BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > A Sunday drive

12-27-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-250, M2 CS

I had a chance to take the CS out today since it rained the past couple of days and cleared all the roads of salt. Was a bit cold but wow them heated seats were awesome!..

I actually got it on the highway and pushed her a bit ( under 5 k of course) but wow I can't say just how great this car is. Anyone still waiting will be VERY happy anyone else on the fence better grab it soon!!

It is very smooth on the highway and really just wants to go, it wants to cruise at about 90 and I really just wanted to drive it aimlessly all day. I can't wait for 1200 miles and the nicer weather!

A cool little feature I noticed for those waiting is the m2 emblem on the seats is lighted and looks really cool

Last edited by BMrDrmr; 12-28-2020 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 10
Bimmed Out1908.50
Tornado1M1211.00
CarJunkie2616.50
MomoM3987.00
Hedoniste3834.00
cncmastr1590.00
Davil6524.50
      12-29-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've had a chance to drive it around more and getting some miles on it! Car is such a blast to drive..

The exhaust sounds awesome (for me) seems to really come to life after 4k though I can't really mess around given break in restrictions. I actually had a chance to roll down the windows and it is good enough for now for sure.

The 6MT is so much fun to drive really but yeah if I was going to drive it daily I may be regretting that decision. Then again it's so much fun to drive it may push me to drive it daily so who knows.. I'll have to leave that up to people with both!

I REALLY can't wait for 1200 miles and nicer weather.. Going to be a fun summer for sure.

Appreciate 7
      12-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
That's all great to hear! I am hoping to keep mine completely stock, so I really hope I would like the exhaust note once it's broken in and I can really open it up.

Mine will be a daily driver (3 season) and even though I feel like a bit of a chump for not going with the 6MT, I am looking forward to the simplicity of daily driving with the DCT.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I've been in city driving with the 6mt and it's great. I think they really made every effort to make it enjoyable in all environments. Clutch is light enough to not be bothersome, Rev match makes it that much easier. The downside to Rev match is if your the type of person that likes to slow the car with gear changes, then this isn't for you. It makes the city driving experience easier in my opinion. I like sport plus for shifting, but started to test out sport. I like a touchy throttle. The gear shifts are good. It does have the rubbery feel at the end of the shift that gifs the illusion of being able to bend the shifter. I like the feel of a dead stop, but we'll see how things go with more time behind the wheel. Been a while since I've had a 3rd pedal.
Appreciate 2
BMrDrmr314.50
      12-30-2020, 06:30 AM   #5
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I've been in city driving with the 6mt and it's great. I think they really made every effort to make it enjoyable in all environments. Clutch is light enough to not be bothersome, Rev match makes it that much easier. The downside to Rev match is if your the type of person that likes to slow the car with gear changes, then this isn't for you. It makes the city driving experience easier in my opinion. I like sport plus for shifting, but started to test out sport. I like a touchy throttle. The gear shifts are good. It does have the rubbery feel at the end of the shift that gifs the illusion of being able to bend the shifter. I like the feel of a dead stop, but we'll see how things go with more time behind the wheel. Been a while since I've had a 3rd pedal.
Yeah I noticed these things as well but my last MT was an 88 mustang GT.. Rev match makes it a bit more difficult to tell when the clutch has actually engaged I noticed but I'm getting used to it pretty quickly. Once you realize the engine tools up when the shifters put into gear and not when the clutch is released you learn to quickly adjust your train of thought for shifting it seems.

Appreciate 2
Jimjamz4581.50
      12-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #6
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMrDrmr View Post
I've had a chance to drive it around more and getting some miles on it! Car is such a blast to drive..

The exhaust sounds awesome (for me) seems to really come to life after 4k though I can't really mess around given break in restrictions. I actually had a chance to roll down the windows and it is good enough for now for sure.

The 6MT is so much fun to drive really but yeah if I was going to drive it daily I may be regretting that decision. Then again it's so much fun to drive it may push me to drive it daily so who knows.. I'll have to leave that up to people with both!

I REALLY can't wait for 1200 miles and nicer weather.. Going to be a fun summer for sure.

Oh you'll drive it daily, trust me. 😃
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #7
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Oh you'll drive it daily, trust me. ��
Technically I've driven it everyday this week so I suppose that qualifies no?

On another note I was at about 3k (40 ish mph) and started to play with the engine/exhaust sport settings button. It's clear the exhaust sound changes (tough to tell just revving it) the car clearly drives different in each mode and you can feel it as you change the settings, also the sport gauges reflect the changes as well it's pretty interesting.

Appreciate 1
      12-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #8
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Oh you'll drive it daily, trust me. ��
Technically I've driven it everyday this week so I suppose that qualifies no?

On another note I was at about 3k (40 ish mph) and started to play with the engine/exhaust sport settings button. It's clear the exhaust sound changes (tough to tell just revving it) the car clearly drives different in each mode and you can feel it as you change the settings, also the sport gauges reflect the changes as well it's pretty interesting.
Out of interest. Where are the exhaust settings located? Is it a physical button or through menu selection? I don't recall something like that on my F80 and haven't seen it pointed out in any videos/reviews.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 07:37 PM   #9
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Out of interest. Where are the exhaust settings located? Is it a physical button or through menu selection? I don't recall something like that on my F80 and haven't seen it pointed out in any videos/reviews.
It is only controlled by driving mode and the DME. You can install an exhaust valve controller if desired.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4581.50
      12-31-2020, 05:33 AM   #10
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
The button I was referring to is the one that looks like a tachometer next to the shifter. It controls a lot more than just the exhaust though.

Appreciate 2
Jimjamz4581.50
      12-31-2020, 05:34 AM   #11
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
It is only controlled by driving mode and the DME. You can install an exhaust valve controller if desired.
What they said too!!

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 05:45 AM   #12
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I noticed if your sub 3k rpm downshifting isn't an issue and it stays well under 5k but downshifting into first try to be well under 3k or it ends up around 6k. I have mostly just been slowing past 2nd using the brakes it just tools way too high for the little amount of slowing (given rev restrictions and wanting to take it easier for now).

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 05:58 AM   #13
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Couple other cool things to note. The hill hold feature on the clutch so you don't roll back is cool (holds for like 3 seconds). I'm sure this isn't new for the CS but the last standard I drove didn't have it.

This thing sounds and feels awesome cruising at about 3k RPM on the highway and dropping it a gear and getting on it is oh my god amazing this car just comes alive and sounds and feels awesome. There really is no way to describe it but holy crap there really isn't a great time driving this car.

Stuck behind granny?? Drop a gear and listen to it sing at any speed this car is seriously fun.. Maybe it's because I have no comparison really since I am bouncing between an F250 and this right now. I am pretty sure though this is a special car and really is just engaging on every level. I haven't even really touched the radio yet. Yup it's that good.

You all waiting I know it sucks but let me tell you.. SO WORTH IT! If it matters any I'm in NE and likely won't be driving much until spring but you can bet your ass I'll be out there when the salt is clear!

Appreciate 2
CarJunkie2616.50
      12-31-2020, 07:45 AM   #14
black ming
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS

Quote:
Couple other cool things to note. The hill hold feature on the clutch so you don't roll back is cool (holds for like 3 seconds). I'm sure this isn't new for the CS but the last standard I drove didn't have it.

This thing sounds and feels awesome cruising at about 3k RPM on the highway and dropping it a gear and getting on it is oh my god amazing this car just comes alive and sounds and feels awesome. There really is no way to describe it but holy crap there really isn't a great time driving this car.

Stuck behind granny?? Drop a gear and listen to it sing at any speed this car is seriously fun.. Maybe it's because I have no comparison really since I am bouncing between an F250 and this right now. I am pretty sure though this is a special car and really is just engaging on every level. I haven't even really touched the radio yet. Yup it's that good.

You all waiting I know it sucks but let me tell you.. SO WORTH IT! If it matters any I'm in NE and likely won't be driving much until spring but you can bet your ass I'll be out there when the salt is clear!
Another cool feature is even with auto stop/start feature turned off in the manual if you are stopped at the lights, for instance, and are in neutral the engine will still switch itself off. As soon as you engage the clutch it re-starts.

Glad you are fully into the car!
Appreciate 2
BMrDrmr314.50
      12-31-2020, 08:00 AM   #15
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
I noticed if your sub 3k rpm downshifting isn't an issue and it stays well under 5k but downshifting into first try to be well under 3k or it ends up around 6k. I have mostly just been slowing past 2nd using the brakes it just tools way too high for the little amount of slowing (given rev restrictions and wanting to take it easier for now).
That's how I tend to drive a manual. I use the brakes when stopping in traffic and shift as I get close to a stop at very low speed. Its a little weird to have it Rev match unnecessarily because it does it even when going very slow from a 3-2 shift.

Also wowed by the auto hill hold.
Appreciate 1
BMrDrmr314.50
      12-31-2020, 08:21 AM   #16
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:

"I haven't even really touched the radio yet. Yup it's that good".

If that doesn't say it all, nothing else will.

Thank you for sharing
BMrDrmr314.50
      12-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #17
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It rained out today. Sooooo no CS for me today but I still snuck over to my house to just stare at it...

An unintended side effect of driving this car is I'm really beginning to hate my truck.. It's like driving a house and its so slow.. even with 400 HP.. I get into my truck after my car and it feels like I'm literally driving a house around.. I am not sure how I've lived without heated seats and now I'm totally spoiled. I see another BMW for winter driving possibly in my future now

Appreciate 1
      12-31-2020, 02:21 PM   #18
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
It rained out today. Sooooo no CS for me today but I still snuck over to my house to just stare at it...

An unintended side effect of driving this car is I'm really beginning to hate my truck.. It's like driving a house and its so slow.. even with 400 HP.. I get into my truck after my car and it feels like I'm literally driving a house around.. I am not sure how I've lived without heated seats and now I'm totally spoiled. I see another BMW for winter driving possibly in my future now
Our second car is a current X4 M40i. 0-62 in 4.6s with a beautiful sounding B58 engine, every luxury option we need and plenty of cargo and passenger space for carting stuff around.

I know some members on the forum hate on BMW's Xs but as second or primary cars with great driving feel they are hard to beat (unless it's by your F87 parked next to it).
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
BMrDrmr314.50
      12-31-2020, 02:37 PM   #19
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

Quote:

I'm driving my CS in the pouring rain today!
Appreciate 4
Jimjamz4581.50
BMrDrmr314.50
      12-31-2020, 03:22 PM   #20
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrocks View Post
Quote:

Ill be out cruising around tomorrow, weather looks really good here aside from the fact its colder but salt is very low and will be no rain and fairly sunny.. I really am giddy at the thought 😁

Appreciate 1
      12-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #21
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Ill be out cruising around tomorrow, weather looks really good here aside from the fact its colder but salt is very low and will be no rain and fairly sunny.. I really am giddy at the thought 😁
The salt and snow are pretty bad here. I literally brought the manual in and read it cover to cover so I had something M2 CS to do...
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
cbmmm3318.50
      12-31-2020, 10:16 PM   #22
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrocks View Post
Quote:

Ill be out cruising around tomorrow, weather looks really good here aside from the fact its colder but salt is very low and will be no rain and fairly sunny.. I really am giddy at the thought
We're very lucky in Australia; even when it's cold it's warm. For most parts, we don't see snow so no salt issues either.

and rain is rain, just more opportunities for a titillating slide or two down Drift Lane