BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track setup - yeah, I know, another thread

08-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #23
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
And so it begins.

Ordered a set of 9.5 & 10.5 x 19 Apex EC-7 wheels. From what I was told, a few of the group buy people bailed due to delays in receiving so there are a couple sets that will be available. I went with silver (his suggestion) but in the comment box asked for Anthracite. I don't care what color I get - it's going on the track. I may get silly and get them powder coated amethyst or a similar shade of blue just for the fun of it anyhow.

Also have a set of Ground Control camber plates (for OEM suspension) on order with Apex - requested they send them now, not with the wheels.

Also decided that I'm going to throw Toyo R888R sneakers on it - 265 & 295

I've run the Toyos and wasn't overly impressed (was my first step into R compound - thought it was going to be a much bigger step than it was) but didn't dislike them either. Good balanced tire that lasts a bit.

My three choices were Toyos, Sport Cup 2 or Trofeo R. After looking at the price point, I went with the least expensive as my first set for the car.

I ran a set of Sport Cups once and didn't think they were better than the Toyos - mind you, I'm talking a comparison of R888 and Sport Cups, not the now available R888R and Sport Cup 2. I hear the SC2's are pretty darned good now.

I originally was going to hop on the Trofeo R band wagon (much better than the other two) but the 400 dollar price difference from the Toyos was enough to say "Let's just step in lightly at first."

Everyone that has 19" wheels needs to bombard Hoosier and tell them we need 275 & 295 30-19's. Those would be tits for this car.

So for now, I should be track ready (oh, crap... I need to order pads) with a setup that will let me play and get to know the car. Once I've got some seat time in it (probably a season's worth) I'll start messing with suspension.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      08-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #24
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
As for the DCT cooler, OG was talking about the E92 not out cars. I have not read anything on ours overheating yet. BTW ask for data on cooling performance I heard some big names dont work much better than stock...
I was also talking about F87s... Its certainly driver & also track dependent - but the DCT in the M2 is still susceptible to overheating on the track. A decent pace and stickier tires will amplify it as well. It is not uncommon for M2 track cars to have upgraded the DCT cooler. Just telling the OP that if he starts to get sloppy & laggy shifts to keep this in mind. It doesn't have to happen to him but with 10 years experience and a fondness for sticky tires there is a good chance it will.

As far as cooling performance from big names I 100% agree about the lack of data being available - and I say this having upgraded every cooler in my two current M track cars. The do88 DCT cooler specifically though does have a good track record. On my N55 M2 I still cannot keep temps in check after having upgraded all the coolers - buts its a different animal and a known issue when pushed hard on the track. Having to get creative on that one.

Aftermarket intercoolers in particular can be very guilty of the big claims with no data. Its kind of amusing to see all the more power & cooler IATs claimed - and will show the data soon - yet no data is ever given.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #25
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just had a good chat with Tyler at a local shop that I have been directed towards.
He mentioned cooling also.
I’ll wait on my camber plates to show up and then head to his doorstep with them.
He informs me that they have a track setup 19 M2C and will share info when we can shake hands and meet in person. - like him already with this attitude. 👍🏻
Appreciate 1
Ex_Stig2562.50
      08-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #26
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Fab View Post

Everyone that has 19" wheels needs to bombard Hoosier and tell them we need 275 & 295 30-19's. Those would be tits for this car.
Definitely not wrong about this part... can confirm 275 & 295 R7's on this car do not suck.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #27
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
I was also talking about F87s... Its certainly driver & also track dependent - but the DCT in the M2 is still susceptible to overheating on the track. A decent pace and stickier tires will amplify it as well. It is not uncommon for M2 track cars to have upgraded the DCT cooler. Just telling the OP that if he starts to get sloppy & laggy shifts to keep this in mind. It doesn't have to happen to him but with 10 years experience and a fondness for sticky tires there is a good chance it will.
"Check out do88 - it has been stellar in my track E92 M3 that I could overheat even on street tires."

This statement of yours did not make it clear to me you were referring to F87s. Indeed nowhere in that post do you refer to having issues with your F87 DCT as you clarify now. No biggie.

I agree with everything else you say. Do you have the d088 DCT cooler on your M2?

Wagner tuning charge cooler + rad are the only ones that are better than OEM.

Edit, is 275/295 so much better than 265/295? Also do 295s on OEM rims rub under compression?

Also do you guys get Nankang over in the states? they make a decent track try for a decent price.

haha on the Radical, the SR3 does not have that problem as it has the Hayabusa engine but its still a PIA maintenance wise. My friend has had to redo pretty much the whole car and its still not 100%. They are damn fast with nearly 2G in the corners!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:19 PM   #28
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Team-Tech jet pilot harnesses (what I've used for years in my off road race vehicles), Studio RSR roll cage and Pagid yellow pads for both axles on order.

I need to stay off the internet.

Took the car out again yesterday to my favorite little play land. Man this thing is fun.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #29
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Got my new shoes installed to day along with Ground Control camber plates. Still have to get an alignment done.

Thanks to Tyler at Hardy Vehicle Designs in Tempe, AZ for helping get the camber plates installed.

Apex EC-7 in silver with Toyo R888R (265 & 295 R19) on 2020 M2 Competition.

Still in the cue for the RSR cage - called them this week and spec'd satin black instead of bare. Harnesses came on Monday - haven't unboxed yet, need to.

Had a good discussion with Tyler about cooling. He agrees with a couple of you guys saying that it's insufficient, especially here in the desert.

Suggested looking at Dinan's stuff - says it's on the spendy side but is proven equipment.

I'll start doing a bit of research on this here soon.
Appreciate 2
bentom2335.50
Ex_Stig2562.50
      09-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #30
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
do88 makes nice stuff! - and it's a lot less than Dinan...

DCT oil cooler and engine oil cooler now on order.

I need to stay off of the internet.
Appreciate 1
Ex_Stig2562.50
      09-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #31
triss85
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Just make sure you ordered correctly because the ones you linked to is for the regular M2.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #32
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Uh oh.
I was careful about that too.

Gonna have to contact them and make sure - and they've already shipped.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #33
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by triss
Just make sure you ordered correctly because the ones you linked to is for the regular M2.
Crap. You're correct. I have the wrong parts headed to me. do88 said they'd happily refund, I'm just going to have to eat shipping.

Anyone with an M2 (not M2 Comp) need coolers? I'll sell them for what they cost me and I'll cover shipping - will sell separately.

Car is aligned - 2.85 degrees of camber up front, 1.8 in rear, zero toe on both ends with me in the driver's seat. It always impresses me what adding 160 lbs to the left side of the car does to the settings - changes things about .3 degrees.

Got my Team Tech Motorsports harnesses. I think I nailed the color combo.

They call this style the JetPilot.

Instead of having an anti-submarine strap that is required to go down between your legs, these have a pair of loops that your legs go through and no center mount is required - they never give you the crotch. Have been using these in my desert/off road racing stuff for years.

These make installation into a car with stock seats a lot easier. I'll have to make mounts for the "bottom" that will be integrated into the rear seat mounts.

They'll allow for simple, quick installation/removal so I'm not fighting them whenever I'm daily driving. Of course the shoulder straps will go to the RSR roll cage, once it's here and installed (4ish weeks).

Oct 5th will be my first track event with the car at the Bondurant course at Wild Horse Pass with our local PCA chapter. It's a short, tired, relatively slow course but a lot of fun.

I'm looking forward to getting this thing out onto the track!
Appreciate 1
Ex_Stig2562.50
      10-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #34
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Prepped and ready:

Camber plates installed/set
Sticky Shoes
Pagid yellow pads
Motul 660 RBF

Tomorrow at Arizona Motorsports Park w/PCA should be fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #35
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Fab View Post
Prepped and ready:

Camber plates installed/set
Sticky Shoes
Pagid yellow pads
Motul 660 RBF

Tomorrow at Arizona Motorsports Park w/PCA should be fun.
I'll see you there! I put some sticky shoes on my CS as well (Sport Cup 2s), but still running stock camber

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 06:28 PM   #36
mcgarnigle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C

Subscribed to see how the studiorsr bar installs
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #37
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
I'll see you there! I put some sticky shoes on my CS as well (Sport Cup 2s), but still running stock camber
Well crap - we missed each other. Where were you parked? I was in the grey box van with the white trailer just down from staging.

------------

Car was fun at the track yesterday (AMP Arizona Motorsports Park) rear end has NO traction and I'm horribly spoiled with 10 years of Quattro behind me.

Still not impressed with Toyo R888... Felt the same way they did on the R8 - always slipping around. They're very controllable, just slippy. Come on Hoosier, make tires that fit! - will give the Trofeo R a try next but I'll have fun wearing out these first. I kept shooting for 36 psi hot and will start playing from there to see if I can get a bit more rear end traction.

Looks like I got the camber settings pretty spot on, tire wear across front and rear is perfect - very even. (but I wonder if more traction under power is available with a change in the rear? - presently at 1.8 if I recall correctly)

Pagids worked very well. There are four pretty serious braking zones at AMP and I was getting into the ABS at times - I’m impressed with just how smoothly the ABS works too. My first time into the back straight's braking zone was a wake up from 1600 lbs and slicks (Radical) to 3750 lbs and R compounds Holy crap STOP! Didn't run off the track though.

There was some instant ass meter recalibration after that corner.

I did have a bit of long pedal throw at the end of a pair of back to back 20 minutes sessions and I was having fun being aggressive with the brakes - car stops really well and the modulation is good. Nice feel. I'll flush them again now that I have a track day on the first flush and I'm sure there's still some of the OEM stuff mixed in.

Front end was always nice and did what I asked with the exception of turn 10 - it’s one that I have fun through and tend to get into a bit hot (Radical spoiled me - recorded 1.9Gs through it so I keep trying LOL). It’s a front end pusher if you don’t get turned in correctly - fortunately lots of screw up/recovery room so it’s a fun one to push the limits in. Get it right and the car settles in hard on the right side and bites really well.

Rear end did a lot of dancing and sliding. It's very, very controllable (and a lot of fun) but not the fast line. I played around with the throttle settings and agree that the middle is best. Comfort is slow to react, sport is like a crack addict.

The suspension needs attention. Through 8 & 9 there are bumps. They unsettled the back end really badly - skip and wheel spin. The car pitches and rolls a bit more "floppy" than I'd like too.

Riding with a student in his M3, with his mag ride set to sport, was a totally different ride. His car felt very planted and compliant over the same section. He had traction and control - and the guy was a very good driver (his consistency around the track is better than mine - laughed about this quite a bit too. damn him). Took the student out in my car and he commented immediately about it too.

There's definitely a lot more in the chassis with some tuning.

So overall I'm very pleased - this car is fun to drive, which is what I was after.

I'm looking forward to getting my roll bar installed so I'm held in the seats better with harnesses.

The better you're secured in the car, the less energy you spend hanging on and the more you can focus on driving. Makes a huge difference.

Little trick for three point harness tightening - Move the seat rearwards about 3" from your normal driving position. Pull the belt as tightly as you can across your lap, lean back into the seat and hold the belt tight across your torso at your shoulder. Roll the car forward a couple of feet or so and jam on the brakes as abruptly as you can - it causes the belt tensioner to lock. Then move seat back into the driving position - it locks you down nice and tightly into the seat.
Appreciate 2
Ex_Stig2562.50
      10-27-2019, 10:09 PM   #38
swootdaddy
Rep

What were track/weather conditions like? I plan to get my M2C track ready as well, and all the tracks closest to me are in the desert. I'll probably mostly plan to track it during cooler months, but it'd still be nice to know if overheating will be an issue. I recently got to drive an M5 on track in the desert and the engine was overheating basically every 5 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:30 PM   #39
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It was nice. Low 60s at the beginning of the day and mid 80s during the day.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 11:48 PM   #40
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swootdaddy View Post
What were track/weather conditions like? I plan to get my M2C track ready as well, and all the tracks closest to me are in the desert. I'll probably mostly plan to track it during cooler months, but it'd still be nice to know if overheating will be an issue. I recently got to drive an M5 on track in the desert and the engine was overheating basically every 5 minutes.
Really? What temps were you seeing in the M5? The BMW Performance Center in Thermal runs their events year round. They have M5s run on the track with the AC on and I've never seen that as a issue.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 04:17 AM   #41
swootdaddy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Really? What temps were you seeing in the M5? The BMW Performance Center in Thermal runs their events year round. They have M5s run on the track with the AC on and I've never seen that as a issue.
That's exactly where I drove the M5 just a couple weeks ago. I think air temp was around 93-98F for most of the day. Even when shifting at around 6k rpm the M5 engine was overheating every couple laps and the software would automatically cut/limit the power. The other people driving M5's and M4's didn't seem to have that problem though so it might just have been the one car I was using.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #42
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Back from three days running Buttonwillow CCW.

WHAT A BLAST!!!!

As my butt gets more comfy in the driver's seat of the M2 I'm discovering just what a great track car it is.

Finally got the Toyos heat cycled and up to snuff - I've changed my stance on them and am actually quite impressed.

I guess the difference between the last generation and the present tire is quite a bit. They (last generation) never felt this sticky or precise on the R8.

They are a handful when they're cold on a cold, green track, though. I went four wheels off during the opening lap on Saturday morning out of the Sweeper (with my student riding shotgun )

Low pressures (28 psi starting pressure - I was being very lazy and it bit my ass) and temps in the low 40's made for "As you track out you want to be pointed this way (insert loss of front end, slide, hey, let's go off roading!) for the drive down the straight."

She (student) was actually very cool about it - "I'm glad we went full four off, now I know what to do." I narrated what was going on from the moment we started loosing grip until we got back on at the entry to Phil Hill. "Gently throttle off, keep car pointed where you want to go, don't be jerky with the wheel, look up, look ahead, find where it's safe to get back on, etc.."

I guess, in reality, it's an exercise all students need to experience. The instructor behind me said it looked like the car hit ice and just suddenly went drifting off to the right. Was glad to have verification that it wasn't me being stupid, just set up going into the corner incorrectly. (ironic since I helped lay out the cones on Friday night for the weekend sessions)

So back to the car on the track: KILLER!!!

The camber at 2.85 degrees in front and 1.8 rear is perfect. My tire wear and temps across the tread were very consistent - just a couple more degrees of heat in the outer shoulders, which is to be expected - 140-145 was what I measured over the weekend after spirited runs.

I was aiming for 36 psi hot (seems to like it there). The car reports pressures 2 degrees less than my gauge, which is interesting. I trust the gauge more than the car.

Being that Buttonwillow is absolutely smooth other than the bump into Phil Hill and a little dip at the entry to Riverside, I was able to get a feeling for the suspension's areas for improvement.

Front end is a happy thing - it goes where I want, sticks very well, understeers on exit a tad but nothing a small drag of the brakes doesn't correct. Left foot braking really helps here as it's always sitting on the pedal ready to add any needed control input. It's great for that transition from trail braking into the corner to throttle on just before the apex too.

Back end is skittish (as mentioned in a post above). It's just slightly stiff with spring rates and it desperately needs more rebound damping. It rebounds quickly enough that it can get the rear loose and make it a handful - or fun, depending on how you look at it. A little rear drift is fun but not as quick.

A bit more damping control on both ends and a slightly softer rear spring will definitely get rid of the jitters over rough stuff.

Running CCW with Star Mazda, the Bus Stop and Off Ramp I was running 2:10's on Friday (timing provided by a guy I was tucked up with for half a dozen laps, using Harry's - which will NOT load anything for me - always been frustrated with that app) and I'm pretty sure I knocked off at least a second or two as the weekend progressed.

Never had any issues with the DCT. It never once even hinted that it was unhappy with me. The track is mainly run in 3rd and 4th gear. Clicked into 5th a couple of times on the front straight but it's no advantage/disadvantage that I could see. I'd try 2nd gear out of Off Ramp and get too much wheel spin so it was generally 3rd and a bit of a lag in drive - which isn't a bad deal with the way that comes out of the dip and kept the back end happier, a.k.a. behind me. I'll still be putting a DCT cooler on it when Dinan gets them released (they're working on them).

Brakes are great. Yellow Pagids work fantastically. On Friday during the first session the pedal was initially kind of stiff feeling but after the first couple of sessions the throw became a bit softer and longer and had more feeling - an improvement over the initial feeling. Not sure if it was just a fully cold car or if they took a bedding that let them work better. Regardless, no complaints in the braking department at all.

I'm really ready to get my RSR cage in so I can strap myself in nice and tightly and not have to hang on as much as just the three point belt makes you do.

I've found the best way to combat three point movement is to pretension/lock the three point belt: Put seat back about 4", pull belt as tightly as I can across my lap and then lean back in the seat as hard as I can, hold the belt against my shoulder, roll car forward a tad, snap on the brakes to make the belt lock, move seat back to driving position and I'm locked in as well as I can be - and my left collarbone is bruised from the lack of padding (It's a bumpy sucker so... Motocross has been hard on my clavicles as I've broken them, cumulatively, 10 times).

So overall I'm extremely pleased with the track manners of the little M2 Competition. The mods thus far are spot on and I'm looking forward to improving it as I get more seat time.

Will be getting it back on the track in a couple weekends at Wild Horse with PCA on Sunday, Dec 15th. Click here if you're interested in coming out and getting some fun time in.

If you're in the Phoenix area, come play!
Appreciate 1
Ex_Stig2562.50
      11-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #43
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Good to read some confirmation of my experience with the stock suspension. If you look through the CaliPhotography photos from C group on Saturday (#11), you can actually see daylight under my inside rear tire in the Off Ramp corner. I assume it’s skipping over some bumps from the asphalt/concrete/asphalt transitions. Explains why I couldn’t accelerate out of the corner.

Actually, here’s the photo I’m referring to;

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #44
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
Good to read some confirmation of my experience with the stock suspension. If you look through the CaliPhotography photos from C group on Saturday (#11), you can actually see daylight under my inside rear tire in the Off Ramp corner. I assume it’s skipping over some bumps from the asphalt/concrete/asphalt transitions. Explains why I couldn’t accelerate out of the corner.

Actually, here’s the photo I’m referring to;

May be my eyes but that tire (left rear) seems planted to me. The daylight seems to just be the sunny area between the front's shadow and the rear tire.
Appreciate 2
bentom2335.50
Conissah1574.50