BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > PSS4S or PSS5S or Cup 2 for dailly?

08-25-2023, 10:50 AM   #23
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

That's just marketing because racecar. Anyone who has driven with the cup 2 connect knows it's a great summer tire. Better in wet than the old 180tw cup 2. Expensive to run, and not the best track tire. Here's a random review. I'm not an expert, but I do have over 20k miles on cup 2 connects
. Including some track days. And destroyed a set of front tires. I still think they were defective and Michelin replaced them.

https://www.thedrive.com/guides-and-...re-review-test
      08-25-2023, 11:30 AM   #24
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
That's just marketing because racecar.
It's not just marketing, the tire was designed to literally drive to and from tracks. It's road legal for this reason alone.

Quote:
Anyone who has driven with the cup 2 connect knows it's a great summer tire.
It's absolutely a great Summer tire, under the correct conditions, and as long as you're willing to put up with increased noise, wear, and decreased rain performance (hope you have PPF).

Quote:
Expensive to run, and not the best track tire. Here's a random review.
Look harder. The Cup240 is a fantastic wearing track day tire, much better than almost all others in its category.

Quote:
I'm not an expert, but I do have over 20k miles on cup 2 connects.
The fact that you have 20K on your tires is proof that you're using the tire as intended, but that's your choice. My dog in this pony show is the people that give advice about tires when they know nothing about tires, based on their experience alone.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2023, 11:30 PM   #25
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
My dog in this pony show is the people that give advice about tires when they know nothing about tires, based on their experience alone.
That’s my gripe too.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2023, 06:38 PM   #26
fhr_6189
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Quote:
It's not just marketing, the tire was designed to literally drive to and from tracks. It's road legal for this reason alone.

It's absolutely a great Summer tire, under the correct conditions, and as long as you're willing to put up with increased noise, wear, and decreased rain performance (hope you have PPF).

Look harder. The Cup240 is a fantastic wearing track day tire, much better than almost all others in its category.

The fact that you have 20K on your tires is proof that you're using the tire as intended, but that's your choice. My dog in this pony show is the people that give advice about tires when they know nothing about tires, based on their experience alone.
Thanks for the knowledge. I'm used to the PSS4S for most of my cars. This is my first time with Cup2, we do occasionally get rain in CA, however, i usually drive my GX or 4runner when it's raining (I feel safer in bigger cars when raining LOL)
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      08-30-2023, 06:21 AM   #27
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Oh. Bridgestone have come out with a Cup 2 rival. Looks very good. This guy knows his stuff.

I have the Potenza Sport on my Aston which give more wet grip and better dry performance than 4S (which is an old tyre) and way better steering feel. Love them.

The new Potenza Race looks very tempting (if you live in a warm climate).

RE-71RS is of course an actual track tyre.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6IUUNMJddJU
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 06:38 AM   #28
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I hate to agree with Davil (), but I would say this Cup 240 Star was definitely developed for this car. It was on prototypes and carries BMW * designation and is the only 245/265 Cup 2 Star application.

Overall I agree with you though that this is a track tire and it's not good enough in rain to be worth using on the street.
Pros: Great when warmed up on hot dry pavement.

Cons: Not so great under all other conditions.

Moral of the story, drive the Cup2s when appropriate.

Carry on...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 08:41 AM   #29
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Oh. Bridgestone have come out with a Cup 2 rival. Looks very good. This guy knows his stuff.

I have the Potenza Sport on my Aston which give more wet grip and better dry performance than 4S (which is an old tyre) and way better steering feel. Love them.

The new Potenza Race looks very tempting (if you live in a warm climate).

RE-71RS is of course an actual track tyre.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6IUUNMJddJU
Jonathan is the best in the business, and the new Race is probably going to be the new benchmark. My only question about that tire is how well it takes heat-cycling. We all know people are using these mostly-track-intended tires on the road, and one of the strengths of the Cup240 is its resistance to heat-cycling, ie getting hard, less grippy, and loud when used as a normal road tire. The Cup240 isn't great, but it works. Hopefully the Race won't be a let-down in this area.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 08:55 AM   #30
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jonathan is the best in the business, and the new Race is probably going to be the new benchmark. My only question about that tire is how well it takes heat-cycling. We all know people are using these mostly-track-intended tires on the road, and one of the strengths of the Cup240 is its resistance to heat-cycling, ie getting hard, less grippy, and loud when used as a normal road tire. The Cup240 isn't great, but it works. Hopefully the Race won't be a let-down in this area.
Another nicety is that Costco will likely carry the Race. Do you think the Race is going to be quicker than the RE71RS? I'm planning to run the latter because I can get it in 295 and at Costco. It also seems to be a very consistent and well wearing tire. I'd try the Nankang CRS if I could get it in that size for a good price. Sorry that this is off the Michelin topic.
      08-30-2023, 10:34 AM   #31
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Another nicety is that Costco will likely carry the Race. Do you think the Race is going to be quicker than the RE71RS? I'm planning to run the latter because I can get it in 295 and at Costco. It also seems to be a very consistent and well wearing tire. I'd try the Nankang CRS if I could get it in that size for a good price. Sorry that this is off the Michelin topic.
The Race will be better on the road than the 71RS, and the 71RS will be better on track.

Race = fast road, canyons, etc
71RS = HPDE
Appreciate 2
Davil6524.50
      08-30-2023, 11:41 AM   #32
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
That's just marketing because racecar. Anyone who has driven with the cup 2 connect knows it's a great summer tire. Better in wet than the old 180tw cup 2. Expensive to run, and not the best track tire. Here's a random review. I'm not an expert, but I do have over 20k miles on cup 2 connects
. Including some track days. And destroyed a set of front tires. I still think they were defective and Michelin replaced them.

https://www.thedrive.com/guides-and-...re-review-test
Agree with this. In practice, Cup 2s are a great high performance road tire with decent track performance - basically endurance tire performance without endurance tire longevity. Probably good for the driver that has good ambient conditions year round, does a track day here and there, and doesn't mind the high replacement cost.

My Cup 2s lasted maybe 8k miles with 8 track days on them last year. They were definitely heat cycled out well before the cords. I wouldn't run them again - they're much too temperamental with tire pressures, do not last very long, and suffer from dual usage heat cycles. There are much better and cheaper tires out there for track users. Any standard endurance tire will give you Cup 2 performance or better yet will actually endure a whole season.
CSBM52722.50
      08-31-2023, 07:46 AM   #33
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Agree with this. In practice, Cup 2s are a great high performance road tire with decent track performance.
I'm disagreeing/agreeing with this statement because a.) the manufacturer calls it a track tire, and b.) it doesn't really work well as a road tire unless the circumstances are absolutely perfect. If all you do is drive on hot days on perfect canyon roads, your car is covered in PPF, and you have more money than you know what to do with so you can replace tires every 10K, then I agree that it's a brilliant road tire.

However, in all other instances the Cup240 is terrible compared to a normal road tire like the PS4S that's quieter, warms up quicker, lasts longer, rides better, doesn't shot-peen your car with rocks and is less expensive. I guess it's true what they say; comparison is the thief of joy.
Appreciate 1
m2ss1790.00
      08-31-2023, 07:53 AM   #34
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
I'm disagreeing/agreeing with this statement because a.) the manufacturer calls it a track tire, and b.) it doesn't really work well as a road tire unless the circumstances are absolutely perfect. If all you do is drive on hot days on perfect canyon roads, your car is covered in PPF, and you have more money than you know what to do with so you can replace tires every 10K, then I agree that it's a brilliant road tire.
LOL...this basically sums it up!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 08:13 AM   #35
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

However, in all other instances the Cup240 is terrible compared to a normal road tire like the PS4S that's quieter, warms up quicker, lasts longer, rides better, doesn't shot-peen your car with rocks and is less expensive. I guess it's true what they say; comparison is the thief of joy.
This thread has convinced me I must be a cup240 fanboy. A lot of people seem to pick the cup2 for how it feels/rides. Based on the track connect sensors/kit this tire warms up very quickly to the "green zone". ~75F.

Agree: it's expensive, sandblasts your paint, shorter life span. You're paying a premium, not just in the tire, because you like the feel of this tire and added feedback it gives. Maybe I like/tolerate it because it's my DD and I'm not driving a GT3 or something on the weekend that puts the CS "feel" to shame.

Ps4s: much better in cold and wet.

Cup2: I wouldn't call it a terrible tire in wet. It's actually pretty darn good in the wet for driving from A to B. It gets treated like driving this tire in the rain will immediately result in the need for a tow truck. It's my opinion that there is a mile of difference between the 180tw cup 2 and the 240tw cup2. Like they shouldn't even both be called a cup2 tire.

Don't be afraid to try the cup2 if you can tolerate some tradeoffs mentioned above. I highly recommend PPF.
      08-31-2023, 08:34 AM   #36
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
This thread has convinced me I must be a cup240 fanboy.
I think it just works well for your needs, and you're not willing to give up the bits that make it special. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
You're paying a premium, not just in the tire, because you like the feel of this tire and added feedback it gives.
Under specific circumstances, yes. "Feel" can mean different things. Most prefer the feel of a softer sidewall and quiet of a 300/320 tw tire, even if the turn-in isn't as great. You're a racer at heart.

Quote:
Cup2: I wouldn't call it a terrible tire in wet. It's actually pretty darn good in the wet for driving from A to B. It gets treated like driving this tire in the rain will immediately result in the need for a tow truck.
It all depends on the tread depth and the amount of standing water. I drove full SLICKS on my Exige on the street for 3 Summers without issue, and yes, sometimes in the rain (but I never got the car above 45 mph, and never drove on any highway).

Quote:
It's my opinion that there is a mile of difference between the 180tw cup 2 and the 240tw cup2. Like they shouldn't even both be called a cup2 tire.
100% agree. 180 tw is Cup2, 240 tw is Cup3.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-31-2023, 10:17 AM   #37
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

I know they’re marketed as a track tire and certainly could be if they were run as a dedicated set, but then you run into the inconvenient fact that a set of RS4s is as fast on track for significantly less money and lasts significantly longer in both heat cycles and tread. IMO Cup 2s are better served as a road tire than you can take to the track occasionally. I agree that a 4S is a much better road tire tho. The only thing that a 4S or any other UHP tire can’t beat on the Cup 2s is steering feel on the road - that was my favorite part of my set but that wouldn’t be enough to make me choose it over a 4S for a daily driver.

I found Cup 2s are serviceable in the wet and cold (above 40 F), certainly not fun but also will get you where you need to go. But they’re an LA canyon tire for sure.
///MPhatic13862.50
      08-31-2023, 01:32 PM   #38
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
...but then you run into the inconvenient fact that a set of RS4s is as fast on track for significantly less money and lasts significantly longer in both heat cycles and tread.
The RS4 stands alone though, as it was made to be that way, it's the bargain buster tire.

Quote:
IMO Cup 2s are better served as a road tire than you can take to the track occasionally.
If you don't mind the rocks, ride, noise, and wear. lol

Quote:
The only thing that a 4S or any other UHP tire can’t beat on the Cup 2s is steering feel on the road - that was my favorite part of my set but that wouldn’t be enough to make me choose it over a 4S for a daily driver.
100% agree.

Quote:
I found Cup 2s are serviceable in the wet and cold (above 40 F), certainly not fun but also will get you where you need to go.
I agree with this until they get some wear, which happens so fast, then they become absolutely treacherous, especially in standing water.

It's what I dislike about the PSS as well, it's such a fantastic tire, even to this day, but once it gets some wear on it, forget it, just terrible except for hot days in the canyons.

Quote:
But they’re an LA canyon tire for sure.
Exactly. Michelin Pilot Sport Canyon 240. I like it!
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      08-31-2023, 05:24 PM   #39
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

The PS4s i had were quiet and lasted but they were not good for steering feel and they made the car seem heavier compared to the Cup2s because of sidewall rollover. Even the original PS2 had more road feel than the PS4.
It really comes down what you want your car to be, a canyon carver with more of a sports car feel or a comfortable sports coupe. Personally I want my car too feel like a sports car everytime I drive it.
Appreciate 2
Davil6524.50
chris7197334.00
      09-03-2023, 12:24 AM   #40
fhr_6189
Private
Rep

So I'm new to this Cup 2s.
From my understanding, I should get Cup2s connect and not Cup2s.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 08:28 AM   #41
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

The Cup 2 180 (older model) has a 180 tread rating. The newer Cup 2 240 has a 240 wear rating and comes as a Connect or the non-connect version. It's also the tire along with the 763 wheels that could be ordered with the M2 Comp from BMW. The M2 CS could come on the CS from the factory. Personally I prefer the cup 2 240 since I'm not tracking on them.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
      09-03-2023, 08:57 AM   #42
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

What tire will retain the steering feel of the OEM Super Sports, or as close as possible? I keep reading that the PS4s are a great tire but you lose the some of the connected feeling. I’m willing to deal with some of the shortfalls of the Cup 2s if they maintain this. Weekend driver so not as worried about tread wear issues.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2023, 08:57 AM   #43
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhr_6189 View Post
So I'm new to this Cup 2s.
From my understanding, I should get Cup2s connect and not Cup2s.
It depends on how you're going to use the tire.

Serious all track: Cup2R (140)
All track: Cup180
Mostly track with some street: Cup240
Mostly street with the rare HPDE: PS4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
What tire will retain the steering feel of the OEM Super Sports, or as close as possible? I keep reading that the PS4s are a great tire but you lose the some of the connected feeling. I’m willing to deal with some of the shortfalls of the Cup 2s if they maintain this. Weekend driver so not as worried about tread wear issues.
If you're not driving in rain or in cold temps, then the Cup240 is going to give you what you need, just be aware of the rocks that it throws, so PPF is preferred in the hot spots.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2023, 05:17 PM   #44
fhr_6189
Private
Rep

So far the OEM Cup2s on the M2CS is great (CA weather so far its fine). However, i just saw the video by tyres guy on youtube and there's 2 other tires that intrigue me: Goodyear and Bridgestone. I'm tempting to try this once the tires tread go low. What yall think about it the 2 options?

Originally this M2CS will be my daily, however, I have too many cars for this to be a daily so if it's not going to be dailly, I should stick with the expert (Cup2s).
Appreciate 0