07-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
Xchange43
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 BMW M2 LCI

Another M2 LCI vs Focus RS

Hello everyone,

So i got my M2 2weeks ago, traded my 2017 Focus RS that i didnt really hated but didnt really liked neither.

That car was fun to drive and for the Canadian Winters, it was a great drive.

But overtime, i started having some grips with the Focus that lead me to the M2.

Sure, it's a super enthousiastic car and it's enjoyable to drive with but my main and major concern was always the engine.

It sound like crap and the throttle is like a mushroom or like a sponge..that car as turbo lag until the end of the week and the sound dosent really reward you(abstraction of the tak tak tak rally BS sound artifically made by Ken Block)

Also, materials... yes, this is a Ford... and no you don't expect to be a BMW but for a car like that, you expect some sort of quality out of the "custom parts" for example, the car was squaking from everywhere.. the disc brakes started to rust, the paint started to chip most of the parts under the car were rusted.. that's lame for a car of 16'000km that is always sleeping in the garage, and get washed/desalted during winter.

Overall it's ok, i wasnt willing to keep it for more than that and i had the perfect opportunity to swap the RS with the M2.

Now, on the ride itself, i can tell that the RS, as a FWD has more front end power, you always feel that FWD behavior before the ediff take the load.
It's fast but you also can feel the weight.

On a track day, i went all in and pushed the car to her boundaries as a stock car. I was able to do 6 20min sessions on a tarmac track in Montreal. The brakes faded at the last session and the brake fluid did boiled but that was after i was waiting until the very last minute of breaking so that was expected.

What was funny through, is the fact that the front end can be the issue on the RS, it can be overloaded very quickly and you have to manage how you going in the corners. But as soon as you are in, you can push it as you want, it stay on track. I was passing most of the car during all of my track days and even some Porsche guys coming to me talking and asking if the car was stock, which i said yes the car is stock.

Now on the road, it's another story, the front end has tons of torquesteer which is insane and the throttle is messy.

The M2 on the other hand, has a very nice interior, seems not squaky at all and the car dosent seems to fall appart on each bumps.

On the dynamic side, it's stupid fast... (got 2 speeding ticket in 2 weeks with 7days license suspension 10km after i came out of the dealership)

You have to go at insane speed to feel it, on twisty (closed) roads you can end up to 160 in no time... press the gas 3 seconds and you are gone.

The steering is nice, i need to get used to the electronic steering, which feel a bit elastic but precise. The M2 can be sucked to the group if you want it to be, but you can also make the rear dancing really easily.

Next upgrade will be a FMIC, DP, BM3 Stg2 and brakes upgrades (probably swapping the stock pads for Pagid with RBF660 and steel lines)
Appreciate 3
S1monQc223.50
Spare°257.50
qnet676.00
      07-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

That license suspension must have been expensive hehe!!

Nice comparo
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

I just recently traded in my RS on a new M2. I share some of the same sentiments as you.

The RS was a very fun car, but the amount of torque steer I'd get was downright terrifying at times. Fit and finish weren't really that great even new, and I ended up with way too many noises in the cabin after just 10k miles. Exhaust note is night and day difference between the two cars, M2 sounds so much better.

I'd have to sit down and really think about it, but the only thing that comes to mind that I liked more in the RS was steering wheel feel. It was heavier and just felt more precise than in the M2. I'm sure I'll get used to the new car, just need to put some more miles on her.

Enjoy the new car!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Xchange43
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
I just recently traded in my RS on a new M2. I share some of the same sentiments as you.

The RS was a very fun car, but the amount of torque steer I'd get was downright terrifying at times. Fit and finish weren't really that great even new, and I ended up with way too many noises in the cabin after just 10k miles. Exhaust note is night and day difference between the two cars, M2 sounds so much better.

I'd have to sit down and really think about it, but the only thing that comes to mind that I liked more in the RS was steering wheel feel. It was heavier and just felt more precise than in the M2. I'm sure I'll get used to the new car, just need to put some more miles on her.

Enjoy the new car!
Yes i do agree with the steering feeling.

I had a Lotus Elise 10yrs ago and i felt the same feel as my elise with the RS. However, the M2 has that elastomer feel and i found that when you turn in, it feel like a rubber band that you expand.

The RS had that direct feel.

Now its just a question to drive it. Also same issue, the engine noise in the RS was sub par.

And all the gremlins in the car after 16'000km was insane lol

You too enjoy your drive
Appreciate 1
TheHaze152.00
      08-14-2018, 11:43 PM   #5
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I also had and RS. It was a very fun car. The pops & bangs and gearbox were a joy and added to the whole experience. I agree with you guys about the steering being more direct than the M2. I believe that's why the turning radius is so bad.

I didn't like the slight torque steer and the unstable feeling I got when changing lanes aggressively. Other than those things, the head-gasket issue, and really wanting an M2, I had no issue with the car. It I could have afforded it, I would have kept it along with the M2. It was fantastic in inclement weather.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 12:35 AM   #6
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I believe that's why the turning radius is so bad.
The turning radius was bad because they had to fit the oversized engine in sideways and it left little room on each side. Ford compensated for this with the last iteration offering rear wheel steering.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
DC2RtoCT9Atof87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Another RS trade for M2 here.

I think what everyone has said here has been spot on.

Power- M2 just pulls with it being a little flat up top. With the RS, I honestly never knew when I'd be getting overboost and what sort of power I'd "feel" from the car. At times it felt quite fast, other times it felt very lacking.
Ride quality- both are rough, but the RS is just another level of punishment.
Handling- haven't pushed the M2 yet, but overall steering feel in the RS was better. However, the M2 isn't THAT bad from what people make it out to be on here. Otherwise, the RS felt unpredictable again around corners. It'd push, then rotate.. and then sometimes want to rotate more. You kinda never knew what the computers were going to do.
Insides- M2 quality obviously much better. But I miss a touch screen. (Have a 2017 M2). The RS seats were better.

Overall, I dumped the RS for the headgasket issue. Ford messed up my car after the replacement (had no issues prior to it) and I just didn't trust their work and longevity of the car afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post
The turning radius was bad because they had to fit the oversized engine in sideways and it left little room on each side. Ford compensated for this with the last iteration offering rear wheel steering.
Turning radius is bad on all Focus's regardless of engine. I owned an ST and it also had a terrible turning radius.
Appreciate 1
fullstack337.50
      09-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xchange43 View Post
you always feel that FWD behavior before the ediff take the load.
I felt this driving most AWD Audi models in the canyons as well. Slow in fast out I suppose. It definitely gets the job done but dynamically I prefer more neutral feeling cars. Congrats on the upgrade
Appreciate 0