BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Did you skip the Xpel or Suntek PPF

12-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #23
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry1518 View Post
Did not skip. In fact getting it done tomorrow. I like my cars being in like-new cosmetic condition (regardless of cost). After a year or so, the sand blasted and chipped paint would get on my nerves and make me appreciate the car less. At the very least, I would wrap the front bumper and headlights which would cut the cost by quite a bit.
Same!

I too, am NOT skipping PPF when I get my M2C.

I like all my cars minty FRESH. Be it Day 1, or Day 6,234.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #24
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry1518 View Post
Did not skip. In fact getting it done tomorrow. I like my cars being in like-new cosmetic condition (regardless of cost). After a year or so, the sand blasted and chipped paint would get on my nerves and make me appreciate the car less. At the very least, I would wrap the front bumper and headlights which would cut the cost by quite a bit.
Where u getting it done henry? just sent my car in yesterday
i didnt do it for my 135 but doing it for this one because i plan to keep this for as long as i can.
not sure how much financial sense it makes, but peace of mind is nice
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #25
Henry1518
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Spyder, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Where u getting it done henry? just sent my car in yesterday
i didnt do it for my 135 but doing it for this one because i plan to keep this for as long as i can.
not sure how much financial sense it makes, but peace of mind is nice
I'm using American Wrap Company. They are mobile too.

https://www.americanwrapco.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #26
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

http://www.enviousdetailing.com/

Picked up my car yesterday from them for a full track package clear bra. My buddies M2c is there right now doing a clear bra install now.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #27
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
it's for the current owner. You wash your car, because you want it to look nice. You ppf your car, because you want it to look nice. You don't wash you car because of the next owner.
Keep telling yourself that. I washed mine, stripped it, coated it for less than $250 with new applicators and all. That being said, a sucker is born every day..

Oh I didn't originally think this way. I thought it was a waste of money.

Then I kept getting chips. Then more chips. Every time I looked that front I was getting more annoyed. I tried touching it up, but it still looked awful. When I drove I would become paranoid about more flying stone chips and if I heard one hit I would dread looking at it to see the new damage

So got the front bumper resprayed. Had to wait a while for it to off gas. Then got PPF. I couldn't wait to write that check. For me totally worth it, wish I would have done it immediately. Easier to wash too. At no point was I thinking about the next guy. Now I'm in the hole the cost of PPF, the respray, and lost value from respray maybe, and the pain in the ass dealing with it all.

To me I know it was worth it, and I recommend it to everyone who wants to keep their car looking new and drive it worry free from stone chips. There is dollar amount I'll pay for that.

If you don't care about stone chips or can't afford PPF, then by all means, don't get it.
Appreciate 3
heavyD^23684.00
MDuckie93.00
      12-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #28
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

I skipped on my current 2017 M2, no chance in hell will I skip when I pick up my comp.. In fact, I will not drive it until I go get it PPF protected.
      12-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #29
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
http://www.enviousdetailing.com/

Picked up my car yesterday from them for a full track package clear bra. My buddies M2c is there right now doing a clear bra install now.
In orange county huh? How much do they charge for their track package? Maybe I'll get my comp done there when I get it
      12-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #30
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaing51 View Post
I skipped on my current 2017 M2, no chance in hell will I skip when I pick up my comp.. In fact, I will not drive it until I go get it PPF protected.
tbf you live in Palmdale, there are a lot of lose rocks on the highways there and a ton of wind
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #31
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
tbf you live in Palmdale, there are a lot of lose rocks on the highways there and a ton of wind
I haven't really gotten the chips from Palmdale roads, mainly canyon roads
      12-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #32
Fenerbahce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Thanks for posting this thread, as I believe everyone that reads these forums is feeling pressure to PPF! That's at least how I felt, but I just couldn't make sense of it from a practical or financial perspective.

During the 10+ years you have the PPF, it's likely you may need to respray anyway because of some sort of parking lot incident that the PPF doesn't protect. Any sort of collision (or large stone) scenario means it is money down the drain. Even if it stays perfect, you will hardly get any of that investment back if you decide to resell it. Plus, the thought of having to sink more money into it after no more than 10 years isn't that appealing. I've believe the longer the film stays on the car, the harder it will be to remove (not a simple peel off). Has anyone actually tried taking this stuff off after 10+ years? Can you really be sure the paint under the PPF will look exactly the same as the rest of the car in the long term given that every product seems to be brand new? I'm yet to be convinced but have a little more time to think about it as the M2C hibernates for the winter.
mikeahso411.50
      12-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #33
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaing51 View Post
I haven't really gotten the chips from Palmdale roads, mainly canyon roads
not crapping on palmdale just my experience when I used to visit a friend there.

Maybe its just my experience but its always super windy.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #34
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Oh I didn't originally think this way. I thought it was a waste of money.

Then I kept getting chips. Then more chips. Every time I looked that front I was getting more annoyed. I tried touching it up, but it still looked awful. When I drove I would become paranoid about more flying stone chips and if I heard one hit I would dread looking at it to see the new damage

So got the front bumper resprayed. Had to wait a while for it to off gas. Then got PPF. I couldn't wait to write that check. For me totally worth it, wish I would have done it immediately. Easier to wash too. At no point was I thinking about the next guy. Now I'm in the hole the cost of PPF, the respray, and lost value from respray maybe, and the pain in the ass dealing with it all.

To me I know it was worth it, and I recommend it to everyone who wants to keep their car looking new and drive it worry free from stone chips. There is dollar amount I'll pay for that.

If you don't care about stone chips or can't afford PPF, then by all means, don't get it.
I really doubt cost is the issue when we're driving 65k cars, but moreover the unnecessary application of the film for most of us as most will not track the car. Ceramic coat the car for $250 and unless it's a big ass rock, it'll be fine.
      12-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #35
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
How is the paint on these cars anyway? I got my car completely wrapped in Suntek after arrival so it could be the worst paint ever for all I know. I haven't been impressed with the water based paints used on Japanese cars as it's soft and mars and chips easily. Also my 2016 Golf R paint was pretty mediocre as well.
I have no scientific data to back it up, but I feel like the paint chips pretty easily compared with other vehicles I've owned. Might be I'm just hyper critical too.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #36
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
not crapping on palmdale just my experience when I used to visit a friend there.

Maybe its just my experience but its always super windy.
Oh I know, just saying from my personal observation living there. In the city, it would be super rare to get any sort of damage since everyone usually drives slow. Come visit again!
      12-15-2018, 06:41 AM   #37
JWMII
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLE53, GLA 250

To each his own

Quote:
I really doubt cost is the issue when we're driving 65k cars, but moreover the unnecessary application of the film for most of us as most will not track the car. Ceramic coat the car for $250 and unless it's a big ass rock, it'll be fine.
Clearly this topic is a matter of perspective. I agree that if you can afford $65k on a car, $3k for PPF is not an issue. For me, the PPF is worth the money because I want to preserve the original paint. I have zero intentions on giving this car back or trading in in a few years. Preserving the original paint from damage is not something ceramic coating can do. My 135i was banged up up front after a few years and that's not going to happen with this car. I can't see having to trust a paint shop to perfectly match the HS repainting for rock chips. If that's your cup of tea, have at it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #38
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMII View Post
Clearly this topic is a matter of perspective. I agree that if you can afford $65k on a car, $3k for PPF is not an issue. For me, the PPF is worth the money because I want to preserve the original paint. I have zero intentions on giving this car back or trading in in a few years. Preserving the original paint from damage is not something ceramic coating can do. My 135i was banged up up front after a few years and that's not going to happen with this car. I can't see having to trust a paint shop to perfectly match the HS repainting for rock chips. If that's your cup of tea, have at it.
I've owned a set of slammed cars sitting at the house right now since I was practically first able to drive and neither have destroyed front ends. One of the cars has been raced quite heavily, too. All I've ever done is coat the cars. Cheap, easy, works. No worries, your choice how to spend your money. Some people believe these cars should not be modded, so it goes to show everyone has their own opinion
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #39
JWMII
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLE53, GLA 250

AGREED!

Quote:
I've owned a set of slammed cars sitting at the house right now since I was practically first able to drive and neither have destroyed front ends. One of the cars has been raced quite heavily, too. All I've ever done is coat the cars. Cheap, easy, works. No worries, your choice how to spend your money. Some people believe these cars should not be modded, so it goes to show everyone has their own opinion
We've found common ground
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #40
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Everyone has a choice. That said, why bother with ceramic coating; more shine, ease of care? To your point, arguably money poorly spent on a $65K +/- car. It does nothing to protect against any rock chips. Of course, PPF will not protect against BA rocks.

All said, I am all for PPF as I do not find paint patina attractive.

Last edited by devo; 12-15-2018 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:52 AM   #41
Twinsturbo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton AW MT

Is the film letting UV-radiation thrue? That is a thing ive been thinking about. Covering half the car in film that reflects the radiation and then letting the rest of the car "suffer"?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:54 AM   #42
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsturbo View Post
Is the film letting UV-radiation thrue? That is a thing ive been thinking about. Covering half the car in film that reflects the radiation and then letting the rest of the car "suffer"?
Not an issue...
      12-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #43
Twinsturbo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton AW MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Quote:
Not an issue...
Can you explain why its not an issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #44
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Can you explain why its not an issue?
Because the clearcoat already blocks UV.
Appreciate 0