BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Winglets (How are they holding up)

12-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Winglets (How are they holding up)

How are the rear winglets holding up against road debris? I have a set and I am thinking about putting PPF on them before installing.
Attached Images

12-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Surely the only reason to have them in CF rather than injection moulded black plastic is because they resist road rash better?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Surely the only reason to have them in CF rather than injection moulded black plastic is because they resist road rash better?
Carbon Fiber chips. Ask anyone who has a CF roof. (My e92 M3 had a few chips)

Since that area of the M2 (most cars for that matter) is highly susceptible to debris damage, I wanted opinions on PPF for the winglets.
      12-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Professor MSP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2 DCT

For reference, I purchased my 2017 M2 in January 2018 with 2400 miles. The previous owner threw the entire M-Performance parts catalog on it, including the front and rear carbon fiber winglets.

The front winglets showed no signs of wear at 2400 miles, and still do not at 9200 miles. They were not covered in PPF. Note that the entire front of the car is otherwise covered in PPF.

The edge of the rear winglets was covered in PPF from the previous owner. The PPF on the short forward-facing edge of the winglets was loose when I purchased the car. I cut the loose PPF off and observed that the said edge had a slight sandblasted appearance. It was not visible unless you laid on the ground and looked under the car. I touched up the edge with clear coat and reapplied PPF to it.

Hope this helps.
      12-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor MSP View Post
For reference, I purchased my 2017 M2 in January 2018 with 2400 miles. The previous owner threw the entire M-Performance parts catalog on it, including the front and rear carbon fiber winglets.

The front winglets showed no signs of wear at 2400 miles, and still do not at 9200 miles. They were not covered in PPF. Note that the entire front of the car is otherwise covered in PPF.

The edge of the rear winglets was covered in PPF from the previous owner. The PPF on the short forward-facing edge of the winglets was loose when I purchased the car. I cut the loose PPF off and observed that the said edge had a slight sandblasted appearance. It was not visible unless you laid on the ground and looked under the car. I touched up the edge with clear coat and reapplied PPF to it.

Hope this helps.
The "slight sandblasting" is enough for me. I will have them covered in PPF.

Thanks!
      12-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #6
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

The car in the inside lane ran over some packaging material, spitting some of the more durable bits into my lane. It dented the leading edge of bumper cover below the numberplate. As one of the most robust areas of the bumper cover, it would probably have ripped the bumper winglet off had it hit there. They are consumable items. If this is a problem for you, either don't buy them, or demand some plastic ones like they sell for the M3/4...

Last edited by M Fifty; 12-14-2018 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
mjsaville
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LLB - Arrived 4th Mar 2017

Sounds totally sensible, very interested in this. I'm keen to what method you use in terms covering the leading edges. I'm worried the PPF starts to lift over time. Can it be safely glued down?

Thanks MJ
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsaville View Post
Sounds totally sensible, very interested in this. I'm keen to what method you use in terms covering the leading edges. I'm worried the PPF starts to lift over time. Can it be safely glued down?

Thanks MJ
I have never seen/heard of PPF coming off like described above. It wasn't put on right in the first place.