BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Keyless entry ?

12-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #1
Euromeister
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Keyless entry ?

Is Key-less entry worth it ? you still have to put the key fob in the dash to starting!
My daughters 7year old Toyota IQ has key-less entry and she leave her keys in her handbag!
Thoughts anyone?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
As long as the fob is in the vicinity of the car, you can unlock it by touching th door handle (or open trunk, in your case boot) same with starting the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #3
Zippster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2

what other options do you have/

You can keep the fob in a jacket, pocket, whatever. My concern is that if I am standing close to the car like going in the trunk, can someone could hop in and drive away. Of course once they stop the ride is over if I have the fob in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippster View Post

You can keep the fob in a jacket, pocket, whatever. My concern is that if I am standing close to the car like going in the trunk, can someone could hop in and drive away. Of course once they stop the ride is over if I have the fob in my pocket.
Where do you live?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippster View Post

The car won't start if the fob isn't physically in the car. I've been standing next to the driver's door, with the door open and the fob in my pocket, and a friend tried to start the car. It just gave an error message and wouldn't start. So the designers apparently already thought about your shady neighborhood scenario.

BTW, comfort access is such an underrated feature. This is the first time I've had this - my other cars both still need a fob button pushed and key turned, and I'm already spoiled after less than 2 months. I even got annoyed when the loaner during my break-in service didn't have comfort access and I had to actually unlock the car manually.
Appreciate 2
Em-too279.50
D CHOI581.00
      12-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
Zippster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post
The car won't start if the fob isn't physically in the car. I've been standing next to the driver's door, with the door open and the fob in my pocket, and a friend tried to start the car. It just gave an error message and wouldn't start. So the designers apparently already thought about your shady neighborhood scenario.

BTW, comfort access is such an underrated feature. This is the first time I've had this - my other cars both still need a fob button pushed and key turned, and I'm already spoiled after less than 2 months. I even got annoyed when the loaner during my break-in service didn't have comfort access and I had to actually unlock the car manually.
That's good to know. I did not try to start my car but I noticed I could unlock it with the fob several feet away, that was my test. When I was washing it the doors kept unlocking when I went under the handle. So I moved the fob from my pocket to the bumper of another car several feet away and it still did it. So I assumed.......

I don't live in a dodgy neighborhood, but a car jacking can happen almost anywhere and a opportunist might try something when you least expect it.

The local news has warned people not to leave valuables in the open in cars while they are fueling up the car. Thieves have low crawled up and opened the opposite door and stole items and ran/drove away.
Appreciate 1
RD854.50
      12-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Well.... as a cyber security professional I have witnessed 'researchers' hack the comfort system for BMW. In fact I've seen the connected drive service be compromised....
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #8
Em-too
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post

Can't agree more. I love comfort access and am spoiled now. I also am now "upset" when I drive my wife's Audi where I have to use the fob!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #9
Bluedoor
Private
Rep

Smile

Every time I drive a car which requires me to pull a key out of my pocket and insert it and turn it feels obscene. Keyless entry and push-to-start cars are a must for me. A couple good points beyond enjoying being lazy: several times a year I find myself loading something in the trunk (golf bag) with my keys still inside it and the trunk, sensing the key fob in the trunk dutifully opens it…endless thanks. Second, every car seems to want the key within 24” to 30” of the car before the touch bar will unlock the doors. I am big enough that I have often been sideways to the car as I reached for the handle and it wouldn’t unlock until I move my other leg closer. I will admit that I have yet to find a car manufacture that shuts the car down without the key. I seem to end up in accessory mode when I don’t want it. Definitely First World Problems though.: lol:
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
Well.... as a cyber security professional I have witnessed 'researchers' hack the comfort system for BMW. In fact I've seen the connected drive service be compromised....
Correct... Keyless Entry is the most easy system to hack and to open your car when your key is at your home and the car standing in front of your door. They receive the weak signal and amplify it to open the door of your car. They can also copy the signal to a blank key.
      12-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #11
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Wait a second... OP, how are you starting your car if not with the start/stop button? BMW hasn't made an M car that starts with an actual key in 8 years. The last one was the 2008 E86 M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 11:08 PM   #12
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

You can just leave your keys in your pocket (or handbag) and never have to take them out.

Once you're spoiled by keyless entry and start, it's hard to go back to using normal keys, so for me, I had to get it.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
I travel quite a bit for work and am always renting cars. It is funny how spoiled you get. I find it so annoying to have to get a key out of my pocket to unlock the car especially if I'm carrying stuff.

Comfort access allows you to lock and unlock the doors by simply touching the door handle. If you don't have comfort access you have to get out the fob and press the door lock or unlock buttons. Comfort access also allows you to open the trunk without pushing a button on the fob.

With or without comfort access you start the car the same way by getting in and pressing a button. You do not have to put the fob in the dash whether you have comfort access or not, it can stay in your pocket. Some BMWs do have a slot in the dash for the fob but that is for convenience or in some cases will charge your fob if you have one with rechargeable batteries (they only need to be charged once or twice a year).

In the Altima I once owned if the batteries died in the fob you could still start it by putting the fob in the dash. I don't know if that is the case with BMW. In fact I'm not sure what you do if your fob dies. I don't think the M2, or my 328i for that matter, even have slots in the dash for the fob. The X6 does have a slot.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
In the Altima I once owned if the batteries died in the fob you could still start it by putting the fob in the dash. I don't know if that is the case with BMW. In fact I'm not sure what you do if your fob dies. I don't think the M2, or my 328i for that matter, even have slots in the dash for the fob. The X6 does have a slot.
There's a spot on the lower right side of the plastic that covers the steering column with a key icon stamped into it. You hold your key there and the weak signal will get picked up and the car will start.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #15
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
There's a spot on the lower right side of the plastic that covers the steering column with a key icon stamped into it. You hold your key there and the weak signal will get picked up and the car will start.
Ah, I wondered what that spot was for... thanks!

In my experience, the passenger cannot open their door with comfort access if I have the key close to the driver door. Good security feature.

I do wonder what happens when someone tries to drive it away if I leave the car with my key fob, but it is still running. I did this once when warming it up, walked into the house and back and still running. Could someone drive it away without the fob? Other cars I have rented freak out if I leave the car with it running and the fob in my pocket. My M2 did not even peep.

I have also been spoiled by the comfort access. Having to dig something out of your pocket seems so primitive now. I travel a lot, and recently had a car with a strange metal tab sticking out of the fob. I eventually remembered you were supposed to stick it in a slot on the steering column and twist it.

It is annoying when washing the car though... if I have the key fob in my pocket it is locking and unlocking constantly.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #16
mokrunka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2, 2011 BMW 335i

What is the code (and price) for the comfort package on the m2? Or is it included in the base?

Edit: I see now it is option 322 from the stickies.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #17
patrickoccasionallydrives
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokrunka View Post
What is the code (and price) for the comfort package on the m2? Or is it included in the base?

it's included
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #18
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
I do wonder what happens when someone tries to drive it away if I leave the car with my key fob, but it is still running. I did this once when warming it up, walked into the house and back and still running. Could someone drive it away without the fob?
You can drive it without the fob but once you kill the engine you will not be able to restart the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #19
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokrunka View Post

Comfort access is standard on the M2 in the US. Not sure about other countries. To me it should be standard on every BMW given what they cost but it was an option on my 328i and X6 (part of some package.)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #20
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Fun reading....

I have to run out and saddle my horse...TTYL...

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #21
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
And there is actually a key inside the fob that you can detach and I am pretty sure insert here as well
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #22
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M+M View Post
And there is actually a key inside the fob that you can detach and I am pretty sure insert here as well
I think that key is just to lock the trunk so if you give your fob to someone, like a valet, they can't open the trunk. I don't think it can be used to start the car.
Appreciate 0