BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > *** bootmod3 *** XDI Fuel Pump (HPFP) Support - Now Available!

12-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #23
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
Hey Guys,
I am going to be doing this soon as well.
I will be having TTFS dyno tune my car once the pump is installed. I look forward to sharing my results.
What are your other supporting mods?
Are they doing a custom BM3 map, or in-house custom flash tune?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #24
Raymondo1234
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

I can't find my previous logs.....I had them on a usb drive but I can't find it anywhere. (I will blame the wife, but more than likely it's my forgetfulness)

I have the p3 gauge with a boost tap, it's consistently showing 19.8 - 20.1 top numbers. Granted, this is not tracking the car, and it's only spirited road driving.

I'm going back to ttfs shortly after Christmas for a custom mhd tune on 93, and also a separate e tune. Obviously, the logs will be much easier to post (and find) once this is done, and I will oblige.

I'm not sure how 93 stacks up to uk's 99 Ron (I am originally from England) but I've always used shell both sides of the pond for any car.

Ethanol is within 5 miles of me, so looking forward to the results!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #25
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
I haven't decided yet. Since TTFS is so close to me, I might just use their flash tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondo1234 View Post
I can't find ethanol anywhere near my house.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #26
Raymondo1234
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't decided yet. Since TTFS is so close to me, I might just use their flash tune.

Quote:
I can't find ethanol anywhere near my house.
Try this

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethano...location=20910

And this is good to know how much to put in our tank for the right blend. Our tank is 13.7.

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethano...location=20910
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      12-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #27
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Yup, none near me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #28
Raymondo1234
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here is my car just got it back today, snow everywhere so can't let it rip yet. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 12:46 AM   #29
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Anyone already using BM3, can go to their Map Config (ANY MAP) and select XDI Pump option and it will work save and reflash.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 01:39 AM   #30
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Anyone already using BM3, can go to their Map Config (ANY MAP) and select XDI Pump option and it will work save and reflash.
Man that's pretty convenient, wish they had flexfuel and precision racewerks coil support, that would be a sweet setup.
      02-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #31
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Man that's pretty convenient, wish they had flexfuel and precision racewerks coil support, that would be a sweet setup.
What's the deal with the precision racewerks coils? Are people having ignition issues and spark blow out with these ps2/xdi pump setups?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #32
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What's the deal with the precision racewerks coils? Are people having ignition issues and spark blow out with these ps2/xdi pump setups?
Not to my knowledge. The deal with these coils is that you can run a larger gap with upgraded coils on a big turbo + e85 vs. stock without issues. It idles and revs smoother than stock according to alot of users, and the increased reliability vs. stock so you don't have to swap coils every so often to prevent misfires which could damage the motor at higher power levels.

I also prefer not to have to deal with ignition issues at the track, so that's another benefit. Sure stock coils could work no problem, but for ~$500 the cost is well worth the gains imo.
      02-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #33
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not to my knowledge. The deal with these coils is that you can run a larger gap with upgraded coils on a big turbo + e85 vs. stock without issues. It idles and revs smoother than stock according to alot of users, and the increased reliability vs. stock so you don't have to swap coils every so often to prevent misfires which could damage the motor at higher power levels.

I also prefer not to have to deal with ignition issues at the track, so that's another benefit. Sure stock coils could work no problem, but for ~$500 the cost is well worth the gains imo.
Are there many M2 owners using these? This is the first I've heard of them. From what I read, they are plug n play. There's no tuning modification needed, correct? I saw some earlier threads where there was an ignition box needed, but I don't see that on the N55 page.

I think these would suit my build well. I also remember the days of the turbo e36, having to by colder spark plugs every 5k miles and gapping them down to nothing. I don't want to do that crap again.

For less than $500, having increased reliability and smoother operation with an N55 running 20+ psi seems like an attractive offer to me. I'd just like to hear more on this from others.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #34
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am having TTFS flash tune me. I might go mhd or bm3 later down the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #35
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Are there many M2 owners using these? This is the first I've heard of them. From what I read, they are plug n play. There's no tuning modification needed, correct? I saw some earlier threads where there was an ignition box needed, but I don't see that on the N55 page.

I think these would suit my build well. I also remember the days of the turbo e36, having to by colder spark plugs every 5k miles and gapping them down to nothing. I don't want to do that crap again.

For less than $500, having increased reliability and smoother operation with an N55 running 20+ psi seems like an attractive offer to me. I'd just like to hear more on this from others.
Not many on the M2 from what I can see on the forums, but there are present on the F series n55 cars.

They are plug and play yes, in regards to connecting them in and not requiring anything else like custom wiring etc. But you will require the engine cover to be removed completely or modified, the guys in my area cut the cover in half to clear the coils.

They require an ignition box to alter the dwell if the tuning software doesn't support it, but if the dwell tables are accessible via tuning then you can have a tuner modify the dwell tables and then you won't need the ignition box/driver. MHD has this by a checkbox where you tick the box and now every map has the altered dwell tables and is compatible with the coils.

Which is what i'd like to see on bm3 as well.
      02-02-2019, 07:10 PM   #36
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Thanks for that info. I am definitely getting one of these ignition kits. Now I need to find out if TTFS had the dwell tables or not. Why is it that the PR site that lists the kit for N55 engines has no sign of the ignition box?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 08:32 PM   #37
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I am definitely getting one of these ignition kits. Now I need to find out if TTFS had the dwell tables or not. Why is it that the PR site that lists the kit for N55 engines has no sign of the ignition box?
Cool sounds good, post some pic when you're done! Hopefully you can get it to fit with the engine cover, but im not sure if it's possible.

Just contact bm3 maybe they have access to those ignition dwell tables and then you can get bm3 and have ttfs do a custom tune.

I think they just include the ignition driver box by default, and if you have mhd or a tuner that can access those dwell tables you won't have to use it.
      02-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #38
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

I kind of like the idea of the ignition box. It's hardware that's meant to do one job. But I spoke with ttfs and they've tuned these ignition systems before, and told me they can do this without any issue. Regarding the engine cover, I think it's ugly. I'd rather look at the huge blue Hulk Hogan style ignition blocks. LoL 😋
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 04:38 PM   #39
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

I found some conflicting info on their site regarding the N55:

Why choose Precision Raceworks
By designing our own coil we were able to take into account the available dwell time of the N55 as well as the IGBT system being built into the DME. We were even able to take into consideration the ohm load of the factory BMW coil that came in the N55. What this means is our coil looks exactly like the factory coil to the DME maintaining all functions allowing the computer to monitor and react as designed by the engineers at BMW.

Summary
o Precision Raceworks coils are designed specifically for your car

o DME Flashing Not Required
o Designed for optimal dwell time available

o More energy output than any other coil tested

250% more energy than the BMW coil pack
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:42 PM   #40
Raymondo1234
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:59 PM   #41
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Is that your car?
Dang that is sweet!

Was there not enough fuel flow to use a higher E content (for more octane) to hit 500whp?
      02-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #42
Raymondo1234
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is that your car?
Dang that is sweet!

Was there not enough fuel flow to use a higher E content (for more octane) to hit 500whp?
No point going higher than e30....diminishing returns, and it's a daily driver.

93 map back on the car. Will post logs this week.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #43
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I kind of like the idea of the ignition box. It's hardware that's meant to do one job. But I spoke with ttfs and they've tuned these ignition systems before, and told me they can do this without any issue. Regarding the engine cover, I think it's ugly. I'd rather look at the huge blue Hulk Hogan style ignition blocks. LoL 😋
Ahh I see, for me I really hate the additional electronics that come between the ECU and what the car (in this case ignition coils) are supposed to do. It adds an extra failure point and I want the ecu to be in direct control.

I love the engine cover lol, it keeps the engine bay less busy and more clean imo.

Quote:
I found some conflicting info on their site regarding the N55:

Why choose Precision Raceworks
By designing our own coil we were able to take into account the available dwell time of the N55 as well as the IGBT system being built into the DME. We were even able to take into consideration the ohm load of the factory BMW coil that came in the N55. What this means is our coil looks exactly like the factory coil to the DME maintaining all functions allowing the computer to monitor and react as designed by the engineers at BMW.

Summary
o Precision Raceworks coils are designed specifically for your car

o DME Flashing Not Required
o Designed for optimal dwell time available

o More energy output than any other coil tested

250% more energy than the BMW coil pack
Maybe it looks exactly the same to the ecu when the dwell box is in place, but from what I was reading when they launched there was a whole thread talking about dwell table alterations to make the coils work without the ignition driver box. Then the MHD guys added it in as a one tick option for the MHD flasher.

It'd be nice if BM3 did this as well especially since they have a one tick global XDI HPFP selection. It'd be cool if they could do MAFLESS (speed density) as a one click global map selection as well, but from what I've heard speed density is extremely difficult to do as a check box option.
      02-03-2019, 10:13 PM   #44
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No point going higher than e30....diminishing returns, and it's a daily driver.

93 map back on the car. Will post logs this week.
Well not necessarily....

E30 is only ~96 octane when mixed with 93 octane (10% E content), and ~97 octane when mixed with 93 octane (without E mixed). That's not really enough to max out a PS2 to 500whp and 25psi of boost when IAT's climb... Guys normally run E50 and up to max out PS2, which is around 100 octane at the minimum.

Plus you get a better cooling effect when you run on higher ethanol contents, and if you're in the USA there's also the added benefit of fuel savings, but you do burn ~30% more fuel so depending on how cheap E85 is you may end up saving money.

There really isn't too much diminishing returns like you're saying imo, so i'm not sure why you stopped at E30. But that said it is sufficient for a daily driver.