No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
I don't own a Porsche or a BMW yet. I am pretty unbiased I feel. The only thing is, if one were to buy a Porsche, why waste time on a Cayman. Grab a 911!
I'm on a list for both a M2/CS and a new gt3 with the manual transmission. Whichever comes up first will be the one I buy first. My kids will ride in the M2/CS if it has rear seats, GT3 will be for me
The Cayman is more nimble and balanced (mid-engine) than its big brother. Sound familiar? That said, GT3 is the quintessential sports car so yeah, if you have the means, forgo any Cayman variant for that masterpiece.
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy723.00
      01-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #46
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
I don't own a Porsche or a BMW yet. I am pretty unbiased I feel. The only thing is, if one were to buy a Porsche, why waste time on a Cayman. Grab a 911!
I'm on a list for both a M2/CS and a new gt3 with the manual transmission. Whichever comes up first will be the one I buy first. My kids will ride in the M2/CS if it has rear seats, GT3 will be for me
Because the 991 GT3 is $150k
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #47
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
I myself have a Bugatti Chiron on order; if it becomes available before my M2 is shipped, I'll cancel the M2. The M2 is for me and my dog, however the Bugatti is just for me.

01-02-2018, 01:39 AM   #48
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
I myself have a Bugatti Chiron on order; if it becomes available before my M2 is shipped, I'll cancel the M2. The M2 is for me and my dog, however the Bugatti is just for me.

no need to get silly. ::
GT3 is only 150k. BMW maybe 70k? far fetch from 1.2 mil.
I put my big boy pants on in my younger 30's and now might be in the market for both. Do you not think m2 can have car seats in the back? I would have the M3 but the exhaust sounds like shit! my dog will not be allowed in the Pcar. My buddy is a sales manager at Porsche but still not going to hold my breath that i will get one.
p.s. pass on the bugatti, i can think of 4 better cars at that price point. your dog wouldn't care for it either.
      01-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #49
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
I agree that the 911 has a lot more appeal, if you can afford it. However, the Cayman is in some ways a better car. Better balanced for sure. If Porsche would equip it with the same engines as the 911's then it would beat it, which is why they don't.

But 911 wins on looks, status and a couple of make shift rear seats.......and ultimate on performance, because they want it to be that way.
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy723.00
      01-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #50
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
I agree that the 911 has a lot more appeal, if you can afford it. However, the Cayman is in some ways a better car. Better balanced for sure. If Porsche would equip it with the same engines as the 911's then it would beat it, which is why they don't.

But 911 wins on looks, status and a couple of make shift rear seats.......and ultimate on performance, because they want it to be that way.
I like the Cayman's proportions better than the 911's, esp the shorter overhangs, and the mid-engine placement is ideal for a sports car. Plus the 911 rear seats are only good for when your kids are very small - and legless.

The status part is all marketing and, as such, of no matter to me. And for roughly every pair of new 718s that are sold, they sell three 911s, so a Cayman is less common (relative rarity seems to be very important to many folks on here).

That said, if I could afford it, I'd be ordering a new 911 GT3 Touring to befriend my new M2, 'cause 4.0L non-turbo flat-six with unholy redline.
No Boost4019.00
      01-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #51
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

They are 2 different cars as you've said. So you should lay out all the differences and ask yourself what you can and can't live without.

If it's a dedicated track car, get the Cayman. If you'll daily it then ask yourself does the added pros such as backseats and trunk mean more than having a 2 seat sports car. I think a Cayman will feel more like a full on sports car but most people only buy a 2 seater if they have another car also in case they need to pick up people or things. I don't know if you do but something else to think about.

If you decide to go with the M2, I would suggest shopping around for a better deal. The M decals is not my taste and I wouldn't consider it as a bonus that adds to the car's value but that's up to you. As a used car with the MPP, I think it should go for $50k. There are below MSRP deals for new out there now if you call around. You may have to wait for the allocation but it's a new car build to your order.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #52
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Quote:

I like the Cayman's proportions better than the 911's, esp the shorter overhangs, and the mid-engine placement is ideal for a sports car. Plus the 911 rear seats are only good for when your kids are very small - and legless.

The status part is all marketing and, as such, of no matter to me. And for roughly every pair of new 718s that are sold, they sell three 911s, so a Cayman is less common (relative rarity seems to be very important to many folks on here).

That said, if I could afford it, I'd be ordering a new 911 GT3 Touring to befriend my new M2, 'cause 4.0L non-turbo flat-six with unholy redline.
Agreed! the 4.0 is what seals the deal for me. That and my Dr. Brother-in-Law has a new Cayman. I drove it, it's nice. But i gotta one up the In Laws.
Cayman and gt3...can't go wrong with either, i just know which one I will be driving
      01-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #53
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post

Quote:
Agreed! the 4.0 is what seals the deal for me. That and my Dr. Brother-in-Law has a new Cayman. I drove it, it's nice. But i gotta one up the In Laws.
Cayman and gt3...can't go wrong with either, i just know which one I will be driving
As I said before, all things being equal (engine/power) the Cayman is a better sports car, because of the mid-engine, agreed!

Looks are subjective. I like the more aggressive flared rear of the 911's.

The rear seats in a 911 can at least be used for storing a few things. The Cayman has no room whatsoever. So even though the seats are not really usable as such in the 911, it still gives you more room.

I'm with you guys, the GT3 is the one to get. GT4 would be a great car as well, if it wasn't limited and overpriced. I feel that a Cayman S is just not a big enough leap from what I have. They are under powered or geared too high IMHO. Maybe the 718 is different with the more torque, but then that one sounds awful.

GT3 all the way.

Last edited by norMcal; 01-02-2018 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #54
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
As I said before, all things being equal (engine/power) the Cayman is a better sports car, because of the mid-engine, agreed!

Looks are subjective. I like the more aggressive flared rear of the 911's.

The rear seats in a 911 can at least be used for storing a few things. The Cayman has no room whatsoever. So even though the seats are not really usable as such in the 911, it still gives you more room.

I'm with you guys, the GT3 is the one to get. GT4 would be a great car as well, if it wasn't limited and overpriced. I feel that a Cayman S is just not a big enough leap from what I have. They are under powered or geared too high IMHO. Maybe the 718 is different with the more torque, but then that one sounds awful.

GT3 all the way.
I agree looks are subjective - both look great these days.

The Cayman has plenty of storage, however - it has two trunks! The front one is very deep.
norMcal284.50
      01-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #55
ThereCanBeOnly1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lame family vehicle

Car will not be a daily. Hell, now I'm looking at Ariel Atoms too. Trouble is I don't know how to try one first.

That said, the storage in the Cayman seems quite good to me. S

Stylewise, I like the 981 Cayman better than the current 911s. But I also agree that if a GT3 was in the cards I'd have one. I mean, I COULD do it but my wife wouldn't see the logic. Worst part is she'd forgive me too... but I don't want to take advantage
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 10:05 PM   #56
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Just tell her the GT3 is cheaper to own than the Cayman, which is actually very true. I mean you can have a 4.0L with 9k redline and solid valvetrain or you can have a Subaru engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #57
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:

Kinda the same way the M3 and M4 win on looks, status , and ultimately performance with most people when compared to the M2. .
Appreciate 1
norMcal284.50
      01-03-2018, 04:25 AM   #58
Maximoosh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I have come from a Cayman S 981 to the M2.... I had the porsche for 4 years and it was a fantastic car, it was time for a change though and with the new 4 cylinder turbo I ruled out the 718 CS. I ended up ordering a Carrera T but just wasnt that excited by it (maybe something to do with the massive debt id be taking on). I explored other options and the M2 appealed as a fun car with plenty of poke. Test drove a black LCI one and bought it, seems very good value for what you get compared to Porsche, with Porsche everything is an option whereas the little bm comes with everything. It will never sound like the 6 cylinder porsche... that will go down as one of the best sounding engines of all time, but then the new 4 cyl sounds broken....but in terms of pace and feel it really isnt far off the 981 in fact I think its quicker in a straight line, plenty of torque. Anyway best of luck with your decision.

My cayman had sports exhaust, lsd, sport chrono, manual transmission

The M2 has harman kardon, privacy glass, memory drivers seat reverse cam and is a dct
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
bobert858.50
      01-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #59
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximoosh View Post
I have come from a Cayman S 981 to the M2.... I had the porsche for 4 years and it was a fantastic car, it was time for a change though and with the new 4 cylinder turbo I ruled out the 718 CS. I ended up ordering a Carrera T but just wasnt that excited by it (maybe something to do with the massive debt id be taking on). I explored other options and the M2 appealed as a fun car with plenty of poke. Test drove a black LCI one and bought it, seems very good value for what you get compared to Porsche, with Porsche everything is an option whereas the little bm comes with everything. It will never sound like the 6 cylinder porsche... that will go down as one of the best sounding engines of all time, but then the new 4 cyl sounds broken....but in terms of pace and feel it really isnt far off the 981 in fact I think its quicker in a straight line, plenty of torque. Anyway best of luck with your decision.

My cayman had sports exhaust, lsd, sport chrono, manual transmission

The M2 has harman kardon, privacy glass, memory drivers seat reverse cam and is a dct
I agree, the Porsches are not as good a value as a M2. For that reason I would only consider a used Cayman S. In fact, my track buddy, who's retired and owns several Porsches, would sell me his pristine, low mileage, loaded Cayman S for about the price of a new M2. I've driven the car several times on and off the track, and I love driving it. However, as I mentioned before, my only complain is the power and/or the gearing. It's just not that fast. In fact he can barley keep up with my e46 M3 on track, on identical brakes and tires. Granted I have a few more suspension mods, tune and headers on my car, but still. If you think that the Cayman is a mid-engine purpose build sports car, then it is a bit disappointing that it isn't faster than a 15 year old "sedan". Only when you get in to the GT4's do they become significantly faster. I was recently in a run group with 3 of them, and they were all about 4 seconds a lap quicker, but the regular Cayman S is usually about the same as me.

As bad as the new 718 engine sounds, it is actually almost as fast as a GT4, because of the added torque. I am with you though, not sure I could live with that sound, but I am also not sure I could live with paying $50+k for a sports car, that offers little practicality, and isnt't any faster on track than my current car.

For that reason I would get the M2. More tunable (turbo engine) and is more practical, even if it isn't a DD. At least you could fit a set of track wheels in it if you had to.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #60
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Kinda the same way the M3 and M4 win on looks, status , and ultimately performance with most people when compared to the M2. .
I dunno, more people who are not m3 or m4 owners seem to come up to me asking me about the car and telling me they like the looks better than the other Ms.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #61
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Looks--not for me. M3 is nice if large, M4 reminds me of the NA 996--not enough curves. M2 is a hot little bugger for a small coupe.

Status--don't give a shit.

Performance--a loaded word. The M2 "performs" for me better than both of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #62
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 MG 6-Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Thanks - I understood your first mention of this. I guess my point is who buys any Porsche without a real rear diff. I'm just say'in.
so the M2 does have a real rear diff correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #63
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9GunSlinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Thanks - I understood your first mention of this. I guess my point is who buys any Porsche without a real rear diff. I'm just say'in.
so the M2 does have a real rear diff correct?
Yes. And it is fabulous in operation. Makes the car super controllable on track.