11-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #45
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
Has anyone driven both the US spec 240i and M2? Is the 240i indeed worse than the.M2?
Worse? It's better in some ways and worse in others.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 07:21 AM   #46
matto6
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Worse? It's better in some ways and worse in others.
Sorry I was talking specifically about steering.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 11:35 PM   #47
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
Personally I don't think the M2 is special enough if you've owned the same generation M235i.
Hmm, drove 7500mi on an '16 M235i over several months before I bought the M2. These are night and day machines.
Of course you'll say that!! It's same old story on these forums m235 vs m2 how it's "night and day" difference.

I'm in no way saying it's the same, the M2 is a better car. Those are facts. But night and day? Sorry that's just not true.

I'm also coming from a more logical owner's point of view. I don't see changing from the same generation golf gti to R as logical, which applies here (m235i to M2).

What bugs me is the interior is IDENTICAL (ok people will say blue stitchings or different dash background) that doesn't justify the change. At least if you jump from a 335 to M3 you get different seats (with nice leather), extended leather, completely different dash, it feels superior! Which the M2 doesn't, it feels exactly the same inside as a 220!

People will say it sounds much better, yes that's true, but quite a few forum members have aftermarket exhaust, and once again sorry but my M235i sounds on par if not better with an aftermarket exhaust.

There'll never be any doubt about how much better the M2 handling compared with the M235i, no aftermarket mods will change that. That is the ONLY massive difference. But this goes back to the point, it depends on the person's wants and needs. A person like myself live in the CBD, I grind daily traffic, probably going on a track day or cruise only once a year max, I won't be able to utilise the difference.

People will say I'm "defending" the M235i because I own one. Yes, and like I said before, if when I was looking at a car the M2 was available I would've got that one, but this is coming from a point of view of a person's logical reasoning not to upgrade to the M2 as it's not worth it and doesn't feel like a big enough change.

Unless you're on a 3 year lease, I actually find it stupid to switch, financially it doesn't make sense if you own the car outright. Just for example I live in Australia. I paid $80k for my M235i (2 years old), the M2 is around $105k. If brand new vs brand new? No brainer, I'd pay the extra $25k. But to sell my 2 year old car, I'd get 55-60k and folk out an extra 50k? That's just stupid in my opinion. I'd rather do the exact same thing but switch to a RS3 (not a better car) but at least it will feel different
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 03:31 AM   #48
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I haven't driven the M240i but I've driven the M235i at a bmw driving event and got to flog it pretty good.

I currently own a 17 M2.

The two cars are very different. The M235i was still pretty sporty, don't get me wrong, but when you get to the limits, you realize really quickly which car is better. Even if the M240i is faster in a straight line, the M2 sounds and looks WAY better doing it.

Trick diff. M4 suspension. M DCT instead of the ZF8. Wicked exhaust. (probably the best sounding I-6 exhaust BMW has ever done to be quite honest) 19" wheels on MPSS. Huge 15" rotors. Huge bulging fenders.

The M235i/M240i is a great car. Probably a better overall daily driver. But for someone who loves to drive, the M2 is miles ahead.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #49
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
Of course you'll say that!! It's same old story on these forums m235 vs m2 how it's "night and day" difference.

I'm in no way saying it's the same, the M2 is a better car. Those are facts. But night and day? Sorry that's just not true.

I'm also coming from a more logical owner's point of view. I don't see changing from the same generation golf gti to R as logical, which applies here (m235i to M2).

What bugs me is the interior is IDENTICAL (ok people will say blue stitchings or different dash background) that doesn't justify the change. At least if you jump from a 335 to M3 you get different seats (with nice leather), extended leather, completely different dash, it feels superior! Which the M2 doesn't, it feels exactly the same inside as a 220!

People will say it sounds much better, yes that's true, but quite a few forum members have aftermarket exhaust, and once again sorry but my M235i sounds on par if not better with an aftermarket exhaust.

There'll never be any doubt about how much better the M2 handling compared with the M235i, no aftermarket mods will change that. That is the ONLY massive difference. But this goes back to the point, it depends on the person's wants and needs. A person like myself live in the CBD, I grind daily traffic, probably going on a track day or cruise only once a year max, I won't be able to utilise the difference.

People will say I'm "defending" the M235i because I own one. Yes, and like I said before, if when I was looking at a car the M2 was available I would've got that one, but this is coming from a point of view of a person's logical reasoning not to upgrade to the M2 as it's not worth it and doesn't feel like a big enough change.

Unless you're on a 3 year lease, I actually find it stupid to switch, financially it doesn't make sense if you own the car outright. Just for example I live in Australia. I paid $80k for my M235i (2 years old), the M2 is around $105k. If brand new vs brand new? No brainer, I'd pay the extra $25k. But to sell my 2 year old car, I'd get 55-60k and folk out an extra 50k? That's just stupid in my opinion. I'd rather do the exact same thing but switch to a RS3 (not a better car) but at least it will feel different
Night and day from experience. To each their own.

BTW, while waiting on the M2, I arranged to buy a new M235i and turn it in a several months later as a trade without depreciation hit. Aus has way different pricing on its cars so I understand your defensiveness.
Appreciate 0