M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW M2 LCi Brake Issues

05-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

BMW M2 LCi Brake Issues

Over the past 500 or so miles I have been experiencing what appears to be abnormal behaviour with my M2's brakes.

My M2 is a 2018 LCi DCT and has covered 3700 miles from new. I have owned the car from new, It has not been tracked or the brakes over heated etc and is fitted with conti sport 3's . If I do use the brakes more than normal (pushing on a bit on B roads) I always let them cool before parking up. The discs have no signs of any pad deposits.

I first noticed some steering feedback under braking at around 50 - 40 mph where in some instances the steering can be seen vibrating slightly under braking, once the brakes are released or it passes through the 50 - 40 mph range the vibration goes.

A couple of points worth noting

So far I can not feel any brake vibration above 50 mph

The vibration is not through the car but in the steering only.

It is more of a visible vibration (let go of or release grip pressure on steering wheel) and can only be felt ever so slightly

The brake vibration seems worse (noticeable) on hot days, increase in tyre pressure maybe? I have not noticed it on cooler days when the tyre pressures are lower but not 100% that it's not doing it.

Road surface also seems to play a part in whether I notice the vibration or not

I run 35 psi (cold temp) all round

If I use the brakes a lot (a few hard stops) you can hear the fronts making a slight groaning noise

I have notice recently that as I slow down using light brake pressure below 40 mph the car say to turn into a junction the car (sometimes) seems to surge (not vibrate) as if the brakes are grabbing and releasing, only very very slightly but not 100% smooth as in other cars.

When not using the brakes I have also noticed that on some road surfaces a very slight steering vibration can be felt at around 70 - 80+ mph but only very slight, this is not under braking but more like feedback from the road or maybe a slightly out of balance wheel.

I'm not sure if this is a brake or tyre issue. I know it's under warranty however from experience things normally get worse once dealers are involved.

I have a feeling it could be tyre related or even the OEM pads?

Any ideas appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Stuck pad and/or disc corrosion?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Sounds like you need a four wheel alignment. Did you hit a curb or some other object?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Find a road close to a dealer where you can reliably replicate the issue at a legal speed and take the tech out for a drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:24 AM   #5
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Update- So the Journey to work today I on purpose did a couple of stops from 60 - 20 mph and the steering remained vibration free. Further applications of the brakes when required were also vibration free, the outside temp was 9 deg C.

I did note that above 60mph on a certain road I do get a steering vibration that is not present on other surfaces so I am leaning towards a wheel balance issue that is being highlighted as temperatures rise.

The car (so far) has never been through any large potholes or been curbed in any way
Appreciate 0