BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Carbon ceramic brakes: why (not) getting the 2NK option (M-CCB) ?

10-29-2020, 06:37 PM   #89
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
There were only 4 options to begin with

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M2CS View Post
I took all ///M2CSoptions except two
      10-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #90
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishUK View Post
Not saying you are above, but generally around the internet there's way too many people trying to scare too many people when it comes to CCBs.
The only scary thing about them is the price.
They are THE BEST brakes, CS cars with them optioned are the ULTIMATE M2s.
People saying they didn't option them because they might melt when unicorn wheel cleaner isn't used are really saying "I'd love them but didn't want to pay to play"
If you want the absolute ultimate factory M2CS then get 'em.
If you still want to buy the pinnacle of what BMWs can currently squeeze out of a road car then just get the steels.
I'm really glad there is such a high take rate for CCB on this car. Hopefully we will get a lot of honest feedback. Unfortunately there is very little long term feedback from the latest generation, and that likely won't change.

The good news is that anyone that didn't order them can easily buy a set of ccb rotors and pads.

I have a suspicion that they are going to be great and most of the negatives will be non existent. I also agree that $$$$ is a big reason why they don't get optioned. High on my list for not getting them was 1. Mitigate potential depreciation risk 2. May not own the car long enough for them to break even. 3. Fear of damage, squealing, wet weather response.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 10:36 AM   #91
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
I used to be a big CCB proponent, though I've only ever owned them on some of my Porsches, not on a Bimmer. I loved the way they looked and the absence of brake dust was great. The only thing that drove me nuts was the constant squealing. But I've now had two friends who have had stones (or small rocks) get caught in their CCBs and chip them. Both were gutted as their cars were basically new at the time and they were just breaking them in with normal street driving. As most of you know, the replacement costs are rather considerable, so it was a tough pill for them to swallow. I'm not sure how common this is, but obviously it does happen at least occasionally. As a result, although I will miss dust-free wheels, I chose steels for my M2 CS. I will not miss the squealing, that is for sure. And the money saved will go to a proper exhaust.
One of the final nudges for me was the potential issue with momentary brake delay in wet. I'm really eager to hear user feedback. As a DD in the city it may or may not be an issue. I'm a defensive driver so following distance would likely not be an issue, but there are constantly moments where other drivers don't seem to think about their decisions. That being said, I picked cup 2s which are the smartest wet weather tire.

I'd have no problem picking up a used set of ccb rotors with proper vetting if we get nothing but positive feedback. Or a full set of surface transforms discs from racing brake.
Appreciate 1
///M2CS1151.00
      10-31-2020, 12:24 PM   #92
///M2CS
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
I used to be a big CCB proponent, though I've only ever owned them on some of my Porsches, not on a Bimmer. I loved the way they looked and the absence of brake dust was great. The only thing that drove me nuts was the constant squealing. But I've now had two friends who have had stones (or small rocks) get caught in their CCBs and chip them. Both were gutted as their cars were basically new at the time and they were just breaking them in with normal street driving. As most of you know, the replacement costs are rather considerable, so it was a tough pill for them to swallow. I'm not sure how common this is, but obviously it does happen at least occasionally. As a result, although I will miss dust-free wheels, I chose steels for my M2 CS. I will not miss the squealing, that is for sure. And the money saved will go to a proper exhaust.
+1
      10-31-2020, 02:23 PM   #93
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Do mind that also the 2NH (M Sport Brakes) squeal, but only occasionally and in a mild way. No nuisance. Noticed that difference with the silver 2NH brakes on my M2C compared to the regular blue brakes on my former OG M2. It's a normal feature.

11-14-2020, 10:49 PM   #94
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Ceramics all the way for me (not my first car with such). Some considerations (in no particular order):

* Inherent 'benefits' of CCBs, among which are:
- Reduced weight - overall gross vehicle weight reduction and rotational mass effects
- Longevity and Method of Use (car will be largely for street use and I don't see replacement needed for years, considering it won't be anywhere near a daily)
- Reduced cost of maintenance (over medium term) makes price more digestible (i.e. changing pads and rotors over the life of the car if equipped with steelies, which one would otherwise need to factor in)
- Lack of brake dust and ease of upkeep (makes a world of difference on my other car, and on these gold wheels you will be sure to see brake dust immediately from the steelies)
* Length of ownership - indefinite (in no way short/medium term, but rather for the long long haul). Original 1///M owner (9 years and counting, at least that many more), and similar holding period envisioned for this car - hence I don't particularly care about value and short term depreciation (over the holding period when amortized it becomes a smaller factor)

* Another unique and differentiating characteristic of the M2CS

* Caliper color a better match to the gold wheels (which I have opted for)
Appreciate 4
Hedoniste3770.50
GimmeanM1448.50
Poochie9099.00
      11-23-2020, 07:13 PM   #95
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
I changed my mind and opted for these. Thinking about getting a stud conversion so when removing the wheels I can have a little more peace of mind about the rotors. Anyone have any experience with these, or recommendations? cncmastr , you talked about this in your video, also the idea of getting a pin or two to achieve the same result, what did you decide?

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...conversion-kit
      11-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #96
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
I changed my mind and opted for these. Thinking about getting a stud conversion so when removing the wheels I can have a little more peace of mind about the rotors. Anyone have any experience with these, or recommendations? cncmastr , you talked about this in your video, also the idea of getting a pin or two to achieve the same result, what did you decide?

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...conversion-kit
Ordered some from Fredric @ https://www.reverselogic.us/. Nicely made kit, but I do wish they were longer. My plan is actually to get something LIKE this, not this exact one to let the wheel rest on and I can wheel it out of the way once it clears the caliper and rotor. (yes, I know, I can feel the eye rolling)
      11-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #97
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Honest question. Then how do you clean them...

Showing my way out to you tube
I need to research more about this no "gloss enhancer" shampoo stuff. For now, something from Griot's Garage like their wheel cleaner would be up to the task. It's PH neutral and non acidic. And, the truth is, you don't need that much cleaning power.
      11-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #98
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
Ordered some from Fredric @ https://www.reverselogic.us/. Nicely made kit, but I do wish they were longer. My plan is actually to get something LIKE this, not this exact one to let the wheel rest on and I can wheel it out of the way once it clears the caliper and rotor. (yes, I know, I can feel the eye rolling)
I gotcha, that would work. Knowing myself it'd bump it and tip the wheel over back into the car somehow. The stud idea knowing the wheel is in my hands and can't get close to the rim unless it's on the studs feels the most warm and fuzzy to me.
      11-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #99
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
- Reduced cost of maintenance (over medium term) makes price more digestible (i.e. changing pads and rotors over the life of the car if equipped with steelies, which one would otherwise need to factor in)
Out of interest my last steel M Brakes on my F80 lasted the 50k miles and 7 years I had the car with no costs incurred for pads, discs etc. In fact the service system on the F80 said the steels still had 100k to go. At least in my experience there would have been no medium term cost advantage of CCBs over steel brakes - and in fact the capital outlay for CCBs would have been much higher over the 7 year life of my ownership. This is also the reason I'm going with 2NH steels for my F87 CS (combined with better safety in wet weather for my wife when she drives the car in the rain, and lower squeal noise).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 10:15 PM   #100
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Out of interest my last steel M Brakes on my F80 lasted the 50k miles and 7 years I had the car with no costs incurred for pads, discs etc. In fact the service system on the F80 said the steels still had 100k to go. At least in my experience there would have been no medium term cost advantage of CCBs over steel brakes - and in fact the capital outlay for CCBs would have been much higher over the 7 year life of my ownership. This is also the reason I'm going with 2NH steels for my F87 CS (combined with better safety in wet weather for my wife when she drives the car in the rain, and lower squeal noise).
That's impressive wear!

I plan to eventually track the car, probably in 4-5 years, so the replacement cost definitely figured into my decision to go 2NH.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4536.50
      11-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #101
///M2CS
Lieutenant
France
Rep

an M2CS Racing is fitted with steel brakes it is no coincidence
      11-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #102
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Like the great C vs CS debate this comes down to a value discussion. If you've got the funds and want them......
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #103
///M2CS
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Like the great C vs CS debate this comes down to a value discussion. If you've got the funds and want them......
I have the funds but not want them

I have CCB on Speciale and Pista and DCT ( no other choice possible)
Attached Images

11-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #104
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have CCB on Speciale and Pista and DCT ( no other choice possible)
You damn ferrari guys have me watching YouTube videos on the 458. Thanks🖕🏼 Running costs seem reasonable. I'd probably look at a higher mileage one around 30k. They seem to be sitting in new 911S territory on the used market. Maybe after the CS 😁
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #105
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Same here. No more CCBs for me.
Appreciate 1
///M2CS1151.00
      11-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #106
///M2CS
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
You damn ferrari guys have me watching YouTube videos on the 458. Thanks���� Running costs seem reasonable. I'd probably look at a higher mileage one around 30k. They seem to be sitting in new 911S territory on the used market. Maybe after the CS ��
CCB brakes have uneven qualities:
I had a 458 Italia in 2014 in 3 track days they were dead !!!! 13 k €!
Fortunately, on the Speciale and Pista we can do 20 to 30 track days !
BMW CCBs are like those of the 458 Italia! they wear out very quickly 13k € to replace them!
They are not made for the track, as the people from the Motorsport department have confirmed to me, so it's a pleasure purchase that reduces unsprung masses and avoids pad dust.
Only road use !
That’s all

Another very similar anecdote: my Ferrari dealer absolutely wanted me to take the option of carbon rims (manufactured by Carbon revolution in Australia) they reduce the weight of forged rims by 20% but .... they are very fragile! the varnish comes off in intensive use and is irreparable in case of impact!
30 k€ to replace them !

Interesting Isn’t it ?

Last edited by ///M2CS; 11-24-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 3
Bimmed Out1908.50
CSBM52695.50
      11-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #107
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW CCBs are like those of the 458 Italia! they wear out very quickly 13k € to replace them!
They are not made for the track, as the people from the Motorsport department have confirmed to me, so it's a pleasure purchase that reduces unsprung masses and avoids pad dust.
Only road use !
That’s all

Another very similar anecdote: my Ferrari dealer absolutely wanted me to take the option of carbon rims (manufactured by Carbon revolution in Australia) they reduce the weight of forged rims by 20% but .... they are very fragile! the varnish comes off in intensive use and is irreparable in case of impact!
30 k€ to replace them !

Interesting Isn’t it ?
Do you know who makes the ceramic discs on the speciales and pistas? This is one reason I didn't spec CCB. I couldn't confirm what version of disc this was on the CS. Current bmw spec, or something more closely specced like pccb. Some of the current gen CCBs are able to take a lot of abuse. Thanks for posting your info and experience with other brands. Very helpful and informative. Shows the wide range of financial positions that have taken interest in the CS.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #108
///M2CS
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Do you know who makes the ceramic discs on the speciales and pistas? This is one reason I didn't spec CCB. I couldn't confirm what version of disc this was on the CS. Current bmw spec, or something more closely specced like pccb. Some of the current gen CCBs are able to take a lot of abuse. Thanks for posting your info and experience with other brands. Very helpful and informative. Shows the wide range of financial positions that have taken interest in the CS.
Brembo is the main manufacturer of CCB discs But many qualities of discs exist,
they depend essentially on 2 factors:
the carbon content and the degree of pressure / temperature exerted for their production
the quality of AUDI BMW MERCEDES CCBs is basic and presents a desire for road use in particular good cold use
the high resistance CCB discs and the pads assigned to them offer less good cold use (Ferrari, Porsche) but their resistance to high temperature and wear is much higher
the development of CCBs on road sports is above all marketing,
it is important to know this before deciding
      11-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #109
LukasM2CS
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS, BMW 440i

Quote:
Only road use !
That’s all

30 k€ to replace them !

Interesting Isn’t it ?
I totally agree with you. CCB reduce weight (looks good), works very good for normal use but you must be very careful on track days. One friend of my have M2CS with CCB and after 3 track days (normal careful driving - same as me with normal brakes) he have to replace 2 sets of brake pads and now eve the disc don't look very good. He will definitely replace the CCB.
It's simple, if they were as good as they say so why wouldn't they have them on M2CS Racing
Appreciate 2
///M2CS1151.00
Bimmed Out1908.50
      11-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #110
///M2CS
Lieutenant
France
Rep

https://www.brembo.com/en

Last edited by ///M2CS; 11-24-2020 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0