BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Anyone Bought the AutoTecknic Version III M-Inspired Complete Mirror Housing Kit?

03-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
MAMBA_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 SPY G80 M3C Xdrive

Anyone Bought the AutoTecknic Version III M-Inspired Complete Mirror Housing Kit?

All,

Considering getting these. Has anyone bought installed these? Worth the money? how is fitment? Can you share pics if you have?

Can't justify $1k+ for OEM M2C mirrors, and these seem like they will look the most "legit" vs those older version caps that just replace the back.

Any insight/pics appreciated.

https://autotecknic.com/products/aut...14062868693034
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Looks just like the ones that are made by AutoID. Maybe they have a partnership or something
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I bought their version 2 dry carbon caps. They look great and are quite a bit cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
M2510
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I bought these about a month ago and just installed them yesterday. Ordered them painted BSM like the car. From what I can tell they look just like the set from Autoid.

AutoTechnic were great to deal with. I had them sent to Hotel while on Vacation in the States. Arrived when expected, in a box with lots of bubble wrap around each piece and paint looks good. Lots of good info for installation on another thread about units from Autoid.

One additional thing I did to get the blinker lined up 100% is to add a plastic washer in between the metal base and outside wing bezel/frame on the screw that is farthest away from the window. Before I did that the blinker extended past the frame. Looks like it does that on Autoid product in many pics I have seen online. First one took about an hour being extra cautious. Second one 20 minutes. No wind noise.

I'm Happy with them. Definitely a cheaper option than OEM M2 comp mirrors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
heavyD^23688.50
DMM26.00
      03-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
MAMBA_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 SPY G80 M3C Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2510 View Post
I bought these about a month ago and just installed them yesterday. Ordered them painted BSM like the car. From what I can tell they look just like the set from Autoid.

AutoTechnic were great to deal with. I had them sent to Hotel while on Vacation in the States. Arrived when expected, in a box with lots of bubble wrap around each piece and paint looks good. Lots of good info for installation on another thread about units from Autoid.

One additional thing I did to get the blinker lined up 100% is to add a plastic washer in between the metal base and outside wing bezel/frame on the screw that is farthest away from the window. Before I did that the blinker extended past the frame. Looks like it does that on Autoid product in many pics I have seen online. First one took about an hour being extra cautious. Second one 20 minutes. No wind noise.

Thanks man, looks sick! I ordered them today, excited to install

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 12:20 AM   #6
M2510
Rep

Ooops. Minor edit to my last post.

The extra plastic washer I put in was between the blinker and the metal base, not between the metal base and the outside wing bezel/frame. Same screw farthest from the window. Just take your time lining up the two pieces(not the cap) until you are happy with the fit. You can always loosen the screws and adjust things till you get it right.

I found when everything is lined up properly, once the critical bottom tab on the cap is in place, the cap goes on really easily and everything snaps into place.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Ooops. Minor edit to my last post.

The extra plastic washer I put in was between the blinker and the metal base, not between the metal base and the outside wing bezel/frame. Same screw farthest from the window. Just take your time lining up the two pieces(not the cap) until you are happy with the fit. You can always loosen the screws and adjust things till you get it right.

I found when everything is lined up properly, once the critical bottom tab on the cap is in place, the cap goes on really easily and everything snaps into place.
I'm going to be installing mine in the next few weeks. Can you elaborate on the misalignment of the blinker? I assume the washer moves the edge of the blinker a little towards the front of the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
M2510
Rep

Exactly. I found without the washer the end of the blinker went past the wing frame. Putting the washer in lined things up nicely.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 09:33 PM   #9
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Yeah, these are identical to the AutoID ones. They must all share their information somehow, or maybe pay AutoID a percentage, who knows. I had them for a little while. They're the closest to the real thing and look nice. I have since switched to the full OEM M2C set, and need to sell my LBB Auto ID shells at some point.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #10
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

They are made in the same facility from our understanding.

We offer the Autotecknic ones however we paint all the mirror covers in-house at IND.

04-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
They are made in the same facility from our understanding.

We offer the Autotecknic ones however we paint all the mirror covers in-house at IND.
Hey IND, could you PM me how much shipped to 08094 in Alpine White please?
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 09:06 PM   #12
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

Anyone have instructions on how to replace the whole mirror housing?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 03:32 AM   #13
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Is there any significant difference between these and the basic mirror covers?

What are the price differences as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 02:16 PM   #14
Rykken
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2RAW View Post
Anyone have instructions on how to replace the whole mirror housing?
On youtube, this video is what I used. Hardest part was actually getting the little wires off of the mirrors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
Is there any significant difference between these and the basic mirror covers?

What are the price differences as well?
I initially bought 40 dollar mirror caps off of Amazon but they created a whistle at like 40mph due to poor fitment with the OEM mirror unit. I couldn't handle it so I returned after about a week.
I used the gloss black eBay mirror housings for mine and I'm sure they're comparable to the IND version, costed me only 120 bucks (offered and accepted). Fitment is much better and no wind noise/whistle anymore. Here's the link I used. https://www.ebay.com/itm/202468306572
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00