BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Buying question...are they rare?$$$

02-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #1
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

Buying question...are they rare?$$$

I'm seriously considering a CS. From what I can gather, there are 50 or so available in the USA, out of the supposed 400 allocated to the states.

All I've discussed with dealers can be purchased at MSRP. Fair enough, for a highly desirable car, I guess.

But Limited Edition, highly desirable cars usually are hard to come by and sell for a premium OVER MSRP. Why is this one so "easy" to buy and not at a premium over MSRP? (besides being overpriced)

Don't get me wrong, I see what the car is and what it can be down the road. But normally cars that are produced and marketed like this are, well, harder to come by.

What am I missing?

TIA.

Nick
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2021, 06:07 PM   #2
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

The car is hard to come by. If you don't have a deposit down on a stickshift, you likely aren't getting one at this point without markup or being lucky and finding one not delivered yet with no deposit. Most that you see on autotrader have deposits down, are already sold, or have markup.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #3
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

You're not too late, yet. That being said, depends on how specific you are with what spec you want. Cup2 is probably the hardest spec to find (being a P1 option) but fairly easy to buy after you get the car.
If you decide to buy one, go through the last few pages of the "below MSRP leads" thread. There's a search tool in there (much more useful than autotrader) and you can reach out to members who've posted they have a lead on an allocation that matches the spec you want.
Appreciate 1
MomoM3984.00
      02-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #4
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Bottom line is it's a BMW not a exotic. It's a BMW and their recent track record with recent limited edition models tells you to BE CAREFUL and not overpay for hype. Speaking of possible paying for hype, buyers need to select carefully as it's $25+k more expensive than it's older brother the COMP.

Let's go back in time a little I would like to make a point about HOT CARS, Limited production, MSRP.

E30 M3 and LTW's were discounted from MSRP. A select few wanted those cars. They changed the Red on the E30 M3 from Henna to Cinnabar in hopes it would sell better. The LTW's didn't have AC or Radios yet were listed for a premium and sat on lots for in some cases over a year. 126 were made.

When it comes down to it...it doesn't matter what they list for and or sell for. The legend of the M2CS will grow. Listen to what the owners are telling us about the car. It starts with an ass in a seat and the right foot down. EVO COTY puts it in rarified air. It's pedigree / legacy is off to a wonderful start.

So are you complaining that you're able to get one and the price is too low? Consider yourself lucky and pull the trigger. It doesn't happen very often with BMW these days but they nailed it with this one.
      02-05-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
If paying msrp concerns you, there are dealers charging $20k+ over the $85k msrp that would be happy to take your money.

Joking aside, 6mt might be hard to find at this point at msrp or less. DCT should be easier. There are still cars that haven't been delivered to the dealerships yet so who knows what's out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 09:48 PM   #6
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

It will probably lose a little less money than an M2 Comp over the next ten years. Anything better is a bonus.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:23 PM   #7
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
I'm not sure I follow. A GT4 can be ordered right now at MSRP as well. Really only certain dealers charge over for P-Cars like GT3 and GT RS models.

Last BMW I recall going over MSRP was a 1M, and even that could be found for minimal premiums.

Not sure who are all these people paying over MSRP for even rare desirable cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 11:30 PM   #8
eijiboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: corolla

Remeber what happen to m4 gts. Was overpriced like this m2cs. 2years later you can buy one for almost half the price that is nearly new with less than 2k miles. M4 gts was more limited than this m2cs and yet it went down the drain.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 11:47 PM   #9
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eijiboy View Post
Remeber what happen to m4 gts. Was overpriced like this m2cs. 2years later you can buy one for almost half the price that is nearly new with less than 2k miles. M4 gts was more limited than this m2cs and yet it went down the drain.
But neither was available in manual. Take rate on manual M2 CS is 70% which says a lot.

Also, the M3/M4 CS were a lot more expensive too so that's another factor.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2021, 11:55 PM   #10
eijiboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Quote:
But neither was available in manual. Take rate on manual M2 CS is 70% which says a lot.

So does m2cs. 25k over m2c.overprice is the reason why these cars are not flying off the shelf even though they are rare just like what the big brother m4cs gts.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 12:22 AM   #11
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
So does m2cs. 25k over m2c.overprice is the reason why these cars are not flying off the shelf even though they are rare just like what the big brother m4cs gts.
Overpriced? Maybe. But the market for used $100k+ BMWs is really small and competition is tougher in that price range. Would be surprised if they start climbing again in another 3-5 years. New M3/M4 are not pretty and gained a lot of weight.

Also don't forget there was a time you could pick up an E30 M3 for 20k. Now not so much.

These things are not easy to predict.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 12:45 AM   #12
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What are you talking about? These cars are almost sold out. If you want a manual transmission you might not be able to find the spec you want anymore.

Overpriced compared to an M2C, sure. But I was in the market for an $85-95k manual BMW and cross shopped the F80 M4 - didn't consider the M2C even once.

M3/M4 CS/GTS were not available in a manual which also likely contributed to the lack of interest from die hard aficionados.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 12:46 AM   #13
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I paid 5k over MSRP for my 1M in 2011....tough pill to swallow at the time as I had never paid MSRP for a car. I was happy to put a deposit down for an MSRP allocation in the CS, and it is a far more refined and faster car out of the box. I plan to keep it (as I'll keep the properly used 1M) so I really don't care what it will be worth next year. That's just my 0.02.

Oh, and I sold my 134,000 mile 1986 e30 325e today for $$7500 cash. That's a stock non-performance base model tourer with its fair share of dings, but no major accident history, no dash cracks, solid mechanicals, and no perforating rust.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2021, 01:45 AM   #14
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dear friend

First and foremost, welcome to our community; I hope you will enjoy our company.

As for your comments regarding the car being overpriced and your comparisons, there are many mitigating circumstances you are not taking into consideration. Allow me to list a few:

M4GTS:

A masterpiece? Perhaps, but a practical car; ABSOLUTELY NOT. Who could ever buy one and carry 12Lt of distilled water having to fill up the reservoir every hour or two?

Was it a street-friendly daily driver? No

Was it priced reasonably? Don't make me laugh.

M3/M4 CS:

Were they great specimen? Damn right they were

Were they liked by the enthusiasts? You betcha

Were they prices to sell? Hell no

M2 CS:

Is it overpriced? Apparently yes according to those who don't have one.

Is it value for money? Apparently yes according to those who do have one.

Is it rare? Only time will tell

Is it desirable? Ask Chris Harris, Tiff Needell, Henry Catchpole, Jason Cammisa ......

Is it a worthy contender where it matters? Ask EVO car magazine which car they chose as their car of the year for 2020 and which other cars it beat for that honour.

Did it sell out quickly? That depends on who you ask. Remember, when the car went into production, this little annoying thing happened all over the world called the pandemic. If this car has only 50 specimen left in a year where 40m Americans lost their jobs, I submit, it should be self-evident how truly spectacular the reception has been for it; or not!

In conclusion my friend, when you do end up placing your order, try Alpine White, with DCT, CCB, and gold 763M wheels as that configuration is the rarest of them all at little over 4% of all known orders

Once again, welcome to our community
ptgltw3774.50
MDuckie93.00
Wah2778.50
swampfox941186.50
ohnnyj25.00
F87EVO4031.00
      02-06-2021, 06:13 AM   #15
maxxfish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I disagree that it's overpriced. Expensive? Yes. But that is different than overpriced.

When I told my good friend ptgltw that I was interested in an M2C, knowing that I like to modify cars to my own taste, he asked me what I'd do to it. I told him that I knew it would need a better suspension, I'd probably go with Ohlins. I hated the look of the stock wheels, and they were heavy, so I'd go aftermarket. I LOVED the look of the CS hood, so I'd probably swap in one of those (and certainly not the OEM one for $8K!). I though that the stock seats were meh, but I probably wouldn't spend the $ or effort to swap those. I'd probably get a CF splitter and spoiler. Maybe try to dress up the interior a bit too with some M Performance pieces. Maybe an exhaust.

He asked if I added up the cost of all that, and why not just get a CS? I did some quick math, and he was right. Add to that all of the additional improvements of the CS (and of course that roof!), plus the exclusivity of the model, and it's a winner.

Also, like ptgltw, I own an E30 M3 and an E36 M3 LTW, and am familiar with their history. They were extremely unloved when they were for sale new. People complained of the price and lack of options/amenities. "Why would I pay more for a car that doesn't have air conditioning or a radio?" sounds just like "Why would I pay more for a car that doesn't have Comfort Access?" My LTW sat new at the dealer for a year and a half! It was sold for less than MSRP. Now, 25 years later, we know what it's worth.

The story for the E30 M3 is similar, and we know what those are worth now. I think the M2CS will have the same future.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3774.50
      02-06-2021, 06:15 AM   #16
maxxfish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I disagree that it's overpriced. Expensive? Yes. But that is different than overpriced.

When I told my good friend ptgltw that I was interested in an M2C, knowing that I like to modify cars to my own taste, he asked me what I'd do to it. I told him that I knew it would need a better suspension, I'd probably go with Ohlins. I hated the look of the stock wheels, and they were heavy, so I'd go aftermarket. I LOVED the look of the CS hood, so I'd probably swap in one of those (and certainly not the OEM one for $8K!). I thought that the stock seats were meh, but I probably wouldn't spend the $ or effort to swap those. I'd probably get a CF splitter and spoiler. Maybe try to dress up the interior a bit too with some M Performance pieces. Maybe an exhaust.

He asked if I had added up the cost of all that, and why not just get a CS? I did some quick math, and he was right. Add to that all of the additional improvements of the CS (and of course that roof!), plus the exclusivity of the model, and it's a winner.

Also, like ptgltw, I own an E30 M3 and an E36 M3 LTW, and am familiar with their history. They were extremely unloved when they were for sale new. People complained of the price and lack of options/amenities. "Why would I pay more for a car that doesn't have air conditioning or a radio?" sounds just like "Why would I pay more for a car that doesn't have Comfort Access?" My LTW sat new at the dealer for a year and a half! It was sold for less than MSRP. Now, 25 years later, we know what they're worth.

The story for the E30 M3 is similar, and we know what those are worth now. I think the M2CS will have the same future. But of course that's not why you buy a car anyway!
Appreciate 3
      02-06-2021, 06:17 AM   #17
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Don't feed the trolls. Eiji is Latin for "basement that mother provides for 20 year old son".
Appreciate 2
MomoM3984.00
      02-06-2021, 06:34 AM   #18
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxfish View Post

When I told my good friend ptgltw that I was interested in an M2C, knowing that I like to modify cars to my own taste, he asked me what I'd do to it. I told him that I knew it would need a better suspension, I'd probably go with Ohlins. I hated the look of the stock wheels, and they were heavy, so I'd go aftermarket. I LOVED the look of the CS hood, so I'd probably swap in one of those (and certainly not the OEM one for $8K!). I thought that the stock seats were meh, but I probably wouldn't spend the $ or effort to swap those. I'd probably get a CF splitter and spoiler. Maybe try to dress up the interior a bit too with some M Performance pieces. Maybe an exhaust.

He asked if I had added up the cost of all that, and why not just get a CS? I did some quick math, and he was right. Add to that all of the additional improvements of the CS (and of course that roof!), plus the exclusivity of the model, and it's a winner.

Also, like ptgltw, I own an E30 M3 and an E36 M3 LTW, and am familiar with their history. They were extremely unloved when they were for sale new. People complained of the price and lack of options/amenities. "Why would I pay more for a car that doesn't have air conditioning or a radio?" sounds just like "Why would I pay more for a car that doesn't have Comfort Access?" My LTW sat new at the dealer for a year and a half! It was sold for less than MSRP. Now, 25 years later, we know what they're worth.

The story for the E30 M3 is similar, and we know what those are worth now. I think the M2CS will have the same future. But of course that's not why you buy a car anyway!
I second that, I second that lol
ptgltw3774.50
      02-06-2021, 07:11 AM   #19
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
The $135k M4 gts is not the example to use because of how expensive and track focused it is. Makes more sense to compare it to the m3/m4 cs. Still, I didn't even considered those cars because of the lack of manual transmission. I do think that the M3 cs will be highly desirable in the coming years.... i just need a 6mt in my fun cars.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2021, 07:47 AM   #20
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

M3 CS with a manual transmission would have been my choice. Wasn't offered. I lusted after he GTS but the car is not practical enough for my lifestyle. Same reason why I never pulled the trigger on a GT Porsche like my friends but got the i8 instead.

M2 CS has a manual transmission, take my money. I have been eying a used M2 in manual once prices come down, wasn't really very much in love with the car since it didn't feel that special to me personally. Similar to other posters, I was going to put money into modifying it to make it exciting to my taste. The CS is awesome as it stands, it is a car that I really like as is. I was lucky to buy one of the last ones produced.

Serra BMW called me for 5K over. My local dealer sold 2 for 5K over. And that's Illinois in the deep freeze winter :
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #21
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Lightbulb

Do I think it's overpriced? Yes. Enough to cry about? Not really . I think the car should have been around 77k. The extra is the premium paid for an exclusive model. Once you drive one you know it has the "it" factor. It feels sorted, and wants to have the snot rung out of it. If you've ever experienced a car with this character you know that it's not easy to find. Especially one that can be a great DD.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2021, 07:54 AM   #22
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M, M2CS, E46 ZHP, E53 X5

For some reason I think the OP is maybe thinking American? Like vettes and gt350?

I have no clue why those things go for way over msrp. I think because of production delays more so than limited numbers.

I agree with others here. I've owned an e30 m3 for a long time. It's a great car. For ages it was really looked upon as "the old model" "oh it's so boxy" "oh 4cyl". I'm glad I held on and kept it because I liked it. Cashed in nicely.

I think it will lose less than a comp and likely hover close to sticker or -5k for the first couple years and then start creeping up. That's for low mileage babied garage queens. Daily's will fall but nowhere near what m2 comps did. And the m2comps held their value very well!
Appreciate 1