BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Drag race: BMW M2 Competition vs BMW M2 vs Alfa Romeo 4C vs Lotus Exige 350 Sport

12-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #23
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
You don't need a technical thesis to explain which car is faster..

The M2 has a more top-loaded tune which allows it to pull ahead of the M2C but it blows its load sooner and runs out of breath by the time the M2C starts pulling ahead, at full boost..

It doesn't matter who had the better launch, there is enough distance to accommodate for error and for each car to stretch their legs, showing who has the most endurance, i.e. faster..

As far as the Alfa C, it's 1,000 pounds lighter than the M2C and possible tune, so that explains its advantage on it pulling ahead.

I have a N55 motor and I know exactly when it runs out of breath due to its single turbo and lack of fuel supply..

The N55 is great motor but the S55 parallel turbo and dual fuel pump set up is always going to trump a single turbo. No race needed to confirm that..
Maybe I missed... In which part of the video exactly did the M2 pull ahead of M2C? Do you mean the start of first two races where both DCT M2 and DCT M2C drivers were sleeping and reacted decades later than the 6MT M2 driver?
I guess that's sarcasm but yes:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:23 PM   #24
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

That guy said the M2C has the "M Sport engine". WTF.
      12-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #25
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
This is AWESOME. I was a physics major, and it never occurred to me that this is what was going on. The power of cognitive biases and illusions! But after your explanation, makes perfect sense!
Respect. My dad did his P.laya h.atin D.egree in Physics.

Of ANY discipline out there, it is the one which makes me:

(I was an Electrical Engineering major, but took a quantum mechanics class which I loved. Even though I got a 'C.' )
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      12-02-2018, 02:03 AM   #26
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Nobody noticed the girl when she waved the starting flag? Best part(s) of the video imho.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50
      12-02-2018, 02:11 AM   #27
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
To really observe the difference in acceleration among the 3 M2s in the video they should have also included a rolling start race so the cars and do the work (I believe another YouTube channel with a bunch of drag races always include standing and rolling start races)

From a launch driver skills and reaction time play too much of a factor. Regardless it's clear the M2C is significantly quicker
This.
I think some of the 2ertalk.de OG M2 members (if they see the video) now will agree with me M2C is significantly faster than OG M2, OG M2 not being a slouch either....

FWIW. It's about track/drifting/going through turns more than accellerating, but if it would not accellerate that fast(both OG and M2C) there is also less fun. An M2/C with 100HP less isn't as 'fun' in this case. It's the whole package. Balance/steering/turn in/chassis/POWER(torque)/Lsd/rwd etc.

If you erase POWER almost all fun will be gone.....
So it's just necessary to have power.

What is an F1 car with 900kgs(inc driver and full tank) with only 500HP....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
Karmic Man1996.00
      12-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #28
Maximoosh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

The comp isnt standard watch the previous video from joe achilles which contains that very car and he mentions a remap or tuning box. So not apples to apples.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #29
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02M3 19X3M40 on order 21 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It lost to an Alfa 4C. There are plenty of street cars that can keep up. Like every single new Mustang GT and Camaro SS. Just sayin.
Alfa is about 1000lbs less than M2C
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #30
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The M2C is faster, big surprise there..

Seriously, it is, you can actually see the extra power propelling the car forward..

But take into consideration it's manual vs a DCT, for what that's worth..

Great test video, confirms that there are very few street vehicles that could keep up with the M2C..
It lost to an Alfa 4C. There are plenty of street cars that can keep up. Like every single new Mustang GT and Camaro SS. Just sayin.
You have to look at the big picture; you're getting a German engineered M vehicle, that can efficiently and comfortable get up to 60mph in 4 seconds and stop the action just as quick..

I'll take that anyday over a Chevy or Ford..

Folks that work on those American-made vehicle reveal that they are made with plastic, cheap, throwaway parts and the engineering as not as thought-of as their German counterparts.. Yes, they can haul ass due to their gas-guzzling, larger displacement motor.. If they weren't fast, what would they be?

Or the Alfa with its limited dealer network and niche acceptance the US, I wouldn't exactly classify those an average street car..

When is last time you seen an Alfa in the 'hood?
I love German cars but , Actually the new American sport coupes and sedans corner faster , have better more modern suspension design ..... AND bigger, more powerful ,better sounding motors lol . They are faster on track because they handle significantly better . As total cars it's your opinion what's better/ more enjoyable for you as always .
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #31
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 GTS View Post
Quote:
Alfa is about 1000lbs less than M2C
And the Alfa had some sort of tune I read...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #32
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
The black color of the m2c hides it's ugliness in a great way. The new grille style is horrible but black grille on black car is the way to go.
With the og style wheels it would look awesome!

Still, sounds worse than og but slightly better than m3/4.

The drivers where too inconsistent for me to give this comparison validation, the variations in results where all over the place even though the outcome was the expected one. Sort of when carwow raced the manual m2 against dct versions of its bigger brothers..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #33
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Would take the Lotus over all of them...any day.
      12-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #34
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximoosh View Post
The comp isnt standard watch the previous video from joe achilles which contains that very car and he mentions a remap or tuning box. So not apples to apples.

Can't be right?

Why wouldn't they mention that?

Although apparantly the 4c had a tune which wasn't disclosed.

This whole video is questionable now lol
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #35
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
Thought M2c wouldve been a lot faster that - for sure faster than the OGM2 but not by much (bummed)

That 4c is a bad ass...I don't like the looks though
That's the worst color, go figure.
      12-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #36
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
+1000. I agree 100%. I can't believe nobody has said this yet.
      12-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #37
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Love the Lotus!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #38
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:
I’m even more bummed now - i’m definitely reconsidering dropping +30K on the M2c
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #39
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
I’m even more bummed now - i’m definitely reconsidering dropping +30K on the M2c
I wanna see the video that he's taking about. I looked at pretty much all recent videos of Joe Achilles and couldn't find a single one with him having this black M2C (license plate of the M2C is "4 BRV" if interested).
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #40
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Can you please share a link to the video that you are talking about?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #41
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
That's the problem with all these "races." Basic physics. Trying to launch a car at exactly the same time and get a perfect hookup on both cars (or three at a time) is extremely difficult for 99% of drivers. Now put them on a strip and put pro-level drag racers behind the wheels, and we'll get some consistency going. Just look at the first couple of races where the blue M2 launches way ahead of the other two cars. These aren't actual races of the cars as much as examples of the driver's abilities to launch on time (not too early, not too late) and being able to hook hard off the line.

The same thing happens in roll-on comparisons. For whatever reason (well, it's a standard human bias actually), the majority of people don't understand time versus distance versus velocity when they see it in action. They let their eyes fool them into what they think is obvious but in fact 100% false.

Take two absolutely identical cars, with everything exactly identical and driven absolutely identically. Put them in a roll-on battle. The driver in car A hits the throttle 0.2 seconds quicker than car B. Off they go. What happens? Car A will continually open up the gap between the two cars as they accelerate. Most watch and proclaim car A is "faster". I mean, LOOK! It continually increased the gap between itself and car B!! How can it not be faster?

Because it's not. They're identical and accelerating identically. The difference is the initial time gap to start the acceleration run. It's within typical human reaction time too. The cars will always be 0.2 seconds apart since they are accelerating identically but starting with a different initial condition.

By 60mph, car A will be 17.6' ahead of car B. By 120 mph, car A will be 32.2' ahead, and at 155mph car A will be 45.5' ahead. All in attendance will proclaim car A the "faster car" (even though they are absolutely identical).

The same thing happens on a track when even announcers proclaim how one car "pulls away" from the other behind it only to be "almost caught" in the next corner. These cars are likely near identical too and driven very well, so in fact there isn't any "faster car down the straights" but instead the car in front will *always* be on the throttle ahead of the 2nd one exiting the turn onto the straight. The identical cars doing identical laps times will *always* show the car in front "pulling away" from the car behind as velocity increases on a straight. Always...since they are doing exactly the same lap times, the time gap between them remains constant, so the distance between them will always vary as a function of velocity (assuming they are doing exactly the speed at every point in their lap time, i.e. perfectly identical cars/drivers). The net of it is that what needs to be evaluated is the time gap between the two cars, not the distance gap. Eyes see distance gap differences and trick the brain into making false conclusions.

Whew! Sorry for the brain dump here...two cups of coffee will do that.
Agreed. All those drag race videos are compketely pointless and are intended as click baits.

The best way to compare the acceleration capabilities of different cars is timed acceleration runs. Even better, is to average multiple samples.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #42
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
Love the Lotus!
Same here and the Lotus does not have the big Scrotus either, I meant muffler.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 12:36 AM   #43
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
?? How so??

If it did have a tune then the gap would be much smaller if it was to run in stock form.

Or do you currently have one on order and are about to lose 30k?

Idk people...if I lost that much on a car I probably wouldn't like it just for that sour fact lol
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:10 AM   #44
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post
?? How so??

If it did have a tune then the gap would be much smaller if it was to run in stock form.

Or do you currently have one on order and are about to lose 30k?

Idk people...if I lost that much on a car I probably wouldn't like it just for that sour fact lol
I have an M2c on order, plan to trade in my 2017 but not sure it’s worth it now ... especially considering I would have to add big dollars to fix the horrible muffler and ok wheels . might just wait for next next generation… Maybe one with an S58

I am still crazy happy with my m2 ...just obsessed with the sunset orange -that’s all
Appreciate 0