BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2c with OPF needs better exhaust sound

03-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

M2c with OPF needs better exhaust sound

I’ve read number of threads in this section and still don't have the answer.

I have M2c with OPF (made for European market) and need to improve the sound of exhaust. I need a solution which:

- is civilized nice sound and not wild screaming
- is drone free (Drone is so typical for aftermarket exhaust solutions at mid revs)
- enables to keep the factory warranty for the car (no ECU tuning possible as a result)

The noise level or any emission standards are not an issue as the car will be used outside the European Union.

Would factory M performance exhaust be the right solution? Or it can’t be paired with the OPF exhaust?
Would the Akrapovic slip on be a good solution? Or it doesn’t make significant improvement with the OPF?

Thanks a lot for any valuable feedback.

Last edited by kart driver; 03-05-2020 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #2
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
I’ve read number of threads in this section and still don't have the answer.

I have M2c with OPF (made for European market) and need to improve the sound of exhaust.
If you've already read a number of the threads in this section, I'm not sure there is much more assistance we can offer

Nevertheless, I will try

Quote:
I need a solution which:

- is drone free (Drone is so typical for aftermarket exhaust solutions at mid revs)
- enables to keep the factory warranty for the car (no ECU tuning possible as a result)

The noise level or any emission standards are not an issue as the car will be used outside the European Union.
Sound is so subjective that it is difficult to make a recommendation

There are many options available and in the end it comes down to personal preference

Listening to videos of different systems can help, but certain aspects of sound (like drone) are rarely conveyed by most recordings

Quote:
Would factory M performance exhaust be the right solution? Or it can’t be paired with the OPF exhaust?
My understanding is that the M Performance exhaust is not EC approved and not sold by BMW in markets that require it

As a result, there aren't likely to be very many M Performance exhausts on OPF equipped cars

In any case, it should still physically connect exactly the same as it would to any other factory M2C so if noise and emissions standards are not an issue like you stated I don't see why it couldn't be done

I have no idea whether or not there might be any warranty concerns as I don't know the details of your particular warranty

Quote:
Would the Akrapovic slip on be a good solution? Or it doesn’t make significant improvement with the OPF?
The Akrapovic slip on is EC approved, but like the M Performance exhaust is among the more expensive options

It is crafted almost entirely out of titanium, as opposed to the M Performance exhaust which only has a titanium muffler

Whether or not it makes a significant improvement in sound is, like I mentioned earlier, completely subjective

Quote:
Thanks a lot for any valuable feedback.
As I mentioned before, there are a lot of options out there

Since you are after a "civilized nice sound", "not wild screaming", "drone free" and warranty friendly I would try to stick to the more conservative alternatives

Most of these will tend to be EC approved and/or standard or sport variants versus race variants

I hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 01:34 AM   #3
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

The Milltek OPF back, equal length system could be what you’re looking for.
Can almost sound as quiet as stock albeit a different tone, or with the valves open it’s as raucous as you’d want it to be.
No drone or resonance at any speed (well, upto around 90mph... can’t go any faster over here really..!)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 05:42 AM   #4
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post

Sound is so subjective that it is difficult to make a recommendation

There are many options available and in the end it comes down to personal preference

Listening to videos of different systems can help, but certain aspects of sound (like drone) are rarely conveyed by most recordings

The major questions that I have are:

1) Does the Mperfomance or Akrapovic slip-on delivers any errors on a car with OPF?
Because if it does, then it is a no go for me for sure.

It is not a problem that the M perfomance is not sold in Europe. I can buy it on a market, where the cars are sold without OPF.

2) Do M-perfomance or Akrapovic slip-on create any drone or not?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #5
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
The major questions that I have are:

1) Does the Mperfomance or Akrapovic slip-on delivers any errors on a car with OPF?
Because if it does, then it is a no go for me for sure.

It is not a problem that the M perfomance is not sold in Europe. I can buy it on a market, where the cars are sold without OPF.

2) Do M-perfomance or Akrapovic slip-on create any drone or not?
I haven't seen or heard those setups in person (or any OPF equipped car for that matter) so I can't answer with absolute certainty and I don't want to mislead you.

In any case, here are my thoughts (not facts)

1) Since those two slip on exhausts will retain the factory OPFs and center muffler, you shouldn't have any problems

2) I don't think drone will be too much of an issue either with the OPFs and center muffler in place, but as I've said before sound is so subjective and what might be acceptable to one person can be intolerable to another
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:

I strongly suggest the Remus Sport exhaust (up to opf). Link

The race version is a lot more audible but people have experienced OPF related CEL's with it. I've been running the Remus Sport (up to opf) for around a year now and I've had no problems.

To answer your questions:

Is it civilized? Absolutely. It's very audible on the exterior but not anti-social. Interior, assuming you do the ASD bypass, it will be extremely quiet on comfort and loud enough to hear it in Sport+. I do suggest to replace oem intake filter panels with something less restrictive. While the exhaust is audible in Sport+, it's not aggressively loud. Intake panels give you some more noise from the engine and make up for it.

Does it have any drone? None at all. I hate drone, can't live with it. Anything from an 8h highway drive to a short city one, I've had no problem with the Remus Sport.

Will you retain factory warranty? OPF is not touched with this system. Your're not tampering with anything engine wise. Worst case scenario, you can get warranty denied on the exhaust, which would be fair.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
I strongly suggest the Remus Sport exhaust (up to opf). Link

The race version is a lot more audible but people have experienced OPF related CEL's with it. I've been running the Remus Sport (up to opf) for around a year now and I've had no problems.

To answer your questions:

Is it civilized? Absolutely. It's very audible on the exterior but not anti-social. Interior, assuming you do the ASD bypass, it will be extremely quiet on comfort and loud enough to hear it in Sport+. I do suggest to replace oem intake filter panels with something less restrictive. While the exhaust is audible in Sport+, it's not aggressively loud. Intake panels give you some more noise from the engine and make up for it.

Does it have any drone? None at all. I hate drone, can't live with it. Anything from an 8h highway drive to a short city one, I've had no problem with the Remus Sport.

Will you retain factory warranty? OPF is not touched with this system. Your're not tampering with anything engine wise. Worst case scenario, you can get warranty denied on the exhaust, which would be fair.

Thanks for the feedback!
I can see you have a car with OPF. Btw, what were the reasons you did not consider M perfomance exhaust or Akrapovic?

What was the price of the Remus sport?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Remus Sport goes from €2,757.60 to €3,439.20 depending on Tip choice

Didn't consider the M-Performance because it wasn't available last year. Not even sure if an OPF version was made to be honest.

Akrapovic because the sound isn't that great on the S55. More miss than hit. A Milltek for 1/3 of the price is even better imho
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 03:48 AM   #9
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Remus Sport goes from €2,757.60 to €3,439.20 depending on Tip choice

Didn't consider the M-Performance because it wasn't available last year. Not even sure if an OPF version was made to be honest.

Akrapovic because the sound isn't that great on the S55. More miss than hit. A Milltek for 1/3 of the price is even better imho
Thanks for the info.

Interesting note on Akrapovic.

It looks like Remus Sport is the only viable option
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 03:58 AM   #10
maniac886
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

OP , I was going through a similar thought process. I also wanted an exhaust system that didn't drone , wasn't too loud and also didn't cause the CEL light to come on. In the end I decided on the Milltek Race OPF back system (not equal length). I havn't had the system installed yet (couple of weeks wait for carbon tips). I will let you know how I get on when I get the system installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #11
kart driver
Captain
Rep

The reality is that I have quite an experience with aftermarket tuning for my cars in the past and that experience always required a lot of time, efforts and resulted in many case with pain in the ass.

Thus I try to keep away from aftermarket solutions as much as I can. Specifically this car, which is for long journeys across Europe and which also serves as my wife’s summer car I want to keep everything as simple as possible.

So for me a factory warranty is absolute must, therefore the furthest I can go with this car is just a slip-on exhaust. And if a factory solution being M perfomance exhaust is good enough except for the price, then I am all for it.

From what I have heard in youtube and read here on this forum there are two options:

1) M perfomance - primary option

The reason why it is a primary option is because you can travel different countries in Europe and visit any bmw dealer without any headache having all original bmw parts on the car.

There are two questions that I have:

1) Does it have any drone?

I had the MPE in the past on my E92 M3 And it had some drone at mid revs although I liked the sound in general.

2) As far as the info on this forum tells there are two different M performance exhausts with two different part numbers:

One is for cars with OPF (European market)
The other one is for cars without OPF (US market)

I have just called BMW dealer asking for thE MPE for OPF cars and they said this part number is non-existent and this item is not available.

When I asked if the MPE for cars without OPF can be installed to my car they said that the program doesn’t give it as available option for my car with OPF. At the same time they do not know the reason for it - is it because it can not be paired with my car and I will have CEL WARNING or is it just because the MPE for cars without OPF is simply not meeting the sound regulations.

As explained earlier for me the noise regulations is not a problem at all and in case the MPE for cars without OPF fits me and does not deliver any CEL warnings and in reality is just too loud according to European standards - I am all for it and will install it.

2) Remus Sport - secondary option

Seems to have a nice and civilized sound with no drone. The major drawback is the fact that it is an aftermarket part.

The other downside is I am not a big fan of the Remus exhaust tips.

Last edited by kart driver; 03-07-2020 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #12
maniac886
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
The reality is that I have quite an experience with aftermarket tuning for my cars in the past and that experience always required a lot of time, efforts and resulted in many case with pain in the ass.

Thus I try to keep away from aftermarket solutions as much as I can. Specifically this car, which is for long journeys across Europe and which also serves as my wife’s summer car I want to keep everything as simple as possible.

So for me a factory warranty is absolute must, therefore the furthest I can go with this car is just a slip-on exhaust. And if a factory solution being M perfomance exhaust is good enough except for the price, then I am all for it.

From what I have heard in youtube and read here on this forum there are two options:

1) M perfomance - primary option

The reason why it is a primary option is because you can travel different countries in Europe and visit any bmw dealer without any headache having all original bmw parts on the car.

There are two questions that I have:

1) Does it have any drone?

I had the MPE in the past on my E92 M3 And it had some drone at mid revs although I liked the sound in general.

2) As far as the info on this forum tells there are two different M performance exhausts with two different part numbers:

One is for cars with OPF (European market)
The other one is for cars without OPF (US market)

I have just called BMW dealer asking for thE MPE for OPF cars and they said this part number is non-existent and this item is not available.

When I asked if the MPE for cars without OPF can be installed to my car they said that the program doesn’t give it as available option for my car with OPF. At the same time they do not know the reason for it - is it because it can not be paired with my car and I will have CEL WARNING or is it just because the MPE for cars without OPF is simply not meeting the sound regulations.

As explained earlier for me the noise regulations is not a problem at all and in case the MPE for cars without OPF fits me and does not deliver any CEL warnings and in reality is just too loud according to European standards - I am all for it and will install it.

2) Remus Sport - secondary option

Seems to have a nice and civilized sound with no drone. The major drawback is the fact that it is an aftermarket part.

The other downside is I am not a big fan of the Remus exhaust tips.
1) As far as I am aware there is no MPE option for OPF European vehicles.

2)Yes Remus sport is an option but your warranty will still be invalid for your exhaust as it's an aftermarket part but you can always return it back to standard.

I have gone for the Milltek race(OPF Back) , if the CEL comes on for any reason I have the option of purchasing their EC approved centre silencer or worse comes to worst go back to standard. I have contacted Milltek UK and they have said the CEL won't be activated and there havn't been any reported cases as far as I am aware.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 06:18 PM   #13
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac886 View Post
1) As far as I am aware there is no MPE option for OPF European vehicles.

2)Yes Remus sport is an option but your warranty will still be invalid for your exhaust as it's an aftermarket part but you can always return it back to standard.

I have gone for the Milltek race(OPF Back) , if the CEL comes on for any reason I have the option of purchasing their EC approved centre silencer or worse comes to worst go back to standard. I have contacted Milltek UK and they have said the CEL won't be activated and there havn't been any reported cases as far as I am aware.
there is no mpe in europe because it doesn't meet the new db regulation. it doesn't have anything to do with emission.

milltek will trig a cell if you remove the ops.that is 90% guarantee. miltek sells the opf back and the cat back. the cat back is meant to be without the opf of course and it will trig.

if you buy and exhaust that requeres cut and weld then it will void the warranty because of modification even if you put the stock exhaust together. (teoretically, the dealer might decide to unsee what he saw)

i have a couple of video of the milltek in my youtube channel or instagram
      03-08-2020, 04:44 AM   #14
kart driver
Captain
Rep

The major question is if fitting the MPE exhaust (designed for NO OPF cars) for the car with OPF (EU market) will result in CEL warning or not?
Appreciate 0