BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Rear turn indicator failure

View Poll Results: Have your M2C rear indicator units failed?
Yes 135 63.68%
No 77 36.32%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

10-26-2020, 12:00 PM   #177
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I had the error come back, after having a bunch of stuff replaced at the dealership two months ago. Here is a link to my service record of everything that was done.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=222

I contacted my dealership and they will be looking at my car on Monday. When I was there, there was another guy (with a regular 2-series) having the same problem. I spoke with him and explained everything I know and the thoughts from this thread. With that, my dealership now sees for themselves that it's not just me with the issue. So it's not just me they have to deal with anymore, which should help get things resolved.

I'm bowing out of investigating the cause of the error myself. I don't have the technical experience to diagnose it, nor do I have the time to gain that experience or mental capacity to debate theories right now. So much other things going on in my life that I have to focus on. I'm still working with my dealership and telling them everything I know, but other than that I am putting it in their hands to figure out a solution.

*For those who have had the issue come back, how long after the repair did you see it come up again?
Just got back from the dealership... So previously, I thought they replaced both right and left taillights and control module. I showed them errors for both right and left, so that's why I thought that both were replaced.... Looking at the repair record I linked above, they only replaced the left side. Since the error I got the other day was for the right side, I guess technically the issue didn't come back for me.

Anyway, they ordered a right taillight for me. Even though they can't find anything visibly wrong with the taillight.

Also, he explained this issue is covered from two years after replacing the parts, so I am good to have this stuff repaired after my warranty is expired.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #178
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Also, he explained this issue is covered from two years after replacing the parts, so I am good to have this stuff repaired after my warranty is expired.
Good to know.
Is this a BMW decision, or is it just your dealer honoring that limited warranty?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #179
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Good to know.
Is this a BMW decision, or is it just your dealer honoring that limited warranty?
It's the nature of the warranty on the parts themselves. The BMW Parts Warranty.

"All Genuine OEM BMW Parts and Accessories come with a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty valid at any BMW dealership across the United States."

So let's say you get the tail light error and they replace the tail light on the last day of your new car warranty... the replacement taillight has a two year warranty of it's own that will cover the tail light if the tail light breaks.

This is an additional reason to go to the dealership for this tail light issue, instead of coding out a questionable warm check. If BMW wants to continually replace different parts, blindly hoping one of them is the problem... well you get a 2 year warranty on each of the parts that were replaced, starting the day they were replaced. So it's kinda like a 2 year extended warranty, that only exists for parts that BMW replaced on your car. If BMW replaces every single part that might possibly be causing the tail light error, while you're under factory warranty, you get a 2 year warranty, specific for that part, starting each day that new part was installed.

However, I imagine this probably doesn't also cover fixing the tail light issue specifically when you are outside of warranty. I'm not sure BMW is always gonna replace your tail light every time you get the tail light error. Or continually replace parts they've already replaced after the issue comes back. Eventually they might say something like "Maybe we should try replacing your DME instead". And if you're out of factory warranty, well you would have to pay for the DME to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #180
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Also, the poll in this thread is stupidly flawed.

"Have you ever had a tail light failure? Yes or no"

Anyone who answer no initially cannot change their answer if they get the error after they've voted.

So don't take the data from this poll to mean anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #181
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Yeah, I voted ‘no’ and recently got the issue.
Had my rear left replaced yesterday.
Keeping my fingers crossed for now.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #182
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Had both mine replaced on 3/20

Not an issue since
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 10:22 PM   #183
luis_M2C
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I dropped off my vehicle at the dealership today (Austin, TX) due to the same issue. I started noticing the right rear turn signal malfunction a few weeks back and finally got a chance to take it in. I was able to snap a picture and show my advisor and tech. After a few hours, they called me and told me they are replacing the rear tailight. I am picking up my car from the dealership tomorrow and will provide an update with all of the details.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #184
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

How fast can a tech replace the tail light assembly?
My dealer replaced mine in like 15-20 min. Got me wondering if it was really replaced lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #185
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
How fast can a tech replace the tail light assembly?
My dealer replaced mine in like 15-20 min. Got me wondering if it was really replaced lol.
Yes it's easy and fast. I removed my rear taillight in my driver way with a screw driver in 5 mins. The lights are plug and play with maybe 2 connectors if I recall...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #186
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
The dealer replaced both rear lights.
We’ll see how it goes

It has been over 3 months. The problem disappeared completely and didn’t come back.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #187
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Has anyone discovered the source of the issue... If it's the tail light assembly, what specifically in it is the problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:00 PM   #188
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

Had my right rear light replaced two weeks ago, now yesterday the rear left had the malfunction. I bought this car 3 weeks ago and it's already been to the dealer 3 times. So damn annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 02:34 AM   #189
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Does this happen with the m240 as well? Aren't they the same lights?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 05:26 AM   #190
Kattanah
Petrol Head
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: Current: F87 M2C, Jeep Wrangle

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I dropped my car today for the same issue. Dealer will be replacing both taillights.

But few interesting observations:

1. The fault used to appear mostly during day time at high temperatures. I rarely had the issue during early morning and evening rides when the weather is cooler

2. The dealer informed me that they have seen the same fault across different BMW platforms with LED taillights

"not too little, not too much"
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 07:16 AM   #191
AAWehbeh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Sadge

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
I think this must be a relatively common problem. About 5 months ago i had a notification stating (turn indicator rear right failure) where the indicators would flash rapidly when activated. Took it into dealership. The fault didn't repeat for them of course and the fault code hadn't stored, so i was sent on my merry way. A couple of months down the line it happened again. I made sure to take pictures/video this time. Also had an ABS failure, rear diff failure and stability control failure. Fortunately this was just from a faulty front ABS/wheel sensor which got replaced under warranty. This time they replaced the whole right rear cluster and the problem was resolved. Anyway, the left one has failed now. Fun stuff. Have any other people had one or both rear indicator units fail? Guess it doesn't help the stereotype.
Dead ass this just happened to me. My left rear indicator was faulty same issue it when i use the indicator it would flash rapidly. Took it to service and they replaced the whole cluster. Next morning took it out for a joy ride and guess what... Rear right indicator doing the exact same thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #192
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceCity View Post
Guys pls list what dealerships you are taking your cars to and they are actually repairing them for free. My dealership refuses to replace this. I need not just tail lights, but a whole new tailgate. BMW has let cars to sell with malfunctioning error, they need to be responsible for damages. I am hoping to find another dealership that will cover me.
If you have a defective taillight with this error, any dealership will replace it for free.
Why would you need a new trunk for a LED tail failure? Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #193
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I wanted to code the DRL for the taillights but worried they'll blame that when this issue arises.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:24 PM   #194
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcouchh View Post
If you have a defective taillight with this error, any dealership will replace it for free.
Why would you need a new trunk for a LED tail failure? Lol
My dealership isn't replacing it because they saw a post from another user on here (who is now banned) claiming I illegally modified my car. There is melt marks in my trunk, caused by a clear bmw defect. We all know it's a bmw issue, not user errors
What did you modify?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:53 PM   #195
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My dealership isn't replacing it because they saw a post from another user on here (who is now banned) claiming I illegally modified my car. There is melt marks in my trunk, caused by a clear bmw defect. We all know it's a bmw issue, not user errors
What 'illegal' mods?

That's different I guess, sucks and now I worry about fires and shit based on various posts I've seen
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 10:02 PM   #196
dannywong321
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition 2018 f87

Garage List
Thanks Poochie for the solution. I had the rear left indicator malfunction pops out and indicators flickers on my 2018 Sept M2C. Problem solved after I coded out the "warm check".

But now I have another problem, my rear left indicator occasionally gets about 50% dimmer. I did not notice the problem until someone told me about it.

Anyone has the same problem? Thanks guys.
Attached Images

Last edited by dannywong321; 12-02-2020 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #197
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannywong321 View Post
Thanks Poochie for the solution. I had the rear left indicator malfunction pops out and indicators flickers on my 2018 Sept M2C. Problem solved after I coded out the "warm check".

But now I have another problem, my rear left indicator occasionally gets about 50% dimmer. I did not notice the problem until someone told me about it.

Anyone has the same problem? Thanks guys.
I think you should probably read the whole thread before using the "coding" option.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #198
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattanah View Post
But few interesting observations:

1. The fault used to appear mostly during day time at high temperatures. I rarely had the issue during early morning and evening rides when the weather is cooler
Total coincidence.
My issues happened on a cool early morning, and at night. lol
Appreciate 0