BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Mods on a stock M2 ECU

08-02-2022, 08:29 PM   #45
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, Porsche 944 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Running a straight pipe is not something I'd personally do on a stock tune, because the car can run super lean without a Cat

There are some people who are running a straight pipe on a stock ECU… I think that's a bit risky IMO

It's amazing how well my M2 runs currently
I cannot wait to install my new Euro 6 Cat
I was originally worried about this too but was told time and time again that the primary o2 is what's controlling AFR, not the secondary.

That said, some say long term fuel trims can be impacted but there is very little to no data that supports that, from what I've found.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN18311.00
      08-02-2022, 08:56 PM   #46
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LiterBeater View Post
I was originally worried about this too but was told time and time again that the primary o2 is what's controlling AFR, not the secondary.

That said, some say long term fuel trims can be impacted but there is very little to no data that supports that, from what I've found.
Correct
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN18311.00
      08-02-2022, 10:49 PM   #47
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

It's not afr's im worried about - since bmw's have incredibly smart ecus that can adapt. I am more worried about slight overboosting, because with a catless downpipe it spools much faster causing overboosting if not tuned for.
///M TOWN18311.00
      08-02-2022, 10:54 PM   #48
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Running a straight pipe is not something I'd personally do on a stock tune, because the car can run super lean without a Cat

There are some people who are running a straight pipe on a stock ECU… I think that's a bit risky IMO

my turner and shop just recently data logged my car and we noticed the fuel trims were different with the the valves opened / closed. the car under full boost ran rich when closed and when opened it ran lean. I would like to think a catless down pipe would effect the fuel trims as well with an increase in airflow.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN18311.00
      08-03-2022, 09:43 AM   #49
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
I bought all new hardware, but thanks for looking out for me

I'm using a lift this Friday simply because my garage is a single and it's tight and I only have two Jack-stands and I'm sure you know the the limitations with only two vs four

I am excited to get it installed
Lift is definitely the way to go then. I don’t think you’d have a very good time on two jack stands.

Good deal on hardware. Didn’t see it mentioned.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN18311.00
      08-03-2022, 09:44 AM   #50
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
my turner and shop just recently data logged my car and we noticed the fuel trims were different with the the valves opened / closed. the car under full boost ran rich when closed and when opened it ran lean. I would like to think a catless down pipe would effect the fuel trims as well with an increase in airflow.
Well yeah, closing the exhaust valves is going to add back pressure to the system.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN18311.00
      08-03-2022, 01:19 PM   #51
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
It's not afr's im worried about - since bmw's have incredibly smart ecus that can adapt. I am more worried about slight overboosting, because with a catless downpipe it spools much faster causing overboosting if not tuned for.
While I haven't done any deep diving into this data, I've put about 10hrs of track time on the car without any code other than the catalyst.

When you say overboost, are you speaking on the car throwing a code/ hitting a limp mode or just small increments of boost outside of what the car is targeting?

I can confirm my boost levels "appear" consistent but obviously that changes dramatically based on temps and various other factors. Ranges are all the way from 13.5-17psi per weekend
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 02:31 PM   #52
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.62]
Quote:
Quote:
While I haven't done any deep diving into this data, I've put about 10hrs of track time on the car without any code other than the catalyst.

When you say overboost, are you speaking on the car throwing a code/ hitting a limp mode or just small increments of boost outside of what the car is targeting?

I can confirm my boost levels "appear" consistent but obviously that changes dramatically based on temps and various other factors. Ranges are all the way from 13.5-17psi per weekend
What mods are you running in total ⁉️
      08-03-2022, 02:44 PM   #53
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Generally you'd see the actual boost deviate higher than the targets during spool up, it shouldn't be anything too crazy that you'd limp mode on. But it's not ideal.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN18311.00
      08-03-2022, 06:26 PM   #54
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Generally you'd see the actual boost deviate higher than the targets during spool up, it shouldn't be anything too crazy that you'd limp mode on. But it's not ideal.
Are you implying the ECU is not able to compensate for said minor deviation in boost pressures? You say you’re not worried about AFR but what else would be the concern of an additional .5psi be if not AFR?

Aren’t these cars basically MAF with MAP to supplement? These concerns seem slightly OCD to me given BMW offered an optional exhaust that would present similar “concerns”.

I know you’re well versed on all this theory and what not F87source but I’d love for a tuner with extensive experience tuning BM3 or Ecutek to weigh in on just how material concerns like this are because I’m missing something.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 09:40 PM   #55
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Are you implying the ECU is not able to compensate for said minor deviation in boost pressures? You say you’re not worried about AFR but what else would be the concern of an additional .5psi be if not AFR?

Aren’t these cars basically MAF with MAP to supplement? These concerns seem slightly OCD to me given BMW offered an optional exhaust that would present similar “concerns”.

I know you’re well versed on all this theory and what not F87source but I’d love for a tuner with extensive experience tuning BM3 or Ecutek to weigh in on just how material concerns like this are because I’m missing something.
The ECU will compensate for it when it passes the target boost pressure, but the fact that it'll over boost will still occur until tuned for.

AFR's should be fine as the car will adapt to it (as long as you aren't asking for it to adjust stft more than +/-30% which is the max) the over boost if small should also be ok - only if it isn't a major issue. 0.5 psi is very little and should be ok, but what happens if the over boost is alot, say a couple of psi when you're doing a full throttle pull? This scenario could cause a large knock event, because the ECU isn't expecting this. In higher gears the turbo spools faster than the rpms increase, and if you over boost alot here this could exacerbate lspi, and lspi is what blows motors.

Imo I'm not ok with any of this on my personal car, I would never run a single mod that is not closed loop (i.e. charge pipes and intercooler which don't affect anything as they cannot alter the volume of air going into or out of the engine, or affect afrs) without a tune. So this thread kind of bothers me, because you ideally should never run a single non "closed loop" mod without a tune, you should also never rely on the ECU to adapt for everything or else you're asking for trouble (especially if you're asking for too much or somehow end up running in open loop mode). I always say bmw owners are really spoiled (myself included because I used to spend $1k on dyno tunes for every single mod I installed on my sti) because of how strong these engines are and how smart these ecus are, and how these things allow bmw owners to get away with things that shouldn't be permitted. But this teaches really bad habits, like chasing power mods over doing supporting mods first. Anyways this was just my rambling - ignore if you wish it's just my opinion coming from japanese cars which were really fastidious.

No, these cars are map based, the maf sensor does very little (idle conditions), as soon as your on load it's map based.

A cat back exhaust does little to affect anything, the catalytic converter is what your should be worried about. Even on a Subaru where the ecus are extremely stupid and you must tune for literally every mods even an intake, catbacks don't need a tune.

Mhd was the one that told me not to flash stage 0 in order to delete the cel and run a catless downpipe. They told me it would be best to run it with a tune so I wouldn't get overboosting issues.

Last edited by F87source; 08-03-2022 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 07:30 AM   #56
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Thanks for your reply. Always appreciate your posts.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 01:24 PM   #57
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Only a catless DP, drop in filter and intercooler
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN18311.00
      08-04-2022, 01:39 PM   #58
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.62]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hopefully installing my new cat tomorrow

What straight pipe are you running?

You changed your CP, yes?
      08-04-2022, 05:35 PM   #59
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Standard MPE, I did do the charge pipe with the intercooler.

Amazed that this part still exists in plastic, lol
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 05:37 PM   #60
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post

The ECU will compensate for it when it passes the target boost pressure, but the fact that it'll over boost will still occur until tuned for.

AFR's should be fine as the car will adapt to it (as long as you aren't asking for it to adjust stft more than +/-30% which is the max) the over boost if small should also be ok - only if it isn't a major issue. 0.5 psi is very little and should be ok, but what happens if the over boost is alot, say a couple of psi when you're doing a full throttle pull? This scenario could cause a large knock event, because the ECU isn't expecting this. In higher gears the turbo spools faster than the rpms increase, and if you over boost alot here this could exacerbate lspi, and lspi is what blows motors.

Imo I'm not ok with any of this on my personal car, I would never run a single mod that is not closed loop (i.e. charge pipes and intercooler which don't affect anything as they cannot alter the volume of air going into or out of the engine, or affect afrs) without a tune. So this thread kind of bothers me, because you ideally should never run a single non "closed loop" mod without a tune, you should also never rely on the ECU to adapt for everything or else you're asking for trouble (especially if you're asking for too much or somehow end up running in open loop mode). I always say bmw owners are really spoiled (myself included because I used to spend $1k on dyno tunes for every single mod I installed on my sti) because of how strong these engines are and how smart these ecus are, and how these things allow bmw owners to get away with things that shouldn't be permitted. But this teaches really bad habits, like chasing power mods over doing supporting mods first. Anyways this was just my rambling - ignore if you wish it's just my opinion coming from japanese cars which were really fastidious.

No, these cars are map based, the maf sensor does very little (idle conditions), as soon as your on load it's map based.

A cat back exhaust does little to affect anything, the catalytic converter is what your should be worried about. Even on a Subaru where the ecus are extremely stupid and you must tune for literally every mods even an intake, catbacks don't need a tune.

Mhd was the one that told me not to flash stage 0 in order to delete the cel and run a catless downpipe. They told me it would be best to run it with a tune so I wouldn't get overboosting issues.
You're right on this, on both ends of the spectrum.

We learned the hard way on my buddy's WRX back in the day. Even a cone filter caused it to hit a hard cutoff at 4k RPM.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 05:39 PM   #61
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I'd think the car would see this and adapt accordingly, based on what I've read/ seen from others
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 05:48 PM   #62
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.62]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Standard MPE, I did do the charge pipe with the intercooler.

Amazed that this part still exists in plastic, lol
The 2018 CP is the factory improvement

But yeah with it being plastic I sold mine for $100 and replaced it as a Maintenance Preventive measure
      08-05-2022, 04:22 PM   #63
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.62]
Just installed my new Euro 6 Cat

90 day part from Germany 🇩🇪

Attached Images

Altra265.50
      08-05-2022, 07:05 PM   #64
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

We learned the hard way on my buddy's WRX back in the day. Even a cone filter caused it to hit a hard cutoff at 4k RPM.
Yeah I was heavy into the Subaru world before going to bmw, and all I can say is the Subaru ecus are straight up stupid. This is probably why sti's always blew motors because they are unable to adapt and fully prevent feedback knock even on the stock tune (I.e. when. Heat soaked it never pulls enough timing to prevent knock when starting from a red light). This is why you'd always have to tune them with huge head room and safety margins.

Even a car back exhaust slightly altered fuel trims, but thankfully not enough to require a tune.

Quote:

Nice!!! What a beauty! Get us some exhaust clips if you can!
///M TOWN18311.00
      08-05-2022, 07:23 PM   #65
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.62]
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I was heavy into the Subaru world before going to bmw, and all I can say is the Subaru ecus are straight up stupid. This is probably why sti's always blew motors because they are unable to adapt and fully prevent feedback knock even on the stock tune (I.e. when. Heat soaked it never pulls enough timing to prevent knock when starting from a red light). This is why you'd always have to tune them with huge head room and safety margins.

Even a car back exhaust slightly altered fuel trims, but thankfully not enough to require a tune.

Quote:

Nice!!! What a beauty! Get us some exhaust clips if you can!
It's sounds sooo good

I will soon