BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Anyone install the Performance Suspension Yet?

04-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #45
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post

1. Start planning a driveway rebuild
2. Approach at an agle until the rebuild is finished
3. Rebuild day
4. Install M Performance coilovers
5. Lower the car
6. Profit???

From the first picture, it does not look that bad. Our driveway looks to be steeper and I do not scrape even when going straight (99% sure muh ride height is lower than yours.)
LOL

Yeah, I have a hair under an inch of clearance. This car definitely sits lower than my 135 did. The problem is that I have a channel for rain water. Crossing that low point is where the problem is. A friend suggested a get a large piece of steel. I'm sure my neighbors would love that. :P

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #46
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
LOL

Yeah, I have a hair under an inch of clearance. This car definitely sits lower than my 135 did. The problem is that I have a channel for rain water. Crossing that low point is where the problem is. A friend suggested a get a large piece of steel. I'm sure my neighbors would love that. :P
Christ. That would be a nightmare in the winter!

Just checked the specs and I think I found the problem - the front overhang of the F87 is 31.8 inches while the E82's is 29.6 inches. A big difference. :/

Some trench drain grate (sp?) would help you, as your friend said.

Last edited by swagon; 04-17-2016 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #47
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Christ. That would be a nightmare in the winter!
Yeah, the year we moved in, it iced that very day and we couldn't get the cars out for the next two days. The good news was we had a lot of unpacking to do so it didn't matter. Fortunately, that kind of weather is pretty rare in Austin.

Quote:
Just checked the specs and I think I found the problem - the front overhang of the F87 is 31.8 inches while the E82's is 29.6 inches. A big difference. :/
Ah, that explains it and makes a lot more sense. Nice find.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 10:26 PM   #48
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Interesting.. yeah, it is the immediate incline just after the decline of the driveway which is causing the difficult entry. Didn't notice that until the later side view pic.

I had to drive down a driveway into my underground garage parking with the GT4 and was almost positive I would scrape even when turning tires 45 degrees. Fortunately, when I brought the car back home for the first time it barely cleared. I let out a deep exhale..haha! I actually only scraped that front lip once or twice in those 6 months of driving. And on both those times I was just being impatient at my driveway.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #49
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

So I collected my car today. Man does it look awesome with the M Performance suspension. This is at the BMW recommended height and setting. I have just driven the car for 20 min so neither has the suspension been worn in nor have I adjusted from my earlier car.

Unfortunately I haven't driven a stock M2, but I will take care of that soon but it is a pretty harsh ride. It is has less comfort than my F30 had with the Bilstein B14 on. Not for everyone thats for sure, I don't know how much you can soften it up with the settings and I also noticed I have 2.5 bar instead of the recommended 2.2 bar from BMW. So I will have to play around with it some more.

Name:  f87.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  388.7 KB
Appreciate 6
bmwv107.50
      04-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #50
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

^^ Looks great!
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #51
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
So I collected my car today. Man does it look awesome with the M Performance suspension. This is at the BMW recommended height and setting. I have just driven the car for 20 min so neither has the suspension been worn in nor have I adjusted from my earlier car.
:O stance on point yooooo

as the kids would say.

Congratulations on the whip, mate.
      04-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #52
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
I guess we have different definitions of sexy.

It's the wife's DD. I thought someone with an X4 M would appreciate a tuned 400 bhp X1 (closest thing BMW gave us to a 335 wagon/135 hatch at the time).

And here I was, trying to extend an olive branch. For a Dr. and an alleged 15 year HPDE instructor, you sure ask a lot of silly questions. But alas, I guess there are no such things. At least next time, try the right forum. Or maybe just ask your tech?
I had an x1 35i (last gen) as a loaner one time when I was getting my 1M serviced. That car was waaaaay more fun than any of the 3 series loaners I had. It handled better, was faster and actually more car like than about 80% of the bloated stuff BMW sells. I loved it.
Same here. And so I bought one 3 months ago.
I love it !

I didn't need the 35 I just got the 28.. If I need to risk my license I'll take the 1M ..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #53
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon
Quote:
:O that stance on point yooooo

as the kids would say.
true story
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #54
jcrb
Not-So-New Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 02 E46 M3, 16 F87 M2

Quote:

Unfortunately I haven't driven a stock M2, but I will take care of that soon but it is a pretty harsh ride. It is has less comfort than my F30 had with the Bilstein B14 on. Not for everyone thats for sure, I don't know how much you can soften it up with the settings and I also noticed I have 2.5 bar instead of the recommended 2.2 bar from BMW. So I will have to play around with it some more.
Looks awesome!!! It is at the BMW recommended height that means it can still go lower? I really would want to see how low can those coilovers go before I make a decision between this or KW V3....

Core of WrongFitmentCocks
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #55
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrb View Post
Looks awesome!!! It is at the BMW recommended height that means it can still go lower? I really would want to see how low can those coilovers go before I make a decision between this or KW V3....
Yes, it can go lower. Don't know how much but there isn't much room to go lower up front if you want to be able to turn the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #56
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
Any updates on how you are finding the height and firmness with a few more days driving? I am eager to try mine but looks like the weekend earliest now for me
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #57
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M+M View Post
Any updates on how you are finding the height and firmness with a few more days driving? I am eager to try mine but looks like the weekend earliest now for me
x2. Any update?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 06:13 AM   #58
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
x2. Any update?
I have done about 1400km now on mine and have found it to be a perfectly acceptable ride around town and city driving albeit over speed bumps and kerbs etc it does feel like there is very little compliance. It does smooth out once moving.
At higher road speeds around corners it feels very flat, weight transfer is felt but hardly any roll to speak of.

This is all at the recommended road shock settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #59
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I have done about 1400km now on mine and have found it to be a perfectly acceptable ride around town and city driving albeit over speed bumps and kerbs etc it does feel like there is very little compliance. It does smooth out once moving.
At higher road speeds around corners it feels very flat, weight transfer is felt but hardly any roll to speak of.

This is all at the recommended road shock settings.
+100

I couldn't have put it better myself. It is exactly how I experience them...

A bit rough over speed bumps and railroad tracks etc at walking speed but any speed over that they are awesome. Not one person of my non car friends has complained about the ride being very harsh or anything either.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #60
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Sadly, not gonna be in my future.

WOWSERS how low is that, whats that car set up with the MPerf suspension at its lowest?
      06-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #61
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris View Post
WOWSERS how low is that, whats that car set up with the MPerf suspension at its lowest?
Unfortunately, that is stock. Without some sort of bridge to span the dip, I don't think I can put any sort of drop on the car. I'm hoping it will look ok with my wheels that I am getting in the next couple of weeks. We shall see. I may have to get creative as I would love to get the MPS and lower it as metrickid did. I think his setup is absolutely perfect.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #62
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is stock. Without some sort of bridge to span the dip, I don't think I can put any sort of drop on the car. I'm hoping it will look ok with my wheels that I am getting in the next couple of weeks. We shall see. I may have to get creative as I would love to get the MPS and lower it as metrickid did. I think his setup is absolutely perfect.
Build the bridge!
It looks so much better and especially with the aggressive setup you have coming!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #63
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
a quick and easy solution might be to get a couple of steel plates to bridge it with. If you want it to look less agricultural get them painted. Just saying .... so you can sort the car as it sounds like you really do want the mods.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #64
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
a quick and easy solution might be to get a couple of steel plates to bridge it with. If you want it to look less agricultural get them painted. Just saying .... so you can sort the car as it sounds like you really do want the mods.
I think both my wife and the HOA would have something to say about such a solution. Still dreaming up ideas but appreciate the support! :P
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 06:47 AM   #65
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think both my wife and the HOA would have something to say about such a solution. Still dreaming up ideas but appreciate the support! :P
haha yea I know. Well go the other way then - new driveway. Look at it like this. It would be a good investment because sooner or later there will be an M2 GTS or CSL and you will think you wouldn't mind one then you will really be stuffed unless you do it now.....
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 07:47 AM   #66
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
haha yea I know. Well go the other way then - new driveway. Look at it like this. It would be a good investment because sooner or later there will be an M2 GTS or CSL and you will think you wouldn't mind one then you will really be stuffed unless you do it now.....
Can only imagine what that would cost. I think moving would be the only realistic solution. I'd like to have a third garage anyway.
Appreciate 0