BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Pre LCI oem headlights to LED bulbs??

08-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi, F87 M2 AW EXEC

Pre LCI oem headlights to LED bulbs??

Question? I hate Oem bmw HID headlights not bright they are D1S HIDs probably 4300k. Has anyone ever changed these out to brighter HIDs or even now people are doing LED bulb conversions?

I am considering trying it. Wondering if it runs hotter and will melt anything or if it's direct swap no wires to ballasts?

Has anyone tried yet
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

Check if your bulbs are aimed properly, mine were horrible, I couldn't see anything on a dark road. After I adjusted them it made a huge difference, they were pointed all the way down. 4300K is supposed to give the best light output but I installed Osram CBB and these bulbs are way more brighter than the OEM Philips. I think its worth the upgrade to Philips XV2, Osram CBI or CBB.

LED runs way more cooler and don't need a blast but not as bright and less coverage than HID, not worth the trouble rewiring and coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMF87 View Post
Check if your bulbs are aimed properly, mine were horrible, I couldn't see anything on a dark road. After I adjusted them it made a huge difference, they were pointed all the way down. 4300K is supposed to give the best light output but I installed Osram CBB and these bulbs are way more brighter than the OEM Philips. I think its worth the upgrade to Philips XV2, Osram CBI or CBB.

LED runs way more cooler and don't need a blast but not as bright and less coverage than HID, not worth the trouble rewiring and coding.
Hmmm how do you adjust it? Mine are aimed lower because my car is lowered so my lights are shooting more down. Do you have pics of upgrading bulbs? I wouldn't mind brighter HIDS. Bmw HIDS suck
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

There is a hole in the engine brace bar with plastic screw inside, turning it right lowers the beam and left raises it. Measure the the distance from the ground to the center of the projector, find a wall with a leveled surface, put your car 25ft from the wall and aim your beam cut off 2 inches lower than what you measured your center projector height.

I don't have pics of upgrading the bulbs, you have to remove the wheel and pull back the fender liner to access the bulb. BMW uses Philips 4300K, nothing wrong with them you most likely don't have them aimed properly. Mine came from the factory aimed to the ground, yours and others might be too.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMF87 View Post
There is a hole in the engine brace bar with plastic screw inside, turning it right lowers the beam and left raises it. Measure the the distance from the ground to the center of the projector, find a wall with a leveled surface, put your car 25ft from the wall and aim your beam cut off 2 inches lower than what you measured your center projector height.

I don't have pics of upgrading the bulbs, you have to remove the wheel and pull back the fender liner to access the bulb. BMW uses Philips 4300K, nothing wrong with them you most likely don't have them aimed properly. Mine came from the factory aimed to the ground, yours and others might be too.
Thanks for the info! No I think my lights used to be aimed okay till I lowered my car. Nothing wrong with these OEM HIDS I just want brighter more crisp night try OSRAM cbb. Let me know if you can provide pics of the screw to adjust lights and a night shot of your lights shooting on a wall or road.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0