BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Why in God's name did BMW continue to manufacture it this way?

06-27-2019, 06:18 PM   #23
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I agree BMW should of came up with a solution years ago. The S55 motor is almost at the end of its life cycle and bmw not providing an update is really disappointing and I'm losing faith in the brand.
You're right about BMW not giving a shit about longevity and this is nothing new.

Same as the E92 M3 had rod bearing and throttle body actuator issue, any reputable mechanic can see that BMW didn't designed their motor to last pass the warranty period.

I remember when I took apart the throttle body in the E92 M3, the teeth that grips and controls the throttle was made out of plastic, almost guaranteed it was eventually going to wear out and fail.

The rod bearing had very tight tolerances between the rod bearings and the crankshaft. So when the engine oil is cold, thus quite viscous, it can't lubricate them well enough to handle the high revs that the engine is capable of. So if you start the car up and immediately rev the nuts off it, you can prematurely wear the rod bearings down.

BMW doesn't build vehicles to the likes of Toyota or Honda's reliability, however, they do make good vehicles but they're unfortunately have sort of have a finite shelf-life.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:30 AM   #24
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford View Post
Hear you buddy. This is my 3rd M car and going to be my last if I spin this crank hub in stock tune. That would be beyond unexpectable regardless they will warranty it. 0 piece of mind imho.
This is my first and last M, I've said that a few times now. Pretty sure I'll stick to that after the BS I've had to go through. Saw your comment on the 5.0, our 18 is 1050whp stock longblock, 15 was 850whp, 14 is 800whp, 12 was 700whp. None of these motors popped and even if they did, almost every Ford dealership really does not care and approves warranty..as long as you build a relationship with them.

For those who do not know, the upgrade that a lot of 5.0 owners do as cheap insurance are oil pump gears and crank sprocket. It's a $298 fix to the cheap ones Ford decided to use (and thus if they crack, theyll shatter and then lose all oil pressure and can lock motor. Obviously this is rare).

I've really never felt so forgotten/left out when it comes to a major purchase until this car. I do not think my mind can be changed when I say BMW really does not care.

I have no experience with Audi so that route does intrigue me...but we will see. Once I get the car back I'm sure I'll love it, but the foul taste has already occurred. And yes, I get it, things happen and my situation is just unlucky, but the stringing along and just utter BS is what makes me upset.

Also for reference, BMW tried denying my warranty from a catback. Yeah - me swapping out a catback blew up the motor, messed up the trans, blew the bushings, etc.

Rant over.

Car is still beautiful. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:13 AM   #25
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
This is my first and last M, I've said that a few times now. Pretty sure I'll stick to that after the BS I've had to go through. Saw your comment on the 5.0, our 18 is 1050whp stock longblock, 15 was 850whp, 14 is 800whp, 12 was 700whp. None of these motors popped and even if they did, almost every Ford dealership really does not care and approves warranty..as long as you build a relationship with them.

For those who do not know, the upgrade that a lot of 5.0 owners do as cheap insurance are oil pump gears and crank sprocket. It's a $298 fix to the cheap ones Ford decided to use (and thus if they crack, theyll shatter and then lose all oil pressure and can lock motor. Obviously this is rare).

I've really never felt so forgotten/left out when it comes to a major purchase until this car. I do not think my mind can be changed when I say BMW really does not care.

I have no experience with Audi so that route does intrigue me...but we will see. Once I get the car back I'm sure I'll love it, but the foul taste has already occurred. And yes, I get it, things happen and my situation is just unlucky, but the stringing along and just utter BS is what makes me upset.

Also for reference, BMW tried denying my warranty from a catback. Yeah - me swapping out a catback blew up the motor, messed up the trans, blew the bushings, etc.

Rant over.

Car is still beautiful. Lol.

Damn, I would have the same outlook as you after all that.

This is your second M2 if I'm not mistaken?

I'd honestly have them buy the car back and go else where, especially with all this down time, and still making payments on the damn thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:16 AM   #26
brad65ford
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

BMW's new slogan should be.... "Deal with it"
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #27
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

i believe we are complaining about it too much. in the world there are many many s55 without problems. i have alt least 10 customer with a m3/4 who didn't have any problem at all of course in a forum is more likely to hear a failure than anywhere else.
Appreciate 2
VIERsr2620.50
gmazet307.00
      07-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #28
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
sheeeeeeeit my x5 is 2 years old and I'm already getting "upgrade your x5 and save money" mailers from BMW NA
because there suckers like me that switch cars every 1-3yrs lol.

I just traded in my 2018 infiniti q60 redsport after 1yr for a 2017 BMW M2 6spd
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #29
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The crank hub issue occurred with all variations of motor; stock or tune. So I agree with you, BMW made a "weak" motor.

However, I was pointing out the root cause of the problem is due to a specific part, not the entire motor.

I'm not defending BMW but let's be real; they are tens of thousands of S55 out there that last the life of the vehicle, so It's really a roll of the dice that you end up with a potential dud.
Nothing is set in stone or guaranteed to eventually fail.

And also, if you don't flash tune and void your warranty, you really have little to worry about for at least 4 years/ 50,000 miles..
Try paying for the car for 7 months without having it cuz the motor/trans let go.. thats my situation and why I am so disappointed.
      07-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #30
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
let's pool our resources as a community and get the issue enough attention for them to generate a recall. ;D

jalopnik: s55 explodes, killing 4 children.
carbuzz: s55 crank hub flies off car, killing priest
top gear: critical BMW flaw destroys cars and lives
buzz feed: my s55 crank hub got my wife pregnant
Auto Blog: you'll never guess what my s55 did! click to find out!
Appreciate 0