BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > I Drive shut down

08-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

I Drive shut down

Was driving listening to USB drive music. The music switched off and idrive 6 screen shut down. Stayed blank for at least 1 minute before rebooting. Once rebooted the music returned but to the track on the USB from when I first started the music.
Anyone have this happen to them?

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Isnt that what the open recall's about?
      08-21-2018, 01:21 AM   #3
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Isnt that what the open recall's about?
What open recall?

Only thing I'm aware of was the action / service campaign for the dash/gauges in the LCI cars... and that wasn't an actual "recall."
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
What open recall?

Only thing I'm aware of was the action / service campaign for the dash/gauges in the LCI cars... and that wasn't an actual "recall."
The recall for which my '18 M2 is impacted is the instrument panel shutting down re illumination. And it is a recall.. I have the notice... I thought perhaps this was related to IDrive screen going dark as mentioned in OP's post.

Recall Number
17V719000
Recall Date
11/15/2017
Component
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: INSTRUMENT PANEL

Last edited by boostm3; 08-21-2018 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I thought the recall was just for gauge cluster. I have noticed that with sufficient levels of dust on the screen and wind coming in from outside, the screen will go absolutely nuts. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.
      08-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I thought the recall was just for gauge cluster. I have noticed that with sufficient levels of dust on the screen and wind coming in from outside, the screen will go absolutely nuts. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Yeah, I think youre right... Probably only related to gauge cluster going dark, not IDrive screen. Dust on the touchscreen.. Hmmmm. Interesting theory.
      08-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
The screen "going nuts" is due to bad screen from what I've seen. Other threads about that on here. "phantom touches" on LCI touchscreen.

The OP's issue is more likely due to some piece of metadata in a music file pissing off the system, since it crashed while playing from USB stick. Either corrupt album art, or a bad ID tag, or something else weird with the tag (foreign character the idrive doesn't like, or something too long, or whatever).

This should be testable - if it keeps dying on the same song, you know for sure it's that song's fault.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
GregoryK504.00
      08-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Was driving listening to USB drive music. The music switched off and idrive 6 screen shut down. Stayed blank for at least 1 minute before rebooting. Once rebooted the music returned but to the track on the USB from when I first started the music.
Anyone have this happen to them?
I had not the exactly same issue, but after a year my head unit started to reboot randomly and always kicked out my phone connection.

First it happened very rarely, then after a while sarted to do it every time i started the car and kept rebooting all 5 minutes, even lost my GPS and Bluetooth....dealer checked with BMW, first they thought the head unit needs to be replaced, but first they completely flashed my car wirh the latest software and that fixed the issue...no single reboot since then.

So that could be a possible help in your case if it happens again and again.
Orherwise, as others said, maybe only an issue with that song..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 06:51 AM   #9
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
The screen "going nuts" is due to bad screen from what I've seen. Other threads about that on here. "phantom touches" on LCI touchscreen.

The OP's issue is more likely due to some piece of metadata in a music file pissing off the system, since it crashed while playing from USB stick. Either corrupt album art, or a bad ID tag, or something else weird with the tag (foreign character the idrive doesn't like, or something too long, or whatever).

This should be testable - if it keeps dying on the same song, you know for sure it's that song's fault.
Unbelievable that you know this stuff. Thanks!

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0