BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Brake Fluid Reservoir Questions

11-02-2018, 12:14 AM   #1
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Brake Fluid Reservoir Questions

Hi guys,

Probably stupid question but am I correct the brake fluid reservoir is located in the top left corner of the engine bay underneath the plastic cover? Literally couldn't find anything in the manual or even online.

I'm going to bleed the brakes with new fluid with a power bleeder fitted on the cap - just want to know with others with experience, is it the back left caliper to start first?

Lastly are there any funny tricks I will encounter or is it a straight forward nipple to unscrew for the fluid to bleed?

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Yes, it's under a plastic cover piece that you'll want to remove (it's 4 quarter-turn plastic tabs + 1 clip that hold it in place along with the rubber seal that runs along the strut bracing). It's the left side of the car, or top right of the engine bay if you're standing at the front looking in.

I have always gone with rear right, rear left, front right outer, front right inner, front left outer then front left inner (remember, there's 2 nipples for the front calipers). I did that based on furthest to nearest to the reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Thanks for the confirmation. Didn't realise there were two bleeder nipples on the front!

Also maybe mine is different (I have right hand side drive vehicle) - if standing in front of the car looking at the engine bay, the ABS module is under the plastic tab of the top right, and the reservoir is under the plastic tab of the top left.
Appreciate 0