BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 to M2C

10-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #89
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
And if you're only looking at 0-60 times with 0.1s difference between the two and that's about it and want to discuss that, we can better discuss the physical differences between Scarlett Johansson & Margot Robbie. Suits me better.

Cheers
Robin
Personally I lean toward Scarjo, but I wouldn't kick Margot out...
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8714.50
      10-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #90
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Even for daily the difference in mid range punch is huge. The huge rush of torque from a tuned s55 is awesome on the street for 30-60 mph passing or getting onto a highway on-ramp.
You maybe right, but most of us don’t tune our cars. Stock to stock there isn’t much difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #91
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
The turbo is (almost) maxed out, not the N55 itself. This is an all too common misconception on these forums.
I was referring to the unit as a whole. Most people don't buy an M2 intending to perform such extensive mods as swapping out the turbo. If that's the case the S55 can be slapped on with bigger turbos and make a boat load of power as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #92
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
I just want to point out that you're making a lot of claims that are based on limited driving time in each vehicle rather than fact.

And the OG M2 is a bit castrated from the factory, adding a downpipe and tune can really open it up and make up for the seat of the pants difference most people compare the M2 and M2C to. Which is good enough for 99% of people, especially if they aren't trying to shave off 1/10ths of a second per lap on an actual track.

You're right. OG M2 as i said is a FANTASTIC car. Most people would be happy with it. Downpipe and a tune does make it more fun. However it's not just felt in the racetrack. It's felt everywhere you drive at WOT above 3k revs.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #93
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Where did they let you test drive a m2c and take it to 7600 rpm?
Traded my CTR with a friend for a day. We were both extremely impressed with each others cars

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #94
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I don't doubt the C is an amazing car, but it's not without its cons as well, for my specific usage plans.
I didn't mention earlier that this will be a year-round daily driver.

As I see it, here are my pros and cons on the C:
Pro:
- Programmable M buttons
- Better punch in the upper RPM range
- Front parking sensors
- Improved steering (though the OG can probably be tuned to match)

Con:
- The brakes. The upgraded brakes will only be of any benefit on the track, so for me they are a big minus. They add a ton more weight and they prevent the use of 18" winter wheels.
- the weight. It may handle as well or better on a track, but those extra pounds will detract from the Bible es and tossability.
- the sound. It can be fixed with an aftermarket exhaust, or at least a mid pipe to mix the exhaust impulses (I'd probably get AA's signature exhaust).
- Higher cost. Just how much is a big variable based on OGs on the market when I'm ready to pull the trigger next spring, but the addition of around $3k in exhaust as pretty much mandatory has to be factored in.

There are a bunch of things to which I am indifferent, like the seats and especially the mirrors. I don't understand why people make such a fuss over the mirror, like it's not a proper M car without a certain type of mirror? Give me a break.

I know the N55 well, as I currently drive a modified 135 (and have been for 6.5 years).

I also have some concerns about the long-term reliability of the S55 and the cost to maintain it out of warranty. You can say it's bulletproof all you want, but the fact is, the more complex a system gets (like the S55 over the N55), the more likely something is to fail and the more expensive it is likely to be when it does. The S55 simply has more parts to go bad.

Anyway, I'm going to reevaluate in the spring. It would be silly to get either right now going into the New England winter.

I'm sure as you know the S55 is not a new motor. It's been around for years in other M cars and is as reliable as the N55.

A part of the reason why you buy an M car is for the special treatment it gets from the regular models. Yeah, the mirror doesnt have any functionality but for the same money why would you not want a bespoke M mirror rather than a 2 series mirror? It's one of those little things that make owning an M car cool.

The seats are actually better, aside from looking better.

Seems like your mind is set on the OG. I was too like i said. Either way you cant go wrong. Both are fantastic cars. I just wanted to share my experience. Sorry if it made you feel bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #95
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
One thing that might also help make my decision, which will seem silly to some, is if they bring more colors out for MY 2020. I really want MGM. Black is the only color I would get for the C of those currently available.
The CS should get SMB and some other colors I think, maybe a frozen color.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #96
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Am I crazy to think this...

I think the old M2 looks better than the M2C...it has a cleaner look.
Appreciate 1
DanG10568.50
      10-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #97
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Am I crazy to think this...

I think the old M2 looks better than the M2C...it has a cleaner look.
Many people agree.
Appreciate 2
nomoracin758.00
TripleU170.00
      10-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #98
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Haiii View Post
Quote:
I don't doubt the C is an amazing car, but it's not without its cons as well, for my specific usage plans.
I didn't mention earlier that this will be a year-round daily driver.

As I see it, here are my pros and cons on the C:
Pro:
- Programmable M buttons
- Better punch in the upper RPM range
- Front parking sensors
- Improved steering (though the OG can probably be tuned to match)

Con:
- The brakes. The upgraded brakes will only be of any benefit on the track, so for me they are a big minus. They add a ton more weight and they prevent the use of 18" winter wheels.
- the weight. It may handle as well or better on a track, but those extra pounds will detract from the Bible es and tossability.
- the sound. It can be fixed with an aftermarket exhaust, or at least a mid pipe to mix the exhaust impulses (I'd probably get AA's signature exhaust).
- Higher cost. Just how much is a big variable based on OGs on the market when I'm ready to pull the trigger next spring, but the addition of around $3k in exhaust as pretty much mandatory has to be factored in.

There are a bunch of things to which I am indifferent, like the seats and especially the mirrors. I don't understand why people make such a fuss over the mirror, like it's not a proper M car without a certain type of mirror? Give me a break.

I know the N55 well, as I currently drive a modified 135 (and have been for 6.5 years).

I also have some concerns about the long-term reliability of the S55 and the cost to maintain it out of warranty. You can say it's bulletproof all you want, but the fact is, the more complex a system gets (like the S55 over the N55), the more likely something is to fail and the more expensive it is likely to be when it does. The S55 simply has more parts to go bad.

Anyway, I'm going to reevaluate in the spring. It would be silly to get either right now going into the New England winter.

I'm sure as you know the S55 is not a new motor. It's been around for years in other M cars and is as reliable as the N55.

A part of the reason why you buy an M car is for the special treatment it gets from the regular models. Yeah, the mirror doesnt have any functionality but for the same money why would you not want a bespoke M mirror rather than a 2 series mirror? It's one of those little things that make owning an M car cool.

The seats are actually better, aside from looking better.

Seems like your mind is set on the OG. I was too like i said. Either way you cant go wrong. Both are fantastic cars. I just wanted to share my experience. Sorry if it made you feel bad.
Why would it make me feel bad? That's a silly statement. You shared your opinion, which is what I asked for.
I am by no means set on an OG. I merely pointed out that there are merits to the OG in this debate and it's not a slam dunk for the C.
Maybe if money were not a factor at all it would be, but while I can afford it, I am also not in a position to say $10-15k is a non-factor.
If money were truly a non-issue, there are much better cars out there for every single conceivable purpose than an M2C.

Also, I do get annoyed that BMW forces "upgrades" on us with no ability to turn them off without aftermarket coding help (active sound, rev-matching, default to comfort mode with every startup, etc). Every single other manufacturer who offers similar options provides the ability to user configure them. Hell, I test drove a new Mustang GT a few weeks ago for shits and giggles and it has all those things and they are user programmable. In a run-of-the-mill GT.
Okay tangential rant complete.

Who knows, maybe I'll just decide to hang on to my 135 and upgrade the turbo for some ludicrous speed and pick up a cheap Mustang GT for those days when you just need to hear/feel that obnoxiously loud yet sublimely beautiful V8 roar.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #99
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
You maybe right, but most of us don’t tune our cars. Stock to stock there isn’t much difference.
There is heaps of difference starting from the mid range even stock vs stock

Go and test drive a Comp first
Appreciate 3
Robin_NL8714.50
Davil6469.00
M-Pilot4859.00
      10-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #100
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
Many people agree.
Many M2 owners agree

Not many M2C owners agree

Not many non M2/M2C people agree
Appreciate 4
Robin_NL8714.50
Davil6469.00
M-Pilot4859.00
Beakster110.50
      10-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #101
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Many M2 owners agree

Not many M2C owners agree

Not many non M2/M2C people agree
I don't think you are qualified to provide those stats, but okay.

FWIW it's mostly those damn wheels. I like them a lot more on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 09:13 PM   #102
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
There is heaps of difference starting from the mid range even stock vs stock

Go and test drive a Comp first
With 0-60 times .1 second different, I must disagree with you.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #103
Canuckistan
Veni, vidi, vici.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Quote:
Your horse power figures are way off. You quoted engine hp not whp. Whp is 15 to 20% less.
No they aren’t. A stock N55 dynos around 330 rwhp on a dynojet. A stage 1 Dinan m2 dynos around 360 whp.

A stock m2 comp dynos 405 rwhp on a dynojet. A tuned s55 can hit 500 rwhp on a dynojet.
Your N55 numbers are correct, but M2C stock dynos have been coming in right at the BMW published numbers: 405 hp at the crank (not the wheels). Delta is about 35-40 bhp for stock cars.

Appreciate 1
DanG10568.50
      10-21-2018, 11:00 PM   #104
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
Your N55 numbers are correct, but M2C stock dynos have been coming in right at the BMW published numbers: 405 hp at the crank (not the wheels). Delta is about 35-40 bhp for stock cars.
410whp/433wtq on dynojet (CF: STD Smoothing:5 Fuel: 93oct)

397whp/443wtq on dynojet (CF: STD Smoothing:5 Fuel: 91oct)

Appreciate 2
      10-21-2018, 11:12 PM   #105
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:

You don't get it do you?

This thread is so biased.

A fews weeks ago you told me to 'shut up' and only speak when I have my M2C and then talk about the difference between the two cars.

Anyway, whatever man.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
Davil6469.00
      10-21-2018, 11:20 PM   #106
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

This is 'the cognitive dissonance thread'

Any M2C owner still says the OG M2 is also a blast to drive/great car etcetera
M2 drivers bash the M2 C for being the same car but they haven't driven them and the guys who did, drove it way too short and/or are still biased because they already own an OG M2 so they have to dig and find some excuses I hear over and over and over again for not liking/buying M2C.

It's just laughable.

And yes the OG M2 is a great fantastic car. But it isn't flawless. Neither is M2C but some OG M2 flaws ( in my case) have been addressed to with the M2C....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
Karmic Man1996.00
      10-21-2018, 11:47 PM   #107
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Laughable how insecure a lot of you M2c owners are. I feel like a bunch of you are trying to justify your purchase or something ??

It’s a great car - it’s kicks much a** - better on the track then the OGM2 - enjoy it on your track days. stay within the limits on public roads ! Stop being so defensive... it’s unbecoming
Appreciate 4
DanG10568.50
tranck500.50
qnet681.50
      10-21-2018, 11:48 PM   #108
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
You don't get it do you?

This thread is so biased.

A fews weeks ago you told me to 'shut up' and only speak when I have my M2C and then talk about the difference between the two cars.

Anyway, whatever man.

Cheers
Robin
You got me confused with someone else. I have never told anyone to “shut up”.

I have asked for first hand experience from past owners of M2s who now own an M2C.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2018, 12:23 AM   #109
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

And that's me...

I'm going to my dealership now and get my 2000km service done.

This is my 5th //M car, I drift the whole Luyendyk turn @ Zandvoort in my 1M in rainy weather and I'm insecure

Anyway. My point still stands.

Have a nice day with your car.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
DanG10568.50
      10-22-2018, 12:32 AM   #110
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:
And that's me...

I'm going to my dealership now and get my 2000km service done.

This is my 5th //M car, I drift the whole Luyendyk turn @ Zandvoort in my 1M in rainy weather and I'm insecure

Anyway. My point still stands.

Have a nice day with your car.

Cheers
Robin
Was really looking forward to your opinions on the m2 - M2c ...but it’s hard to take you seriously because you’re so illogically defensive

Oh well - i’ll find out for myself soon enough
Appreciate 1