Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by papibigred View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Oh my god. I finally agree with you on something.
I did it today. Painted the muffler along with a couple other tweaks. I just couldn’t not take the opportunity to do it while I had it on jacks. Other stuff was key hole delete, rear reflector delete (gloss honeycomb), ceramic coated wheels and calipers, and Sto N Sho front plate holder.
Painting the muffler is the first thing I'm going to do when she arrives. I also have been strongly considering a rear badge delete. Any thoughts on that?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 06:34 PM   #1432
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Are you SURE you want to paint that muffler?

I was aware, albeit somewhat ambivalent to all the group think regarding the muffler prior to taking ownership. After taking ownership I have to admit I have not only come to accept the muffler, it is actually one of my favorite features.
Couldn't agree more.

Different strokes for different folks. I think the stock muffler overhang is a huge visual appeal for me on this car. When painted black, it becomes invisible and loses character IMO, making the rear end less unique and almost too plain. I personally love the stock muffler look on this car the same way I loved it on my e46 M3. It's a BMW ///M trademark that you won't find on any other car.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2529.50
Davil6561.50
      08-22-2020, 09:24 PM   #1433
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
Quote:
Are you SURE you want to paint that muffler?

I was aware, albeit somewhat ambivalent to all the group think regarding the muffler prior to taking ownership. After taking ownership I have to admit I have not only come to accept the muffler, it is actually one of my favorite features.
Couldn't agree more.

Different strokes for different folks. I think the stock muffler overhang is a huge visual appeal for me on this car. When painted black, it becomes invisible and loses character IMO, making the rear end less unique and almost too plain. I personally love the stock muffler look on this car the same way I loved it on my e46 M3. It's a BMW ///M trademark that you won't find on any other car.
What ?? Are you guys nuts to like the ugly stock muffler hanging , looks ugly imo
      08-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #1434
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
What ?? Are you guys nuts to like the ugly stock muffler hanging , looks ugly imo
Boss

Your opinion is perfectly valid . . . even if I do not share it.

I certainly do not think your are nuts for having such opinion.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
j23654.50
      08-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #1435
papibigred
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 BMW, M2C; ‘18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavallone View Post
Painting the muffler is the first thing I'm going to do when she arrives. I also have been strongly considering a rear badge delete. Any thoughts on that?
Mav - When I looked at the rear end of the car w HS, I think it looks HUGE. That’s part of why I didn’t like the muffler overhang because it was just “more silver” on a huge rear. The painted muffler trims it up a little bit, and in my humble opinion the rear badge gives you something to draw your eyes to.

Similarly, I am thinking about a CF diffuser and/or spoiler to create some contrast. Thinking...

AVM & J23 - Totally get teh character thing. I love unique, even fugly things, I will let you know if I regret my decision at any point
Appreciate 2
Mavallone164.50
///AVM2529.50
      08-23-2020, 07:50 AM   #1436
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
It is touchscreen.
It's touchscreen but in the worst of ways... I use carplay because I think it's great with Waze / spotify... but if you skip those apps its somewhat useless.

Why in the world would you create a touchscreen that is?

A) so far away from the driver?
B) has such tiny icons in the carplay interface that is useless?

If you ask me, I think the touchscreen in the way BMW designed it in Idrive6 is more of a driving hazard than anything...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 08:38 AM   #1437
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papibigred View Post
. . . AVM & J23 - Totally get teh character thing. I love unique, even fugly things, I will let you know if I regret my decision at any point
Papi

'Just wanting to paint it' is good enough for me.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #1438
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
It is touchscreen.
It's touchscreen but in the worst of ways... I use carplay because I think it's great with Waze / spotify... but if you skip those apps its somewhat useless.

If you ask me, I think the touchscreen in the way BMW designed it in Idrive6 is more of a driving hazard than anything...
BMW only recently implemented touchscreen into their infotainment interface, specifically to keep up with the Joneses.

They know that they would get crucified in the automotive presses, if they were the only major manufacture that forgone the obligatory pseudo iPad, into the dashboard. Hence the reason they gave the people what they want but not necessarily what they actually need.

BMW's iDrive touch-knob was ahead of its time, with a physical controller, users can use muscle memory to use the controller without every taking their eyes of the road. This makes using them far more intuitive, far less frustrating and simply safer.

Touchscreens are great nowadays, with rapid response and slick, intuitive graphics. But it doesn't matter how good the touchscreen is, you still must avert your eyes from the road, while driving a massively heavy death machine at high speeds, to use it. So it becomes more distracting and dangerous than anything else.

Now, every premium automaker has to compete with the iPhone-minded era of consumers, which means succumbing to a touchscreen and in BMW's case, a redundant iDrive rotary controller also.

IMHO, BMW's touchscreen interface feels like an afterthought; something that was just throw into the mix, in order to appease a specific demographic.

Regardless, I commend BMW for the fact that they keep both the iDrive touch knob & touchscreen, allowing the users to alternate and control the system in multiple different ways, at will, rendering its newest, dual-entry iDrive MMI, simply the best system on the market.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10187.50
      08-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #1439
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It is touchscreen.

BMW only recently implemented touchscreen into their infotainment interface, specifically to keep up with the Joneses.

They know that they would get crucified in the automotive presses, if they were the only major manufacture that forgone the obligatory pseudo iPad, into the dashboard. Hence the reason they gave the people what they want but not necessarily what they actually need.

BMW's iDrive touch-knob was ahead of its time, with a physical controller, users can use muscle memory to use the controller without every taking their eyes of the road. This makes using them far more intuitive, far less frustrating and simply safer.

Touchscreens are great nowadays, with rapid response and slick, intuitive graphics. But it doesn't matter how good the touchscreen is, you still must avert your eyes from the road, while driving a massively heavy death machine at high speeds, to use it. So it becomes more distracting and dangerous than anything else.

Now, every premium automaker has to compete with the iPhone-minded era of consumers, which means succumbing to a touchscreen and in BMW's case, a redundant iDrive rotary controller also.

BMW's touchscreen interface feel like an afterthought; something that was just throw into the mixed, in order to appease a specific demographic.

Regardless, I commend BMW for the fact that they keep both the iDrive knob & touchscreen, allowing the users to alternate and control the system in multiple different ways, at will, rendering the its newest iDrive duel-purpose system, simply the best system on the market.
I think the idrive controller is the way to go but unfortunately carplay needs a touch interface... not sure how BMW can fix this... unless the future generations move the screen way forward.... also the Audi dual screen setup while it may feel goofy is far optimal for touch.
      08-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #1440
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Regardless, I commend BMW for the fact that they keep both the iDrive touch knob & touchscreen, allowing the users to alternate and control the system in multiple different ways, at will, rendering its newest, dual-entry iDrive MMI, simply the best system on the market.
Poochie and ASAP

So I am the first to admit I do not use 99% of the computer features available. . . I almost never even listen to the stereo, as I would rather listen to S55.

With that admittance, I do use Apple CarPlay for its navigation and phone functions.

With regard to each of your comments, I am a bit confused because (1) I always use the 'knob controller' in the middle console and (2) I can control Apple CarPlay using it. So, not clear to me what I am doing differently that allows me to use the knob controller to control Apple CarPlay . . . as ASAP indicates his Apple CarPlay use requires touch screen interaction?? Am I misunderstanding something here?

Getting to the heart of my ignorance when it comes to the iDrive system, I searched and could not find these Waze or Spotify apps your guys reference? Where are they? . . . once you tell me, be prepared for 'how do I use them?'

//AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #1441
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Boss

Your opinion is perfectly valid . . . even if I do not share it.

I certainly do not think your are nuts for having such opinion.

///AVM
Sorry wrong choice of words
      08-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #1442
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i 2019 X5 2021 M2C

BMW did recently update the website, and "active blind spot monitoring" has been removed from the list of features.
Appreciate 2
boss2k1107.50
      08-23-2020, 11:25 AM   #1443
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDONE View Post
BMW did recently update the website, and "active blind spot monitoring" has been removed from the list of features.
Seems we are keeping them more informed than the converse.

This sub-forum is a great source of information.

///AVM
Appreciate 2
ADDONE230.00
      08-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #1444
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDONE View Post
I drove a chevy SUV rental over this weekend and it had BSM where the mirror indicates any car in your blind spot and no steering shaking and I liked the feature.
      08-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #1445
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I drove a chevy SUV rental over this weekend and it had BSM where the mirror indicates any car in your blind spot and no steering shaking and I liked the feature.
Yep, same in my 718 CGTS . . . nobody every sneaks up on you, but you are not 'rattled' to find out when they do.

Very nice, simple and effective feature. Guess something else to look forward to in the G87 M2C.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #1446
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Poochie and ASAP

So I am the first to admit I do not use 99% of the computer features available. . . I almost never even listen to the stereo, as I would rather listen to S55.

With that admittance, I do use Apple CarPlay for its navigation and phone functions.

With regard to each of your comments, I am a bit confused because (1) I always use the 'knob controller' in the middle console and (2) I can control Apple CarPlay using it. So, not clear to me what I am doing differently that allows me to use the knob controller to control Apple CarPlay . . . as ASAP indicates his Apple CarPlay use requires touch screen interaction?? Am I misunderstanding something here?

Getting to the heart of my ignorance when it comes to the iDrive system, I searched and could not find these Waze or Spotify apps your guys reference? Where are they? . . . once you tell me, be prepared for 'how do I use them?'

//AVM
You download the appa on your phone...

As far as the carplay interface, yes it can be controlled by both the idrive controller and by the touchscreen... neither one works particularly well for the carplay interface.

The idrive controller is optimized for the bmw interface and forces you to rotate way too much in the carplay view to select anything... the touchscreen on the other hand doesnt work too well w the carplay because the buttons are waaay too small.
      08-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #1447
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You download the appa on your phone...

As far as the carplay interface, yes it can be controlled by both the idrive controller and by the touchscreen... neither one works particularly well for the carplay interface.

The idrive controller is optimized for the bmw interface and forces you to rotate way too much in the carplay view to select anything... the touchscreen on the other hand doesnt work too well w the carplay because the buttons are waaay too small.
I hear you ASAP . . . it is likely I interact with the screen much less than most so I do not appreciate certain intricacies that you and others reference?

JC texted me and got me hooked up with Waze. Not sure how I am going to get on with the app, but will tinker with it here and there. Probably best suited for me while on longer highway trips, if anything.

I did not know Spotify is a music app until JC informed me, and I definitely do not have any use for that. I have thousands of songs on my iPhone, Sirius . . . and rarely ever listen to music . . . except that of the S55 singing to me.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #1448
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

OK gang, not sure I have ever had anything truly negative to say about the M2C to this point.

Well, nothing significantly negative. The hard-to-reach seat belt and unusable wireless phone charger are just little things that have never caused me any true angst.

Although I wish peak power occurred higher in the rev band, not anything that routinely bothers me . . . just depends on the day and my mood.

What I am going to do here is double down on what Boone recently stated . . . the M2C is 'under tired.' The nannies absolutely suck ass in full traction control. Easy enough, I just always drive in MDM mode. . . where there is too much slip and not enough grip. So, as per Boone and others, the sweat spot comes with better tires.

I am not sure if PS4S is the answer alone, or it requires more rubber to boot . . . 255/275? Does not matter, as I think the 255/275 PS4S tires easily fit the 788M wheels and what I will shoot for when swapping out.

Just not in me to waste a completely good set of PSS tires, even if they are not as effective as I wish they were. So I am stuck with the PSS tires until I can spin the tread off of them. I had the tires smoking today, literally. Should not be so easy to smoke them when it is the heart of August and temperature 90 degrees outside. I mean, they were fully heated and still just won't bite the road.

OK, that is my beef . . . not a problem with the beast, per se. Just the stock tires that came with it.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 03:28 PM   #1449
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Paraphrasing Denzel, 'I'm going to explain it to you like you're a six year old,'

You can operate the iDrive commands and input, via the touch-sensitive controller, which gives you the option to write letters with your finger directly on the iDrive knob, rather than having to scroll for letter input. You can use this input method anywhere the system typically uses a speller wheel, from navigation to multimedia search, your contacts list and phone numbers.

In addition to the iDrive touch controller, BMW has showed its commitment to redundancy, by also implemented a touch-screen based interface, for the same data or command inputs.

Both works equally as great but since Apple CarPlay is generic in design and build to operate in many other model of vehicles, of which it's software is not bespoke to BMW's iDrive rotary knob, the touch-screen based inputs are more intuitive for this specific function.

The merits touchscreens is more skewed towards CarPlay, where as the iDrive rotary knob more caters to native iDrive interface, yet, in practice, you have the option to alternate between both, if one chooses.

For instance, CarPlay's operation, at times, require pinch and zoom on a navigation map, to help find a road, which is better executed and done intuitively with a touchscreen.

BMW's iDrive allows users to pinch and zoom also but then control the rest of the system with the rotary dial. So, you see in this situation where a touch-screen based system would be more beneficial, as oppose to iDrive knob only.

Apple CarPlay is also much easier to use with a touchscreen. BMW allows Apple CarPlay to be controlled by either touch screen or physical rotary knob. So it doesn't matter which you like more, BMW's iDrive allows for it, allowing the operator to choose which one works better for their specific task.

Appreciate 1
ADDONE230.00
      08-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #1450
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Paraphrasing Denzel, 'I'm going to explain it to you like you're a six year old'
Poochie

No worries. I never sense you are 'talking down' by 'dumbing it down.'

I do what you said in CarPlay, which is using the turn knob to scroll around and select. Works fine for my needs.

That said, more advanced users - meaning almost everyone but me - probably engage and want a lot more out of the iDrive than I require. So, I understand why having 'better' touchscreen control could be desirable.

///AVM

P.S. I think I would absolutely despise something like the Tesla, where EVERYTHING is on basically a big iPad. I know how to use an iPad just fine, but I simply like reaching out and touching a 'knob' to adjust temperature, volume, etc. I do not like navigating a screen while driving. Similarly, I do not require any fancy features while driving. . . I might be very alone in these regards?

Last edited by ///AVM; 08-23-2020 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
NathObeaN1309.00
      08-24-2020, 01:41 AM   #1451
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Poochie

I do what you said in CarPlay, which is using the turn knob to scroll around and select. Works fine for my needs.

That said, more advanced users - meaning almost everyone but me - probably engage and want a lot more out of the iDrive than I require. So, I understand why having 'better' touchscreen control could be desirable.

///AVM

P.S. I think I would absolutely despise something like the Tesla, where EVERYTHING is on basically a big iPad. I know how to use an iPad just fine, but I simply like reaching out and touching a 'knob' to adjust temperature, volume, etc. I do not like navigating a screen while driving. Similarly, I do not require any fancy features while driving. . . I might be very alone in these regards?
The tesla model is extremely dangerous and reckless IMO. Hope BMW never goes that route. Give me 100 physics buttons a la Porsche please.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2529.50
      08-24-2020, 03:41 AM   #1452
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Quote:
Paraphrasing Denzel, 'I'm going to explain it to you like you're a six year old'
Poochie

///AVM

Not alone. I remember being happy my OG LCI had the new touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and thought I would use it. Nope. I use CarPlay all the time but I never, ever use the touchscreen. It's more difficult to use (and dangerous I think) while driving and you end up with fingerprints everywhere. Much prefer to navigate using the wheel/buttons.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2529.50
Davil6561.50