BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bimmerlink questions

03-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Bimmerlink questions

So i just bought bimmerlink and ive connected my OBD2 Bluetooth thingy and ive done a few things to the car. Namely removed the ASD and kept the exhaust valves open all the time.

Now my questions is.

1. Once im done coding, can i unplug the OBD2 reader or do i need to keep it plugged in at all times

2. Is keeping my exhaust flaps open at all times somehow bad for the car? I cant imagine it would be as cars that dont have exhaust flaps are essentially always in that state.

3. Is Bimmerlink something that would void my warranty? I imagine not since im not flashing the ECU. (yes i realized i should have asked before doing it)

anyhelp would be great thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
So i just bought bimmerlink and ive connected my OBD2 Bluetooth thingy and ive done a few things to the car. Namely removed the ASD and kept the exhaust valves open all the time.

Now my questions is.

1. Once im done coding, can i unplug the OBD2 reader or do i need to keep it plugged in at all times

2. Is keeping my exhaust flaps open at all times somehow bad for the car? I cant imagine it would be as cars that dont have exhaust flaps are essentially always in that state.

3. Is Bimmerlink something that would void my warranty? I imagine not since im not flashing the ECU. (yes i realized i should have asked before doing it)

anyhelp would be great thanks!
1 - You can remove the OBD reader after you've selected changes and applied them.

2 - The flaps will actually not be open 100% of the time. Not sure the exact logic. But not bad for the car.

3 - This is a hard question to answer. If you modify how you seats work, not likely, but I supposed a difficult service advisor could make trouble. I think the risk is pretty low for most adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Yeah i heard that even with the option set to "Open" theres still a threshhold and that its just lowered. Which is fine.

I dont know how much i like removing the ASD. The car seems abnormally quiet without it and while i do get its fake sound...i kinda like being able to hear the car without being obnoxious on the outside.

Thanks for answering!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

With Bimmerlink your settings are not saved, so ASD off and flap operation reverts to oem setting when you turn car off (you'll need to re-connect via OBD next time you start and renew your settings).

With Bimmercode your settings are saved (though you can't change exhaust flap operation via bimmercode).

Warranty shouldn't be affected, certainly with Bimmerlink, and similarly with Bimmercode unless you do some more serious changes in expert mode. It's probably also dependent on where you are and relationship with your dealer.
With Bimmercode I've coded out ASD, turned off the disclaimers on startup, changed mirrors folding to .5 sec (oem is 1.5 here in AU), auto off/start to remember last setting (it's defaults to on here) and turned off the horn alert when locking car whilst engine running. Car has been to dealer for service/warranty issues half a dozen times and nothing has ever been mentioned.

I keep the exhaust flap open full time by removing the fuse, you'd just need to identify which one it is for M2C (it's # 146 in OG)

Last edited by David.m; 03-09-2020 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #5
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
With Bimmerlink your settings are not saved, so ASD off and flap operation reverts to oem setting when you turn car off (you'll need to re-connect via OBD next time you start and renew your settings).

With Bimmercode your settings are saved (though you can't change exhaust flap operation via bimmercode).

Warranty shouldn't be affected, certainly with Bimmerlink, and similarly with Bimmercode unless you do some more serious changes in expert mode. It's probably also dependent on where you are and relationship with your dealer.
With Bimmercode I've coded out ASD, turned off the disclaimers on startup, changed mirrors folding to .5 sec (oem is 1.5 here in AU), auto off/start to remember last setting (it's defaults to on here) and turned off the horn alert when locking car whilst engine running. Car has been to dealer for service/warranty issues half a dozen times and nothing has ever been mentioned.
Oh dang thats kind of annoying that the settings dont stay. So if i were to keep the OBD2 reciever plugged in, would the settings save?

I chose Bimmerlink over Bimmercode since it had the exhaust option, however i guess i'll have to drop another 40$ to get Bimmercode to keep some settings permanent. i really want to get rid of the warning when you turn the car on. So useless.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
So if i were to keep the OBD2 reciever plugged in, would the settings save?
I'm not 100% sure, once the app re-connects it may go to your previous settings, opening those options in the app would tell you.

Like you I initially bought bimmerlink for the ASD off & exhaust flap, once I discovered you have to re-connect every time I went the code off/pull fuse route. Still use bimmerlink when I'm out on spirited country drives for the dashboard to monitor IAT/coolant etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 02:31 AM   #7
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
I set ASD off and some other things (rear daytime lights, fuel warning only <50 kms of range) with Bimmerlink and the settings keep saved without the device connected.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 02:40 AM   #8
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
I set ASD off and some other things (rear daytime lights, fuel warning only <50 kms of range) with Bimmerlink and the settings keep saved without the device connected.
Sure you don't mean Bimmercode? Unless there have been very recent changes to Bimmerlink it can't change things like daytime running lights/fuel warning.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 03:58 AM   #9
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Sure you don't mean Bimmercode? Unless there have been very recent changes to Bimmerlink it can't change things like daytime running lights/fuel warning.
Yes you're right it was Bimmercode, my mistake.
Appreciate 0