BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 interior shows DCT, blue contrast stitching, M steering wheel

07-13-2015, 03:46 AM   #265
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

What a time to be alive. Stitching and "M seats" is what makes an M car an M car.

It's the original PYRAT. Just updated for 2016 to reflect the market requirements - DCT and sunroof that is. Hence the nickname PYRAT2.

Got it, people?
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2015, 06:10 AM   #266
nick85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I hope the interior looks good, BMW interior is always a bit lacking for the same price bracket vs its competitors.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 06:17 AM   #267
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
What a time to be alive. Stitching and "M seats" is what makes an M car an M car.

It's the original PYRAT. Just updated for 2016 to reflect the market requirements - DCT and sunroof that is. Hence the nickname PYRAT2.

Got it, people?
I tell you, it's the stitching that will send a tingle down your spin!!! Not the wide body, not the F8X suspension, not the added horsepower! It's the blue stitching on the seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #268
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
While I am sick of the bitch fest, those are the final production seats. Why would they add contrast stitching then? For fun?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #269
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

so in conclusion looks like the limited interior of the M2 is BMW's way to put separation between the M2 and M3,M4, i am totally ok with the majority of the separation being in the visual department
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:01 PM   #270
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

In the leaked pics of the interior, the side bolsters look a little bit beefier than the M235i. I've never sat in an M235i but would be curious to know if "upgraded" M235i seats could be comparable to M3/4 seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #271
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Well I've been following along with a fair bit of interest and I might be a little disappointed if the car has the same seats as the M235i. Like I mentioned before...

Audi S3 optional Nappa leather Super Sport seats:

CLA45 AMG optional Recaros:

Audi RS3 seats (not sure which option these are):
I don't know about MB's Recaro's but the S3 optional seats are fully MANUAL, no power adjustments.
Now, some may like that, but those who want something better, special, more premium, are also willing to do without power seats, and that seams at odds to me.

I drove an S3 with the stock sport seats and they are fantastic seats just like the sport seats in my 335i Msport as well as my 135i.
The stock BMW sport seats are excellent for daily spirited driving.
If someone needs more bolstering for track use there are many aftermarket options.
BMW's sport seats are raved about in the automotive press, and yet BMW owners on here act as if they are not up to snuff.
I disagree, as I think they are great.

BTW, the S3 is a fantastic automobile. Lots of fun to drive and I wanted to keep driving it but had to go back to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #272
SGL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine M2

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
In the leaked pics of the interior, the side bolsters look a little bit beefier than the M235i. I've never sat in an M235i but would be curious to know if "upgraded" M235i seats could be comparable to M3/4 seats.
Does anyone know the actual dimensions of the M3/M4 seat? I keep wondering if the M3/M4 seats are too large for the M2, and they may be adapting the M235i seats into a unique seat that has larger bolsters than the M235i, but overall isn't as large as the M3/M4 seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #273
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post

Got it, people?
I'm not saying M seats make an M car an M car. I just think it's something that shouldn't really need to be discussed. I'm not saying it should come with 3 seating options like a Cayman or anything. Again, not sure how wanting M seats in an M car is outlandish. People just have different wants and needs in a car and sometimes they differ, no biggie. I really am rooting for this car. I mean I've been driving a Mazda 3 for a year waiting for it instead of getting an F80 lol so I really do hope it is great.

Last edited by bobloblaw; 07-13-2015 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #274
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

So No S engine, no CF roof, no hood bulge, shite colours and standard m235i seats. S3, RS3, heck even a golf GTi has better seats. You cover the seats getting us all wet all for what blue stitching?? BMW you have lost it!

If your game is to make those that want these things move to M4 it ain't happening with me. I'm off to buy a cayman
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #275
IS3andME
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
So No S engine, no CF roof, no hood bulge, shite colours and standard m235i seats. S3, RS3, heck even a golf GTi has better seats. You cover the seats getting us all wet all for what blue stitching?? BMW you have lost it!

If your game is to make those that want these things move to M4 it ain't happening with me. I'm off to buy a cayman
Don't need:
A hood bulge
Stitching on seats
CF roof (GT3RS has a magnesium roof).

I see a gripe of no S engine, possibly the CF roof.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #276
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

No they haven't. It's exactly what they said it would be. It's been known since the beginning that the project would be called Pyrat 2.

While there's an off chance that I might get an F80, the M2 is still one of the most exciting thing BMW has done in years.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #277
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I don't know about MB's Recaro's but the S3 optional seats are fully MANUAL, no power adjustments.
Now, some may like that, but those who want something better, special, more premium, are also willing to do without power seats, and that seams at odds to me.

I drove an S3 with the stock sport seats and they are fantastic seats just like the sport seats in my 335i Msport as well as my 135i.
The stock BMW sport seats are excellent for daily spirited driving.
If someone needs more bolstering for track use there are many aftermarket options.
BMW's sport seats are raved about in the automotive press, and yet BMW owners on here act as if they are not up to snuff.
I disagree, as I think they are great.

BTW, the S3 is a fantastic automobile. Lots of fun to drive and I wanted to keep driving it but had to go back to the dealership.
No argument for me about any of that, but with all the development time that they didn't have for the 1M, I'm curious to see how much better this car will be. We know it will be better on paper. It will certainly be faster. But it looks like they are using the same recipe as the 1M, just replacing a few ingredients. Nothing is being added that isn't a direct replacement of the original, so if the car is just better in terms of how cars get better from generation to generation, then it's a bit lame. Will that make the car bad? No... will I shrug my shoulders at BMW wondering wtf? Yes...

I find it hard to believe that given the longer development window, all they figured out how to do was apply more than two colors to a vehicle during its production lifecycle.
      07-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #278
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Don't need: [...]
CF roof (GT3RS has a magnesium roof).
Find the flaw in the following syllogism:
  • major: an ///M car without CF roof is "weak sauce"
  • minor: the BMW GT6 Vision Concept, BMW 1M and BMW M2 base version feature no CF roof
  • conclusio: the BMW GT6 Vision Concept, BMW 1M and BMW M2 base version are "weak sauce"

07-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #279
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:

No they haven't. It's exactly what they said it would be. It's been known since the beginning that the project would be called Pyrat 2.

While there's an off chance that I might get an F80, the M2 is still one of the most exciting thing BMW has done in years.
Seems you and others are always coming to the defence of this M2 and BMW. It is not a parts bin special rush job like the 1M as we know and they have had plenty of time to plan this car out. It's obvious it is being held back. I'm sure it will deliver in being a drivers car just like the 1M was however the M cars have since evolved to include CF roof as standard and unique M seats. So why shouldn't the 2 get this treatment especially if it to be the better drivers car.

There are people that don't want the F8x because it is too big, sounds dull and unexciting in the higher rev range and not a car that you can explore most of its potential on a nice back road like its predecessors. So BMW brings out the M2 and us enthusiasts who let's face it, will be majority of the target audience for this car feel short changed.

No power dome ok I can live with that, but CF roof and seats are functional and just add to the flavour. If they don't do CF roof ok fine I will get over it but to then not to do seats and just throw blue stitching on 2 series seats. Sorry BMW you HAVE lost it and you have lost me.

I'm not writing these comments to argue or debate anyone only to voice MY opinion in hopes that BMW are taking note.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #280
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Seems you and others are always coming to the defence of this M2 and BMW. It is not a parts bin special rush job like the 1M as we know and they have had plenty of time to plan this car out. It's obvious it is being held back. I'm sure it will deliver in being a drivers car just like the 1M was however the M cars have since evolved to include CF roof as standard and unique M seats. So why shouldn't the 2 get this treatment especially if it to be the better drivers car.

There are people that don't want the F8x because it is too big, sounds dull and unexciting in the higher rev range and not a car that you can explore most of its potential on a nice back road like its predecessors. So BMW brings out the M2 and us enthusiasts who let's face it, will be majority of the target audience for this car feel short changed.

No power dome ok I can live with that, but CF roof and seats are functional and just add to the flavour. If they don't do CF roof ok fine I will get over it but to then not to do seats and just throw blue stitching on 2 series seats. Sorry BMW you HAVE lost it and you have lost me.

I'm not writing these comments to argue or debate anyone only to voice MY opinion in hopes that BMW are taking note.
Obviously, you and I have completely different priorities when it comes to what we want the M2 to be. I know for my E92 M3, the seats and CF roof are not the reason why I bought the car. Also, if you think the F8x is unexciting at higher revs, I have no idea why you'd even consider the M2.

Either way, good luck with your next car search.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #281
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

Iam With You Haz!! This Is Your Last Chance Bmw Or Iam Gone.
      07-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #282
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:

Obviously, you and I have completely different priorities when it comes to what we want the M2 to be. I know for my E92 M3, the seats and CF roof are not the reason why I bought the car. Also, if you think the F8x is unexciting at higher revs, I have no idea why you'd even consider the M2.

Either way, good luck with your next car search.
Ok so I'm going to assume that a big part of why you bought your e92 is the engine. The intoxicating sound winding it out to 8400rpm. Same goes with my e46 it's just a piece but a MAJOR one Both these cars need to be taken by the scruff of the neck and driven in the high rev band to come alive. That feeling has been lost with the F8x. Nothing exciting happens beyond 6000rpm, there is no gain above it, it's all about short shifting and utilising that massive torque. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in denial. Sure it's a great engine but it lacks soul. I want to wind an M car out not short shift at 5k each gear. Plenty of other cars to do that.

The reason I am looking at the M2 is for a modern interpretation of my E46 and it's been stated in many m235i reviews and even 1M that the engine sounds great and encourages taking it to redline. All the F8x comments regarding the engine are the opposite. I've driven one and I agree but would like some more seat time.
So I hope that they can improve on the positives of the N55 and make it exciting. If they want to make the M2 just about wide fenders, better brakes, newer tech diff then I'll happily stick with my E46, look at e92/1M or look at Porsche because if I am going to spend the big $$$ on my first brand new M,I want it to be SPECIAL and unique in its model series.

BMW has made the choice to go turbo while others like porsche, AMG, audi etc can manage to stay NA. If that's the choice they have made then they should spend the time making it sound decent. I still don't get why they couldn't have stayed small block v8 with turbochargers. Anyway I'm going way off topic now.
BMW sort your sh*t out please so I don't have to restrict myself to a 2 seater cayman GTS that is a pure drivers car not lacking any character or soul.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #283
IS3andME
Major
Rep

The bone of contention here seems, that the M2 is an "M car" because M Division says it is. But, people are feeling shafted---all the other "M cars" get "M engines", specifically "S engines", and CF roofs as well as other bits.

Some of us don't mind, but in the back of our minds, do we also feel that "I bought into it"? Like this is a half hearted M car, seemingly M Division is ham strung by the bean counters. I am willing to bet, that the M engineers, if give. The go ahead would have developed an M engine for this car. So, they have to sign off on this car, smile...let the chassis development shine thru, and let marketing do the rest.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 05:43 AM   #284
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Hazey, I hear ya!

Noting what we pay down under for cars, we should get better value. The new RS3 is AU$90k plus takes and on road costs, loaded with ceramics and racing seats maybe $100k. The M2 is likely to hit at circa AU$110k plus options and taxes and on road costs ($AU$10k over a 1M). I don't compare the two for obvious reasons, BUT, Audi can do it, load the car with what an RS should have and deliver it to market, so why can't bmw?

Even my little frog has bespoke seats and harnesses and some luxury items lol

And, dare I say, contrasting stitching and seatbelts ; )
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 06:40 AM   #285
Glassjaw047
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Estoril Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2 View Post
well that would increase the overall cost of production by $6

im good with everything ive seen so far, its all about bmw finding that balance
LMAO I might have to ask them to do an individual on my M2 for that but I don't know if the Leipzig Plant can handle blue stitching on a center console arm rest
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4XE Summit Reserve (Current)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #286
Glassjaw047
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Estoril Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

Not trying to say you're wrong or anything but the way I see things is just because it's being called "Pyrat 2" doesn't mean they have to implement the same boring stitching like they did in the 1M ("Pyrat"). With the next generation (being the 2 Series), you would think there would be an improvement off the 1 Series/1M which there most definitely has been already but with the M2 coming you would just think that we'd see an interior besides blue stitching that would distinguish itself apart from the rest of the line. Just what I would think and I'm sure many others. But in the end I'm not going to be pissed off about seats or anything of that nature because once revealed, I know it's going to be one heck of a machine

Understand where I'm coming from on that?
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4XE Summit Reserve (Current)

Last edited by Glassjaw047; 07-14-2015 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 1