BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > DINAN exhaust installation tips?

12-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

DINAN exhaust installation tips?

I'm receiving and installing the dinan exhaust today myself.

anyone have any installation tips as lessons learned, please let me know! ...

it's seems pretty simple but it's good to get insights!

thanks
      12-14-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7289155 View Post
I'm receiving and installing the dinan exhaust today myself.

anyone have any installation tips as lessons learned, please let me know! ...

it's seems pretty simple but it's good to get insights!

thanks
I did it myself and I am no mechanic. I had a surprisingly easy time installing and with fitment. It just kinda worked without me having to do much. But I also had the Dinan res delete already fitted so that may have helped out.

I would just recommend having a jack nearby to help get the exhaust in place and another set of hands always helps. The hardest part is getting the exhaust and mid pipe merged snugly.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
I did it myself and I am no mechanic. I had a surprisingly easy time installing and with fitment. It just kinda worked without me having to do much. But I also had the Dinan res delete already fitted so that may have helped out.

I would just recommend having a jack nearby to help get the exhaust in place and another set of hands always helps. The hardest part is getting the exhaust and mid pipe merged snugly.
yes i have a 2 arms motorcycle lift for that.

it should be effortless.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...EaApO2EALw_wcB
      12-14-2018, 11:31 PM   #4
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Make sure you don't cut the stock exhaust where the instructions say, cut a bit further back where the pipe is flat. If you do cut where they say you won't be able to ever put your stock exhaust back on without welding. They tell you to cut right at the weld for the stock resonator and it's impossible to clamp the stock exhaust back on there since there's no flat surface to seat the clamp.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Make sure you don't cut the stock exhaust where the instructions say, cut a bit further back where the pipe is flat. If you do cut where they say you won't be able to ever put your stock exhaust back on without welding. They tell you to cut right at the weld for the stock resonator and it's impossible to clamp the stock exhaust back on there since there's no flat surface to seat the clamp.
no the dimple location is rounded.

12-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7289155 View Post
no the dimple location is rounded.

I'm talking about from the res delete pipe to the stock pipe
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 07:42 AM   #7
850tgul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, F87 M2, F30 330xi, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Resurrecting this thread from the dead as I'm about to pick up a Dinan resonator delete and, looking at the installation instructions, I'm wondering if anyone has done what CosmosMpower mentioned here?, i.e. leaving a few inches of pipe after the Dinan recommended cut point. Not a big fan of irreversible mods and cutting where Dinan says wouldn't allow you to put the stock resonator back on without visiting an exhaust shop for a re-weld. Just curious if leaving some extra pipe would cause fitment issues? Thx
Current: 718 GT4 6MT, F87 M2 6MT, F30 330xi, F25 xdrive35i Gone: E82 128i M-Sport, 997.2 911, B8.5 S5, 987.2 Cayman, W211 E550, E92 M3, B8.5 S4, 981 Cayman, E82 128i, E46 M3, Z4MC, Mk5 GTI VR6, MZ3R, C5 Z06, B5 S4, Volvo T-5R, Volvo 740Ti
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 03:12 PM   #8
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850tgul View Post
Resurrecting this thread from the dead as I'm about to pick up a Dinan resonator delete and, looking at the installation instructions, I'm wondering if anyone has done what CosmosMpower mentioned here?, i.e. leaving a few inches of pipe after the Dinan recommended cut point. Not a big fan of irreversible mods and cutting where Dinan says wouldn't allow you to put the stock resonator back on without visiting an exhaust shop for a re-weld. Just curious if leaving some extra pipe would cause fitment issues? Thx
I have installed, de-installed, and re-installed the Dinan res delete several times to tweak my exhaust setup (current version I am happiest with is VSRF sport cat, dinan res delete, and dinan muffler). I am not aware of any way to install the res delete that would allow you to reinstall the muffler without welding. I understand the theory of leaving extra piping by not cutting at the dimple, but I think you would need to modify the res delete in order to avoid fitment issues. The welding necessary to reinstall the muffler is minimal, and a lot less hassle then trying to expand the existing piping with a mandrel to make some sort of slip joint work.
Appreciate 1
850tgul279.00