BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Exhaust options?

12-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

About to get an '18 M2 and have been researching exhaust options but there seems to be limited info on some of the systems I'm looking at. I'm 100% going with a catless downpipe but am torn between the Dinan resonator delete and Fabspeed muffler bypass. I'm coming from a 340i that had the full AWE catback paired to a catless downpipe (basically a straight pipe) so I'm no stranger to loud. That being said, as loud as that system was, it didn't drone at all on highway.

Although the resonator delete + catless downpipe option is almost $1k cheaper, I have a feeling I will want more volume from the exhaust, so I'm inclined to go with the muffler delete. However, I've read that the muffler bypass drones a bit with the Fabspeed sport cat so I can imagine it will be slightly louder with the catless. I have a pretty high tolerance for drone and presence in the cabin, and part of me wants to believe that what most people refer to as drone is really just increased presence in the cabin. I've also spoken to several people who've ran the Fabspeed paired to a downpipe and all have different opinions on drone and volume.

For the people who have the Dinan resonator delete and downpipe on your car, does the res delete make much of a difference compared to stock?

For the people who have the Fabspeed muffler bypass and downpipe on your car, is drone really as bad as some people say?

In general, how much louder will the muffler bypass + downpipe be compared to the resonator delete + downpipe?

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy4 View Post
About to get an '18 M2 and have been researching exhaust options but there seems to be limited info on some of the systems I'm looking at. I'm 100% going with a catless downpipe but am torn between the Dinan resonator delete and Fabspeed muffler bypass. I'm coming from a 340i that had the full AWE catback paired to a catless downpipe (basically a straight pipe) so I'm no stranger to loud. That being said, as loud as that system was, it didn't drone at all on highway.

Although the resonator delete + catless downpipe option is almost $1k cheaper, I have a feeling I will want more volume from the exhaust, so I'm inclined to go with the muffler delete. However, I've read that the muffler bypass drones a bit with the Fabspeed sport cat so I can imagine it will be slightly louder with the catless. I have a pretty high tolerance for drone and presence in the cabin, and part of me wants to believe that what most people refer to as drone is really just increased presence in the cabin. I've also spoken to several people who've ran the Fabspeed paired to a downpipe and all have different opinions on drone and volume.

For the people who have the Dinan resonator delete and downpipe on your car, does the res delete make much of a difference compared to stock?

For the people who have the Fabspeed muffler bypass and downpipe on your car, is drone really as bad as some people say?
3K drone is a thing in our cars. I have Fabspeed sport DP, Dinan res delete and Dinan exhaust. Sound is nicely aggressive and moderately loud. I have a cold start delete and for me that is a necessity. It is stupid loud on cold start like vibrate the house and all the attached neighbors (town home) in the mornings. A 3K "bloom" of sound is the only thing I wish was more tame. I get around it by not keeping it in that range on the highway. You can cruise in 6th gear comfortably and not be in the drone range.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:

In general, how much louder will the muffler bypass + downpipe be compared to the resonator delete + downpipe?
I have yet read a good reason to delete the resonator. There's no increase in power but definitely the opportunity to increase the chance of drone.
Appreciate 1
jetbill198.00
      12-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Why are you going catless?
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Why are you going catless?
Personally, the cost-benefit is greater than a catted downpipe and I enjoy the smell and sound.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 11:39 PM   #6
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

You will not find a better sounding catless setup than the Active turbo back. See my review and vids:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1510134
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 04:53 AM   #7
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
The factory exhaust sounds great - don't know why anyone would want to change it.
Appreciate 7
wassy497.50
Blurbo311197.00
izzyM2701.00
M2OG400.00
hz101169.50
      12-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Remember, the m2 has significantly less sound insulation than your 340 did.
Appreciate 1
wassy497.50
      12-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

FB + free flow

Does it drone with a fabspeed sport cat and dinan free flow withOUT res delete? How about sport cat + MPE? Bad?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Finally a thread about exhausts. YAY!
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #11
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranck View Post
The factory exhaust sounds great - don't know why anyone would want to change it.
It sounds great but I like my exhausts louder. I think it's the single biggest factor in making daily driving the most enjoyable for me.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #12
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranck View Post
Agree... until you hear how much better it sounds with a fabspeed sport cat downpipe!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #13
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I have a few video clips here comparing stock to stock+res delete and then sportcat+res delete:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1355352
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #14
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
I have a few video clips here comparing stock to stock+res delete and then sportcat+res delete:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1355352
I've watched your videos many times
Sounds great!

How much louder is the Remus/DP combo compared to the DP/Res Delete combo?

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #15
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I've watched your videos many times
Sounds great!

How much louder is the Remus/DP combo compared to the DP/Res Delete combo?
Gears 3-6 are noticeably louder. Gears 1-3 are about the same decibel wise. Overall what you're getting isn't really more volume, it's design quality and sound refinement.

If I were you I'd start with a cat and res delete, see how you like it and then do more research and move forward from there. I don't think jumping on a catback out of the gate is a good idea. You'll want to meet up with some local forum members and hear what their cars sound like in person before making a decision on what kind of noise you want to pursue. Otherwise you're just kind of taking a gamble based on YouTube videos and word of mouth, nether of which do a good enough job of portraying what you hear in the real world.
      12-25-2018, 09:13 PM   #16
huesaurus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY18 M2 BSM

I have a fabspeed sport cat coupled with a Fi system. It drones around 3k but a valve system is great if you're worried about waking neighbors, long drives, etc.

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 10:44 PM   #17
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

The m performance exhaust will take care of your 'loud' needs, lol

And the tone of the sound is low and grumbly, sounds better than what is posted above
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      12-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #18
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
The m performance exhaust will take care of your 'loud' needs, lol

And the tone of the sound is low and grumbly, sounds better than what is posted above
I drove an M2 w/ MPE. It sounds good and is definitely louder than stock but for the money I'd rather do a system that includes a downpipe and get better sound and performance.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #19
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
I drove an M2 w/ MPE. It sounds good and is definitely louder than stock but for the money I'd rather do a system that includes a downpipe and get better sound and performance.
Hey Wassy,
Phil from Fabspeed here. I would be glad to help you out with this. I would keep the resonator on the M2. You can go with a cat bypass and muffler delete but if you bypass the entire system you will see some drone. Please feel free to reach out if you have a question.
Appreciate 1
wassy497.50
      12-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #20
bravosvo
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

What is the diameter of the stock exhaust pipe without the tip (non M2C)?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #21
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Unfortunately exhaust sounds are a completely subjective thing. What one person finds glorious, someone else finds obnoxious. Your best bet it to filter through the plethora of YouTube videos and if you are lucky enough to live nearby someone with a potentially desired exhaust setup...to hear for yourself. Personally, I have heard what the stock exhaust sounds like with the Fabspeed sport cat and I think it's the perfect happy medium of livable, yet aggressive. The increased power, torque and responsiveness is an added bonus as it's not just a noise maker like other exhaust setups.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #22
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
Quote:
Hey Wassy,
Phil from Fabspeed here. I would be glad to help you out with this. I would keep the resonator on the M2. You can go with a cat bypass and muffler delete but if you bypass the entire system you will see some drone. Please feel free to reach out if you have a question.
Is there a noticeable difference in loudness between the cat bypass and sport cat paired to the muffler bypass?

Appreciate 0