BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C - Share your Journey

10-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #2025
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
I guess I'm too busy on my side street to check it as soon as I leave the driveway. Plus I'll do a reset and it takes a while before it shows pressures.
But I stand by my thought that its within 1 psi.
Reset takes a while , i agree but regular tire pressure it displays pretty quickly
      10-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #2026
CKr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
As you speed up, the beams rises up evenly and spread more light output and as you decelerate, it drops back down and pans back in.. Its not brighter, just more active: they all cap out at 35 watts, universally.

Its a very simple concept, a speed-dependent operation of the beam patten.

The assumption is that the faster you are traveling, the further ahead you would need to see. So the system fawn the beam pattern out further.

The US stock setting would just keep the projector beams at one level height and pace, without much movement, erring one the side of safety and keeping within US automotive lighting regulations.

You'll also notice the beam response to steering inputs are much more sensitive. Your lights will be a lot more "Adaptive"..

Pay attention carefully, you'll notice as soon as you hit between 25 to 30 mph, the light beam lift off ��
I don't know, I always get a kick out of that..

Keep your fellow owners here updated, I'm sure they are all eager to try it.

Poochie does VLD coding only work on the 2021 models? My 2020 (3/2020 build w/ adaptive headlights) doesn't seem to have the same affect, or I'm having a very difficult time noticing. Turning my headlights to auto in my driveway doesn't seem to spread the light out any differently than before coding.

As for anti-dazzle, the only thing I noticed is that my drivers side light will turn off for oncoming traffic. No tunneling.

I realize this is off topic for this thread, so happy to take this to PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #2027
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKr View Post
Quote:
As you speed up, the beams rises up evenly and spread more light output and as you decelerate, it drops back down and pans back in.. Its not brighter, just more active: they all cap out at 35 watts, universally.

The assumption is that the faster you are traveling, the further ahead you would need to see. So the system fawn the beam pattern out further.

The US stock setting would just keep the projector beams at one level height and pace, without much movement, erring one the side of safety and keeping within US automotive lighting regulations.

You'll also notice the beam response to steering inputs are much more sensitive. Your lights will be a lot more "Adaptive"..

Pay attention carefully, you'll notice as soon as you hit between 25 to 30 mph, the light beam lift off ��

Poochie does VLD coding only work on the 2021 models? My 2020 (3/2020 build w/ adaptive headlights) doesn't seem to have the same affect, or I'm having a very difficult time noticing. Turning my headlights to auto in my driveway doesn't seem to spread the light out any differently than before coding.

As for anti-dazzle, the only thing I noticed is that my drivers side light will turn off for oncoming traffic. No tunneling.

Yes, 2021 model year is the same the others, so it can be coded.

The lighting system is usually more prominent when the vehicle is traveling at a higher speed and not when stop and stagnant.

I suggest recheck the coding and go for a longer ride.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      10-30-2020, 10:11 PM   #2028
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The lighting system is usually more prominent when the vehicle is traveling at a higher speed and not when stop and stagnant.

Coded the beams up before dinner

On my way off the mountain mine stared to bright this slow old black van in front of me lol

I watched the beams suddenly zero into his side mirrors and light his ass up, they did that for a second and then turned off

Dude got mad and started slowing down to about 20 on a 55 where traffic moves at 70

We got to the passing lane and I dropped a gear ready to

As I was going by him he lobbed a bottle right over the top of me

Missed me and was all good..

Nobody else seemed mad at me that I noticed and the lights were dancing all over the place.

Pretty crazy to see them working that much

Thanks poochie👌🏼
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      10-31-2020, 03:28 AM   #2029
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

On my way off the mountain mine stared to bright this slow old black van in front of me lol

I watched the beams suddenly zero into his side mirrors and light his ass up, they did that for a second and then turned off

Dude got mad and started slowing down to about 20 on a 55 where traffic moves at 70

Nobody else seemed mad at me that I noticed and the lights were dancing all over the place.

Thanks poochie👌🏼
It's such a shame that driver has to go waterless there rest of his drive...If the driver is anything like me, I get thirsty on my drives. It's funny how Americans get pissed off with some minor high-beam action. In many parts of the world, flashing your high-beams is a polite way to ask slower drivers to let cars behind past. Much better than dangerously tailgating someone or honking your horn.

Glad you like the adaptive lights in full action. I had some oncoming driver flash me because the lights did not adjust quick enough. But I personally think this is one of the greatest BimmerCode changes I made
      10-31-2020, 04:00 AM   #2030
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks poochie👌🏼
God, some degenerate driver throwing something at my car is why I keep some bail money stashed and a lawyer on retainer but I digress..

I'm an extraordinarily conscientious driver, I am well-aware of my surrounds and have my vehicle outfitted with 4K cameras, front to back, running off its own dedicated power source, to replay incidents, when I felt I needed a mulligan, on any poor driving maneuvers..

Point is, I honestly never noticed the light beam, with the anti-dazzle high beam active, glaring anyone.

You can literally see how the light beams forms and how it pivots away from the vehicle directly in front of me and where the light output cut-off line ends.

It works pretty well IMO and if I felt it was glaring anyone, I honestly would of been more socially responsible and not of recommend this coding.

However, as effective as the technology is, there can be scenarios where it might not be a 100% full-proof. This is not due to an error in coding, by more so the limitations of the current form of technology being utilize and overall roadway infrastructure of where it is active.

This is yet another reason why this technology is not yet approved stateside; BMW only lab-test this light operation and the US governing bodies on automotive headlight standards requires that all testing and approval, regarding the efficiency and possible limitations of these features, be done in the field (i.e. actual US roadways). This makes sense since differences in headlamp beam patterns, traffic patterns, and roadway geometries are likely to produce conflicts in experimental results between North America and other countries, especially with regard to glare.

https://www.campaignlive.com/article...-claim/1402100

So, to avoid any more disgruntled drivers from hurling Evian bottles your way, I suggest only use the feature only on specifically long, dark, winding roads or when their are already a limited amount of vehicles on the road.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
      10-31-2020, 11:31 AM   #2031
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

I am dazzled by this article.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      10-31-2020, 04:12 PM   #2032
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Poochie

I submitted my M3C build this past week . . . I suspect 3-4 month wait to ensue.

At any rate, if you look, there is a 'decoding for no-dazzle high beam assistance.' Does that mean this feature will be activated in my vehicle?

Really not sure what individual shadowlne lights are, but I picked them nonetheless.

///AVM
Attached Images

Last edited by ///AVM; 10-31-2020 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 2
JCZ51482.50
Red229627.00
      10-31-2020, 04:24 PM   #2033
MovingChicane
Been there and back...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four inc. a '21 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Poochie

I submitted my M3C build this past week . . . I suspect 3-4 month wait to ensue.

At any rate, if you look, there is a 'decoding for no-dazzle high beam assistance.' Does that mean this feature will be activated in my vehicle?

///AVM

FWIW, I have that same 5AP option on my 2021 M2C which is waiting for a boat right now.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      10-31-2020, 04:29 PM   #2034
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingChicane View Post
FWIW, I have that same 5AP option on my 2021 M2C which is waiting for a boat right now.
For all I know, my M2C had same 5AP and I never paid attention to it until Poochie schooled the forum on the topic. . . and represents BMW's way of saying the feature is deactivated in U.S.???

///AVM
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      10-31-2020, 04:32 PM   #2035
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Poochie

Really not sure what individual shadowlne lights are, but I picked them nonetheless.

///AVM

No, it's actually the opposite; the vehicle has the capabilities available but "5AP" is a block code.

Notice how it says "[COLOR="DarkRed"]de[/COLOR]coding..." meaning that the feature will be castrated, before it hit the North American shores.

The good news is that the block code means that with a little effort, it can be coded back on.

You're lucky you can even get laser lights (high beams only) here, considering that lasers are not only regulated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration but also the Food & Drug Administration, since it's classified as medical equipment and required BMW to jump through a lot of bureaucratic hoops to even get approval for even the watered-down version the US market is allotted, so I guess you should count your blessing..

Side note, why didn't you just wait for the AWD G8X? Seems like the logical choice, if I was going ZF8. 🤷🏻

baucratic

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
      10-31-2020, 04:45 PM   #2036
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, it's actually the opposite; the vehicle has the capabilities available but "5AP" is a block code.

Notice how it says "decoding..." meaning that the feature will be castrated, before it hit the North American shores.

The good news is that the block code means that with a little effort, it can be coded back on.

You're lucky you can even get laser lights (high beams only) here, considering that lasers are not only regulated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration but also the Food & Drug Administration, since it's classified as medical equipment and required BMW to jump through a lot of hoops to even get approval for even the watered-down version the US market is allotted, so you should count your blessing, I guess .

Side note, why didn't you just wait for the AWD G8X? Seems like the logical choice, if I was going ZF8. ����
Poochie

Awesome! . . . your response that is. Wish the 'dazzle' were active, but I have lived without it this long. Odd to me that this one feature is mentioned as being 'decoded' or, as you say, deactivated? I mean, I am sure there are many other just like with our M2C. Why did they point out this one feature?

As far as AWD goes. . . truthfully, I just wanted the RWD. Given all the hp/torque with the S58 I realize the AWD option makes great sense AND can be shifted to RWD if desired. Still, I guess I did not feel the wait was worth it to me.

Plus, I want to get the M3C and have it for a reasonable amount of time before the G87 M2C comes out . . . we will see if the G87 will entice me out of the G80 M3C at that time?

At any rate, do not want to derail this thread with too much G80/87 stuff . . . I still LOVE my F87 M2C!!! Enjoy driving it every single day!!!

///AVM
Attached Images

Last edited by ///AVM; 10-31-2020 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 3
Poochie9099.00
smknjoe234.00
M2Crew219.00
      10-31-2020, 05:17 PM   #2037
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Notice how it says "[COLOR="DarkRed"]de[/COLOR]coding..." meaning that the feature will be castrated, before it hit the North American shores.

You're lucky you can even get laser lights (high beams only) here, considering that lasers are not only regulated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration but also the Food & Drug Administration, since it's classified as medical equipment and required BMW to jump through a lot of hoops to even get approval for even the watered-down version the US market is allotted, so you should count your blessing, I guess .

Side note, why didn't you just wait for the AWD G8X? Seems like the logical choice, if I was going ZF8. ����
Poochie

Awesome! . . . your response that is. Wish the 'dazzle' were active, but I have lived without it this long. Odd to me that this one feature is mentioned as being 'decoded' or, as you say, deactivated? I mean, I am sure there are many other just like with our M2C. Why did they point out this one feature?

As far as AWD goes. . . truthfully, I just wanted the RWD. Given all the hp/torque with the S58 I realize the AWD option makes great sense AND can be shifted to RWD if desired. Still, I guess I did not feel the wait was worth it to me.

Plus, I want to get the M3C and have it for a reasonable amount of time before the G87 M2C comes out . . . we will see if the G87 will entice me out of the G80 M3C at that time?

At any rate, do not want to derail this thread with too much G80/87 stuff . . . I still LOVE my F87 M2C!!! Enjoy driving it every single day!!!

///AVM

They itemized the 5AP ( and 8S4 - Variable Light Distribution) block to distinguish the fact that the headlights are capable of a those features but it has been disabled, thus, the headlights now function with a different modus operandi than it was originally engineered to accomplish, where it might not be allowed.

Vehicles without this designation are physically incapable of the aforementioned European-style glare free high beam function and therefore doesn't require the option (5AP) code that would explicitly block it.

It's easier from them to bridle the feature(s) with software and just remove the block, if that said region allows the feature, than designing vastly different versions of the same light, just to meet regulations.

Anyways, there are more nerdy trivia I wanted to share about the G8X's AWD, headlights and taillights, etc but we are already veering way off-course, so we'll save that for another session.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      10-31-2020, 07:04 PM   #2038
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Can we have a thread called random thoughts from Poochie? Also I want to get your thoughts of random cars I am pitting against each other. As ///AVM is aware, I have a major love for the Lexus LC500 as of late. Clearly I'm looking for a nice GT car
      10-31-2020, 07:08 PM   #2039
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Can we have a thread called random thoughts from Poochie? Also I want to get your thoughts of random cars I am pitting against each other. As ///AVM is aware, I have a major love for the Lexus LC500 as of late. Clearly I'm looking for a nice GT car
JC

I started this thread. . . I want everyone to feel welcomed to share their enthusiasm.

Share whatever thoughts you like. . . share your journey

///AVM
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      10-31-2020, 09:23 PM   #2040
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

I think it was a combination of a few things mostly only suspicions

The van I was following was category 5 beater with tail lights that would barely qualify as road legal. It also had dark I assume black paint.

The road I drive is pitch black.

Most of all I'm suspicious my windshield replacement may have messed up the front camera in my car. It had to get it replaced under warranty early in the cars life.

Who know why it happened.

But other than the 1 time they seemed to be pretty awesome.

As an American consumer it's really cool tech and makes the executive package worth a lot more to me.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      10-31-2020, 09:40 PM   #2041
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's such a shame that driver has to go waterless there rest of his drive...If the driver is anything like me, I get thirsty on my drives. It's funny how Americans get pissed off with some minor high-beam action. In many parts of the world, flashing your high-beams is a polite way to ask slower drivers to let cars behind past. Much better than dangerously tailgating someone or honking your horn.

Glad you like the adaptive lights in full action. I had some oncoming driver flash me because the lights did not adjust quick enough. But I personally think this is one of the greatest BimmerCode changes I made
Very true..

Being that salty on the road is thirsty business.
Kinda feel bad for the guy now. Lol

But honestly I'm pretty sure my regular low beams even get me flashed every now and then.

So I'll just keep testing the adaptive for a while and see how the rest of the world feels about me after a month or two.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
///AVM2528.00
      10-31-2020, 11:00 PM   #2042
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Very true..

But honestly I'm pretty sure my regular low beams even get me flashed every now and then.

So I'll just keep testing the adaptive for a while and see how the rest of the world feels about me after a month or two.

Just because it's now active, doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, obviously.

I admire the technology but once the honeymoon period was over, I now only use it on long highways, road trips or when no one else is on the roadway, to avoid possible glaring anyone.

I would say the system 90% effective but that 10% margin of error can apparently result in empty water bottles flying your way, so I suggest you use it with proper discretion.

Also, you've mention that your windshield was replaced, you might want to make sure whoever did the swap, properly recalibrated the KAFAS camera and rain sensor, those devices work in tandem with the aforementioned glare free high beam operation.

I've notice that on one of the loaner cars I had (see below) the dealer must of apparently replaced the windshield but not properly reinitialize the front camera because to the vehicle was throwing some shadow codes related not being calibrated, which auto-disabled the GFHB.

Not saying this is your case but a little heads up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      10-31-2020, 11:11 PM   #2043
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
JC

I started this thread. . . I want everyone to feel welcomed to share their enthusiasm.

Share whatever thoughts you like. . . share your journey

///AVM

I assumed that this thread was created to discussed the, to be named later, new features on then upcoming 2021MY M2C.. **cough** - no Adaptive Suspension*

However, now that you mentioned you were given free rein to discuss whatever your heart desires, allow me to blow your mind with some quirky details about your upcoming G80 machine.

The taillights are slightly different in operation and light layout are slightly different between the US Spec vehicle and the rest of the world.

Details here:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24680672
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      10-31-2020, 11:12 PM   #2044
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Very true..

Just because it's now active it doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, obviously.

I admire the technology but once the honeymoon period was over, I now only use it on long highways, road trips or when no one else is on the roadway, to avoid possible glaring anyone.

I would say the system 90% effective but that 10% of margin of error can apparently result in empty water bottles flying your way, so use it with the proper discretion.

Also, you've mention that your windshield was replaced, you might want to make sure whoever did the swap, properly recalibrated the KAFAS camera and rain sensor, those devices work in tandem with the aforementioned glare free high beam operation.

I've notice that on one of the loaner cars I had (see below) the dealer must of apparently replaced the windshield but not properly reinitialize the front camera because to the vehicle was throwing some shadow codes related not being calibrated, which auto-disabled the GFHB.

I'll have to scope that out..

How do I find whatever screen you're looking at there?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 11:20 PM   #2045
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very true..

Just because it's now active it doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, obviously.

I would say the system 90% effective but that 10% of margin of error can apparently result in empty water bottles flying your way, so use it with the proper discretion.

I'll have to scope that out..

How do I find whatever screen you're looking at there?
That's an aftermarket copy of a dealer diagnostic program called ISTA+ I've used. There is no such thing as an official copy of that system, unless it's sanctioned by BMW AG and connected to their real-time servers.

However, now with just something like the Bimmerlink app, you can easily read any shadow codes, without having to run an intricate program like ISTA for any such task. Good times for the average DIYers..

It's good to have because BMWs sometimes can generate a lot of hidden issues but it never triggers an actual Check Engine light, if the problem is not specifically emission or drivetrain related.

You need a program or APP like what I've mentioned to be able to properly interrogate the vehicle's modules, outside of the main engine ECU.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
      11-01-2020, 06:11 AM   #2046
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I assumed that this thread was created to discussed the, to be named later, new features on then upcoming 2021MY M2C.. **cough** - no Adaptive Suspension*

However, now that you mentioned you were given free rein to discuss whatever your heart desires, allow me to blow your mind with some quirky details about your upcoming G80 machine.
Poochie

Yes, the thread had an initial intent pertaining to the 21' M2C and 'new' features that, as it turned out, were non-existent.

Still, lots of enthusiasm about the M2C, including the journey toward acquisition, so the thread remained vibrant. . . and the thread title was changed.

Sharing the journey is a very broad topic, and a big part of the journey has become 'ask Poochie,' as well as enthusiasts just sharing and asking whatever comes to mind about the M2C.

If fellow enthusiasts want to delve off into tangents/topics others find interesting, I am all for it. I think most who have explored the thread and participated have benefitted from the experience . . . or, at least, I hope that to be the case.

///AVM
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00