BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > My BMW M2 Competition was stolen - See how (VIDEO)

03-13-2020, 05:45 AM   #67
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Glad you got her back op. This thread also taught me what a faraday bag was. This isn't something we think about in the US.

Can't help but love our freedoms in the US with gun laws etc etc.... like others have said thieves will think twice here. My HK VP9 is sitting right next to the bed.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      03-13-2020, 06:11 AM   #68
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
This type of things happens way to often, i mean we have had comfort access for a long time on our cars regardless of brand, this is an issue. Glad you got your car back, unfortunately when my sisters X5 was stolen the exact same way the car was found in a lorry somewhere in Eastern Europe in scraps and parts she had an X5 hybrid so they didn't even hear the car getting stolen during the night cause the car started in EV mode so when they got out from the house in the morning the car was gone.....

Garage is your best friend, i have wondered so many times when i see footage from the US in the suburban parts of the country and i just see all these cars standing in the front yard even though the homes got Garage, i just wondered for my self why not keep your car in the garage it is so much more protected from all the nasty parts of nature and stuff like bird spill and such.

Oh well maybe Bimmerpost should just run a front page news informing all the owners of cars with comfort access how to keep their keys safe and out of reach from bad people like in the video.
In the US, car theft is extremely rare... even when it does happen it usually happens in a lower class of car... oddly enough Hondas used to be the most commonly stolen due to high cost of parts and interchangeability amongst all Honda / Acura models. Also you can't really drive a stolen car into Mexico due to tight border controls and no one from Canada would steal cars from the USA. Also, the higher end cars in the USA are extremely common (m3's, M4's) so they aren't really targeted as much.... but even then with insurance, you usually come out better with your car stolen than recovered so owners don't really worry about it... this is all aside from the fact every homeowner has a gun.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      03-13-2020, 06:32 AM   #69
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBMW View Post
If someone come to my house at night, it's over! We live in the U.S. and we have guns under our pillows
Funny how that works, even though I don’t personally carry or own firepower, most others in the community do, and there’s never any trouble in my neck of the woods, where garage doors and cars are wide open, pricey cars sitting in driveways top down, key fobs sometimes permanently in glove boxes or in center console, so you don’t forget or lose it...
Theres actually a correlation between crime rates and 2nd Amendment laws. Also, the types of crimes vary. More likely to be a victim of armed robbery in an anti-2A state as opposed to a 2A friendly state. If you look at criminal statistics, criminals have admitted to be much more hesitant to invade a home or rob a person if they suspected he/she would be armed. So just the potential presence of a gun can be a deterrent in of itself. This is why it's difficult to gauge how many crimes have been prevented by practicing the 2A since a percentage of those crimes were proactively prevented, leading to no statistics.

And since armed citizens are usually more proficient (generally speaking) at firearms manipulation, a Good Samaritan will statistically be more likely to become victorious in a confrontation.

It's much easier to confront someone unarmed when you are armed, but when on equal playing fields, the entire situation changes. As someone stated earlier, criminals need something fast and easy. An armed citizen is far from that.
      03-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #70
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
This thread went weird rather quickly.
Appreciate 3
      03-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #71
rideontwo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VaNOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Faraday bag is the only way to prevent this. You can keep your keys on the opposite side of the house and they can still do a relay attack on it. Our keys were at least 100m from the car and in the middle of the house and they still managed to get in.

This...... Faraday bag for your keys to prevent any signal leakage and no signal=no snooping. Those of us who work in security know all too well the risks associated with "convenience." Fact is most of the times technology comes with a trade-off.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #72
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Faraday bag is the only way to prevent this. You can keep your keys on the opposite side of the house and they can still do a relay attack on it. Our keys were at least 100m from the car and in the middle of the house and they still managed to get in.
You can upgrade to the newer style keys that go to sleep after 2 mins of sitting still. We have done it for a couple F cars. No Faraday bag/box required after key goes to sleep.
Appreciate 1
spuntyb4051.50
      03-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #73
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
If someone come to my house at night, it's over! We live in the U.S. and we have guns under our pillows
Some guns can be held legally in the U.K. I have a Mossberg and a few others, but if someone did manage to start my car and the exhaust woke me, I suspect the car would be moving by the time I got outside. So the dilemma would be do I shoot at my own car?

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #74
Hish
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Please find the actual WW car theft rates data. It seems that some of you might be seriously surprised taking into consideration some comments about perceived security.

https://knoema.com/atlas/ranks/Private-car-theft-rate

Last edited by Hish; 03-13-2020 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #75
RyanBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i, 2011 F10 550i,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Quote:
Some guns can be held legally in the U.K. I have a Mossberg and a few others, but if someone did manage to start my car and the exhaust woke me, I suspect the car would be moving by the time I got outside. So the dilemma would be do I shoot at my own car?
Replacing glasses on an M2 is cheap
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #76
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

My BMW M2 Competition was stolen - See how (VIDEO)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think 3 inch magnum rounds might do damage to a bit more than the glass.

Imagine filling in the insurance claim form - "as it was driven off, I shot at it".

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:15 PM   #77
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm.. Texas must still be like the Wild Wild West because I know in most states in the US, you can't just shoot at a moving vehicle, unless your life is in danger or you're filming a movie.
Appreciate 1
cjack29.50
      03-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #78
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thank goodness for the GPS!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #79
RyanBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Imagine filling in the insurance claim form - "as it was driven off, I shot at it".
I was just joking, hahaa, the situation won't justify using deadly force.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #80
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was just joking, hahaa, the situation won't justify using deadly force.
I certainly wouldn't be happy with someone entering my property and stealing from me. Let's hope I never have to make that call.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #81
RyanBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm.. Texas must still be like the Wild Wild West because I know in most states in the US, you can't just shoot at a moving vehicle, unless you life is in danger or you're filming a movie.
Hahha I just replied to the other member that I was just joking. But btw, I do live in Texas, and you're right, any shot has to be justified in the court.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      03-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #82
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
You can upgrade to the newer style keys that go to sleep after 2 mins of sitting still. We have done it for a couple F cars. No Faraday bag/box required after key goes to sleep.
Yeah, for the time being a bag is much cheaper than two new keys. I got rid of my F31 as soon as my dealer put it back together, just could never look at the car the same way. What BMW also needs to do is put a software lock on the navigation systems so they can't be swapped into other vehicles, 6 cars on my street all got stripped that night.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #83
F30swag
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540IX  [0.00]
That's crazy!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #84
Savage_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & 2022 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Sucks for the owner.

Cars like the M2 need a proper garage.

At the very least take the time to put on a car cover.
It's a car and likely their daily driver.

From a theft perspective sure it helps, but no need to put a cover on outside if you daily drive it. You'll prob scratch the paint putting it on and taking it off.
      03-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #85
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Sucks for the owner.

Cars like the M2 need a proper garage.

At the very least take the time to put on a car cover.
It's a car and likely their daily driver.

From a theft perspective sure it helps, but no need to put a cover on outside if you daily drive it. You'll prob scratch the paint putting it on and taking it off.
If installed correctly they will not scratch your car.

Takes like 2 minutes to actually install it.

Best part is a thief will not bother.
      03-13-2020, 01:32 PM   #86
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is it you, Dirty Harry ?

RyanBMW463.00
      03-13-2020, 01:32 PM   #87
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Yeah I don't understand why car theft in Europe is so much more common.
We unfortunately have open borders in Europe. Cars are stolen to order, and are driven east immediately. Stolen cares used to end up in Poland. Now folks further east come to Poland to steal cars. No prizes for guessing where they all end up. As a thief, chances of getting caught are slim. And even if you do, punishment is laughable.

Since car alarms and immobilizers by an OEM are often replicated across their entire line, gangs rent cars they have their eyes on for a few days (say, Sixt), then practice on said car before applying what they've learned to steal cars like the OP's.
Yeah I figured once they're in eastern Europe a stolen car is as good as a new car there.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #88
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
These will help. Put the key in it and the signal is completely blocked. If your living situation doesn't allow to have the keys far enough away from potential hijackers this is much better than nothing!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=car+key+p...b_sb_ss_i_3_10
Appreciate 0