BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Selling the ZR1 for a M2, anyone here from very powerful cars?

06-01-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
Darth g-f
Rep
Drives: Corvette Zr1

Selling the ZR1 for a M2, anyone here from very powerful cars?

I am selling my ZR1 for a M2. I don't use the ZR1 much because I have two kids (10 and 11) and don't have that many occasion to drive the ZR1. Plus it is so powerful, I can't really use it that much on the street. Second gear goes almost all the way to 100mph... So basically I can't really use much of the car's performance on the street and don't go to the track.

So I thought, the M2 is a fun little sports car that is also practical and can carry both kids. I'd use it more often and the performance level is more appropriate for the street.

Does that make any sense? Anyone from powerful cars here that have gone down the same road?
Appreciate 1
M3PGH784.00
      06-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

If you’re used to power I wouldn’t do it. Get a Camaro ZL1 1LE instead
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth g-f View Post
I am selling my ZR1 for a M2. I don't use the ZR1 much because I have two kids (10 and 11) and don't have that many occasion to drive the ZR1. Plus it is so powerful, I can't really use it that much on the street. Second gear goes almost all the way to 100mph... So basically I can't really use much of the car's performance on the street and don't go to the track.

So I thought, the M2 is a fun little sports car that is also practical and can carry both kids. I'd use it more often and the performance level is more appropriate for the street.

Does that make any sense? Anyone from powerful cars here that have gone down the same road?
Go Cadillac CTS V or ATS V,
stefan2346.50
      06-03-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

2nd gear to 100 is nuts (I can't even fathom it) and definitely way too powerful for the streets. I would only feel comfortable on a track or long empty stretches of highway driving.

With a stock M2, you'll get to use all the power and not feel like you're going to put it in a wall. Now, if you find the power difference to be substantial, you can always do some mods and get a tune, or go for the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
megacondenser
Largely Lurking
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 C4GTS

Don't do it. I made a similar move once from a 911tt I think at the time (maybe it was just a C2S, I'm getting old) to an M235i. Convinced myself myself I didn't use the extra power on the street, 90% of the fun for a fraction of the cost, real back seats etc etc etc.

Even by the time I got home from the BMW dealer after delivery, I had the seed of doubt that I'd screwed up and eventually the whole thing just ended up costing me money to get out of it and back into a properly powerful car. It's hard to go back.

Just my $0.02.
2013 Polar White/Black C63 Perf Package

Last edited by megacondenser; 06-03-2018 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

It makes plenty of sense to me. But you're about to get a whole Pandora's Box full of answers to your question.

What's your situation? Do you have the garage space + interest to keep the ZR-1 and just add more cars to your driveway, or do you need to swap the ZR-1 in order to get something else? Because if someone tells you not to do it, knowing you can't fit two growing kids in a ZR-1, they're assuming you can just grow the collection and add more cars to meet that need. If you can't add more cars, and you don't plan to strap the kids to the roof like Aunt Edna in "Vacation", then something has to give...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #7
Darth g-f
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Go Cadillac CTS V or ATS V,
I have a Tesla 3 AWD coming "mid-2018" that will be the family car. CTS-V would be nice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
2nd gear to 100 is nuts (I can't even fathom it) and definitely way too powerful for the streets. I would only feel comfortable on a track or long empty stretches of highway driving.

With a stock M2, you'll get to use all the power and not feel like you're going to put it in a wall. Now, if you find the power difference to be substantial, you can always do some mods and get a tune, or go for the M2C.
That's the idea. I think honestly the ZR1 is too much for the street. By the time you shift 2nd gear i'm at the speed limit, 3rd gear is what they call extreme speeding here and 4th gear is jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
If you’re used to power I wouldn’t do it. Get a Camaro ZL1 1LE instead
Great on paper, not a fan of the look that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacondenser View Post
Don't do it. I made a similar move once from a 911tt I think at the time (maybe it was just a C2S, I'm getting old) to an M235i. Convinced myself myself I didn't use the extra power on the street, 90% of the fun for a fraction of the cost, real back seats etc etc etc.

Even by the time I got home from the BMW dealer after delivery, I had the seed of doubt that I'd screwed up and eventually the whole thing just ended up costing me money to get out of it and back into a properly powerful car. It's hard to go back.

Just my $0.02.
My biggest fear. However, seeing how Chris Harris owns a 1M and seems to love it and also the great reviews he gave to the M2 makes me think the M2 has enough to not have that feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
It makes plenty of sense to me. But you're about to get a whole Pandora's Box full of answers to your question.

What's your situation? Do you have the garage space + interest to keep the ZR-1 and just add more cars to your driveway, or do you need to swap the ZR-1 in order to get something else? Because if someone tells you not to do it, knowing you can't fit two growing kids in a ZR-1, they're assuming you can just grow the collection and add more cars to meet that need. If you can't add more cars, and you don't plan to strap the kids to the roof like Aunt Edna in "Vacation", then something has to give...
I have a C400 at the moment but it's not that fun to drive. The Tesla that will replace it will not be that fun either. The ZR1 is for fun. The M2 would be for fun while carrying the kids around. I do have a garage but don't have the means for a Tesla and a ZR1 and a M2.

The biggest selling point for getting rid of the ZR1 and one that my SO keeps repeating, is that the ZR1 will probably cost me a hefty ticket one day. I used to track cars and race cars(F2000), also did a few years as a BMWCCA instructor, so pushing a car is pretty much something I feel comfortable doing. Pushing the ZR1 anywhere but on the track is calling for trouble. It is a beast.

The M2 I feel would be entertaining at lower velocities and have the added practicality of carrying the kids around. But I know once the ZR1 is gone, it's gone. Tough call.

Thanks all, it helps me brainstorm and have a clearer view.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Setting aside the M2 for a second, is the ZR-1 really "gone" when it's gone? I'm wondering what happens in 18 months...let's say GM nails it with the new mid-engined Vette. Is it a stretch to imagine a mass exodus of Corvette owners to the new platform, and plenty of Stingrays and ZR-1 hitting the market? In other words, it's not like you're letting go of a restored 328 or a mint-condition '93 Supra, something that would be painfully difficult to get back. If in 18 months you flat-out regret this move, wouldn't it be pretty easy to land back in another Vette?

BTW, even though we ended up with an M2, we shopped the Stingray and I could have been very happy with that as well. I'm not one with a pro-M2 and anti-C7 bias.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #9
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacondenser View Post

Just my $0.02.
But what about an s55 car like the M2C, m3 or m4? a cheap tune has them at 500 hp or just get the CS tune?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
Darth g-f
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Setting aside the M2 for a second, is the ZR-1 really "gone" when it's gone? I'm wondering what happens in 18 months...let's say GM nails it with the new mid-engined Vette. Is it a stretch to imagine a mass exodus of Corvette owners to the new platform, and plenty of Stingrays and ZR-1 hitting the market? In other words, it's not like you're letting go of a restored 328 or a mint-condition '93 Supra, something that would be painfully difficult to get back. If in 18 months you flat-out regret this move, wouldn't it be pretty easy to land back in another Vette?

BTW, even though we ended up with an M2, we shopped the Stingray and I could have been very happy with that as well. I'm not one with a pro-M2 and anti-C7 bias.
Good points. The Zr1 is pretty rare. But the C7 Z06 are becoming close in price. Worst case if I really regret the selling the ZR1, I can always get a c7-Z06 in a couple years for a good price.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #11
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Why not a M3? 4 Doors, kids in back seat easily..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #12
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have a Tesla 3 AWD coming "mid-2018" that will be the family car. CTS-V would be nice though.
Wait as long on the Tesla purchase as you can. They will be going bankrupt which could probably fetch you a great low price. You will have to follow the markets and the news to see where Tesla is at.
      06-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #13
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Quote:
Quote:
Wait as long on the Tesla purchase as you can. They will be going bankrupt which could probably fetch you a great low price. You will have to follow the markets and the news to see where Tesla is at.
Tesla might be too big to fail at this point. I'm guessing some deep pockets will be willing to bet on Musk. Right or wrong...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #14
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
Tesla might be too big to fail at this point. I'm guessing some deep pockets will be willing to bet on Musk. Right or wrong...
I am hearing different and from a good source that they are going to go bankrupt lest some one does what you say. They are spending way more than they are making.
      06-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #15
Darth g-f
Rep

Quote:
I am hearing different and from a good source that they are going to go bankrupt lest some one does what you say. They are spending way more than they are making.
Short sellers have been betting against Tesla for a very long time. Each week that passes Tesla gets closer to turning a profit and that would be desastruous for these people. So it is normal to see a lot of bad press against Tesla/Musk lately.

Whether or not people believe Tesla will fail/succeed I don't really care. I test drove one of their cars a few years back and knew immediatly I'd have one someday. The S was too expensive but the 3 AWD ticks all the right boxes for me.

As long as they go bankrupt after I get mine I don't care. But I don't believe they will fail. Betting against Musk might be the biggest risk. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #16
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Tesla has been a cash-burning, non-GAAP accounting disaster since before the M2 was a gleam in BMW's eyes. Their revenue-recognition practices were a joke, and this is what the shorts banked on, usually to their own detriment. There's no yield to be had, so money is chasing assets right to the bottom of the barrel, Tesla included. In a truly efficient market, the Tesla we see today could never exist, but the markets have been backstopped for two decades so Tesla keeps finding new equity and they're not going anywhere. They may not be Goldman Sachs level too-big-to-fail, but I agree with HODLM that they've become too big to fail. I'm talking specifically about their financial structure, not their cars - that's a different discussion.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #17
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Just test drive the M2 before taking a decision?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 04:23 AM   #18
Peasley
General Moron
England
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI MT & E30 Drift Slag

I made the swap from a C63 507 that was moderately tuned. Obviously had quite a bit more power and poke than the M2 but have been craving a manual gearbox with RWD for years.

Although the M2's engine is a bit "weak" in comparison it is just so much more fun to drive and as you point out ALL the power can be used more of the time. In fact the M2 is least powerful car I have owned in years but just provides more smiles per miles

A test drive would be the obvious thing to do but I doubt you would be disappointed.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #19
Darth g-f
Rep

Traded the Zr1 on a M2.

I will miss the savage acceleration of the Corvette. But the handling on the M2 is pretty sweet. Also being able to use it more and carry the kids means this car will get driven more. I don't need to be scare of the police as much as it doesn't climb into triple digit with the same authority.

Worst case I can always trade the M2 on a new Z06 and I'll be back into insane car speeds. I got a pretty sweet deal on the M2 adn shouldn't lose much if at all.
Appreciate 5
Peasley247.00
W///7434.00
      06-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #20
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Congrats! The deal is done, no looking back, only forward...

So now that you've made the switch, we'll want to hear about your findings. Obviously there won't be a comparison in terms of power and torque, but in terms of comfort, ride quality, fun factor, handling, etc. please do let us know what you think.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Sounds like you didn't need this thread at all but congrats
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #22
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Traded the Zr1 on a M2.

I will miss the savage acceleration of the Corvette. But the handling on the M2 is pretty sweet. Also being able to use it more and carry the kids means this car will get driven more. I don't need to be scare of the police as much as it doesn't climb into triple digit with the same authority.

Worst case I can always trade the M2 on a new Z06 and I'll be back into insane car speeds. I got a pretty sweet deal on the M2 adn shouldn't lose much if at all.
Congrats!

I came from a similar path. I had a SC'ed C7 that made 600 whp and 550 wtq. I knew going in that'd be too much power for practical use but just had to scratch that itch to see what that power level felt like. I removed the SC 18 months later and traded the C7 toward my current M2 another 18 months after that.

I love the M2 for its small-car driving characteristic and have no regrets on the slight downgrade on power. I have since flashed my M2 because it's such a low hanging fruit for another 50hp/70wtq, but I have never felt it was lacking in power in stock form. A tad heavy, maybe, but def not under powered. Truth be told, I think the M2 is even too powerful for street level fun. I am now trying to find a way to add a 2019 Miata (power bump to 181 hp) to complement the M2.
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 0