BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M240i in Colombia

04-06-2023, 08:46 AM   #1
I_squared_r
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 118i & 2020 RAM 1500

M240i in Colombia

I've been living in Medellin, Colombia for 3 months now and I'm looking at getting something nice here. I was looking at the BMW M240i and Ford Mustang GT. I was surprised the M240i is faster. The BMW is a little cheaper so that's nice. Also the Mustang is rare here (I think they had to be imported) so there's only a few for sale. BMW probably handles better? There's nice mountain roads here.

I'm new to BMW's and researching now. I found this 1 with 10k miles ($30,500)

https://carro.mercadolibre.com.co/MC...d-97aa8a5a7c25

But I saw the newer ones (2019+ ???) have improved technology in the instrument cluster, safety features, etc. Is it worth it to find a 2019+ over a 2017? The instrument cluster on the 2017 looks dated. I'm picky about that kind of stuff, I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie back in the states and the technology is 10/10. I feel like I'm stepping back in time with the 2017 m240i. I would love the 2023 M240i, but it's not an option that I get hit with the depreciation because I will sell the car in a year or 2. I'm not sure, I just kind of moved here without a plan lol
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 12:25 PM   #2
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

the B58 is a beast of an engine in the m240. it will handle a bit better than the mustang but the steering in the m240 isn't great, mustang probably beats it there. also depends if you want a naturally aspirated engine or turbo. I personallly like the older more analogue gauge clusters, the refresh m240 was just basically a new digital cluster and tail lights I believe, the newer gauge looks pretty cool but scratches easily. I would just go with what you prefer driving.
Appreciate 1
BadgerDog191.00
      04-06-2023, 01:22 PM   #3
BadgerDog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.87]
Personally Id worry more about the driving experience than the tech, but thats just me. If it matters to you, you can retrofit the new gauge cluster into an older 2 series pretty easily. Its all over this forum how to do it. Obv theres parts cost involved. IMHO screens date themselves very quickly. Gauges are timeless.

As already said the differences arent that significant outside of the gauge cluster. A few little things but nothing major.

Other than that, what BallHog said. Try em both, pick the one you personally love. Youre going to get a very understandable BMW bias here. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 07:30 PM   #4
I_squared_r
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerDog View Post
Personally Id worry more about the driving experience than the tech, but thats just me. If it matters to you, you can retrofit the new gauge cluster into an older 2 series pretty easily. Its all over this forum how to do it. Obv theres parts cost involved. IMHO screens date themselves very quickly. Gauges are timeless.

As already said the differences arent that significant outside of the gauge cluster. A few little things but nothing major.

Other than that, what BallHog said. Try em both, pick the one you personally love. Youre going to get a very understandable BMW bias here. ;-)
I saw that. There is a 2017 for sale here with the new gauge cluster and larger screen. I drove some 3 series back in 2014 so I have an idea how the M240i drives. Probably similar? I need to go to the dealers and see if I can drive 1. I don't have my ID here yet so I don't know how they'd feel about a foreigner with only a passport. This has ended up being an interesting "vacation" that I never left lol
Appreciate 1
BadgerDog191.00
      04-06-2023, 09:22 PM   #5
BadgerDog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_squared_r View Post
I saw that. There is a 2017 for sale here with the new gauge cluster and larger screen. I drove some 3 series back in 2014 so I have an idea how the M240i drives. Probably similar? I need to go to the dealers and see if I can drive 1. I don't have my ID here yet so I don't know how they'd feel about a foreigner with only a passport. This has ended up being an interesting "vacation" that I never left lol
Hey it sounds like you're living an exciting life and that's awesome!

I couldn't tell you how a 3 series might differ, unfortunately. My bmw experience is limited to an older M3 (the 2-door coupe with naturally aspirated V8 timeframe, so very different), a z4, and my m2.

Good luck figuring out the id aspect. I mean it can't hurt to call up the dealership and ask! If they know you're a serious buyer they may be more willing to go out with you, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 02:29 PM   #6
I_squared_r
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerDog View Post
Hey it sounds like you're living an exciting life and that's awesome!

I couldn't tell you how a 3 series might differ, unfortunately. My bmw experience is limited to an older M3 (the 2-door coupe with naturally aspirated V8 timeframe, so very different), a z4, and my m2.

Good luck figuring out the id aspect. I mean it can't hurt to call up the dealership and ask! If they know you're a serious buyer they may be more willing to go out with you, etc.
The M240i looks fun to have here. I recommend to start the video at 4:00 The video below is a road here in the city called Avenida Las Palmas. It's a long curvy mountain road that leads out of the city (the city is in a large valley) with beautiful views of the city. You can occasionally see parking lots on the right side, these are spots to enjoy the views of the city "miradores". I definitely don't want to buy this guy's car in the used market lol

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 02:58 PM   #7
BadgerDog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_squared_r View Post
The M240i looks fun to have here. I recommend to start the video at 4:00 The video below is a road here in the city called Avenida Las Palmas. It's a long curvy mountain road that leads out of the city (the city is in a large valley) with beautiful views of the city. You can occasionally see parking lots on the right side, these are spots to enjoy the views of the city "miradores". I definitely don't want to buy this guy's car in the used market lol

https://youtu.be/_kb2Qb0B_9Y?t=241
Haha yeah maybe avoid that car. But also yeah that looks like a great road. That's awesome, my friend. If you do find your perfect car let us know. More 2 series family. ;⁠-⁠)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 07:38 AM   #8
I_squared_r
Colombia
Rep

I've been considering the M235i because there's not many options here and I've seen some good prices on them. I found this 1 not too far away, but it's heavily modified.. For whatever reason all the M235 and m240 here in Colombia only have cloth seats and the small screen and this guy changed them. Definitely I like that

$28k 2015 bmw m235i, 33k miles
It has stage 2, full exhaust, downpipe, android screen, m performance brakes, carbon fiber bits inside and outside, oz wheels, upgraded intercooler, aluminum radiator
https://articulo.tucarro.com.co/MCO-...7-cd6cf1849ecf

How do you feel about modified cars like this? It's probably beat on. There's services here that are intermediates on the transaction, they hold my money while reviewing the car and release the funds to the seller once the transaction is completed.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 03:01 PM   #9
BadgerDog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.87]
Car looks pretty great! Bit heavy handed with the m badging on a non m car but whatever. I don't know if I'd ASSUME that modded equals beat on. Could be someone who just loves their car and put a lot of work into it.

Definitely go through the intermediary though if you can. Sounds like a solid plan. No clue if the price is great or terrible though so I can't help you there.
Appreciate 0