BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > 6MT vs DCT & exhaust sound - performance

02-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #67
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Looking forward to also let you this year row the M2 6MT gears in the twisties.
Guys if I plan to go there later this year, will you recommend me some route across the Alps which is the best in your experience and I would really enjoy it?
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      02-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #68
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Guys if I plan to go there later this year, will you recommend me some route across the Alps which is the best in your experience and I would really enjoy it?
Sure! Just send us a OM when you are ready. I am sure we can recommend some passes to drive. Or maybe you could join us - once we have a date for this summer's tour.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #69
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Let us know what you think of the UCP. For me, it stiffened the pedal, shortened the throw and put the release point where I like it. It goes hand in hand with an SSK, as well, if you are so inclined...
Did you fit the spring or leave it out?
      03-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #70
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
It was also a really difficult decision for me...and I also tested both cars. I doubted it almost till the day my M2 was delivered. But in the end I thought that over time a manual gearbox would keep me longer entertained even if it makes the car slower. The manual for me is also more fun and more engaging... something that fits well with the M2. Time will tell if I made the right choice, but for now I'm happy with the manual even with the clutch feeling not being the greatest.
The manual gearbox of the M2 feels that it is designed for people who are not used to driving manuals and IMO it's not the greatest manual gearbox…in standard form. The M2 clutch pedal is somewhat sticky (and slow) when you want to release it fast, when going full throttle and wanting to change up gears. The pedal travel is also very long (and soft) with not a lot of feel and comes really high when you release the clutch (a clutch stop can not cure this). IMO it's a big difference with my Z4M and for me the "standard" clutch feel of M2 is the only relative downside that is worth mentioning about the car. I tested two other M2’s with manual gearbox and they all have the same clutch feeling, so it’s designed this way and not a fault on my car.

I got somewhat used to it after driving the M2 for 2.500km and I can certainly live with it, but for me it was the only thing they could actually improve on the car…..and I did improve it on my car! After 3.500km I fitted the UCP replacement clutch pedal and it made everything I did not like about the standard M2 clutch go away. This modification is cheap and gives a night and day difference on how the M2 clutch feels. I love it and love my M2 even more

03-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #71
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
The manual gearbox of the M2 feels that it is designed for people who are not used to driving manuals and IMO it's not the greatest manual gearbox…in standard form. The M2 clutch pedal is somewhat sticky (and slow) when you want to release it fast, when going full throttle and wanting to change up gears. The pedal travel is also very long (and soft) with not a lot of feel and comes really high when you release the clutch (a clutch stop can not cure this). IMO it's a big difference with my Z4M and for me the "standard" clutch feel of M2 is the only relative downside that is worth mentioning about the car. I tested two other M2’s with manual gearbox and they all have the same clutch feeling, so it’s designed this way and not a fault on my car.

I got somewhat used to it after driving the M2 for 2.500km and I can certainly live with it, but for me it was the only thing they could actually improve on the car…..and I did improve it on my car! After 3.500km I fitted the UCP replacement clutch pedal and it made everything I did not like about the standard M2 clutch go away. This modification is cheap and gives a night and day difference on how the M2 clutch feels. I love it and love my M2 even more

Looks great. Is the shifter itself better than Z4M in your opinion? I liked it, but I did have a lot of grinding and issues getting into 2nd gear. Clutch was perfect after CDV delete.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #72
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Looks great. Is the shifter itself better than Z4M in your opinion? I liked it, but I did have a lot of grinding and issues getting into 2nd gear. Clutch was perfect after CDV delete.
Just out of curiosity, do you think the M-performance Pedal covers will fit on this?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #73
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lop00 View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you think the M-performance Pedal covers will fit on this?
Not sure, I don't own the pedal, the poster I quoted does though .
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #74
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:

I was able to drive a MT M3. Is the feel of the clutch peddle the same in the M2? Any comparisons?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #75
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lop00 View Post
The standard rubber covers of the M2 pedal fits perfectly, so any other pedal cover will fit also...
      03-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #76
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
I was able to drive a MT M3. Is the feel of the clutch peddle the same in the M2? Any comparisons?
I have only driven the M3/M4 with DCT...so no idea
      03-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #77
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Did you fit the spring or leave it out?
Kept it in, with setting on Sport. If I futz with thing any more, it will be to take the spring out for a little more resistance. At least one other person on this board tried the Race setting, and the description wasn't so good. But the combination of the Sport setting and the built in stop really makes the pedal much more pleasant to operate.

As I've said, I'm also a fan of a SSK with this set-up. You really ought to try it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #78
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
I test drove a stick M4. Pedal feel was indistinguishable from the M2, as best as I could remember how the M4 had felt.
Appreciate 1
STK215.50
      03-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #79
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Kept it in, with setting on Sport. If I futz with thing any more, it will be to take the spring out for a little more resistance. At least one other person on this board tried the Race setting, and the description wasn't so good. But the combination of the Sport setting and the built in stop really makes the pedal much more pleasant to operate.

As I've said, I'm also a fan of a SSK with this set-up. You really ought to try it.
So sport is the middle setting and standard the hole most away from the pedal?
I'm now driving without the spring, but want to test with the spring...I forgot which side goes up of the spring
Did you also haven to get used to the fact that the UCP clutch pedal is nog slightly lower then the brake pedal? Standard it used to be higher then the brake pedal and felt way to high when releasing the clutch. With the clutch stop in place it is a really short throw clutch....

Last edited by Franzino; 03-15-2017 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #80
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
So sport is the middle setting and standard the hole most away from the pedal?
I'm now driving without the spring, but want to test with the spring...I forgot which side goes up of the spring
Did you also haven to get used to the fact that the UCP clutch pedal is nog slightly lower then the brake pedal? Standard it used to be higher then the brake pedal and felt way to high when releasing the clutch. With the clutch stop in place it is a really short throw clutch....
Sport is the middle setting. It is stiffer than stock, but by no means stiff. I'm not sure which one is "standard" as I was completely uninterested in it, because my understanding was that it was if anything actually lighter than stock, if you can imagine that.

Did not take me more than a couple minutes to get used to the pedal placement elevation on Sport. It felt just right to me, as did the new pedal throw.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #81
cab33
Rep
Drives: 2009 Viper

Does the manual get those good exhaust crackles and burps like the dual clutch?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #82
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Question: I am gearing up to buy an M2.
Hearing some of the complaints about the MT in the M2's 6MT, it reminds me of the 135i I am currently driving (later model N55).

On my 135, I added the stopper that reduces clutch overtravel and I love it - Best $10 you can spend on one of these cars if it overtravels (and apparently the M2 does).

I also uninstalled the clutch delay valve, which if you're not familiar, only allows fluid to travel through a pinhole - the net effect is the clutch engagement is mushy and vague - probably to appeal to masses who are not very experienced with MT.

Is anyone aware whether the M2 has a clutch delay valve?
If so, removal of it should make clutch engagement much more defined.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #83
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab33 View Post
Yes. To get the most crackles and bangs go into Traction/MDM mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 10:32 PM   #84
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Yes. To get the most crackles and bangs go into Traction/MDM mode.
Does the manual make as much pop and bangs as the auto?

Would be keen to hear more about how much difference there is between the auto and manual in terms of noise. I'm obviously guessing you don't get those bangs on the up shift? Would only guess they sound similar on decel?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:10 PM   #85
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
It sure does

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post

Would be keen to hear more about how much difference there is between the auto and manual in terms of noise. I'm obviously guessing you don't get those bangs on the up shift? Would only guess they sound similar on decel?
Manuals make noise when you lift off the throttle and on downshifts. You don't get that farting noise on upshifts like you do with a DCT. In my opinion the 6MTs sound better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post

It does, but it's hidden in the slave cylinder

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 12-12-2019 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2019, 06:59 PM   #86
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
It might just be my imagination, but I feel like the DCT sounds louder than 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #87
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
It might just be my imagination, but I feel like the DCT sounds louder than 6MT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Really? Spent a bit time in both a DCT and MT? Care to share more thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #88
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
It sure does

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post

Manuals make noise when you lift off the throttle and on downshifts. You don't that farting noise on upshifts like you do with a DCT. In my opinion the 6MTs sound better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post

It does, but it's hidden in the slave cylinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post

Manuals make noise when you lift off the throttle and on downshifts. You don't that farting noise on upshifts like you do with a DCT. In my opinion the 6MTs sound better.
Great - the farting on the up shift is pretty lame. Have that in my current golf R.
Appreciate 0