BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Awron Gauge... any alternatives??

04-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Awron Gauge... any alternatives??

Yes, I loveeee Awron Gauge. It carries all in the heaven information that I wish to check which is not offered by any BMW actually offers.

Fuel pressure, intake temp, exhaust gas temp, boost temp, tranny oil temp etc. Very handful of info especially when you are going above stage 2 tuning which i am planning.

Yeah great thing but expensive haha.

I believe BMW M performance drive analyzer does not offer any similar info to this. Do they at least any temp info of the car? (I have never used it so I dont know....)

Is there any other gadget that offers similar function to Awron but cheaper? LoL
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Yes, I loveeee Awron Gauge. It carries all in the heaven information that I wish to check which is not offered by any BMW actually offers.

Fuel pressure, intake temp, exhaust gas temp, boost temp, tranny oil temp etc. Very handful of info especially when you are going above stage 2 tuning which i am planning.

Yeah great thing but expensive haha.

I believe BMW M performance drive analyzer does not offer any similar info to this. Do they at least any temp info of the car? (I have never used it so I dont know....)

Is there any other gadget that offers similar function to Awron but cheaper? LoL
I got a good price for mine (10% discount) and they shipped it quick. If you have MPE you don't need the one that has flap control. Only crappy part is that the Canadian dollar is the EURO's bitch right now so FX will add another 60 cents to the dollar. You can also ask them to lower the declared value...some oversea vendors will do that.

Alternatively there is the P3 gauge. Smaller and goes int he vent by the door...has some but not all of the same functionality of the AWRON.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
I got a good price for mine (10% discount) and they shipped it quick. If you have MPE you don't need the one that has flap control. Only crappy part is that the Canadian dollar is the EURO's bitch right now so FX will add another 60 cents to the dollar. You can also ask them to lower the declared value...some oversea vendors will do that.

Alternatively there is the P3 gauge. Smaller and goes int he vent by the door...has some but not all of the same functionality of the AWRON.
Yeah... Seems like the price difference is there about 40 % between P3 and Awron. Hmmm.. Did you have it installed yet? Was it easy DIY?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Get an OBD dongle and use the Torque app?
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
this is what i use, doesnt look flashy but does the job
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #6
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Looks pretty good to me.
Guess i will have to loose Apple Carplay connection and bluetooth connection with car if I am using this?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Looks pretty good to me.
Guess i will have to loose Apple Carplay connection and bluetooth connection with car if I am using this?
Hmmm...I'm not an Apple guy, but I think your phone should be able to connect to multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time? Obv it would have to have different profiles for each device, like phone or media connections.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #8
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

no clue what apply carplay uses but you can buy a WIFI dongle (not bluetooth) and connect from your phone to the dongle via WIFI
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm...I'm not an Apple guy, but I think your phone should be able to connect to multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time? Obv it would have to have different profiles for each device, like phone or media connections.
Not a tech guy with phone and bluetooth. Thought I can only connect one device at once with bluetooth. I believe just conventional phone connection with car that allows you to use hands-free calls, uses bluetooth connect (also Apple Carplay does as well). If the dongle uses the connection with phone, just worried that I wont be able to receive calls while driving without touching the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2 View Post
no clue what apply carplay uses but you can buy a WIFI dongle (not bluetooth) and connect from your phone to the dongle via WIFI
Have you ever received a call while you are driving and using the dongle connected to your phone via iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Yeah... Seems like the price difference is there about 40 % between P3 and Awron. Hmmm.. Did you have it installed yet? Was it easy DIY?
Haven't installed it yet...waiting on some other parts to arrive and then will do it all at once.

ZPrime did the install very recently and said it wasn't too difficult once you have all the info...apparently they changed one of the connectors on the LCI model and the AWRON instructions don't account for this...thread is here.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1448161
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Not a tech guy with phone and bluetooth. Thought I can only connect one device at once with bluetooth. I believe just conventional phone connection with car that allows you to use hands-free calls, uses bluetooth connect (also Apple Carplay does as well). If the dongle uses the connection with phone, just worried that I wont be able to receive calls while driving without touching the phone.

Have you ever received a call while you are driving and using the dongle connected to your phone via iDrive?
not that i recall as i dont leave the dongle plugged in all the time..my phone is connected to the car via bluetooth and my dongle is connected to the phone via WIFI so it should be fine

edit: actually you know what i think your phone wont even get internet while its connected via wifi to the dongle since it might try and use the dongle wifi as an internet connection instead of the carriers signal, my WIFI dongle might not be a good solution for long term use...only good for periodic check ups
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #12
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2 View Post
not that i recall as i dont leave the dongle plugged in all the time..my phone is connected to the car via bluetooth and my dongle is connected to the phone via WIFI so it should be fine

edit: actually you know what i think your phone wont even get internet while its connected via wifi to the dongle since it might try and use the dongle wifi as an internet connection instead of the carriers signal, my WIFI dongle might not be a good solution for long term use...only good for periodic check ups
Yeah.. Periodic check up isnt my ultimate solution. I want constant monitoring of vehicle info so guess i am down to choises of Awron or P3.

Nothing should be in rush... as I am not planning the Stage 2 mod right now. Will be in my purchase list along with other FBO parts haha. Just extra money.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 05:56 AM   #13
Peter_VIE
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: M2

http://shop.ak-motion.com/de/modelle...splay-f22.html

works for M2
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2018, 12:06 AM   #14
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_VIE View Post
This is a touchscreen though, right?
Documentation in English is very hard to find. I saw this and considered it, but I really like the Awron being controlled by the cruise control buttons.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #15
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
iPhones for some reason cannot use a BT OBD adapter, just a WIFI one, which will then not allow the same device to connect to carplay(wifi, with a BT handshake). You would need another device to use both.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 03:40 AM   #16
RocketmanM2
RocketmanM2
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Performance Edition

Quote:
That's what I did.
Appreciate 0