BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > My Brand New M2 Headaches (Follow Along)

06-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #23
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
How does that work then?

Xpel spend a small fortune plotting kits for high end cars. Why bother when you can let someone loose on your car with a roll and a craft knife! what could go wrong? oh yeh.. the above!
There are other brands besides XPEL. They are all good. It's like comparing a store bought shirt or suit to one that is custom measured and fitted. They are not the same.

Think about this for a moment. If I have a company and invest in plotting cars, then require potential installers to go to my training, then sell them product, plotters, etc. Can I grow my market through my large base of "certified" installers.

First they do not CUT the film. They score the film. Think drywall. When they can they lift the film away from the car then score it.

Second PPF is much thicker than vinyl. People should be more worried about cuts when wrapping a car than when installing PPF. Though in either case you want someone who knows what they are doing.

This is paraphrased, if you truly believe that the installer is not "cutting" on the film plotted or not your kidding yourself"

BTW, you're worried about a razor. I watched the guy use a blow torch to dry the water under the film on my car. I asked about heat guns and he explained why he didn't use them for this particular scenario. Think about the level of trust that required!

Last edited by omasou; 06-23-2019 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #24
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Here is an apples to apples comparison

M2 plotted.
M2C bulk custom cut.
  1. This is a rough cut but look at how he is holding the film away from the car and scoring the PPF. Also notice the roughed out holes at grill. At no point up to here has he cut "on the car"
  2. There is absolutely no way you will have a seem like this with a plot. He cut on the overlapped pieces on the shadow line. Compare this picture with the next one that's plotted. BTW, when you zoom in on the first picture that's water under the film not the seam.
  3. The rest of the pictures are of an XPEL install from a plotter. You decide. Yes, the car is dirty but that was on purpose so I could show seams.
Attached Images

Last edited by omasou; 06-23-2019 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #25
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Sorry to hear. Really sorry about the cut paint. So he was doing custom pieces cut against your paint? That takes a LOT of skill and is not very common any longer given the wide availability of computer-generated precut pieces.

GL, I hope it all gets resolved.
Custom install is the way to go, check out my video in post 14. Plotted pieces are inferior IMO. The amount of coverage of a preplotted piece is inferior and smaller to a custom piece. Also preplotted pieces have seams. I went to a small car show in Huntington Beach a few months ago and I saw another M2c there. His clear bra on the front bumper had an ugly seem on the front. It had two pieces on his front bumper instead of ONE. Custom piece does not have any seams.

People need to do their homework and go to a smaller shop to get their PPF installed and not a shop with lots of employees. Too many threads on this forum, suntek or xpel??? It does not matter what film, the person installing it matters waaaay more than the film used!!
Custom piece could have seams, so I would recommend everyone ask their installer where the seams will be if any, so expectations are set before the job starts. The m2c front bumper should be easier than the m2 bumper because no paint between the grilles anymore. I had custom done on my m2 and they did in two pieces so they wouldn't have to stretch I'm between the grill and I found that unacceptable so they had to redo it, which was a pain in the ass. The installer has good reviews so I just assumed no seams. Next time I'll ask what their plan is to make sure we're all on the same page.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #26
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

*PICTURES*

So I tried to take what pictures I could with an iPhone. At face value it looks bad, but what you can’t see is that the razor blade cuts were directly into the paint in many spots. The illustration shows the areas where clear bra was installed. Mind you, I told him I wanted the ENTIRE front end/mirrors, and this is what he randomly did.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:23 PM   #27
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldrops View Post
*PICTURES*

So I tried to take what pictures I could with an iPhone. At face value it looks bad, but what you can't see is that the razor blade cuts were directly into the paint in many spots. The illustration shows the areas where clear bra was installed. Mind you, I told him I wanted the ENTIRE front end/mirrors, and this is what he randomly did.
WT*. I don't even need to zoom in. Why in the world is there a vertical seam!

He should have used two pieces with a horizontal seam hidden. I'll send a picture later.

It shouldn't be this hard to find competent people.

I feel so bad for your experience.

Last edited by omasou; 06-25-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #28
twintiga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Wow that’s a terrible job. Sorry man hope it all works out for you in the end
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:40 PM   #29
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
*PICTURES*

So I tried to take what pictures I could with an iPhone. At face value it looks bad, but what you can’t see is that the razor blade cuts were directly into the paint in many spots. The illustration shows the areas where clear bra was installed. Mind you, I told him I wanted the ENTIRE front end/mirrors, and this is what he randomly did.
It's so bad is almost funny. Not sure I've ever seen worse. You need to be compensated, and get a professional to do it. This may be this person's first time, or they were high or drunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #30
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

BTW, you're worried about a razor. I watched the guy use a blow torch to dry the water under the film on my car. I asked about heat guns and he explained why he didn't use them for this particular scenario. Think about the level of trust that required!
Yeah man! my tint dude was using a butane torch on my tint too. He said people get really nervous from that and the water solution when applying tint. He's got his act together though, so I wasn't worried.

I pick up my car in a couple days from the PPF/ceramic place, so I hope it's dope and I don't have to create a thread like this too.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #31
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep

I’m sure anyone around the 805 area knows of the place. Sadly they have a good reputation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #32
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Quote:
There are other brands besides XPEL. They are all good. It's like comparing a store bought shirt or suit to one that is custom measured and fitted. They are not the same.

Think about this for a moment. If I have a company and invest in plotting cars, then require potential installers to go to my training, then sell them product, plotters, etc. Can I grow my market by through my large number of "certified" installers.

First they do not CUT the film. They score the film. Think drywall. When they can they lift the film away from the car then score it.

Second PPF is much thicker than vinyl. People should be more worried about cuts when wrapping a car than when installing PPF. Though in either case you want someone who knows what they are doing.

This is paraphrased, if you truly believe that the installer is not "cutting" on the film plotted or not your kidding yourself"

This seems to be more common in the US than the UK. Nobody here bulk fits. There is one very big problem with a bulk fit in that as soon as you get a small graze on the film then the whole bulk piece has to be replaced instead of just one small part. The risk to damage to your paint is huge if they cut a bit too deep and the edges could be a right mess as they are not cut by the plotter.

Ive had 2 kits installed and never once did i look at it and think i wish i couldnt see the edges of the film. My M2c is going in tomorrow morning for a Full front end, rear quarter and splash protection on the rear bumper and lower sills.

I think you would need to be very picky to need a bulk install over a kit for looks purposes.
Appreciate 1
kfscoll208.50
      06-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #33
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I never really bust out the "OMG" but OMG that's fucking beyond awful. Those pictures clearly indicate this is someone's first time. Even for an amateur, that looks ridiculous. Let us know how this turns out.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #34
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
How does that work then?

Xpel spend a small fortune plotting kits for high end cars. Why bother when you can let someone loose on your car with a roll and a craft knife! what could go wrong? oh yeh.. the above!
Look at the OP pics. They used a plotted kit. So why they used a knife??

Every clear bra installed a knife is used even with plotted ones. Sometimes more sometimes less a knife is used. If an installer doesn’t know how to use a knife then he shouldn’t be in the business simple as that.

Last edited by chmura; 06-23-2019 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #35
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
*PICTURES*

This is what using a plotted ppf looks like. Didn’t even take out the emblems, kidney grilles etc. horrible with all the seams.

Good look. Get the bumper repainted and get a custom install.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #36
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Wow...just wow. No wonder you are ballistic. That is just terrible. Is the shop even trying to pretend this is even halfway acceptable?

In regards to the precut vs. custom, I understand this is a personal preference and different people have different expectations for their cars. My car is just going to to be a DD...I have other cars that are the garage queens. Thus for me, precut is fine as long as it is cut and installed perfectly. My guy at Protective Film Solutions cuts his own pieces using the Xpel plotter and a laser cutter and then installs them. He is actually removing OE piece front of the rear wheel arch and replacing it with a much larger piece. However, he already has made a template for this and thus it also will be cut ahead of time. No cutting on my car.

I know the "cutting" means scoring and I am positive that in the hands of a skilled installer, this is the best way to have a custom install. Not going to happen on my car.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)

Last edited by KevinM; 06-23-2019 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #37
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Wow...just wow. No wonder you are ballistic. That is just terrible. Is the shop even trying to pretend this is even halfway acceptable?

In regards to the precut vs. custom, I understand this is a personal preference and different people have different expectations for their cars. My car is just going to to be a DD...I have other cars that are the garage queens. Thus for me, precut is fine as long as it is cut and installed perfectly. My guy at Protective Film Solutions cuts his own pieces using the Xpel plotter and a laser cutter and then installs them. He is actually removing OE piece front of the rear wheel arch and replacing it with a much larger piece. However, he already has made a template for this and thus it also will be cut ahead of time. No cutting on my car.

I know the "cutting" means scoring and I am positive that in the hands the a skilled installer, this is the best way to have a custom install. Not going to happen on my car.
Shit happened to my car too, all the planning all the waiting then some fuck face messes up on a job they do all the time

Advice: put it behind you, whiskey helps...

thank god it's alpine white, the fixes on the paint will be tolerable, it'll be fine when it's corrected
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      06-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #38
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep

I’ve never been one to have much of a temper regardless. Luckily the installer has one of the highest volume dealership comporations in California to lose, so I’m sure he’ll “happily” pay for the repairs.

I’m still contemplating trying to get him to cover the cost of getting it done elsewhere >

I’m 23 and am still finding service providers attempting to get away with BSing young people!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #39
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
This is what using a plotted ppf looks like. Didn’t even take out the emblems, kidney grilles etc. horrible with all the seams.

Good look. Get the bumper repainted and get a custom install.
Why do you think this was plotted? The circle around the BMW emblem and the tow hook cover look pretty rough. Unless the guy tried to "touch it up" for some reason? Also the cut lines he drew are not part of the XPEL pattern.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:07 PM   #40
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

I've never seen a PFF that bad. It would be very difficult to not want to shove a Cattle-Prod up his ass and press the button several times. I would be livid.
Appreciate 1
gmazet308.00
      06-23-2019, 08:08 PM   #41
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
3. The rest of the pictures are of an XPEL install from a plotter. You decide. Yes, the car is dirty but that was on purpose so I could show seams.
Many of those cuts look like they were done by hand (and not well). I have a hard time believing they were done on a plotter.

I install PPF on my cars myself, and usually order pre-cut kits, but it depends on the car and how simple or complex the job is. I always order the kits with extra margin to allow wrapped edges and cut-in-place seams.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:30 PM   #42
finallyM3
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Acquaintance of mine had the similar scenario with a Camaro using the dealer installer for ppf. Cuts everywhere on the paint. They bought the car back and he got a new one. The ppf installer had to write this off on his insurance.

Sorry to hear about this,

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:53 PM   #43
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Many of those cuts look like they were done by hand (and not well). I have a hard time believing they were done on a plotter.

I install PPF on my cars myself, and usually order pre-cut kits, but it depends on the car and how simple or complex the job is. I always order the kits with extra margin to allow wrapped edges and cut-in-place seams.
The rough cuts are where he had to cut off dirty edges that had lifted. Sorry I should have called that out.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:25 AM   #44
TProfit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 competition

OMG, this is NOT what I needed to see the night before I literally drop my car off to my detailer for PPF/coating and tint.

So sorry for you man. My car still has all the shipping packing on it.... but the thought of someone ..... knife marks...... I'm so upset can't make sentence.