BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Honest wait time for M2

08-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Honest wait time for M2

If I were to put down a deposit on an allocation today, what's the honest opinion on how long to wait for the car to be delivered?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

If you actually have an allocation from a dealer - take it. Then about 8 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

9months. Here is the rationale:
- all allocation for this year (calendar year) are given
- next allocation slots: End of Q4 2016.
- the earliest allocation you could get is for a January 2017 production with a 6-8 weeks delay for delivery in March 2017.

Hope it helps!

Edit: If you have an allocation then 8 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
If you actually have an allocation from a dealer - take it. Then about 8 weeks.
They better get rolling on mine then. I got my allocation at the end of June and it still doesn't show it is in production yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
They better get rolling on mine then. I got my allocation at the end of June and it still doesn't show it is in production yet.
If you call the BMW Genius line whats your scheduled production week?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
- the earliest allocation you could get is for a January 2017 production with a 6-8 weeks delay for delivery in March 2017.

Hope it helps!

I do not have an allocation, I should have been clear. I meant getting on a waiting list for an allocation.

9 months sounds doable. I was hearing people say 18 months +. In fact my dealer told me 1 year.

I'll probably get on a list, and see how things go. If the wait becomes unbearable or I decide I want another car (probably an M240 xDrive), I'll just do that.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #7
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

It all depends when your production allocation will be. My advice: Put your deposit and check in January when is your production will be. You will know if you wait for the M2 at that time.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #8
QLAbot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah View Post
I do not have an allocation, I should have been clear. I meant getting on a waiting list for an allocation.

9 months sounds doable. I was hearing people say 18 months +. In fact my dealer told me 1 year.

I'll probably get on a list, and see how things go. If the wait becomes unbearable or I decide I want another car (probably an M240 xDrive), I'll just do that.
I've called 11 dealerships all over the country in the last week, in an attempt to find the shortest waiting list. Nearly all of them told me the wait would be at least a year. I decided to put a deposit in with a smaller dealership here in the state. Granted, they don't receive many M allocations due to their low volume of sales, but the wait list was smaller. I'm number 4 on the list.

The only thing that might expedite the process is if BMW ramps up production and starts handing out more allocations to dealerships -Rumor has it. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 ans m2

Quote:

Hope it helps!

My understanding is that there will be another allocation distribution in Septemver for the last quarter of the year. Is that not accurate?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #10
QLAbot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucErDoc View Post
My understanding is that there will be another allocation distribution in Septemver for the last quarter of the year. Is that not accurate?
I thought so. There should be another batch of allocations mid-september or Q4.

Quote:

Hope it helps!

After calling almost a dozen dealerships, this has by far been the most helpful nugget of information I've received. The dealers are either lost in the sauce, or playing dumb.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 03:12 PM   #11
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucErDoc
Quote:

Hope it helps!

For Canada. US might have one in September.
      08-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #12
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
If you call the BMW Genius line whats your scheduled production week?
My dealer verbally told me week 36 but, you know, I've been meaning to call BMW Genius for some time and just never think to do it when it's convenient. However, your post got me to call them.

I'm actually production week 37 which he said would be the week of Sept 11 - 17. He said once production started it would take approximately 10 days assuming no unforeseen delays.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #13
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I officially put down a deposit. Refundable, that is.

I went to the dealership and drove an xDrive M240 and then an M4. I liked the smoother feeling comfort ride mode of the xDrive but the power of the M4 and road feel was nice. So I'm hoping the M2 will be somewhere in between. The only thing I honestly didn't like was the loudness of the cold start on the M4. I'm hoping the M2 is quieter or can be made quieter... It's obnoxiously loud, sounds like a poverty 1990 Honda that has a broken muffler, and my neighbors would definitely wake up every time I left early in the morning.

Anyways, I was quoted 1 year at current production rates. I am number 8 on the list, but they are the biggest M dealer for many, many mines around my part of the US and have been averaging 2-3 allocations per quarter. If production is ramped up in 2017, I may be looking at 6-8 months. If not, a year or more.

Now all I want to do is go for a ride in one. Not even drive it, but just have someone drive it FOR me so I can see what it's like.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 06:23 PM   #14
ohnnyj
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Where is everyone getting this 8 weeks from? Maybe from production to delivery but not from allocation to delivery.

Here is my timeline so far:

Waiting list: January
Allocation: June
Production: 2nd Week of August

Expect end of production in maybe another week. Then its got to be put on a ship then delivered to your dealer.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1225876 has a good estimate, not sure it accuracy.

Maybe others have had a different experience. Certainly if you are in Europe the timeline shrinks quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #15
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
If I were to put down a deposit on an allocation today, what's the honest opinion on how long to wait for the car to be delivered?
Do your homework on how many allocations/yr your candidate dealers have gotten. Their next year allocations will likely be proportionately the same as this year's (add a quarter more allocations for 2017 for each). Divide each allocation by list size and pick the dealer with largest number. You should be able to get a 2018 LCI by middle of next year earliest and end of next year latest.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 08:09 PM   #16
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, I officially put down a deposit. Refundable, that is.

I went to the dealership and drove an xDrive M240 and then an M4. I liked the smoother feeling comfort ride mode of the xDrive but the power of the M4 and road feel was nice. So I'm hoping the M2 will be somewhere in between. The only thing I honestly didn't like was the loudness of the cold start on the M4. I'm hoping the M2 is quieter or can be made quieter... It's obnoxiously loud, sounds like a poverty 1990 Honda that has a broken muffler, and my neighbors would definitely wake up every time I left early in the morning.

Anyways, I was quoted 1 year at current production rates. I am number 8 on the list, but they are the biggest M dealer for many, many mines around my part of the US and have been averaging 2-3 allocations per quarter. If production is ramped up in 2017, I may be looking at 6-8 months. If not, a year or more.

Now all I want to do is go for a ride in one. Not even drive it, but just have someone drive it FOR me so I can see what it's like.
The M2 is significantly louder than the M4 in the stock form. If the M4 had the MPE, than the stock M2 will be a little quieter. MPE on the M2 is similar to MPE on M4.
      08-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #17
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnnyj View Post
Where is everyone getting this 8 weeks from? Maybe from production to delivery but not from allocation to delivery.

Here is my timeline so far:

Waiting list: January
Allocation: June
Production: 2nd Week of August

Expect end of production in maybe another week. Then its got to be put on a ship then delivered to your dealer.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1225876 has a good estimate, not sure it accuracy.

Maybe others have had a different experience. Certainly if you are in Europe the timeline shrinks quite a bit.
Yes, from Production to delivery. Allocation does not mean anything without a production date.
      08-20-2016, 08:44 PM   #18
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Welp. If the M2 really is louder than M4 stock and the wait really will be over a year it's probably not gonna happen. I guess I gotta try and find someone in Cincinnati or Columbus who will let me listen to their exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #19
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

The thing is, in many cases the wait times aren't really growing due to amount people queued before production even started for their region (USA). Many dealers have consistent, one-year waits, even if added to list at end of 2015. So counter-intuitively perhaps, at this point it's not necessarily the case that you get your car that much quicker by getting on the list earlier! That said, wait time depends on particular dealer and their particular list size more than anything else. These numbers vary considerably among the ~300 dealers selling the car (my dealer is averaging 8/yr), so if you're in a rush, it's worth shopping around.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 11:09 PM   #20
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
The thing is, in many cases the wait times aren't really growing due to amount people queued before production even started for their region (USA). Many dealers have consistent, one-year waits, even if added to list at end of 2015. So counter-intuitively perhaps, at this point it's not necessarily the case that you get your car that much quicker by getting on the list earlier! That said, wait time depends on particular dealer and their particular list size more than anything else. These numbers vary considerably among the ~300 dealers selling the car (my dealer is averaging 8/yr), so if you're in a rush, it's worth shopping around.
Not in that much of a rush except to get to see one.

Well, and drive one...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 11:16 PM   #21
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnnyj View Post
Certainly if you are in Europe the timeline shrinks quite a bit.
Wait what? Why would this be?

Maybe there's a way to take advantage of this..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 12:45 AM   #22
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Members have been posting their timelines here from date added to waitlist to delivery.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1286576
Appreciate 0