BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > LPFP to HPFP Fuel Line

03-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

LPFP to HPFP Fuel Line

Before attempting to do this, I was wondering if anyone had any 'best practices' on running a 3/8" line (fuel-it). Ran a scope to look for any obstructions and it looks like very little room for anything. I see that there are two lines mounted/clipped into place which is an obstruction in of itself. Seems it might be best to start at the access point in the cabin as it would be pretty difficult to run it from underneath and make that 90. The plan is to leave the OEM fuel line intact in the event we want to return everything back to stock.

So far the LPFP (EOS BPM4 a well) has been installed and we're in the process of completing the HPFP (waiting on 1 part). The ethanol sensor is mounted and lines are running up to that point. Just need the to-tank line planned out.

Thoughts?

-- For reference, the following is being installed for e85.
Dorch Engineering S2 HPFP -- Fuel-It LPFP short line -- Fuel-It Ethanol Sensor -- [Fuel-Labs filter] -- Fuel-It LPFP long line -- Fuel-It Stage 2 (Walbro 525)

Last edited by ///Monika; 04-01-2020 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A quick update. We were finally able to route the line. The fitment is pretty tight from the LPFP to it's exit point which is the OEM fuel and vent line. The lines are Fuel-It (Aeroquip) -6. Once the line is in place, it's best to pull the line back and forth to verify it's not binding anywhere.

A bit of a guide for others. First and foremost, protect the fuel line from any contaminants. We did so by placing yellow tape over and around the exposed end. The yellow really assists in locating the line from underneath the vehicle. Now, starting at the LPFP, just right of the OEM fuel line (blue), slowly work the line for about 2 feet. If your unsure of distance then lay the line longwise on the seat area and put a piece of tape on it. Keep in mind that you will not be running the line this entire distance, it's merely a guide. If you hit an obstruction then inch back and rotate the line and keep moving forward.

Now go underneath the vehicle. Locate the area where 4 lines ([L]black,black,white and blue[R]) are running 90 degrees just behind the fuel tank (drivers side). We used an LED endoscope and located the line (yellow tape). This can probably be done using a really bright LED but the area is pretty tight. You absolutely want to get that line on the right side of the OEM fuel line (blue; when facing the front of the vehicle). Take a coat hanger and cut it to the appropriate length. Put a 90 on the end and use a heat shrink tube over it (so it's on there tight) so it can grip the line. Now here's where you have to be patient. It helps to have two people. One that can pull the line back and forward as needed. Be very careful not to damage the OEM lines as you may want to put it back to stock one day. Just take your time. Once you have the line pulled, you're good to go. Just make sure that you pull the exact length you need and verify the line can move back and forth. It won't move with ease but you're verifying the line isn't binding or pinched anywhere.

Attaching a photo for reference. The mounts are sold by Summit Racing made by a company called NotchHead. You'll need NotcHead part# 2616-6 for -6 fuel line (cost was $18). We used a 1/4 drill bit, 4mm rivnuts (zinc plated carbon steel) and attached using M4 - 20mm (length) 304 stainless button head fasteners.

We'll take more photos once we receive the fuel filter (Fuel Labs, thanks to F87source for the recommendation) and Aeroquip -6 an push fittings. I hope this helps someone else who's doing this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      04-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Another quick photo (endoscope) showing the amount of room you have to route the line from the LPFP.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      04-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

very nice!
      04-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
Detroit M
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

I just completed that fuel line install about a week ago wish I saw this post as it took me the better part of a full Saturday! Great walk-through/guide!

Can you offer any advice on where you made the power connection? any pictures?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:25 PM   #6
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Detroit M

We posted a question in the electronics section regarding the ethanol sensor and no one replied. I guess most people just have a local shop install. We gave up and decided to tackle it ourselves. I think it turned out great. We're drawing power from the front power distribution block. Fuse #46 which is [5] amp and is active via the ignition (big thanks to Nezil for his XLS). For ground, the photos help to describe what we did.

I took lots detailed photos of the wiring install as well as all the parts used. I think I might have to load them to OneDrive. I also have photos of the fuel filter install (I hope you put a fuel filter in-line). I'll put something together this Friday (I promise) and post in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit M View Post
I just completed that fuel line install about a week ago wish I saw this post as it took me the better part of a full Saturday! Great walk-through/guide!

Can you offer any advice on where you made the power connection? any pictures?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:06 PM   #7
Detroit M
Rep

Thanks a lot, that will be a huge help! I also came across the spreadsheet from Nezil which was very well done!

I did not install an additional fuel filter, only the lines from Fuel-It! with some modifications because the XDI-35 fuel pump does not have the correct fitting to receive the Fuel-It! cam-lock. Can you advise about the fuel filter?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:24 PM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot, that will be a huge help! I also came across the spreadsheet from Nezil which was very well done!

I did not install an additional fuel filter, only the lines from Fuel-It! with some modifications because the XDI-35 fuel pump does not have the correct fitting to receive the Fuel-It! cam-lock. Can you advise about the fuel filter?
Most likely it will have to be spliced in because the fuel filter is AN based, unless two things occurs:

1) Adapters that fit the fuel it line to AN is found
2) The fuel line is cut a bit shorter since it will be too long with the fuel filter in place

Otherwise the most likely situation is to cut the fuel line, which is why I don't like the fuel-it line. stainless steel AN lines are much better imo, mainly due to their ability to be easily worked on and to add additional things.

Also I recommend a fuel filter holder so it doesn't sit hanging off of the fuel line.
      04-07-2020, 11:36 PM   #9
Detroit M
Rep

Will a fuel filter be necessary running e30?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:54 PM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Will a fuel filter be necessary running e30?
depends on how much gunk is in your local gas station. it should be fine though because the lpfp has a filter from the factory.

but personally I like running fuel filters.
///Monika186.50
      04-08-2020, 12:39 AM   #11
Detroit M
Rep

Haha 😅 thanks! I thought I was done with the build except this last connection.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 12:46 AM   #12
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
(big thanks to Nezil for his XLS)
Quote:
I also came across the spreadsheet from Nezil which was very well done!
Glad you guys found it useful. I'm looking forward to seeing photos!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
///Monika186.50
      04-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #13
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Filters are cheap insurance for anything that's upstream in the fuel system. This is what we purchased (thanks again F87Source) and installed (pics will be posted on Friday).

Purchased from Summit Racing (1 day to our door in our area):
FUE-81801-1 ($107.37)
AER-FBL-1512 ($6.99 x 3)
FRA-999156 ($3.99 x 2)

The filter housing ships with a strap and the filter (10 micron) is cellulose and is e85 compatible. The Fragola hose clamps are probably overkill but we installed the nonetheless. I want to say the rivnuts for the filter strap were 6mm. I don't have the exact sizing for the stainless fasteners (the pic shows something we had that was temporary) we used here (yeah, I'm in the office) but I'll post a full parts list Friday. Take your time placing the filter, you want that panel to sit flush once re-installed. It might help if we take a measurement from the sensor and post it as well. That way you can get a general idea where we put it. Pics would help too.

Quote:
Haha �� thanks! I thought I was done with the build except this last connection.
Attached Images

Last edited by ///Monika; 04-08-2020 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Added photo
Appreciate 2
F87source7177.50
seanyx11234.00
      04-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #14
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to add this before I go back to work (yeah). To cut the fuel lines (clean and square) we used a PVC ratcheting pipe cutter. Should be able to find one at a hardware store for cheap. We actually ended up with a leftover section maybe less than 2ft. I forgot to mention that when he fed the fuel line through the access panel (LFPF), he used the end without the fitting. Once he had the line up to the filter, fitted the push on fitting etc. He cut the line to length for the LPFP. That remnant was used to install on the ethanol sensor (had the cam lock end) and again, cut to length up to the filter and the fitting was installed. Fuel-It provided plenty of super lube for installation of the new AN fittings.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

I forgot to mention this but you should have mounted the fuel filter in the transmission tunnel or up into the engine bay like I did on my m235i. This way there is absolutely no chance a speed bump or road debris can take out the filter, because if you mount it on the body then it's a low hanging point.
///Monika186.50
      04-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #16
Detroit M
Rep

Looks great! FYI, I finished the fuse install this afternoon to fuse 46 using a fuse tap. Had to modify the power distribution box cover but it should be watertight with the weather stripping I’ll install soon.

Thanks for all the info
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #17
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Aye ! No worries, I think we're ok (OK I hope). It might be the photo but the filter housing (which is pretty small) actually sits higher than the OEM lines. Any more left and we'd be in that tunnel (exhaust, driveshaft) This also allows us to re-install the black flat panel which covers all this up nice and neat. If anything hits that area and tears through that cover, I suspect all the lines are at risk. That will be a bad day, filter or not. We did think about placing it higher up in the engine bay but that makes it a total pain to service. Since we're cellulose, we know that the filter will need to be changed periodically (sooner than if it were reusable material). Plus it's much less of a mess when you disconnect the lines. See how I'm convincing myself this is fine..

I do have one question that's bugging me about the LPFP line running up to the HPFP. I want to post it in the thread you started so others see what I'm observing as well as your thoughts. Dorch kind of avoided answering the question so I'm not sure if were just being overly cautious or it's nothing. Will post there.

Many thanks for all your help ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I forgot to mention this but you should have mounted the fuel filter in the transmission tunnel or up into the engine bay like I did on my m235i. This way there is absolutely no chance a speed bump or road debris can take out the filter, because if you mount it on the body then it's a low hanging point.
Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      02-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #18
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Filters are cheap insurance for anything that's upstream in the fuel system. This is what we purchased (thanks again F87Source) and installed (pics will be posted on Friday).

Purchased from Summit Racing (1 day to our door in our area):
FUE-81801-1 ($107.37)
AER-FBL-1512 ($6.99 x 3)
FRA-999156 ($3.99 x 2)

The filter housing ships with a strap and the filter (10 micron) is cellulose and is e85 compatible. The Fragola hose clamps are probably overkill but we installed the nonetheless. I want to say the rivnuts for the filter strap were 6mm. I don't have the exact sizing for the stainless fasteners (the pic shows something we had that was temporary) we used here (yeah, I'm in the office) but I'll post a full parts list Friday. Take your time placing the filter, you want that panel to sit flush once re-installed. It might help if we take a measurement from the sensor and post it as well. That way you can get a general idea where we put it. Pics would help too.
Hey just curious was the aeroquip -6an push on hose end a swivel?
      03-21-2021, 07:21 PM   #19
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am so sorry for the late response here. Yes, I believe it actually was (been awhile) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Hey just curious was the aeroquip -6an push on hose end a swivel?
Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      03-21-2021, 09:06 PM   #20
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I am so sorry for the late response here. Yes, I believe it actually was (been awhile) ...
No problem and thanks!