BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > PPF or no PPF?

View Poll Results: PPF or no PPF?
Yes and I made the right choice 82 64.06%
Yes and I regret it 8 6.25%
No and I made the right choice 30 23.44%
No and I regret it 8 6.25%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

08-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #67
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
For those 5 people that did it and regret it, can you please share why you regretted it?
Was it purely because of cost, and that you didn't notice that it saved you from anything? Or was there another reason?
Since no one has answered this, I'll give it my best shot based on what I have seen, most of which has to do with a poor installation.

1. Too many leading edges gathering dirt. This is especially noticeable on a light colored car. Solution: Find a skilled installer who can wrap the front edges around the hood and front fender.

2. PPF is peeling back. Solution: Find the best installer in your area. If this does happen, a good installer will fix it under warranty.

3. Debris was caught under the PPF during install. Solution: Same as above.

4. If rock goes through or almost through the PPF (which has to be rare, and I shudder to think what the actual paint would have looked like with that kind of impact) it may look like a rock chip. This cannot be touched up. Solution: None except replace that piece of PPF it it bothers you that much.

5. If you do have damage to the car where the PPF is, you'll have to pay for the paint and the replacement PPF if you are not going through your insurance. Solution: Go through your insurance unless you have a high deductible. (And don't forget to let the paint cure for 30 days before having the PPF reinstalled.)

Anyway, those are all the scenarios that I can think of (outside of the cash outlay up front).
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 3
Up4speed171.50
ROASTM163.50
NEfan5082658.50
      08-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #68
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgs4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post

I once hanged around a respected violinist, who used to say that, if given the chance, she will sell everything she owned just to play a genuine Stradivarius. Apparently the sounds violins once made by the famed Familia Stradivari ~400 yrs ago had been unequaled even in today's tech world. I didn't see any reasoning in her madness, but I am no violinist. I believe she was dead serious...
This may not change your friends opinion, as a Stradivarius is still a Stradivarius but the "unequaled" part has been questioned in blind testing.
https://www.nature.com/news/science-can-tell-us-only-so-much-about-stradivarius-violins-1.21954

My M2C is going in on Tuesday for a partial wrap and full ceramic and given the cost I'm certainly hoping for unexpected joy rather than lessons learned.

Awesome, thanks for sharing that, I love learning about such things. And it may prove my point...according to the article:

"A musician's relationship with an instrument goes beyond measurable acoustic features, and can be deeply personal."

How deeply connected you are with your vehicle depends on a plethora of personal reasons. And, ultimately, that connection may drive the "to PPF or not PPF" decision. I do not recall a single time that, upon parking my M2C, I didn't at least once looked backwards and admired its sleek and aggressive lines. Heck, even a few times I pretended to look for the 'non-existent storm in the skies' only to sneak in another look....shoot, you know you did it too!!!!!

Lastly, as I plan on keeping this M2C for the long term (10+ yrs), my decision was an easy one to make, so yep, I do not regret for a second getting a full body SunTek Ultra PPF...
blkonblk192.00
      08-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #69
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriydee View Post
How much are you guys paying for PPF installation (at least on the high risk areas like bumpers)?

My M2C is in transit right now so Im also debating getting PPF done when it comes in.
These were the quotes to me yesterday by a local shop:

Hood and fenders only - SunTek $500, Stek Dynoshield $650
Whole car - Stek Dynoshield $4000
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 02:15 PM   #70
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Since no one has answered this, I'll give it my best shot based on what I have seen, most of which has to do with a poor installation.

1. Too many leading edges gathering dirt. This is especially noticeable on a light colored car. Solution: Find a skilled installer who can wrap the front edges around the hood and front fender.

2. PPF is peeling back. Solution: Find the best installer in your area. If this does happen, a good installer will fix it under warranty.

3. Debris was caught under the PPF during install. Solution: Same as above.

4. If rock goes through or almost through the PPF (which has to be rare, and I shudder to think what the actual paint would have looked like with that kind of impact) it may look like a rock chip. This cannot be touched up. Solution: None except replace that piece of PPF it it bothers you that much.

5. If you do have damage to the car where the PPF is, you'll have to pay for the paint and the replacement PPF if you are not going through your insurance. Solution: Go through your insurance unless you have a high deductible. (And don't forget to let the paint cure for 30 days before having the PPF reinstalled.)

Anyway, those are all the scenarios that I can think of (outside of the cash outlay up front).
Agree with everything mentioned here - I had my full car wrapped by one of the best installers in the area, and was overall very happy. Sure, there are a few spots here and there where a tiny spec of dust got under the film, but overall did a great job and they only wrapped edges to the extent it was possible without removing panels/lights/emblems etc, which I was OK with and knew going into it. At the end of the day, the key is to pick a quality, reputable installer - hands down.
Appreciate 1
KevinM2935.50
      08-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #71
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

It's worth mentioning that if you're going to get PPF you should talk with the installer and set expectations for where seams are expected to be visible, and where the ppf is going to be wrapped around panels. Also ask about how much debris is acceptable under the ppf, and if there is too much, or a defect, will they redo the panel free of charge?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:56 PM   #72
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

If I get it will get standard package which covers 18 inches of hood, bumper, headlights and mirrors. Always get this package
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 11:02 PM   #73
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Well, my car is in the shop now and I stepped up to a full wrap with ceramic coat rather than the partial coverage I had planned. My biggest regret is waiting 6 months to get it done as the car had a bunch of rock dings, road tar and embedded dirt that will show up in the prep work cost $$$. Feedback on this and other threads was partially to blame so you are all a bunch of enablers.
Appreciate 2
blkonblk192.00
smknjoe234.00
      08-28-2020, 12:29 AM   #74
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgs4 View Post
Well, my car is in the shop now and I stepped up to a full wrap with ceramic coat rather than the partial coverage I had planned. My biggest regret is waiting 6 months to get it done as the car had a bunch of rock dings, road tar and embedded dirt that will show up in the prep work cost $$$. Feedback on this and other threads was partially to blame so you are all a bunch of enablers.
My sentiments that's why I'm doing the same. Finally scheduled next Monday to tint all windows and full ppf, costly alright.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 12:46 AM   #75
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkonblk View Post
My sentiments that's why I'm doing the same. Finally scheduled next Monday to tint all windows and full ppf, costly alright.
Good luck and hope to see all of you Bay Area locals soon!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:00 AM   #76
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

absolutely yes. 60k car so spend the 2k and get PPF. install is key.
      10-23-2020, 03:06 AM   #77
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

I ended up getting PPF on the bumper, headlights, front and rear fenders, hood, side skirts and behind the rear arch.

It's been on for about 2 months and is very good so far. I did have to take it back due to a bubble developing but the installer was more than happy to fix the issue and even arranged collection/delivery of my car so I didn't need to use up my own time. I think a lot of it depends on having a local, reputable installer.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #78
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I was in the "no" camp, but decided to get full front wrapped anyway. I thought I'd try the new stuff that's been hyped and never do it again if I regret it.

After several months of driving, I don't regret it one bit. I would do it again.

I wasn't into PPF before because I had it installed on my e46 M3 back in the day. In those days, the film sucked. It yellowed in no time and the precut 3M film made the front end look like crap. It only cost $500, so go figure.

This time I forked out $2k on the best installer in town. All edges of the Xpel ultimate plus were wrapped and you literally cannot see the film. Looks like a masterpiece. Front end is incredibly easy to clean and there's not a single blemish or rock chip. If I had the funds, I'd get the full car wrapped and call it a day.

Modern day PPF is not a gimmick. It's truly spectacular stuff.
Appreciate 1