BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Who's running with NO paint protection film?

09-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #23
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Yea for me its a financial issue

I wouldve either spent thousands of dollars getting tbr car xpeled.or get a tune

I went with the tune since my performance guy told id have more fun in the car with tbe the tune meanwhile

I need to play the lottery
Not as pricey as you might think...I got all the important parts done for $2,500. Full front end to doors, rockers and front and back of the rear wheels. Didn't do the roof or mirrors was thinking I might replace with RPK CF roof and M2C mirrors...we'll see. has already saved the front bumper and the hood a few times from the looks of it. Whoever said $8K is getting ripped off...or maybe they are wrapping the car in gold leaf??

Also...tune is only $700?? It's all the other stuff to take advantage of the tune that piles up, lol (DP $1k, FMIC $800, CP/BP $150, Intake $1K, Exhaust $3.5K, Turbo $3K...etc.)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #24
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

I did PPF and paid quite a bit less than $8,000 for Xpel Ultimate, which was the best available at the time. If I remember correctly, I paid:
$1,100 for custom front bumper, pre-cut headlights and door mirrors
I paid to have the front bumper done professionally, because I knew it was a complex part, and wanted the best coverage possible with minimal edges etc. I did however want to learn PPF install myself, so I bought Xpel Ultimate in pre-cut pieces for $733, covering the following parts:
  • Full Hood
  • Full fenders with extensions to wrap edges where possible
  • Full rocker panels with extended coverage which included a large section in front of the rear wheel and a small section behind the rear wheel on the bumper
I therefore got quite a bit of coverage for under $2,000. I'm so happy with the finish that I'm considering getting a couple of bulk pieces to do the doors, but I've not found the time to do that yet. Obviously I ceramic coated the whole car after doing the PPF.

I really enjoy the challenge of learning things like this, which is also why I did my own window tint, but that's a different story.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2018, 09:02 PM   #25
cbmmm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 RX8, 2017 M2, 2020 M2CS

Zaino.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #26
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Full 3500$ Cad wich is aroung $2650us so you got to shop around.

Xpel Ultimate Plus
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 10:58 PM   #27
stulio2181
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Full Xpel Ultimate here on an '18. After 12k miles I can see a few places where it saved the underlying paint. Mostly on the hips and a few on the front bumper. I think it's a peace of mind investment (five thousand dollars) on a sweet ride I plan on keeping a long time. Like others have said, to each his/her own. It totally depends on your risk tolerance to road debris.
Appreciate 2
PLF693762.50
      09-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #28
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

not too fussed about a couple of chips here and there, babying is a non-ending endeavor to me. people say its saved the paint on occasions, which generally means the film has to be replaced in that particular area which is $. i do my best to keep it in shape with the right detailing, washing and sealants though.

Generally, after 4/5 years, if its too chipped, itll end up being more cost effective to just get the front bar repainted..

If I had a 911 gt3 or the like, id have a different attitude though haha
      09-09-2018, 10:14 PM   #29
JackyStuntin
JackyStuntin
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Me right here lol, got a rock chip 30 minutes after I picked up the car from dealership
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #30
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I am starting to loose faith in PPF. My last two cars with it have had impacts go all the way through it needing the hoods repainted anyways. On my M2 with 4k miles a rock tore (I know its there but from a couple feet away you cant see it) the hood piece and another impact has left permanent marks on the bumper. I am getting to the point of I don't care. I have tried all the films and none take a big impact with out damage. On a dark colored car with PPF all the impact look like chips anyways.
Bazgab132.00
M2guru374.50
      10-02-2018, 09:29 PM   #31
Stef
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

No.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:21 AM   #32
Peasley
General Moron
England
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI MT & E30 Drift Slag

I only drink decaf coffee now. Unfortunately regular coffee gives me heart palpitations and makes me feel quite 'on edge'. It started about four years ago when moving house. My Italian father in law came round to help on moving day and brought round a full flask of espresso quite rightly thinking that I would have already packed up the kettle.

With all the stress and running round I more or less necked the flask in the space of twenty mins not realising the strength of the hot beverage within. I set off in the van to take the first load of furniture to the new house and on the way things took a pretty nasty turn for the worse and I literally felt like I was preparing to do a bungy jump. My heart was going like the clappers and had to pull over and lie down in the grass. A passer by pulled over to check I was ok and proceeded to call an ambulance I think assuming things were fairly severe.

After being checked over the paramedic concluded that I had had a panic attack brought on by excessive caffeine consumption, so from that day onwards I haven't touched another drop of caffeine - no coffee, tea, coke, nothing.

So yes, that is why I only drink decaf.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #33
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
I am starting to loose faith in PPF. My last two cars with it have had impacts go all the way through it needing the hoods repainted anyways. On my M2 with 4k miles a rock tore (I know its there but from a couple feet away you cant see it) the hood piece and another impact has left permanent marks on the bumper. I am getting to the point of I don't care. I have tried all the films and none take a big impact with out damage. On a dark colored car with PPF all the impact look like chips anyways.
While Ive found the film to be 'self healing' with minor scratches, no such phenomenon occurs with rock dings that visibly impact the film such that you can see and feel it with your finger nail. Matter of fact, some of these impacts appear white on the film on a dark car. Whether that's due to wax, I'm not sure. But at least, while the film appears to be put under such duress, I'd rather have the film take the impact, even though its visible, rather than the paint! That's my bottom line with film. PPF is a sacrificial layer that will show some damage, but provided it doesnt go through to the paint, can be removed and reapplied.. Much bigger deal if it were the paint itself.
kfscoll208.50
      10-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #34
jessetaylor1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW LCI

No PPF. Not spending 10% of the cost of the whole car on it. Didn't think it was worth it, but God damn this car takes rock chips to the face like I wouldn't believe.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #35
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessetaylor1 View Post
No PPF. Not spending 10% of the cost of the whole car on it. Didn't think it was worth it, but God damn this car takes rock chips to the face like I wouldn't believe.
You can do the complete bumper, mirrors, rocker panels, hips,and rear deck lip for under $1500 and get some decent protection for not a lot of $$
      10-04-2018, 10:20 PM   #36
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
You can do the complete bumper, mirrors, rocker panels, hips,and rear deck lip for under $1500 and get some decent protection for not a lot of $$
That all depends on where you live and the market forces in that area.

I'm surprised more people don't try doing it themselves. It's certainly not what I'd call easy, but it's possible and fun to learn. The cost of the material is not low... About 50% of the cost of the job, and you'll waste some learning, but once you're done one car, you can do future ones and save a bit of money.

PPF basically eliminates and prevents swirl marks. Once you've seen swirls, you cannot un see them, and I'm thankful of that aspect of PPF as well as the protection from stone chips.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #37
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
I have had PPF on several cars and am coming to the same conclusion. On my M2 I have a rock strike or two on the hood that have gone through the film and 3-4 strikes on the bumper/fenders that did the same thing. There are a lot of spots where the film did its job but is now shredded, just looks awful. These spots definitely bother me more than having a white car and having any of the seams showing up from collecting dirt.

I have only had the car for a year and a half and can't see myself keeping the PPF on the car past 2 years. I paid about $1200 for bumper, hood, and fenders so I feel like that was worth it to me but will most likely not go this route again.
      10-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #38
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Quote:
I have had PPF on several cars and am coming to the same conclusion. On my M2 I have a rock strike or two on the hood that have gone through the film and 3-4 strikes on the bumper/fenders that did the same thing. There are a lot of spots where the film did its job but is now shredded, just looks awful. These spots definitely bother me more than having a white car and having any of the seams showing up from collecting dirt.

I have only had the car for a year and a half and can't see myself keeping the PPF on the car past 2 years. I paid about $1200 for bumper, hood, and fenders so I feel like that was worth it to me but will most likely not go this route again.
Just curious, what film do you have on your M2?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #39
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Just curious, what film do you have on your M2?
Suntek Ultra but I have had more experience with XPEL products in the past.
      10-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #40
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Quote:

Just curious, how many miles have you put on your M2?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #41
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAMackAttack View Post
Just curious, how many miles have you put on your M2?
16.4k miles. It is my DD, sees about 9-10k miles a year.
      10-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #42
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Quote:
16.4k miles. It is my DD, sees about 9-10k miles a year.
Ok wow so not that many miles. I'm sitting here kind of concerned as my car sits in the detailer awaiting PPF on the front clip....
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #43
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAMackAttack View Post
Ok wow so not that many miles. I'm sitting here kind of concerned as my car sits in the detailer awaiting PPF on the front clip....
Yeah, not a ton of miles per year. My wife's minivan is used for any longer trip.

If you have never had PPF before I would say go with it to see if you like it. I am kind of into car washing/detailing so the imperfections in the PPF over time just start to bug me and other than taking the PPF off there is nothing to really do about it.
      11-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #44
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
lets see all my ppl who got no ppf on their car