BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple Carplay topics

03-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #1343
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racekaby View Post
Why has BMW made it free for Apple Car Play in USA but is still charging in the UK?
I’ve not paid for mine...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 12:54 AM   #1344
emtwo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Update

I called BMW Genius and they said my car couldn't get CarPlay. Wouldn't explain why.

How is this possible for a 2018 car? Are there any other options since I would quite like to have Carplay.

I'm hoping to not make any big hardware modifications to the car and didnt think I'd need to.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 02:01 AM   #1345
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtwo View Post
I called BMW Genius and they said my car couldn't get CarPlay. Wouldn't explain why.

How is this possible for a 2018 car? Are there any other options since I would quite like to have Carplay.

I'm hoping to not make any big hardware modifications to the car and didnt think I'd need to.
All 2018 US/Canada spec BMWs have the proper equipment (WiFi antenna) to activate CarPlay.

Your BMW Genius is not that informed on the facts.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #1346
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
All 2018 US/Canada spec BMWs have the proper equipment (WiFi antenna) to activate CarPlay.

Not all. This is not true.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #1347
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:

If/when you get this working - I'd love to know your thoughts. I personally thought that I wasted $300 on Carplay (my dealer warned me, but I did not listen). Not implemented well in BMWs IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #1348
emtwo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
If/when you get this working - I'd love to know your thoughts. I personally thought that I wasted $300 on Carplay (my dealer warned me, but I did not listen). Not implemented well in BMWs IMHO.
Update 2: Called my local dealership who asked to talk to BMW Connected Drive to set it up. Connected Drive backed up what BMW Genius said and said my 2018 M2 doesn't have the hardware to remote setup CarPlay. Suggested calling dealer back for options.

Dealership says they can't do anything at this stage to retrofit headunits. Said I could look at aftermarket solutions but that it would void the headunit warranty so not something they can recommend.

I might look into Bimmertech but this whole situation has been quite frustrating. I'm coming from a 2016 VW GTI that has it setup seamlessly so having to do this stuff on the side in a 2018 BMW seems really stupid.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #1349
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Quote:

Not all. This is not true.
Oh yea, so tell me what's missing then, magic?

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...it-in-your-bmw

https://juicelp-dev.s3.amazonaws.com...y+-+Launch.pdf
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #1350
emtwo
Private
Rep

Quote:
I mean, I personally spoke to BMW about my 2018 M2 and they said it's not available.

Even Bimmertech is saying CarPlay is possible but I'd have to install a WiFi antenna, which I'm not sure I want to do since it always opening up the interior trim and accessing the head unit, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:28 AM   #1351
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I mean, I personally spoke to BMW about my 2018 M2 and they said it's not available.

Even Bimmertech is saying CarPlay is possible but I'd have to install a WiFi antenna, which I'm not sure I want to do since it always opening up the interior trim and accessing the head unit, etc.
From my understanding, all US/Canada spec M2s for 2018 came with BMW Professional Navigation with iDrive 6 (Touchscreen), which has CarPlay preparation (6CP) integrated standard. There is no way to uncheck this, it's what it is, regardless if wanted it or not.

Since this unit comes with CarPlay preparation, the necessary hardware already comes installed standard, which consists of Wi-Fi antenna, which is also used to communicate with Screen Mirroring feature, with some Android phones.

When you choose to add CarPlay after purchase, BMW provision is activation via their ConnectDrive portal.

Certain aspects of the CarPlay function uses the vehicles build-in 4G LTE connection, which is standard in US/Canada spec vehicles, in addition to your personal phone data.

I suggest you call ConnectDrive Canada (1-800-493-4070) directly and find out if they can activate it OTD.

Maybe there is some regional restriction that I'm not aware of but as far as the required hardware goes, it's all there and ready to go, as outline by this official document below that was privy to sales franchise dealerships.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:37 AM   #1352
emtwo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

From my understanding, all US/Canada spec M2s for 2018 came with BMW Professional Navigation with iDrive 6, which has CarPlay preparation (6CP) integrated standard. There is no way to uncheck this, it's what it is, regardless if wanted it or not.

Since this unit comes with CarPlay preparation, the hardware already comes installed standard, which consists of Wi-Fi antenna, which is also used to communicate with Screen Mirroring feature, with Android phone.

When you choose to add CarPlay after purchase, BMW provision is activation via their ConnectDrive portal.

Certain aspects of the CarPlay function uses the vehicles build-in 4G LTE connection, which is standard in US/Canada spec vehicles, in addition to your personal phone data.

I suggest you call ConnectDrive Canada directly and find out if they can activate it OTD, maybe there is some regional restriction but as far as the required hardware goes, it's all there and ready to go, as outline by this official document below that was privy to sales franchise dealerships.
Step 1 in the document you attached says to verify that the vehicle is Carplay compatible. When I called ConnectedDrive Canada, they said my car wasn't.

I'm open to calling them again but I've had 2 sources within BMW telling me my car isn't compatible (after checking my VIN) which makes the chances of that being not true less likely.

Wish me luck tho
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      03-25-2020, 12:42 AM   #1353
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

From my understanding, all US/Canada spec M2s for 2018 came with BMW Professional Navigation with iDrive 6, which has CarPlay preparation (6CP) integrated standard. There is no way to uncheck this, it's what it is, regardless if wanted it or not.

Since this unit comes with CarPlay preparation, the hardware already comes installed standard, which consists of Wi-Fi antenna, which is also used to communicate with Screen Mirroring feature, with Android phone.

I suggest you call ConnectDrive Canada directly and find out if they can activate it OTD, maybe there is some regional restriction but as far as the required hardware goes, it's all there and ready to go, as outline by this official document below that was privy to sales franchise dealerships.
Step 1 in the document you attached says to verify that the vehicle is Carplay compatible. When I called ConnectedDrive Canada, they said my car wasn't.

I'm open to calling them again but I've had 2 sources within BMW telling me my car isn't compatible (after checking my VIN) which makes the chances of that being not true less likely.

Wish me luck tho
Well, I don't what to tell you then but I recently had a new X2 loaner car with the most basic headunit I ever seen, it was just the 6.5 screen infotainment screen without navigation and even that had wireless CarPlay active.

This is first case where I'm hearing it's not available especially on an M2, which comes with the top-tier headunit as a standard option.

I hope it works out for you
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 08:28 AM   #1354
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Apple CarPlay is just OK. I'm using it but if BMW took it away I wouldn't care.

I've only found 3 useful things:
Message notifications
Apple Music (Included with my Verizon mobile service or I would not pay for it)
Waze

If not for Apple Music I would use iDrive. CarPlay has more bugs. I kinda cringe with every iOS update as the last one caused intermittent connection problems.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992538.50
      04-27-2020, 03:41 AM   #1355
hoganscrogan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition - DSG

Quote:

Morning mate - UK car and didn't have enhanced bluetooth on my M2 comp so no BMW store carplay activation available.
For BMW activation you MUST have had a factory fitted wifi antenna (in UK this was part of Enhanced blue tooth).

However if you use aftermarket activation (I'd recommend Kubax on here) you can do this WITHOUT a wifi antenna, see my post on pistonheads. In the end I decided to install Wifi antenna which does improve speed and stability of Carplay.
However was really easy to do - see my experience below!

With a 2018 M2 you might be able to activate carplay with a simple USB stick, dependant on how new your iDrive software is.
If your iDrive is too new to allow the USB activation then you have to go down the eNET cable route (enet cables are about $15)- Also easy if you have a PC with ethernet port (I used a mac and virtual PC)

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1674016

& here for carplay activation (bimmerpost thread on same seems to have vanished!)
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=181&t=1844380

Last edited by hoganscrogan; 04-27-2020 at 03:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 02:28 AM   #1356
yoav80
Rep
Drives: M135 F20 and M2 F87

CarPlay and WiFi aerial

Hi, Looking to install CarPlay
1. Is the links on eBay working well? (Ones you download to a usb)
2. What WiFi aerial do I need to get on ebay(link please)

(car is 2017 pre-lci)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #1357
SPSE93
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoav80 View Post

(car is 2017 pre-lci)

Thanks
Pm me your short VIN. I will check for you

And heres a good Wifi antenna
https://www.ebay.com/itm/252975706813
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #1358
m2rs4_official
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

(car is 2017 pre-lci)

Thanks
How'd you go with your Car Play install/upgrade.

I've got a 2018 M2 and there's no CarPlay! What a joke, you reckon it can be fitted in the LCI models? Cos the dealer says it can only be done from factory of which I doubt.

Proud owner of Amelia & Rae. Yes, I named my vehicles
2018 BMW M2 LCI (Wedge Performance Tuned + Pure Turbo Stg 2 Upgrade)
2019 Audi RS4 Advant
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #1359
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2rs4_official View Post

I've got a 2018 M2 and there's no CarPlay! What a joke, you reckon it can be fitted in the LCI models? Cos the dealer says it can only be done from factory of which I doubt.
Dealer always says that. It could be done aftermarket, and if you need WiFi antenna - that depends on your equipment. You can PM me your VIN and I will check it for you if you need antenna or not.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #1360
m2rs4_official
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2rs4_official View Post

Dealer always says that. It could be done aftermarket, and if you need WiFi antenna - that depends on your equipment. You can PM me your VIN and I will check it for you if you need antenna or not.

Thanks
Thanks mate, I'll flick you through a DM. Do I need to get some activation stuff done?

Proud owner of Amelia & Rae. Yes, I named my vehicles
2018 BMW M2 LCI (Wedge Performance Tuned + Pure Turbo Stg 2 Upgrade)
2019 Audi RS4 Advant
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 05:15 AM   #1361
yoav80
Rep

Hi,

I have a pre lci 2017 m2 without CarPlay.

Noticed an eBay post for installing CarPlay via a usb for 30£, is this working?

Another thing, I read I should get a WiFi aerial, different products on eBay, which one should I get? Link would be helpful!

Thanks.

PFA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #1362
yoav80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSE93 View Post
Quote:

(car is 2017 pre-lci)

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSE93 View Post
Quote:

(car is 2017 pre-lci)

Thanks

Didn't notice my post was moved here and was answered, thanks, I'll send my vin tomorrow. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
SPSE93112.50
      05-08-2020, 03:59 PM   #1363
mrmjk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Sapphire Black

Another happy customer here of kubax86

Installation was super easy. The instructions say the procedure should take 6-7mins. Mine literally took 2 mins. Easy, fast and efficient. Can't recommend kubax86 more.

Notice to all new installers: after installing I recommend parking the car, locking it and let it settle. At first my CarPlay felt a bit slow - glitchy. After a few hours coming back to the car it worked flawlessly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
mzcp2657.00
      05-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #1364
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Hi,

I have a pre lci 2017 m2 without CarPlay.

Noticed an eBay post for installing CarPlay via a usb for 30£, is this working?

Another thing, I read I should get a WiFi aerial, different products on eBay, which one should I get? Link would be helpful!

Thanks.

PFA
Good taste in cars.
Appreciate 0