BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > I'm having serious 2nd thoughts about getting the M2 Comp

06-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #23
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COMPHAMILTON View Post
I was first in line at my dealer, got the allocation and backed out of the deal. I too was afraid of the overall weight of the car and not really sure how pure the car would really end up being. I was looking for a true drivers car for the road. I ended up ordering a Porsche 911 Carrera T. I believe this car is only 3100lbs.
No current BMW is a purist driving experience. Subtract 200 or even 400 lbs from the M2 and it wouldn't change that. You chose well if a more tactile experience is what you're looking for.
Appreciate 3
norMcal284.50
CSBM52721.00
termigni1081.00
      06-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #24
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

I have the same thoughts about getting an m3 instead...
Appreciate 1
norMcal284.50
      06-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #25
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
Only P car I can even consider would be a cayman and the M2c is a better value IMO. If I had the option of getting a GT3 in a couple years I would definitely hold off. GT3 is on a different echelon. I am kind of in the same boat. Don't have an e46 M3 anymore but the M2c will be my "fun" car on top of my DD. I have been toying with the thought of getting an Exige S as a straight track toy but then I'll lose most creature comforts. Even though it won't be a DD, having rear seats, heated seats, good stereo, large cargo area with the seats down, etc would be nice. Obviously, even a used GT3 at 1.5X the cost of an M2c will be a better drivers car.
I have driven my buddy's Cayman S several times, both on and off the track. Great car no doubt, but not really enough of a step up in performance for me. One of the objectives is to get to the next level of track performance. GT4 would work, but if I spend $100k, I might as well spend another 20-30k to get a lightly used 991.1 GT3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H82BL8 View Post
Speaking from first hand experience.
I have previously owned 991.1 gt3
I currently own 991.2 gt3 manual.

The GT3 is an outstanding car in both versions.
The m2 comp is impossible to be compared to experience of a gt3.
The m2 comp will be a fantastic car, no doubt, but it is no GT3.

Go test drive one. You will see that there is value in the GT3 to what you pay for.

Worth every penny.
I have no doubts, it's purely a financial thing holding me back short term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
If you don’t track id skip the Gt3 it’s not a great street car. I’ve driven my 997 Gt3 800 miles on the street in 2 years if that tells you anything. 991 is a bit softer but still m2c would be a better street car you can use every day.
No it's main purpose is the track. I'm not worried about street comfort. I just want to be able to drive to and from the track and occasionally when I feel like it on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COMPHAMILTON View Post
I was first in line at my dealer, got the allocation and backed out of the deal. I too was afraid of the overall weight of the car and not really sure how pure the car would really end up being. I was looking for a true drivers car for the road. I ended up ordering a Porsche 911 Carrera T. I believe this car is only 3100lbs.
The Carrera T has caught my attention also, but for me it is the same story as with a GT4. If I spend $100k, I might as well go a bit more for a used GT3. The Carrera T is probably 95% there in chassis and feel, but not even close when it comes to the N/A engine. But it probably easier to live with for street use.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 08:36 PM   #26
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Speaking from first hand experience.
I have previously owned 991.1 gt3
I currently own 991.2 gt3 manual.

The GT3 is an outstanding car in both versions.
The m2 comp is impossible to be compared to experience of a gt3.
The m2 comp will be a fantastic car, no doubt, but it is no GT3.

Go test drive one. You will see that there is value in the GT3 to what you pay for.

Worth every penny.
Hold up! Stop the presses! Shut the front door! This just in!
The $5X,000 M2 doesn't offer the same experience as the $144,650 GT3? "Noooooooooooo". This changes everything!
Agree with the value...if you find one not marked up 30-50k.
I'm currently negotiating a Lava Orange GT3 RS... Time will tell
      06-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #27
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
I don't know if it was divine intervention, but something happened the other day that is making me second guess my decision to buy the M2 Competition...............and just to be clear, it has less to do with the M2 Comp's shortcoming/concerns, than with my own personal struggles.

Here is my situation. I am first in line at my dealer for an M2C. My wife, not a big fan of me changing/buying cars, gave me the OK to go for it, but no payments. In other words, sell my e46 M3. So with the necessary equity (if I sell the M3) and spousal approval there, I listed the car for sale on the M3 forum. FWIW, it is very clean, pretty low miles, and totally dialed in for HPDE's. It would not be easily replaced unless I spend even more than what I did on mine.

I should also mention, that I really want a 991 GT3. To me that would be the ultimate (streetable) track toy, but of course way more money and also a way bigger challenge to get the "spousal unit" to agree to. And if I get an M2 Comp now, the GT3 dream is out the window for many years to come, because she would insist that I keep the M2 for at least 3-5 years, I'm sure!

With my ad for the M3 placed, and starting to get second thoughts about letting it go, coupled with concerns about how a heavier M2C will compare, and the dream of a GT3 fading away, this happened:

I'm driving home from work in my DD. I live in semi rural area and my drive home is mostly FWY, but has a couple of lights shortly before I get to my house. At the last light I had to stop, and opposite of me I noticed a GT3. Keep in mind, this is only the second time I have seen one of those in our area, so not a common occurrence. As I am waiting, I lowered my window, so I could take in the sound of the engine when he takes off. His light turned green before mine, as there were cars turning left in his direction also, but not in mine. Secretly I was hoping he would step on it and give me the full symphony of 9k RPM, but I figured it was a long shot. But the driver did not disappoint. He flogged the car and went through the first 2 gears at WOT. Each time he shifted there was what sounded like a mini explosion, just a glorious sound of pure performance. It really made my day. As the GT3 faded off in the distance and my light turned green, I took off in my back to reality GTI thinking to myself, NOW THAT WOULD BE WORTH SELLING MY CAR FOR.

So was this just a coincidence, or was this divine intervention? Should I keep the e46 M3 and just be happy with it for another year or two and save up for a GT3, or do I get instant gratification now and get the M2C, but possibly regret it in a couple of years, wondering what could have been.
You and I are in almost exactly the same "boat" but I am contemplating holding onto my RS4 vs selling and trading up to the GT3 or (rs). Im thinking about snagging a M3 to hold me over as well. Would be nice to have something comfortable to put the car seats in. Need to make my decision fast though, my dealer has my order in their system already for the M2C.
      06-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #28
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
The $5X,000 M2 doesn't offer the same experience as the $144,650 GT3? "Noooooooooooo". This changes everything!
I love tracking my M2, which is lightly modded for DE and time trials. The back seat holds my Rcomps and it's so comfortable to drive to the track. I used to have a caged track car with trailer and the M2 is just plain easy ( and relatively inexpensive). The GT3 is amazing, I have instructed and driven several...built the acquisition and running costs are in a whole different league. When set up correctly the M2 is quicker than half the P cars at any DE event ( may be driver dependent) and can hold its own with anything other than a race/super car....plus it's a S...ton of fun.
Appreciate 5
mtoosexy729.00
CSBM52721.00
termigni1081.00
ShelJW359.50
      06-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #29
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Worth every penny.
Forgot to ask. Are there really dealers that let you test drive one? Or do I have to go to the Porsche Performance Center and pay my dues?

Quote:

Quote:
You and I are in almost exactly the same "boat" but I am contemplating holding onto my RS4 vs selling and trading up to the GT3 or (rs). Im thinking about snagging a M3 to hold me over as well. Would be nice to have something comfortable to put the car seats in. Need to make my decision fast though, my dealer has my order in their system already for the M2C.
I think I will order my M2C and then decide while it is being built. Plenty of guys in line that would step in I'm sure. Maybe the reviews come back extremely positive and it'll convince me, but the consensus is definitely to be patient and go for a GT3.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #30
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

If you think you can afford a GT3 in a couple years, I would clearly skip the M2C!!!

I have an M2 LCI and keeping all my moneyz for a P car next time

Last edited by S1monQc; 06-02-2018 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
norMcal284.50
      06-02-2018, 11:27 PM   #31
wontonbomb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBD

Go drive a 991.1/.2 GT3.

The thoughts of an M2C will quickly evaporate.

How about you buy my GT4 so I can jump into a GT3.
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy729.00
      06-03-2018, 12:15 AM   #32
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iczer34 View Post
Go drive a 991.1/.2 GT3.

What color is it>? How many miles
      06-03-2018, 12:23 AM   #33
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Not many dealers will give up the keys for a test drive on GT3's... especially to guys in their 30's... I had to talk to the manager directly. After a 1 minute conversation he personally gave me the keys and told me to "be careful"
I drove a white GT4 with carbon seats a few weeks ago, that was nice too. But I am waiting for the new GT4 to come out so the price bubble bursts on the used ones.
      06-03-2018, 02:05 AM   #34
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

By the time you get the 991 GT3 in 2 years. The 992 would be out and your 991 GT3 would be dated.

If you just want to rock a GT3 get a 997.2 GT3 now! You can enjoy it now and it’s more raw, more analog than the 991. Don’t have to take a big depreciation hit as their prices are very stable.

The 997.2 GT3 will be very collectible in 10-20 years time. The 991.1 GT3, no. The 991.2 GT3 6MT? Possibley
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 02:40 AM   #35
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Wait for the GT3. Imagine yourself in M2C and you have a similar experience as mentioned above. You'll regret not being patient. Plus in 3 years there will another better M2.
In three years there probably won't be an m2 at all, will have to wait a while before the next one most likely as the M3 and M4 will come before the M2.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 02:57 AM   #36
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
So was this just a coincidence, or was this divine intervention? Should I keep the e46 M3 and just be happy with it for another year or two and save up for a GT3, or do I get instant gratification now and get the M2C, but possibly regret it in a couple of years, wondering what could have been.
On the basis of what you said, here's what I (would) do: sit back and relax, allow yourself till, say, 2020 to make up your mind.

Resist the itch: put all M2 Competition and GT4/GT3 brainstorming and calculations to rest in a drawer for some time. Later, when taking a look at all that again, you may find out that you got 'a little too possessed by it, back in Spring 2018', that it was setting your mind alight & adrift, clouding your decision-making whilst sliding - on paper - that slippery slope of 'throwing in a couple more $K while we're at it anyway'. But it was worth the exercise to meet yourself.

Next time you walk with bags full of food to your car at the shopping mall parking lot, realize for a split-second how bloody expensive a GT3 is in real life (purchase, insurance & maintenance), how many food bags it represents. Though it's a mad comparison, it's a quick reality-check nevertheless.

In the meantime you can enjoy your current M car (that faithful 'compagnon de route' since many years), see in a stress-free way what the market has on offer (with hybrid/electric getting more important) and look at future initiatives by BMW in M2 Land, while you keep your money inside your pocket. Many opportunities ahead, no doubt about that, and time is on your side. As multi-time chess world champion Emanuel Lasker once said: "When you see a good move, look for a better one."

From hindsight you may consider it wise to have waited. Thank me later.
      06-03-2018, 04:16 AM   #37
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
No current BMW is a purist driving experience. Subtract...400 lbs from the M2 and it wouldn't change that.
I'm sure a 3000 lb M2 with a few mods would be pretty frickin' pure.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 07:11 AM   #38
Racer X
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Just my quick 2 cents... the e46 M3 is going to appreciate in the next few years. Some believe it will go up big... but even if it doesn’t, it isn’t going down the way a new M2C will. You will lose about 20k on a M2C in three years.... however, that GT3might go up too... then the M2C purchase would widen the $$ gap even more....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #39
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Just my quick 2 cents... the e46 M3 is going to appreciate in the next few years. Some believe it will go up big... but even if it doesn't, it isn't going down the way a new M2C will. You will lose about 20k on a M2C in three years.... however, that GT3might go up too... then the M2C purchase would widen the $$ gap even more....
Stop me if I heard this before about the

1) 1M

2) OG M2

Neither car has lost 20K in the first 3 years. Hell I will bet you don't see a 30K M2 until after five years.

Neither will an M2 COMP.

M3 production has just about ended. BMW will then do a run of $98k M3 CS and push them to dealers along with M4 CS. Then M2 competition comes in. Meanwhile , BMW keeps producing M4 and running better lease deals and discounts on it compared to the "all new M2 competition " which will have horrible lease rates. Expect production to be at the same level as the past as that factory will not be changing to produce more. The Factory in Munich will be able to crank out more M4 because the M3 will be done. Lots of buyers will flake away from being M2 fans and get an M4 because CF roof, interior luxury, MG, hate M2 colors , Individual available , etc.

The closer to the end of M4 production, the better the deals that sales people will offer for the M4. Meanwhile the M2 will have long order lists and wait lines.

It's not hard to imagine with 1-2 M2 competition produced for every 4-5 M4... that the M2 will continue to be sought after.

People continue to make the " its a new car that will depreciate because it's not a limited edition " mistake with these cars.

A car produced in lower volume than the demand , is by definition limited in availability.
Appreciate 4
No Boost4021.00
seis-speed2430.50
M2_MEDUSA664.00
termigni1081.00
      06-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #40
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Keep the e46 M3 for a couple more years since it’s already setup for track and daily duty. Save diligently into a “car” fund - maybe even create a separate ally or Marcus savings account for it. Watch the money grow and when ready, pull the trigger on a GT3 or even a new or used M2/M2C. If you go the BMW route, you will have saved $$ for track mods e.g., MCS coilovers, wheels etc. and still have cash left over in your savings account.

Be patient. It’s not fiscally smart to get a new car for a year or two, even if you have the money burning a hole in your pockets.
Appreciate 1
norMcal284.50
      06-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #41
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iczer34 View Post
Go drive a 991.1/.2 GT3.

A GT4 would be an adequate upgrade from where I am at, but I don't see myself spending $100k for a used one, when I can get a used GT3 for another 20-30k more.
GT4's might drop in price (finally) once the new one comes out soon. Then again, they probably won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
By the time you get the 991 GT3 in 2 years. The 992 would be out and your 991 GT3 would be dated.

If you just want to rock a GT3 get a 997.2 GT3 now! You can enjoy it now and it’s more raw, more analog than the 991. Don’t have to take a big depreciation hit as their prices are very stable.

The 997.2 GT3 will be very collectible in 10-20 years time. The 991.1 GT3, no. The 991.2 GT3 6MT? Possibley
I am over needing the latest and greatest. I don't want a 991 because it is newer than the 997, I just like the look way more. The 997 has long overhangs and less curves. Looks like an evolution of the 996. Better, but nowhere near as good as the 991. Porsche hit a real home run with 991, and ever since winning the Performance Car of the year when it came out, I was hooked. They finally fixed the dreaded throttle off over-steer, probably because the longer wheel base and the the 4 wheel steering.

I don't think depreciation is going to be a huge factor on any modern 911, although you are right, the 997.2 might hold its value better. Depreciation is an important factor, but not the number one criteria for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Just my quick 2 cents... the e46 M3 is going to appreciate in the next few years. Some believe it will go up big... but even if it doesn’t, it isn’t going down the way a new M2C will. You will lose about 20k on a M2C in three years.... however, that GT3might go up too... then the M2C purchase would widen the $$ gap even more....
Yes, this has crossed my mind. Although I bet the M2C will hold its value very well chances are the e46 M3 will hold more equity over the next couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Stop me if I heard this before about the

1) 1M

2) OG M2

Neither car has lost 20K in the first 3 years. Hell I will bet you don't see a 30K M2 until after five years.

Neither will an M2 COMP.

M3 production has just about ended. BMW will then do a run of $98k M3 CS and push them to dealers along with M4 CS. Then M2 competition comes in. Meanwhile , BMW keeps producing M4 and running better lease deals and discounts on it compared to the "all new M2 competition " which will have horrible lease rates. Expect production to be at the same level as the past as that factory will not be changing to produce more. The Factory in Munich will be able to crank out more M4 because the M3 will be done. Lots of buyers will flake away from being M2 fans and get an M4 because CF roof, interior luxury, MG, hate M2 colors , Individual available , etc.

The closer to the end of M4 production, the better the deals that sales people will offer for the M4. Meanwhile the M2 will have long order lists and wait lines.

It's not hard to imagine with 1-2 M2 competition produced for every 4-5 M4... that the M2 will continue to be sought after.

People continue to make the " its a new car that will depreciate because it's not a limited edition " mistake with these cars.

A car produced in lower volume than the demand , is by definition limited in availability.
I agree. M2C should do even better than the OG M2, unless it turns out to be a turd (unlikely)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #42
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
On the basis of what you said, here's what I (would) do: sit back and relax, allow yourself till, say, 2020 to make up your mind.

Resist the itch: put all M2 Competition and GT4/GT3 brainstorming and calculations to rest in a drawer for some time. Later, when taking a look at all that again, you may find out that you got 'a little too possessed by it, back in Spring 2018', that it was setting your mind alight & adrift, clouding your decision-making whilst sliding - on paper - that slippery slope of 'throwing in a couple more $K while we're at it anyway'. But it was worth the exercise to meet yourself.

Next time you walk with bags full of food to your car at the shopping mall parking lot, realize for a split-second how bloody expensive a GT3 is in real life (purchase, insurance & maintenance), how many food bags it represents. Though it's a mad comparison, it's a quick reality-check nevertheless.

In the meantime you can enjoy your current M car (that faithful 'compagnon de route' since many years), see in a stress-free way what the market has on offer (with hybrid/electric getting more important) and look at future initiatives by BMW in M2 Land, while you keep your money inside your pocket. Many opportunities ahead, no doubt about that, and time is on your side. As multi-time chess world champion Emanuel Lasker once said: "When you see a good move, look for a better one."

From hindsight you may consider it wise to have waited. Thank me later.
I agree with you. Thanks for the input.

In reality I am pretty content with what I have. Bought a dream home 3 years ago, just added a swimming pool to make it even more perfect, own a business which has been going well and is going even better this year (sales up 50%), have enough time and funds to go to the track on a regular basis and the kids are getting to the point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Live is pretty good, if I manage to stay healthy.

I think I got caught up in the M2 Competition hype when rumors started. Plus the fact that I had the foresight to reserve a spot at my dealer and the MSRP of the M2C being very reasonable, all started to sound very good. But the reality is that I will probably not dig the weight of it. I also don't think the M2 looks anywhere near as good as the e46 does, nor will it have the same soul.

So if I really think about it and listen to all the input, it does sound like I would regret not waiting for what I really want. The M2C could be a cool car and it would satisfy temporarily, but probably not for long.

Last edited by norMcal; 06-03-2018 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
Artemis29344.50
      06-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #43
Isty
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 - V40 T5 - M2 aug deliv

Quote:
Sounds like the same scenario and like I should stay put, or chances are very good I will regret it. So you have a 18, and are already regretting selling the e46M3? Didn't think it would happen that soon.

Thx for your input
Yep only driven like 2000 miles but N/A is N/A!
Also regret I didnt get dct, so might try and swap it for a dct m2 because that was the m2 I fell in love with. My manual feels incredibly boosty and between each gearchange there is a 0.5sec gap which frustrates me to bits! Might be something wrong with my car I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #44
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isty View Post
Yep only driven like 2000 miles but N/A is N/A!
Also regret I didnt get dct, so might try and swap it for a dct m2 because that was the m2 I fell in love with. My manual feels incredibly boosty and between each gearchange there is a 0.5sec gap which frustrates me to bits! Might be something wrong with my car I don't know.
I thought I had my mind made up staying with the manual, but the DCT has a huge advantage because of what you just wrote. On a turbo car, the boost drops during a manual shift, whereas with he DCT shift so quick that the boost remains. To me that is the ultimate argument for the DCT, but so many have raved about the manual still being better, which is why I was going to pass on the DCT. Plus it costs more and usually gets you less on resale (at least down the road).
I have a DCT (called DSG) in my GTI (also turbo engine) and it is a perfect match for the engine. I can definitely see the advantages, but it is my DD, so I don't know how if I would miss it if I tracked it?
Appreciate 0