03-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #23
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post
I've had a very good experience running Pagid Yellows over the years on different vehicles. Everyone's uses and priorities will be different, but for my purposes the RSL29 is the best track pad I have ever used. On the track it strikes a great balance between initial bite, modulation, fade resistance and rotor wear. It is also the most street friendly track pad I've used. Good cold bite, relatively quiet and easy on the rotors. Enough so that I don't even bother switching back and forth between other pads. However, my car is not a daily driver and I try to get to the track at least once a month.

I have 3 track days (2 @ Sebring and 1 @ Homestead) and around 2000 total miles with the RSL29s in my M2C so far and they have been holding up well.

The 2NH brakes are probably the best factory brakes I've ever had on track. In spite of all the complaints you see on these forums about them, when properly setup they are quite impressive.

The pads for these calipers are simply massive both in terms of area and volume. The front RSL29s have a pad thickness of 19.5 mm when new and there was still room for a 1 mm titanium shim when installed. The rear pad thickness is 18 mm when new and also had room for a 1 mm shim.

Combined with stainless steel brake lines and Castrol SRF fluid these brakes have been very confidence inspiring.

My only real complaint (and it is very minor) in this application is a faint click that can be heard when first applying the brakes in the opposite direction from which you had previously been moving suggesting that the Pagid pads fit just a little bit loose in the calipers. However, this is a very common occurrence with aftermarket pads that I've experienced many times over the years. It might also just be the titanium shims.

I've never used Ferodo DS1.11s so I can't make any comparison there. I did try the DS2500s many years ago as they were marketed as a dual purpose pad. As you probably know, they're not suitable for the track.

I've read a lot of good things about the new DS3.12s and they are available in M2C sizes. I am very tempted to try them next.
Very good summary. I use RSL29 pads, but since the M2 is my daily, I swap the pads each time (super easy on the OG M2). The only thing I could possibly add to VTBoss302's summary is that on the street, they squeal a lot. I've kept them on between events that were only a couple weeks apart, and the squealing draws attention in traffic. People look over expecting to see a school bus, but instead see a glistening blue M2. Then they wonder: what horrors has that guy done to that beautiful car? He should really get the brakes checked.
      03-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #24
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post
I've had a very good experience running Pagid Yellows over the years on different vehicles. Everyone's uses and priorities will be different, but for my purposes the RSL29 is the best track pad I have ever used. On the track it strikes a great balance between initial bite, modulation, fade resistance and rotor wear. It is also the most street friendly track pad I've used. Good cold bite, relatively quiet and easy on the rotors. Enough so that I don't even bother switching back and forth between other pads. However, my car is not a daily driver and I try to get to the track at least once a month.

I have 3 track days (2 @ Sebring and 1 @ Homestead) and around 2000 total miles with the RSL29s in my M2C so far and they have been holding up well.

The 2NH brakes are probably the best factory brakes I've ever had on track. In spite of all the complaints you see on these forums about them, when properly setup they are quite impressive.

The pads for these calipers are simply massive both in terms of area and volume. The front RSL29s have a pad thickness of 19.5 mm when new and there was still room for a 1 mm titanium shim when installed. The rear pad thickness is 18 mm when new and also had room for a 1 mm shim.

Combined with stainless steel brake lines and Castrol SRF fluid these brakes have been very confidence inspiring.

My only real complaint (and it is very minor) in this application is a faint click that can be heard when first applying the brakes in the opposite direction from which you had previously been moving suggesting that the Pagid pads fit just a little bit loose in the calipers. However, this is a very common occurrence with aftermarket pads that I've experienced many times over the years. It might also just be the titanium shims.

I've never used Ferodo DS1.11s so I can't make any comparison there. I did try the DS2500s many years ago as they were marketed as a dual purpose pad. As you probably know, they're not suitable for the track.

I've read a lot of good things about the new DS3.12s and they are available in M2C sizes. I am very tempted to try them next.
Very good summary. I use RSL29 pads, but since the M2 is my daily, I swap the pads each time (super easy on the OG M2). The only thing I could possibly add to VTBoss302's summary is that on the street, they squeal a lot. I've kept them on between events that were only a couple weeks apart, and the squealing draws attention in traffic. People look over expecting to see a school bus, but instead see a glistening blue M2. Then they wonder: what horrors has that guy done to that beautiful car? He should really get the brakes checked.
I've had the same experience on my 18.
Appreciate 0