seconds), zero disassembly required. Just as easy to put back on too.
DARKMTTR229.00
      07-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #122
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I get the whole OCD thing, however, here in NY, if the plates in not in the dead-center or more than 12 inches from the ground, you can still be issued a summons for a violation.

I much rather bolt them up and just forgot about it.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #123
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
My preferred solution is to use 3M mounting tape (same stuff we use to hold body moldings, spoilers, etc). Strategically placed, it can be used to mount a plate to the bumper or mount a plate holder to the bumper (might want to use spacers).

No screws. Reversible. Can be done over paint or PPF. It's not feasible on all cars but works on most.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      07-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #124
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

No front plate for me!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 04:39 PM   #125
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Quote:
My preferred solution is to use 3M mounting tape (same stuff we use to hold body moldings, spoilers, etc). Strategically placed, it can be used to mount a plate to the bumper or mount a plate holder to the bumper (might want to use spacers).

No screws. Reversible. Can be done over paint or PPF. It's not feasible on all cars but works on most.
This is the smartest solution yet. Why didn't I think of this

BMW Betalink adhesive would probably hold stronger than double-sided tape though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #126
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
BMW Betalink adhesive would probably hold stronger than double-sided tape though.
Yeah but you'll never get the plate off without major damage! I hate that stuff. Used it for a spoiler install once and decided never again. I have never tried to remove it but people tell me it's considered permanent.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 07:37 PM   #127
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
My M2 is a 2018 and I realize BMW changed the front bumper a bit for 2019, but it sounds like Carbonio must've completely redesigned the no-drill front plate bracket, as my Carbonio front plate mount is super quick release - once assembled, you just loosen a single finger-spun screw and the entire thing pops right off (in about 15 seconds), zero disassembly required. Just as easy to put back on too.
Nope, that's still how it works.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #128
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah but you'll never get the plate off without major damage! I hate that stuff. Used it for a spoiler install once and decided never again. I have never tried to remove it but people tell me it's considered permanent.
That's true..

It does leave a tar-like substance behind but 91% Isopropyl alcohol usually gets that off.

I believe Betalink is designed to be clear-coat safe.

I don't want to use double-sided tape and lose my plate in a rain storm or car wash. Even touch-less used high-pressure washers.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #129
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
I pulled the trigger for the Carbionio mount. The lower grill is plastic and looks easier to replace even if someone backs into the license bracket and crushes the grill.

I had paint protection film on the bumper and didn't want to stick another 3M adhesive on it with STO N SHO.

Others here have tried different tow mounts but kept triggering the park sensors.

I have had previous bumper damaged by hit n run, and though it does not cost much to repaint it, the color matching is never 100%.
The STO N SHO is not that big and can be placed far back. Have PPF and the rolled edge didn't go that far back, STO N SHO was attached on nothing but the bumper. Feel the underside of the top part of your bumper near the kidney grilles, I doubt the PPF rolls far back.

Quote:
I get the whole OCD thing, however, here in NY, if the plates in not in the dead-center or more than 12 inches from the ground, you can still be issued a summons for a violation.

STO N SHO sits well above 12", it mounts to the underside of the bumper near the kidney grilles.

Quote:

STO N SHO doesn't use any screws and attaches exactly as you prefer, with 3M tape. To remove it use a hairdryer to loosen it up and then some goo gone to get it off in a few minutes, leaving your paint and bumper in pristine condition.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #130
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What does one do with an Alfa Romeo Gulia? I don't think a plate can be mounted in the center.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 09:25 PM   #131
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What does one do with an Alfa Romeo Gulia? I don't think a plate can be mounted in the center.
That's a good question; my friend just bought one last week, I'll ask her when I see her again..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #132
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Thanks for the insight! I've already pulled the trigger on a Sto n Sho so we'll see how that goes.