BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Charcoal Filters

04-14-2020, 07:07 PM   #23
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Stupid question here, but does anyone know how to properly remove the compression rivets (picture attached). I used a trim removal tool but can't seem to get it to budge. It looks different on my M2C than it does in the F80 write up, too.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 07:50 PM   #24
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
Stupid question here, but does anyone know how to properly remove the compression rivets (picture attached). I used a trim removal tool but can't seem to get it to budge. It looks different on my M2C than it does in the F80 write up, too.

Thanks.
Had the same issue with my 2020 M2C. It took awhile to realize how much effort and force is needed to pull the pin up. Don't be afraid to break it, as replacement is pennies and if you cant get it out, you can drill the pin out. I bent and warped my first pin head so badly that I couldn't pull the pin out. Asked my BMW master tech friend what to do, simply drilled the pin "out" with a tiny drill bit. Lesson learned from the first.... get under the pin head with your tool and pry with force the first time. Once the pin lifts once, it's easier to do again at a later time.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #25
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
Had the same issue with my 2020 M2C. It took awhile to realize how much effort and force is needed to pull the pin up. Don't be afraid to break it, as replacement is pennies and if you cant get it out, you can drill the pin out. I bent and warped my first pin head so badly that I couldn't pull the pin out. Asked my BMW master tech friend what to do, simply drilled the pin "out" with a tiny drill bit. Lesson learned from the first.... get under the pin head with your tool and pry with force the first time. Once the pin lifts once, it's easier to do again at a later time.
Thank you.

I'm having a hard time even getting under the flat rubber part around the pin. There's no clearance.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 03:18 AM   #26
SFM2C6MT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition, HS6MT

After two days of looking at overpriced intakes, I ordered my BMC filters last night. Looking forward to hearing a bit more boost and ditching those charcoal filters. 🥃
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2020, 04:12 AM   #27
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

Thanks.
Use a pry tool to pull up the small circle pin in the center first. Once that is out, you can remove the bigger circle with a pry tool really easily. I bought an assorted pry tool set from a local hardware store and found an angled pry tool that really works well with removing both parts of that compression rivet.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #28
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

So removed the charcoal filters yesterday, just for fun to pass the time. As for increase in sound, no discernible difference here. Sounded and felt just like stock.

In fairness, it does need to compete with the Remus Race exhaust which for any intake, is probably going to be a losing proposition.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 01:01 PM   #29
AZ-Wildcat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW HS M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFM2C6MT View Post
After two days of looking at overpriced intakes, I ordered my BMC filters last night. Looking forward to hearing a bit more boost and ditching those charcoal filters. 🥃
Nice! Went for a drive with my neighbor who has an M4, he's doing the same after I showed him what I did. Going to have an install happy hour in our garage when they arrive. Alices soon!
Appreciate 1
SFM2C6MT175.00
      04-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #30
aldenaldenalden
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Quote:
Thank you.

I'm having a hard time even getting under the flat rubber part around the pin. There's no clearance.
My trim removal tool couldn't get enough leverage to remove it, so I used a Phillips head to lift it up a bit. When there was enough clearance, I used a pair of needle nose pliers to pull it out the rest of the way. Came out very easy.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #31
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Pilot View Post
Bolts for the CF strut brace need to be torqued.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ody/1VnXmkTyGM
So does an oil drain plug. Been working on cars for 25 years never torqued a drain plug. If you have common sense you don't need a torque wrench for the CF brace IMO. Rebuilding an engine torque wrench is definitely needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #32
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
So does an oil drain plug. Been working on cars for 25 years never torqued a drain plug. If you have common sense you don't need a torque wrench for the CF brace IMO. Rebuilding an engine torque wrench is definitely needed.
I think you should remember that there are many people on this forum who attempt to do this kind of easy DIY jobs with minimal or maybe even no experience. Saying "no torque wrench is needed" can be misleading. Some people might go well beyond the spec by torquing the hell out of those bolts while some people may even attempt hand tightening. Yes, I agree it's common sense but believe me these things happen a lot more often than you'd think. I have been working on my cars for many years too and think going by the book for small stuff like this never hurts in my opinion. Not saying you are doing it wrong but I think it's a good practice
Appreciate 0